PDA

View Full Version : Oktoberfest hairstyles

Chromis
October 3rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Last night we found a lovely dirndl on consignment just in time for next week's Oktoberfest (Sadly the lederhosen were all much, much too expensive to have my husband join in on the dressing up, but someday!)

I haven't a shot at knitting myself a pair of socks in time but I do have white stockings to go with it. What I'm not sure of is what to do with my hair. Most of the pictures I've seen had their hair down, but also had much shorter hair. I've also seen monkey swings, but understand that is normally a young girl's style. I'm thinking a false crown braid might be appropriate? One braid or two?

For the interested or those wondering what I'm talking about, here's the dress we found:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2910028734_3bf323a0b8.jpg

I even picked up a lovely jacket to go with it since the weather has been so cold!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2099/2910029938_0b44ebd6ba.jpg

KatKeRo
October 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Frenchbraided crownbraid or french braids where the braid ends up being bunned.

Chromis
October 3rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
I don't know how to do "real" crown braids quite yet, though that is the hairstyle I would most like to learn! I haven't yet figured how to do double French braids yet and I haven't figured out what's going wrong, but I'll keep working on them! A single French braid I can do and buns I can do though!

Apparently I have a great deal of love for exclamation marks right now!

Isilme
October 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
well, make a fake crown braid then:) just braid your hair and wrap it around your head.

Chromis
October 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
well, make a fake crown braid then:) just braid your hair and wrap it around your head.

Those I can do! I just wanted to make sure they were appropriate to the outfit :)

Wavelength
October 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Crown braids (fake or otherwise) are definitely appropriate. I've been in KW for 21 years and through many Oktoberfests, and I see someone wearing braids with their drindl at least once every year. I think you'll look perfect. :D

ole gray mare
October 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Um...how about Heidi Braids! That sounds quite German to me!

Thanks for reminding me that I have a lovely Dirndl. I wonder if I can fit into it? I'll have to give it a try.

Cheers,
OGM :flowers:

Tapioca
October 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
I second the Heidi braids, but I have to know. What are monkey swings?

Magdalene
October 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
I third the Heidi braids! Or any braids, really.

also wondering what monkey swings are?

Elphie
October 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
I would guess it's having looped braids, one on each side of the head, shaped like a gymnast's rings?

Chromis
October 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I know I've seen the German name for them floating around the old boards, but of course I couldn't find it lol. It's a pair of English braids low to the side than have their bottom ends looped and the tail tucked into the top, which makes the swing!

Here's a picture I found: http://lindsley.de/rotraud/images/kind_schul/8jaehrig.gif

I think the word I was looking for is affenschaukeln, but I wouldn't quote me on it

Millielie
October 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I think the word you're looking for really is "Affenschaukeln" ;)

But Heidi braids are of course very bavarian, too :D

Gothic Lolita
October 10th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I second Millielie, it's "Affenschaukeln" and a weird word by word translation is "monkey swing".

I think two classic french braids are also an appropriate style. Basically any braid mathced a Dirndl.

Unofficial_Rose
October 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I know I've seen the German name for them floating around the old boards, but of course I couldn't find it lol. It's a pair of English braids low to the side than have their bottom ends looped and the tail tucked into the top, which makes the swing!

Here's a picture I found: http://lindsley.de/rotraud/images/kind_schul/8jaehrig.gif

I think the word I was looking for is affenschaukeln, but I wouldn't quote me on it

Oh how cute is that pic! :inlove:

Katze
October 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
We get the Bavarian paper (Süddeutsche Zeitung) and it was full of all kinds of Oktoberfest pics a few weeks ago when the Fest was still going on...I guess every single woman who goes wears a dirndl, cut as low as possible...but the hair I saw was very, very trendy, usually shoulder-to-BSL, dyed or bleached, and layered, with side bangs. Lots of makeup, fake tans, big earrings...

No other woman that I know here in Germany wears her hair in braids pinned up. My friends have told me that it has a 'Volkisch' look to it...reminds them of Germany's darkest historical period. Personally, I like the look a lot, dirndls and folk costumes look good on me and suit my 'type' but I am not German and I understand peoples' discomfort with glorifying days gone by. I can, and do, get away with it because I am a foreigner and a freak. Flags are now OK here, so maybe someday braids will be OK again? :)

Friends of mine who have visited Oktoberfests in the USA think it is really amusing that people pull out their German heritage by wearing stuff like this. Here in the North, the traditional clothing includes things like wooden shoes. Not very sexy, really... :D

Chromis
October 11th, 2008, 02:57 PM
We get the Bavarian paper (Süddeutsche Zeitung) and it was full of all kinds of Oktoberfest pics a few weeks ago when the Fest was still going on...I guess every single woman who goes wears a dirndl, cut as low as possible...but the hair I saw was very, very trendy, usually shoulder-to-BSL, dyed or bleached, and layered, with side bangs. Lots of makeup, fake tans, big earrings...

No other woman that I know here in Germany wears her hair in braids pinned up. My friends have told me that it has a 'Volkisch' look to it...reminds them of Germany's darkest historical period. Personally, I like the look a lot, dirndls and folk costumes look good on me and suit my 'type' but I am not German and I understand peoples' discomfort with glorifying days gone by. I can, and do, get away with it because I am a foreigner and a freak. Flags are now OK here, so maybe someday braids will be OK again? :)

Friends of mine who have visited Oktoberfests in the USA think it is really amusing that people pull out their German heritage by wearing stuff like this. Here in the North, the traditional clothing includes things like wooden shoes. Not very sexy, really... :D

I think perhaps it s different here since it is the New Country rather than the old, the Germans here didn't have anything to do with the dark times and indeed many fought against the Reich, so there doesn't seem to be so much stigma. (Not that there weren't racial tensions and accusations during the war, but no one other than the history books seem to recall that bit).

I did try to make sure I bought one that at least pretended to be authentic looking and was handmade as opposed to the short-skirted styles in the adult shops though I did see plenty of that sort in thepictures I'd found from actual German Oktoberfests too!

My hair is a bit dark to actually see the braid very well I'm afraid:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3041/2931304593_f08bcb9463.jpg

Morag
October 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Oh my, you look lovely, Chromis! That outfit and the crown braid really suit you. Have good Oktoberfest! :smile:

Melisande
October 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Too cute! As North German or "Prussian" I feel more alien in Bavaria than in Denmark or Holland but the Oktoberfest is definitely a cult event ;-)))

Have fun. I hope you know some traditional dances...

PS: Your pic reminds me of this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Wilhelm_Maria_Hubertus_Leibl_008.jpg)painting by the 19th century Bavarian painter Leibl.

Chromis
October 12th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Too cute! As North German or "Prussian" I feel more alien in Bavaria than in Denmark or Holland but the Oktoberfest is definitely a cult event ;-)))

Have fun. I hope you know some traditional dances...

PS: Your pic reminds me of this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Wilhelm_Maria_Hubertus_Leibl_008.jpg)painting by the 19th century Bavarian painter Leibl.

I'm working on them lol! I have another week to polka and any music that involves yodelling and accordions is good stuff by me :D

Magdalene
October 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
i saw lots of ladies dressed like that at Milwaukee's Germanfest. Good times :)