PDA

View Full Version : How often do you think about your hair??

momschicklets
May 13th, 2015, 06:04 AM
:hmm::hmm:

So I don't exactly count :lol: but I would say I think about my hair....fairly often...maybe very often?? :p I have a very busy family life and hobbies so I can certainly forget about it for many hours, maybe even the whole day. But then my thoughts wander back and I'm thinking, "OH. I haven't thought about my hair all day. I wonder if it grew" :hmm::hmm:

What about you? How much of your brain power is dedicated to your hair?? :rolling:

Mimha
May 13th, 2015, 06:30 AM
:hmm::hmm:

So I don't exactly count :lol: but I would say I think about my hair....fairly often...maybe very often?? :p I have a very busy family life and hobbies so I can certainly forget about it for many hours, maybe even the whole day. But then my thoughts wander back and I'm thinking, "OH. I haven't thought about my hair all day. I wonder if it grew"

What about you? How much of your brain power is dedicated to your hair?? :rolling:

Ha ha ha ha momschicklets, soooo funny !! :lol: :lol:

I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only mono-maniac on earth about my hair, lol^^

Actually, unless I am super busy and my hair is up, I think about it... much too often !!... and I think I look at the length every single time I comb it ! And since I am on LHC, it's much much much worse !!! :D :D

But it's nice to be happy about something, isn't it ? :p

Linguaphilia
May 13th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I confess to being downright obsessed about it :blush so I think about it pretty much constantly. Maybe not always consciously, but it's definitely at least on the background of my mind somewhere.

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I think about it, consciously, about once a week, when it's wash day and there has to be some time devoted to it. Otherwise, benign neglect, and the thoughts that go with it. ;)

radiofreejenn
May 13th, 2015, 07:56 AM
I think because I don't have long hair I think about it more. My justification is that if I keep willing it mentally then it will happen...

Dixie_Amazon
May 13th, 2015, 08:16 AM
More since I joined here.

prettigurl
May 13th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Several times a day. I worry about snagging my strands in the car, on my clothes, under purse straps, etc.

casiopeia
May 13th, 2015, 08:38 AM
All the time. But not in anxious way.

longsword
May 13th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Several times a day, whenever I have to deal with it. More since I joined here.

curlylocks85
May 13th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Funny you should ask; I think about my hair every day. I do put it up and then I do not think about it too much, but I confess - I think about my hair all the time. :)

summergreen
May 13th, 2015, 09:47 AM
I've been thinking about my hair most of the time since I was about 14, when it started misbehaving and became the bane of my life! When I'm out I'm always worrying that it looks flat, frizzy or straggly and even when I'm home I check it when I go past mirrors, it's just become habit! I have problems with ferritin so my hair's welfare is always on my mind when choosing what to eat. If I get ill my first thought is, will this cause hair loss?! And I spend a lot of time hating my greys and feeling sad and angry about not being able to colour them. Actually I hadn't realised till now just how much time I spend thinking about hair, and its quite worrying!

Saproxylic
May 13th, 2015, 10:06 AM
I think about mine a horrible lot, I sooo want it to grow, also, thinking about hair takes my mind off worrying things and brings me to a happy place. I can spend a stressful trolly-bus ride thinking how will I get deer antler hairsticks once my hair is long enough...

Wusel
May 13th, 2015, 10:06 AM
ALWAYS! EACH AND EVERY SECOND, MINUTE, HOUR OF THE DAY!

I hope when I think about it all the time my thoughts will make it grow more and shed less. :D

LeMimi13
May 13th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Way too often! And it's such a bipolar way of seeing things.. one moment I'm super happy, the other I'm like "Qhat have I done??"

Nedertane
May 13th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Erm, I think about it as much as my nose, fingers, or toes. It's a part of my body, so I'm always conscious of it. Unless you mean in terms of looks, or growth?

missrandie
May 13th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Lol way too much! I think I would be less conscious of it if I wasn't part of this lovely forum :)

Katlette
May 13th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I think about my hair a lot when I've changed something. So, after a henna or dye session, I get infuriating: "what does it look like in this light? is it a bit too purple here? uuuh isn't it pretty in the sun" etc. When I get a new hair toy, I'll keep checking and redoing my bun and playing around with it needlessly. If everything's normal and my hair is just up, I forget about it til wash day. And, even when I'm washing, I don't actively think about my hair - unless I'm trying a new product or method. I just go through the motions of washing.

