PDA

View Full Version : Time to ask for advice: help?

Entangled
May 12th, 2015, 08:33 PM
I've more or less been on a benign neglect haircate routine. I switch back and forth between what I have in the shower, which is suave naturals rainforest something or other s and c, and a sulphate free l'oreal shampoo plus a final vinegar rinse. I've played around with order as well as what I put on it, but sulphate, non-sulphate, or one of the above plus conditioner on the scalp yeilds around the same results: very greasy by the end of day two (I wash at night). Any tips on how to make my scalp less greasy? Stretching washes doesn't seem to help, and greatly multiplies hairfall (as in, triple the shedding of I stretch an extra day)

Problem number two is this: does anybody know why GOING, not (cooing) longer without washing would result in shedding?

Cowgirl16
May 13th, 2015, 02:08 AM
I think it is the vinegar rinse making your hair greasy. Anyone else?

picklepie
May 13th, 2015, 02:22 AM
I think it makes sense not to put conditioner on your scalp if it's greasy?

Obsidian
May 13th, 2015, 04:37 AM
I can't use condition and vinegar together, it makes my hair greasy and weighed down. If I can get away with just vinegar, I'll use that only. Conditioner always has a tendency to make my hair oily by the next day, especially if I get it on my scalp.

kitcatsmeow
May 13th, 2015, 05:15 AM
I'm going to agree with Obsidian and say try no conditioner and just use the vinegar rinse. Another solution might be to use a lighter conditioner (cone free) vinegar rinse then rinse the vinegar. This is what I do. You will still be getting the benefits on the scalp or balancing the Ph as well as removing residue but it may not cause the greasies. Also try and stretch that 3d day between every wash and try a light scalp massage with teatree oil. It's very calming to the scalp. Notice if the hair fall is less between every 3 days if you do this. Sometimes you just have to push through to get your hair used to stretching.

Nique1202
May 13th, 2015, 05:57 AM
The hair from your front hairline down to your shoulders will all get the benefits of your sebum, and there's really no need to use globs of conditioner above the shoulders unless your scalp is chronically dry. You can take the residue left on your fingers and run it over the canopy after you've applied the conditioner to your ends, but if your scalp is anything like mine conditioner and oil getting near it will massively shorten the time it looks not-greasy. I don't even condition the hair on my head after clarifying because my scalp will sort it all out soon enough.

As for shedding when stretching washes, I wonder if some of that isn't just because the conditioner is irritating the scalp over time. The shed stops when you wash the conditioner off, right? The molecules in the conditioner could react to your body heat and break down into some kind of irritant that shows up only on the third day if it's a slow reaction. It might be worth keeping conditioner away from your scalp entirely and seeing if you still get the same shedding by stretching washes.

Theobroma
May 13th, 2015, 06:15 AM
I think it's normal to shed less per wash if you wash frequently and more if you wash less often. Happens to me as well. It's almost as though the shed will be x hairs for daily washing, 2x for washing every other day, 3x for going three days, etc. -- but in the final analysis there's about the same number of hairs coming out per week either way. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it -- I wash every five to seven days and shed a handful of hair every time, but I'm not losing thickness. In fact, I've recovered thickness since a severe shed three years ago.

That said, I shed fistfuls if I allow conditioner (or oil) anywhere near my scalp, and I also shed more if I scrub my scalp a lot during washing. So I'd advise you to try conditioning from the nape down only, and to think about whether you're manipulating your scalp more if you go longer between washes. Are you perhaps scrubbing more vigorously to get the extra grease out?

Entangled
May 13th, 2015, 06:31 AM
(This was directed at Nique upward; I'll get to you Theombra)
No, actually. The shed happens no matter what I put on my hair. I've done a few things:
Shampoo only
Shampoo and vinegar rinse
Shampoo, light conditioner 'gloss' (getting a little conditioner on my hands and putting it on)
Shampoo and full-on conditioner
Shampoo and full-on conditioner plus vinegar rinse

Conditioner only (this is the only sure-fire Bad Response, as it makes my hair greasy faster every time).
Conditioner plus vinegar: same as above
(Some times I also use a very coney conditioner, but that's only on my length)
Suave naturals are cone free, but the shampoo isn't sulphate free. The main ingredient is sodium lauryleth sulphate. I don't remember the main ingredients in the L'oreal.
Hairfall after stretching for more than two days has been happening ever since before I experimented with routines and doesn't change regardless of what I seem to do, although it's important to note that I'm not counting or anything, and I've been fingercombing, so I don't have an extremely accurate count. I'm just going by averages.

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Some people shed due to CO! Be aware of that.

I'm oily and can't CO for that reason (and due to SD). I use the harshest sulfates possible, and wash stretched within reason (2 weeks is too much and 1 week is okay). Normally I'd need to wash 2/3 times a week.

Entangled
May 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Yep, I'm aware of that. I'm thinking I need to restart a hair journal so I can keep track of exactly what each combination does. I didn't notice a shedding difference with conditioner, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. More experimentation needed!

Entangled
May 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
snip
That said, I shed fistfuls if I allow conditioner (or oil) anywhere near my scalp, and I also shed more if I scrub my scalp a lot during washing. So I'd advise you to try conditioning from the nape down only, and to think about whether you're manipulating your scalp more if you go longer between washes. Are you perhaps scrubbing more vigorously to get the extra grease out?
The shedding occurs when my hair is dry, before I wash on day three, when I'm brushing or fingercombing.

Also, I edited my original post, as autocorrect changed (some approximation of) going to cooing, which looks like COing, which might mislead the idea, by the way!