PDA

View Full Version : From hard water to soft water

Nesoi
May 12th, 2015, 03:15 AM
I recently moved from London (water is liquid rock) to my hometown where the water is beautiful and soft. It not only tastes delicious; I have really noticed the difference in my hair. I don't need to acid rinse every wash, and my hair seems to be curlier!

I did have a filter attached to my shower in London, but there is still a noticeable shift in my hair and in my husband's skin. He suffers from contact dermatitis and moving has really helped.

Should I be thinking about changing products? At the moment I use cone-free conditioner but I have to use a dandruff shampoo with sulfates in...do you think that the soft water might mean I can go back to sulfate-free? I tried Lush's shampoo bar but in the hard water I couldn't get it to foam. Is it worth trying it again now I'm in a soft water area?

Any advice from people who've made a similar move is welcome :) Last time I lived here I hadn't discovered LHC!

missblueeyes
May 12th, 2015, 03:28 AM
I think it's definitely worth a try! My water is hard, too, and I couldn't get shampoo bars to work at all.

Nique1202
May 12th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Should I be thinking about changing products? At the moment I use cone-free conditioner but I have to use a dandruff shampoo with sulfates in...do you think that the soft water might mean I can go back to sulfate-free? I tried Lush's shampoo bar but in the hard water I couldn't get it to foam. Is it worth trying it again now I'm in a soft water area?

I don't have any suggestions, just a note: almost all of the Lush shampoo bars are almost pure sulfates with some other stuff mixed in. I'm a little surprised you couldn't get it to lather, even with very hard water!

Nesoi
May 12th, 2015, 05:39 AM
Really?? I had no idea. Thank you for letting me know. I definitely couldn't get them to lather at all, hence why I thought they had no sulfates in! Gosh.

Rosetta
May 12th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I'd definitely give proper shampoo bars (i.e. not Lush) a try now :)

I've also lived in both hard and soft water areas, and yeah, you really notice the difference!

DweamGoiL
May 12th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I have hard-ish water as well. The lush shampoo bars or any kind of soap just gunks up in my shower. It lathers but leaves a disgustingly sticky residue...yuck!!!

KwaveT
May 12th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I had short hair while I lived in Georgia. Water is softer there. I never had long hair until well after we moved to North Carolina. Water is very hard here. Water is hard here to the point that my hands started to get dry and bleed in winter. I have been wondering how softer water is going to affect my long hair too. Lord has revealed to me that he is going to led me to move to New Zealand in 2017. From what I understand water is softer there. You can't get much harder than the water we have here.