I definitely did not think about my hair this much before I joined LHC.

momschicklets
May 13th, 2015, 11:52 AM
ALWAYS! EACH AND EVERY SECOND, MINUTE, HOUR OF THE DAY!

Haha made me laugh...quite brave to confess it Wusel! I really didn't expect to hear many people say they hardly ever thought about their hair....after all, we do it so the forum can stay active, right?? :bounce::bounce:

battles
May 13th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Way too often! And it's such a bipolar way of seeing things.. one moment I'm super happy, the other I'm like "Qhat have I done??"

Do you mean that your opinion of your hair changes frequently? :flower:

divinedobbie
May 13th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I think about it way more than I should. I have to think about it every morning because I need to wash and style it. Usually somewhat forget about it for most of the time I'm away from home but I do have a lot of hair thoughts; "it's windy, my hair's going to be so tangled" "I have to remember to bring a clip to put my hair up for lab" "move it over to the other shoulder ever time I put on my backpack or purse" etc. Definitely think about it way way way more since joining this forum, never really thought about it before except when I thought about dyeing/cutting it or doing a fun deep treatment.

Nadine <3
May 13th, 2015, 03:26 PM
At least a few times a day. Usually when I need to comb and put it up for the day, or take out my bun and re braid for sleep. Wash days I think about it quite a bit when I wash, condition, wait for it to dry, then put it up. Usually I think about whether or not I want to spend the time doing a DT for several hour before I actually wash...usually something like this. "oh, I should do a DT I haven't in a long time, erg, but it takes so long to mix up stuff and it's drippy blah blah blah"

Not necessarily obsessive, but I do think about it. I can't not think about it while I'm doing my daily care routine so...

longhairvixen
May 13th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Once a day. When in getting ready to leave the house.

But on wash day which is on sundays, i think about it alot.

Hurven
May 13th, 2015, 06:07 PM
To be absolutely honest... Several times a day! Unless I'm very busy.

shulkie
May 13th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I think about my hair once or twice a day (while washing, while fixing to go to work, if something goes horribly wrong partway through the day) but what I've noticed since I've started hanging out on LHC is that I think about everyone else's hair a lot more. I was in a meeting earlier today examining my coworker's twisted ponytail thing, which I probably wouldn't have noticed a couple of months ago.

yahirwaO.o
May 13th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Way more than what I believe in a healthy standard LOL.... Just when its down I think of brushing it a lot during the day to keep nice and neat, if its bunned or braied I rarely think about it!

copperlites
May 13th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Way more than what I believe in a healthy standard LOL.... Just when its down I think of brushing it a lot during the day to keep nice and neat, if its bunned or braied I rarely think about it!

This is pretty much me too. I have been a lot more mindful of it since joining this site. I have experimented with different products, changed stylists , spent a small fortune on hair products and toys, and devoted a lot of time to researching. However, my hair is looking and feeling heaps better as a result. This makes me feel more confident about keeping my hair long and growing it even longer.

b70
May 14th, 2015, 12:32 AM
I tend to get a tiny bit obsessed when starting anything new - and now I have just started growing my hair and changing how I treat my hair so I must confess I think about it a lot. I thought it would become less of an obsession after a while, but judging from the answers to this thread that might not be the case ;)

FeatherHeather
May 14th, 2015, 12:35 AM
Probably too much. I talk about it to anyone who will listen and dispense hair advice more than I should. Since I've been growing out my natural color I've become much more invested in the process so it's on my mind more than it had been when I bleached and did unnatural semi-permanent dyes.

