PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone! Total Newbie here needing help!

WhimsicalWillow
May 12th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Hi everyone! I am so happy to finally be a part of this community after being a lurker for the past couple of weeks. My last trim was in October and while I had medium-long hair before that, I have been growing my hair ever since! Unfortunately, I have really baby fine thin hair. I have tried to put coconut oil in my hair and use conditioner but it makes my hair extremely stringy looking right after. Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Also, I used to love using curling irons to curl my hair about once a week to give it more volume and more of a "polished" Kate Middleton-esque look but now I am trying to switch to sponge curlers instead... I also have been braiding my hair every night to try to prevent breakage and I also like the waves it creates.

How can I figure out my hair type? I want to add in my hair stats but I don't know how. I am a total newbie to all of this!
My hair is very very very fine.... I am actually scheduling a dermatology appointment because I am concerned that I could be losing hair. Every time I put my fingers through my hair, about 2 strands comes out! Also, on my left side near the temple it is so thin there that it looks like I'm balding... I am actually really paranoid about it and I've been losing sleep over it :/... Also, I notice that my hair "snaps" VERY easily... if I tough my hair the wrong way too quickly it will "snap!" or if I comb my hair I will hear snaps. I can't tell if this is a new thing happening or if I am just paying more attention over this.

The vitamins that I am taking include: One a day Women's Multivitamin, Vitamin B complex, Biotin, Iron, (any other recommendations for growing stronger beautiful strands?)
Also currently using: Folicure volumizing shampoo sometimes use John Frieda Volume Shampoo and Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo (I tend to switch between shampoos after about a month or so)
I use a suave dry shampoo. I try to shampoo every 2 days even though my hair gets very very very greasy quick.... especially in the summer, it will get greasy by the end of the day even if I already shampooed that morning!
I have a love/hate relationship with conditioners. Paul Mitchel's Tea Tree Conditioner never seemed to make it super flat however, I have tried John Frieda's thickening strand repair conditioner with inca oil and it makes it VERY FLAT...
Argon oil makes it flat, coconut oil makes it flat, Whole Foods 360 brand conditioner in mint and it made it terribly flat and stringy, and now I've been using Suave volumizing shampoo and it makes it flat :(.
I also use Johnson's detanglizing spray for when I get out of the shower since my hair "snaps" easily during combs.... Occasionally I will use a tresemme volumizing mousse and hairspray.

I appreciate ANY and ALL advice from you wise ladies :)!

Ephemia
May 12th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Hello from a fellow newbie. :)

As far as your hair type's concerned, there's a hairtyping guide here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

I strongly suspect that a lot of what you're worried about is just that - worry! Before coming here I was convinced I had incredibly thin hair, that I'd suffered alopecia and that my follicles had miniaturised. Some of that may well be true, but according to the hairtyping guide I'm of average thickness and most of my strands don't qualify as fine. I have a horrible looking mess of a parting, but I might have to accept it's always been like that. I still worry a little because that's my nature, but if there really is nothing wrong with my hair I guess I can live with the horrible, thin way it sometimes looks.

Welcome, and hopefully other members will be along soon to give you some tips!

gthlvrmx
May 12th, 2015, 04:43 PM
There is this photo I found that helps with hair typing http://www.blackhairinformation.com/general-articles/grading-system-for-natural-hair-typesare-they-annoying-you-too/
How much biotin are you taking? There is this blog post from a former member that might be helpful http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

The heat styling most likely caused damage and damaged hair is damaged hair. Eventually it has to be cut off if you want healthier hair. Damaged hair sometimes causes tangles and it may look like it is full of white dots or splits.
As for your hairloss problem, the average hair shed is 50-150 strands a day. You might have nothing to worry about unless you have noticed your hair circumference decrease (for example, 3 inches down to 1.5 inches).
The more you shampoo, the more your scalp will have to pump out more sebum and oils to cover your hair. Shampoo strips your hair of its natural oils and once that happens, your scalp tries to replace all that was lost to protect your hair. Some people, including me, have stretched their washes and have noticed they have less greasy hair just from not washing our hair so often (or even from not using shampoo at all anymore).

How much oil are you using? You should only be using a tiny amount. Less is more when it comes to oil. Too much oil will make your hair look greasy and oily. You will get that "flat" look with too much oil. For the coconut oil, a small scrape of the oil with your fingernail (1 finger not all of them) is more than enough.

AZDesertRose
May 12th, 2015, 05:21 PM
First off, welcome to the board!

