PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about wavy/curly hair... really didnt know how to put it

unicornlady
May 12th, 2015, 03:59 PM
I asked this but on a wrong thread obviously as I didnt know where to put it, because I didnt want to open another thread. Seems I have to.

Okay... soooo... they all tell us that curly and wavy people should not brush their hair. Which means... what hairstyles can we have except sock bun, if any?

Any other style, like braid or whatever, requires brushing (I think? you cant just like that braid curls or stronger wave or make updo with them).
So anyone whose hair isnt straight is condemned to have nothing except sock bun or loose hair OR break their hair whenever they want to make an updo or braid??? :confused: I am aware this is a stupid question but I really wish to know how this works with long hair if you detangle in shower ONLY?

lapushka
May 12th, 2015, 04:01 PM
My hair is only detangled once a week, pre-wash (comb/brush) and post-wash (comb). Then the rest of the week it is left as is. I have found no issues with braiding it like that or bunning it like that (not detangled).

LeMimi13
May 12th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I'm a wavy and I can wear my hair up!
You can totally twist it to make a cinnammon or a lazy wrap bun. You have to pull it a bit or tou could actually use a wide tooyhed comb and then pull tight (or try the tangle teezer! Just dont expect to have your waves/vurls back until you wet your hair after using yhat amazing brush! ). Twist, twist, twist !:)

Freija
May 12th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Most wavies and some curlies can comb, with a wide-toothed comb or just with fingers, and some can even brush with the right kind of brush. I do both. For a quick updo, if my hair isn't too tangled, I'll just quickly fingercomb/smooth through the worst tangles. If my hair is more knotty and/or I want a neater updo, then I'll gently fingercomb through my hair and then brush it very slowly with a large, widely-spaced wooden quill brush.

It can also help to brush or comb through your hair and then put it in a plait or a bun while it's still actually damp, if you know you're going to want to wear it up until the next wash and don't mind your curls being (temporarily) straightened out. I often do this.

I wear my hair in everything from English, French, Dutch, rope and fishtail plaits to cinnabuns, plaited buns, lazy wrap buns, pencil buns and disc buns. I'm currently trying to learn how to do crown plaits, four-strand plaits and nautilus buns, and the only limitation is my own clumsiness and lack of hair. : )

Arctic
May 12th, 2015, 04:12 PM
That recommendation is mostly for curlies and borderline curlies, or wavies who are prone to frizz, IF they are planning to wear their hair curly. Many who have long hair are more interested in the length than getting perfect curl: if a person is going to put the hair up anyway, why bother keeping perfect curls.

And it's also about aesthetics: some people prefere defined curl/waves, and some like the brushed look. It's also about the hairtype as a whole, if person has very thick curly hair, it is more likely to turn into a big cloud when brushed, but someone with thinner hair might get "tamer" results. Some people's hair might become almost straight. And on top of these, it's also about fashion: remember the 1980???

That being said, there are many who have actual problems with getting a comb through their dry hair. Then ofcourse combing is not a good idea. But it your hair allows you to comb when dry, and you like the results, why not.

But if someone doesn't detangle throughtly between washes yet doesn't wear their curls out, there are many hairstyles that can be done. Hair doesn't need to be freshly detangled to put it up. Think about kinky curly hair, for example. Ths hairtype doesn't usually do well with dry detangling (between washes), yet think about the amazingly beautiful hairstyles that are possible to make!

Oh my, I notice I am rambling and not really giving an answers to your questions :D

unicornlady
May 12th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Yep t.t. is GOOD! edit: but I get VERY frizzy if I brush dry! lol

I guess the thing is I expected the bun to look sleek and not messy lol... :whistles: Idk about braids though, I cant braid mine unless its brushed. Curious to hear the experiences of others.

unicornlady
May 12th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Oh my, I notice I am rambling and not really giving an answers to your questions :D

Actually your response is helpful!

Yes I'm wavy/mild curly but I'm one of the people who cant comb my hair dry - unless I'm in the mood to snap through hair and make damage! Then it also looks frizzy.

I'm curious about... 1. more updos for wavy hair and such!

2. Also... if someone wants to wear their hair up that week, and they want to stop the curls from forming... damp is already late for me - mess forms FAST!... is it not damaging to wrap it straight and then use something like this:

http://www.saloninfo.rs/prodaja-kozmetike/image.php?type=T&id=2618

cathair
May 12th, 2015, 04:28 PM
It is confusing when you read that wavy and curly hair people shouldn't brush their hair!