TwilightShadow
May 14th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Oh, probably more often than I should. Especially when I've changed something, like the color. If I wear my hair loose and have nice braid waves, I keep checking them out whenever I pass a mirror. Oh, and checking the length. Whenever I wash my hair, I check how much I have left until my next body marker, as if in a week it has magically grown an inch. It's a disease, honestly. :p

PalomaSincera
May 14th, 2015, 01:57 AM
All the time. But not in anxious way.
Exactly this.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 14th, 2015, 02:15 AM
Probably several times a day. I pretty much enjoy thinking about my hair. If I have nothing else I am thinking about, my default thoughts are generally about my hair - usually deciding what updo to wear tomorrow, or looking forward to wash day, or once a month, looking forward to hair length photo and measuring day. Or - is it time for a trim yet and if so, how much shall I take off? Lol.

RainbowBowser
May 14th, 2015, 02:19 AM
A few times a day, either "oh i gotta do an S&D session" or "I better put my hair up" "hm... do i get *insert conditioner/hair product here*", just general hair stuff.

DeadlyUnicorn
May 14th, 2015, 02:56 AM
I became quite obsessed around December/January, and shortly joined this site. :p I think about it multiple times a day, I love it so much :inlove:

Yoghurt
May 14th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Since joining the forum i think it's fair to say i've become a bit obsessed with it. Every time i pass a mirror i turn around and check if it's longer already... I'm terrible. It's such a turnaround getting from ignoring my hair almost all my life to bothering my DH if it looks longer and searching for better hair products and making plans how to take better care of it... :) Definitely obsessing over it.

Theobroma
May 14th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Less and less the closer I get to having the hair I'm working towards.

I did obsess about it a fair bit between BSL and maybe hip or so, and again starting about three years ago when I'd just lost 40% of my thickness to CO washing (only realised what the culprit was when the damage was already done). But I stopped obsessing about length when I reached my goal of classic over a year ago. Now I'm maintaining to thicken the hemline. This is going to take several more years -- shed recovery at this length is very definitely a long-term project -- but every centimetre I microtrim gets me a centimetre closer to my other goal of having a full (or at least fuller) hemline and makes me less inclined to obsess about that. I do still have moments when I'm combing out the length and the thinness of the bottom 30% or so makes me sad, but these days my approach to my hair is mostly "put it up and forget it".

Agnes Hannah
May 14th, 2015, 10:04 AM
my SO would say i was obsessed, but I say I just care about my hair and I love hairtoys, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Just before I go to sleep I think about hair and that makes me sleep better. I also think about it when I am feeling down and it helps with that too.

Ephemia
May 14th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Hair obsessive right here! When am I not thinking about my hair? 'I really ought to do some S and D.' 'I definitely need to learn how to plait my own hair.' 'Was that a snap?' 'Ooh, that's a nasty split, I hope I can find that again later.' And the list of hair thoughts goes on!

molljo
May 14th, 2015, 09:41 PM
I think about my hair once or twice a day (while washing, while fixing to go to work, if something goes horribly wrong partway through the day) but what I've noticed since I've started hanging out on LHC is that I think about everyone else's hair a lot more. I was in a meeting earlier today examining my coworker's twisted ponytail thing, which I probably wouldn't have noticed a couple of months ago.

This is how I feel, too. I don't really think a lot about my hair that much (aside from when I fix it in the morning, on wash day, things like that), but I do think about other people's hair and hair in general a huge amount. When I'm out and about I like to figure out what people's hairtypes are, assessing their damage, mentally cataloging what treatments or routine changes they should use. I'm just very aware of the hair around me, if that makes sense.

Doreen
May 14th, 2015, 11:18 PM
I probably think about it an above-average amount, but not an abnormal/unhealthy amount. Maybe crosses my mind 3-10 times a day, depending on if it's on its good behavior or not.

However I do have the bad habit of subconsciously touching my braid when it's down probably 6-15 times a day. Don't even realize I'm doing it until someone gives me a weird look.

nakima
May 17th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Alot! :lol:

endlessly
May 17th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Several times per day, if I'm being completely honest, but it's mostly only out of worry - Are my clips pulling? Is this style too tight? Is that a grey coming in? Is it starting to look too ragged? Do I need to do a mask or deep conditioner? And so on...

luvlonghair75
May 17th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Quite often throughout the day. I'll look in the mirror and think it's a mess, shrug it off and go on with my day! lol

Arctic
May 17th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Probably more than an avarage person, even on the times when I'm on a long hiatus from here - I was like that even before LHC. But the frequency mulplies when I come back here again. However, this is - thank goodness - nothing compared to when I was a new member. If I start to obsess I take another hiatus from here, because it's not healthy for me.