With regard to oil, yes, less is more. Also, start by putting just a little teensy amount on; you can always add more if you feel like your hair needs it, but once it's on your hair, it's hard to get it back off short of re-washing.

A boar bristle brush (around here, we usually just say BBB for that) will help distribute the oil evenly and smooth your hair, although if you're worried about it looking too flat, smoothing is probably the least of your worries, LOL. (I mean that as gentle, good-natured teasing, not anything unkind.)

You will probably have to experiment to find what works for your hair. Some hair doesn't like silicone-derived ingredients in hair care products (such as shampoos and conditioners); these ingredients will have names ending in -cone (such as dimethicone). (There's another ending for -cones, and I can't remember it off the top of my head.) Some hair loves cones.

Also, coconut oil may not be the right oil for your hair (mine loves it, but YMMV). Some people like jojoba oil (which is a bit pricey but you don't need much of it), some people like argan oil (which I find too heavy for my hair, but as I said, YMMV), some people like extra-virgin olive oil (often abbreviated as EVOO--yes, the same stuff you use in cooking :D )

When I comb my hair, I lose at least 10 strands, but I also have fairly thick hair, so that's par for the course for me. I would truly not get panicky about losing a strand or two when combing or finger-detangling. With regard to the snapping, you may be combing too fast or too hard. Be gentle and you may find it snaps less often or not at all.

Again, welcome to the board! :)

endlessly
May 12th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Welcome! Since a few have already recommended options for identifying your hair type, I won't include any information about that. Firstly, try not to worry too much and definitely don't lose sleep about losing strands - it's completely normal to lose between 100-150 per day, so if you're still within that range, you're perfectly normal and healthy. If you're losing a bit more, then it's something you'll need to address with your doctor and stressing about it will unfortunately make it worse.

Since we have completely different hair types, I can't give you too much personal advice on products since most of mine are ultra-ultra moisturizing and wouldn't respond well in your hair, however, there are some different tips you can certainly try. Because of your hair type, it's probably going to be impossible to avoid the stringy look, so I'd only suggest oiling your hair when you know you're going to wash it, that way you still get the benefit of an oil, but you don't have to deal with flat hair. As for volume, versus using a lot of heat products, you could always spray your hair with a sea salt spray before braiding it, letting it sit overnight, then unbraid and shake out in the morning - even those with thin hair will get that voluminous beachy look using this tip, so give it a try. Otherwise, dry shampoo is probably going to be your best friend - it soaks up the oil plus will give you some great (albeit temporary) volume.

As for the snapping, sometimes it just happens no matter how gentle you are with your hair and in your case since you used to use heat styling more frequently, it might just be past damage catching up with you. You can try some protein treatments to strengthen your strands, but I've learned that sometimes, it just can't be avoided. Basically, don't stress out, you're not alone!

WhimsicalWillow
May 12th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Since I love love love the volume that curly hair gives me... do you ladies recommend that I use sponge curlers? Would that cause breakage while sleeping?

Glynis72
May 12th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I have some fine strands and my hair was thinner when I started growing it out. When I first started oiling my hair I used olive oil and only on the very ends. I would oil the tassel of my sleep braid and only on nights it felt like it needed it. I found this the easiest way to not go over board. Now I feel like I am growing a relationship with my hair where I feel like it sort of tells me what it needs. I am still learning, but it is very rewarding. Good luck to you and welcome!

lilin
May 12th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Welcome to LHC! You've gotten a ton of helpful tips already, but something I don't see mentioned...

First, just to be clear, I don't think you should worry too much about balding. The sorts of health conditions that cause women to bald are usually pretty noticeable, and it is perfectly normal to shed several dozen hairs a day.

It is also normal to have different hair growth on each side of your scalp. I have a thin patch directly above my ear -- just one side! And I am certain I am not balding. I've been like this forever, and I have quite a lot of hair overall. My hair line is also a little different on each side.

However, you might be losing more hair than normal due to how many vitamins you're taking. Yes, really. Chances are, you don't need any of these. The diet of a Western person is rarely ever deficient in anything, apart from sometimes Vitamin D. Biotin in particular, you are probably taking far too much. And when it comes to vitamins and nutrients, more is not always better. Taking more than your body needs will not simply produce better growth. In many cases, all it will do is make your body work harder to dispose of all the excess -- there's only so much it can use. In some cases, excess can actually cause problems, one of which can be greater hair shed.