The way I do mine is, I finger comb mine before I put it up. Seems to be least destructive to waves (and least damaging in general). I can get all the tangles out that way, otherwise they would be worse when I took it down. I don't ever really use a brush or a comb on the length, but I do use a fine tooth comb to smooth the top out when it put it up.

Like Arctic said, that only makes sense not to comb if you are going to wear your hair down. If you're not going to wear it down and like brushing or combing, then there is no reason not to do it before you put your hair up.

I was avoiding cones for a long time too, because I read they were bad for wavy hair. I've started again and it has made my hair less wavy. But it's so much easier to detangle and braid, it's a joy. If I know I want to wear it down and wurly, I can always clarify and use something cone free for that occasion. But that kind of occasion is becoming increasingly rare.

gthlvrmx
May 12th, 2015, 05:17 PM
I asked this but on a wrong thread obviously as I didnt know where to put it, because I didnt want to open another thread. Seems I have to.

Okay... soooo... they all tell us that curly and wavy people should not brush their hair. Which means... what hairstyles can we have except sock bun, if any?

Any other style, like braid or whatever, requires brushing (I think? you cant just like that braid curls or stronger wave or make updo with them).
So anyone whose hair isnt straight is condemned to have nothing except sock bun or loose hair OR break their hair whenever they want to make an updo or braid??? :confused: I am aware this is a stupid question but I really wish to know how this works with long hair if you detangle in shower ONLY?

I honestly never do sock buns. My hair is curly and I can do a simple peacock twist and a cinnabun. There usually isn't much combing/brushing/detangling required to put my hair up. Just because you don't comb or brush your hair does not mean you are stuck with wearing your hair in a sock bun or loose. I used to make many different updo's without combing my hair much when it was longer and it worked fine for me.

The reason curlies and wavies are told to not brush their hair is because it turns poofy and frizzy, which is what some people dislike if they wear their hair loose. If you put your hair in an updo, who cares if it's poofy?

Wildcat Diva
May 12th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I do not have to detangle to make a bun.

I also can comb only the hair right at my scalp and lift up the comb before it hits tangle universe (ends) if I want a smoother scalp area for my bun.

Wildcat Diva
May 12th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I do not have to detangle to make a bun.

I also can comb only the hair right at my scalp and lift up the comb before it hits tangle universe (ends) if I want a smoother scalp area for my bun.

Glynis72
May 12th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I used to never comb my hair dry a la curly girl and I usually wore it down or half up. When I started growing hair I got a BBB and started combing and brushing dry. It made and awful poof, but I just oiled it and put it up. Recently I felt that this is too damaging to my hair so I started experimenting. I have for the last 3 weeks used the SMT deep conditioning after my weekly CO wash and then conditioned after rinsing this. I then use the LOC method for styling. My hair is becoming so moisturizer with this routine that I can do any style I want without combing or brushing. I am thinking about adding some rinse out oil to the routine next. I didn't even realize how thirsty my hair was until I started doing this.

I got the idea for a more moisturizing routine from lapushka, who has totally enviable hair.

Quixii
May 12th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Just jumping in to agree with what other people have said. :)

I mostly do buns that don't require sections, and thus don't require detangling.
If I do want to do a sectioned bun, like a braided bun, then I'll either gently finger-detangle as much as the braid requires, or I will brush it out. Brushing curly hair does make it explode in frizz, but if you're just going to put it up or braid it, it really doesn't matter. Once you watch it and dry it again, it'll be back to its normal curly self.
I think the big "RAWR DON'T BRUSH CURLY HAIR" warning thing is just with the expectation that you actually want to have defined curls at that moment. Those aren't really necessary for updos.

kitschy
May 12th, 2015, 08:57 PM
I can never do a decent looking sock bun, but cinnabun, peacock twists, and messy buns definitely work well with my unbrushed curly mess. The best thing about curly hair is my updos stay all day. I can even do several type buns without any clips, sticks or pins - it's like having a hair full of velcro.

Alex Lou
May 12th, 2015, 10:57 PM
I brush my hair. If I want clumpy waves back, I just twist it into a bun for a little while, then let it down.