ETA: I don't think about gaining length almost at all anymore, nor S&Ding (because I don't do that at all anymore), and I've never been into hair accessories. I tend to think my hair's condition, scalp health, hair products, hair styles and styling, washing (as I do that almost daily), how my updo/braid(s) stays during the day and how it looks and feels, how my cowlicks behave, my hair's texture, and sometimes I wonder if I will get some/all of my thickness back.

A positive thing is, that healthy hair is a good motivator to eat enough, I have tendensy to skip meals. I don't always have this problems, but occasionally I do, like right now. I am grateful for anything that gets me to eat!

battles
May 17th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Always worst when I'm first growing out after cutting to chin again. I calm down a bit as it gets longer. :p

quirkybookworm
May 17th, 2015, 03:17 PM
It really depends. Sometimes I go weeks without thinking about my hair other than 'oh, geez, that's really getting oily. I should probably wash it.'.
Other times I think about it multiple times a day - everyday 'has it grown yet?', 'I wish it was longer!', 'I wish it was that length.', 'I want to do this bun.', 'I want to do that braid.', 'I want to try this product', or 'I want to try that product.'. Basically, just hairhairhairhair :lol:

HappyHair87
May 19th, 2015, 04:21 PM
A lot! Lol!

I think once I finally reach hip length, that's when I'll stop obsessing over it so much.

BrightEyes
May 19th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Fairly often throughout the the day. But wearing it up more helps me think of other things. Right now I have some major regrowth that is driving me crazy, so I've been thinking how I need to get it colored a lot.

FallingDarkness
May 19th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Waaaaaaaay too often. So often I don't even realize it's a problem. Probably every hour or so? :/

Pat Wright
May 20th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Way too much! But I have a lot of spare time anyway.Lol:shrug:

vpatt
June 4th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I definitely think about it more than I did when it was short.....hmmm.

mtzw
June 4th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Several times per day, if I'm being completely honest, but it's mostly only out of worry - Are my clips pulling? Is this style too tight? Is that a grey coming in? Is it starting to look too ragged? Do I need to do a mask or deep conditioner? And so on...

Same here, I think about it way to often, but it's out of worry. Am I causing damage with my sticks? Is my bun heave and willit cause shedding? Am I buying the right oils? My flyways are new hair or they are from breakage? I worry too much as I don't have good quality of hait.

Dragon Faery
June 4th, 2015, 07:37 PM
I freely admit to being obsessed!
I think about my hair quite a lot. But I always have, even when I was very little. I have a somewhat obsessive personality anyway, so of course that plays a part. My hair is usually floating around in the back of my mind somewhere, if not the front. However, I also occasionally go through periods where I get obsessed by other things and don't even realize I've worn the same sleep braid for a solid week. If the distracted periods were as long as the obsessed ones, I'd say it balances out to an average amount, but they aren't, so it doesn't. :)

hennalonghair
June 4th, 2015, 08:04 PM
In the morning when I comb and / or brush it before putting it up
In the evening when I take it down and brush it before bedtime
Wash day and henna day and whenever I'm on here , purchasing or trying on hair toys

I'm actually not that obsessed about my hair

Yarrow
June 5th, 2015, 02:26 AM
A positive thing is, that healthy hair is a good motivator to eat enough, I have tendensy to skip meals. I don't always have this problems, but occasionally I do, like right now. I am grateful for anything that gets me to eat!
Yes! Me too. It motivates me to pay more attention eating healthier food as well.

If my hair is behaving as it should, I don't think a lot about it.
If my life is busy, it also takes the back seat. But if it doesn't behave as I want it or I want procrastinate, then I can spend lots of time obsessing over my hair.