If you are eating an adequate diet, I find it highly unlikely that any of these supplements are doing you much good. If you are not eating an adequate diet, then that's where you should focus rather than taking vitamins. Your body is much better at utilizing food than it is at utilizing pills -- you'll get more out of a good diet. I would recommend you consult your doctor about this and see what they have to say too.

gthlvrmx
May 12th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Since I love love love the volume that curly hair gives me... do you ladies recommend that I use sponge curlers? Would that cause breakage while sleeping?

The sponge may cause some damage, even if it is small. I don't have much information on sponge curlers, maybe someone else will chime in on that. Have you tried cocoon curls? You can make the curls bigger by using large sections of hair or tighter or smaller by using small sections of hair. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAPHSAPshJE

Best thing about the cocoon curls, you don't need anything to tie your hair down. All you need is your fingers, water, and your hair. You can try it after you wash your hair.

WhimsicalWillow
May 13th, 2015, 01:59 AM
My hair has a hard time curling. For instance, if I get out of the shower and use some mousse and attempt too "scrunch" it still falls limp with a very teeny tiny slight wave but no way scrunchy or curly/wavy at all. I seem to get the best waves from braids but also that is why I am interested in the sponge curlers since I think it will curl my hair best without causing any heat damage... Unfortunately, breakage is a huge concern of mine since my hair has been snapping very easily. Thank you ladies for all your advice too. I have so much to learn it is so overwhelming! Lilin, you really calmed me down about the potential hair loss. Thank you so much, I appreciate the time you took to post that. I will admit I am very self-conscious about my hair and I panic about it on a daily basis.

WhimsicalWillow
May 13th, 2015, 02:09 AM
I suffered from Vitamin D deficiency last year. I should probably start back on those supplements. I am currently taking 10,000 mcg of Biotin. I will admit that my diet isn't the best. I am in college so I am always on the go and my main meals are short throughout the day mostly consisting of protein bars, yogurt, and cottage cheese with deli meats and when I have time to cook a nice meal, I'll have chicken or fish for protein. I need to really work on adding more protein into my diet.

lilin
May 13th, 2015, 04:05 AM
I suffered from Vitamin D deficiency last year. I should probably start back on those supplements. I am currently taking 10,000 mcg of Biotin. I will admit that my diet isn't the best. I am in college so I am always on the go and my main meals are short throughout the day mostly consisting of protein bars, yogurt, and cottage cheese with deli meats and when I have time to cook a nice meal, I'll have chicken or fish for protein. I need to really work on adding more protein into my diet.

I'm glad you found it reassuring! Hair lines are kind of like eyebrows: "sisters, not twins." Also keep in mind that stress can cause hair shed too! Try to do something relaxing and nice for your hair, like maybe a good scalp massage or something.

Yes, Vitamin D is the one thing that Westerners are often deficient in, usually because we don't get enough sun. I am sometimes slightly deficient in Vitamin D during the winter months too.

However, practically no one is deficient in biotin. The daily requirement of biotin is only 2.5mg, and you're taking 5 times that much. This can cause problems with your blood sugar, and your body's ability to process other nutrients. It also isn't going to make your hair grow -- your body will just try to get rid of all the excess.

Protein is good though! Try some trail mix with nuts, for something you can munch on the go that's high in protein. When you have time to cook, leafy greens and chick peas are pretty good. Red meat is of course the most protein dense.

lilin
May 13th, 2015, 04:07 AM

I'm glad you found it reassuring! Hair lines are kind of like eyebrows: "sisters, not twins." Also keep in mind that stress can cause hair shed too! Try to do something relaxing and nice for your hair, like maybe a good scalp massage or something.

Yes, Vitamin D is the one thing that Westerners are often deficient in, usually because we don't get enough sun. I am sometimes slightly deficient in Vitamin D during the winter months too.

However, practically no one is deficient in biotin. The daily requirement of biotin is only 2.5mg, and you're taking 5 times that much. This can cause problems with your blood sugar, and your body's ability to process other nutrients. It also isn't going to make your hair grow -- your body will just try to get rid of all the excess.

Protein is good though! Try some trail mix with nuts, for something you can munch on the go that's high in protein. When you have time to cook, leafy greens and chick peas are pretty good. Red meat is of course the most protein dense.

gwenalyn
May 13th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Check out the no-heat curling thread. Lots of methods there!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129604&highlight=no-heat+curls

It takes a lot of trial-and-error, though! I am particularly fond of the wrap-hair-around-a-scrunchie method.

About the shedding and the hairline, those are all completely normal. Basically everyone has some wonkiness to their hairline. Recently I counted my shed hairs over two days, and I only shed ~20 hairs a day. Previously, I thought I was shedding 100! I can pull out shed hairs on-demand, too.