Ferngear
May 12th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Here's a trick that seems to work well, at least for me: I keep a spritzer bottle of water on my bathroom sink. If my wavy/curly hair (depending on the weather) has gone straight, either from being loosely twisted up or the air is dry and hot (like it is lately), I bend over so my hair hangs down in front of me and give it a light spritzing. Then I scrunch it with my fingers, and the waves regain their shape. If I really want to make it curly, I'll scrunch it up against the top of my head, pin it in place with several long bobby pins, and leave it crumpled up for half an hour or so. It invigorates the bounce in my hair, and often will shorten it by six inches just from being fluffy. Like most people who've posted, I just finger comb once in a while and then detangle once a week when I wash it. If I brush it, it straightens out and gets frizzy, but then the air here is very dry. I wear buns, braids, and other up-dos all the time, and when I twist my hair to coil it I twist it loosely and only enough that it will hold its shape, then pin it. It doesn't look messy at all.

YvetteVarie
May 13th, 2015, 06:33 AM
I finger comb to smooth my hair down. If I'm going for the really sleek look, I apply gel, finger comb, bun, and then tie a scarf over my hair for 5 - 10 minutes. Then, voila, a sleek bun.If I'm braiding I finger comb as I braid. Like Kitschy, I take advantage of having a head of velcro. Curly hair is great for doing updos :)

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 06:47 AM
I got the idea for a more moisturizing routine from lapushka, who has totally enviable hair.

Thanks for calling that wild mane of mine enviable. ;) :D No, I'm really thankful! I'm glad it works for you. It's the reason why I can get away with detangling only once. Moisture moisture moisture, that's my mantra! :D

Auni
May 13th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Brushing wavy/curly hair dry results in a big bush of frizz. Putting it up for me requires some finess and selection, not quite as fast as I'd like but it can be done. You could look into some heatless waves and damp/wet buning if your going for a sleeker look, this is what I usually do; I throw it in a wet bun post shower, take it down occasionally to help air the length, then put it back up. At the end of the day my ends are usually still damp and will wave/curl, but my scalp area is straight and sleek and I can do whatever I want...Unless the frizz monster is lurking!:scared:

Madora
May 13th, 2015, 07:25 AM

My hair is slightly wavy and I brush it every day. That being said, brushing your hair is not required to create updos. A wide tooth comb can help you create many updos. For the sake of your hair, however, you should always detangle your hair completely before you start any updo. Why? Because if your hair is free of snarls, tangles, mats BEFORE you start, you're way ahead of the game as far as managability of your hair is concerned. As anyone who has braided hair can attest, tangle free hair is easier to braid than hair that has not been detangled beforehand.

Half the battle of working with long hair is making sure to detangle it SLOWLY and gently, with a wide tooth comb.

elea
May 13th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Fine, curls, waist and only brushed once a week before I "wash". the rest of the time, fingers do fine for any hair-do.
I think it might be a question of habit but I never had any problems.

spidermom
May 13th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Buns hold better for me if I don't comb, much less brush, my hair first. I'm not looking for sleek or perfect, though. I actually prefer a bit of messiness. I have to comb my hair before I braid it to get the tangles out, otherwise I can't separate out strands.

ExpectoPatronum
May 13th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Personally, if I'm leaving my hair down, I don't brush or comb it. Hell, I don't even detangle it unless I'm washing it.

If I'm going to be braiding it, I usually brush it. As long as I take my time and work through the tangles, I don't get a lot of breakage. I'll usually oil it at that time too.

TrapperCreekD
May 13th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Wurly here, echoing what the others have said. The don't brush/comb curly hair is about preserving the curl pattern and reducing frizz (also dry combing - without conditioner - can be damaging for tighter curlies), which can be a problem if you wear your hair down. Curly hair shouldn't limit what updos you can do. Me, I barely finger comb the first couple days then comb it out every day once it starts getting too messy. If you want it to revert back to curls, just get it wet again!

Hairkay
May 13th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I finger comb to smooth my hair down. If I'm going for the really sleek look, I apply gel, finger comb, bun, and then tie a scarf over my hair for 5 - 10 minutes. Then, voila, a sleek bun.If I'm braiding I finger comb as I braid. Like Kitschy, I take advantage of having a head of velcro. Curly hair is great for doing updos :)

I haven't used a brush in years. I've tried the scarf thing, without gel though. It works very well. According to my aesthetics, hair doesn't have to look sleek so most times I just go with letting my curl pattern be. I've done all sorts of braids, twists, flat twists, cornrows, buns, pony tails and some updos. It's healthier for my hair strands to stay away from brushing so avoiding the brush is more than not messing up curl patterns.