MINAKO
June 5th, 2015, 04:41 AM
I dont understand the question. How often? Seriously? Like there is anybody on here who doesnt have a part of there brain continously occupied with thought about hair? I mean like 24/7, lol. I certainly do. :lol:

Caraid♫
June 5th, 2015, 05:38 AM
I'm glad to hear others admit they are obsessed as I am! :o I think about my hair a ton (unless I'm otherwise occupied) but I consider myself a hair hobbyist, so it's all good (I just totally made that term up :p ). But really, I enjoy thinking about my hair, I'll only get worried if it keeps me from doing other important things, which it doesn't!

momschicklets
June 5th, 2015, 06:03 AM
I dont understand the question. How often? Seriously? Like there is anybody on here who doesnt have a part of there brain continously occupied with thought about hair? I mean like 24/7, lol. I certainly do. :lol:

LOL :laugh::laugh:

meisha~
June 5th, 2015, 07:27 AM
I'm pretty sure I think about mine every 0.0003 seconds. :silly:

pili
June 5th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Lots and lots.

flickm
June 5th, 2015, 08:56 AM
A lot. always have done, all my life. Even when i was little, i hated having it cut. If I'm reading (or writing) a novel, i want the characters' hair colours, length, etc to be described. The first thing I notice about other people is their eyes, and then their hair. Since I've started hennaing again, I'm a hairaholicI look at it continually in different lights. LOL, I'm an obsessive!

Dragon Faery
June 6th, 2015, 01:38 AM

LOL yes! :joy:

I'm glad to hear others admit they are obsessed as I am! :o I think about my hair a ton (unless I'm otherwise occupied) but I consider myself a hair hobbyist, so it's all good (I just totally made that term up :p ). But really, I enjoy thinking about my hair, I'll only get worried if it keeps me from doing other important things, which it doesn't!

Haha, I was describing myself in my head as a hair hobbyist just today!

A lot. always have done, all my life. Even when i was little, i hated having it cut. If I'm reading (or writing) a novel, i want the characters' hair colours, length, etc to be described. The first thing I notice about other people is their eyes, and then their hair. Since I've started hennaing again, I'm a hairaholicI look at it continually in different lights. LOL, I'm an obsessive!

Yes, all of this. Except that I notice hair first, and then maybe eyes. A good friend of mine once shaved his beard off and I didn't recognize him for a long time. :hmm:

iYaap
June 6th, 2015, 03:12 AM
I think about hair all the time and the longer my hair gets the more pleasant my thoughts are.
And I don't only think about my own hair I look for inspiration on the web several times per day.

ashke50
June 6th, 2015, 08:42 AM
On a normal work day I think about my hair when I get up and put it up, and then at the end of the day when I go to bed, unless my bun is pulling or its very windy, and my wispies start coming out and attacking me. But if I have a new hair toy, or am trying out a new style I think about it more often, and may well take a couple of pictures of the back of my head during the day to see how it looks.
When I'm not busy I'll find myself thinking about my hair a bit more often, thinking of new styles to try, new toys to consider, whether I want to make any changes to my routine...
As several people have said already in this thread, I am much more hair aware than I used to be, and whenever I see people I'll notice their hair, how it's styled, if if looks healthy etc.

Daylilly
June 6th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I think about my hair everyday and it makes me happy to see I am making progress. I enjoy caring for it oiling, washing, deep conditioning and styling.

Pinni
June 6th, 2015, 03:40 PM
I think it all the time. Too much recently. And I feel I don't take good (enough) care of it.

Eleven
June 6th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Mostly in the morning and in the evening, when I'm wearing it down to go to bed/when I'm just awake.
Then I'm like: 'GROWWWWWW!'. But then I dim the lights, forget about it again and go to sleep. :D
I'm trying the neglect method, so thinking about it every moment of the day would not be very neglecty, right? ;)

Éowyn_GreyEyes
June 6th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I try not to think about its growth or condition because it gets to be a nagging worry, but I 100% think about it in a way that I'm always keeping it out of things, wondering if it looks messy, thinking about how nice it smells with oil in it, and how bada** it feels when its down >:P