PDA

View Full Version : Hair help?

Kitsunesunset
May 10th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Ok, so I've got tbl hair but the problem I just keep running across is that the hair underneath my top layer has only slightly better texture than new hair. Is this a normal thing or is it just because it's frizzy? It causes my hair to be very tangly all the time. My tangle teezer has helped a great deal with that. But what I'm wondering is, is there some kind of anything I could be doing/using to make this better? I switched from washing daily to every other day, coming close to a year ago. I've also tried using a much bigger amount of conditioner on wash days, but still, the ugly texture. I think it's just there to cause my hair to be deceptively voluminous. I'm currently trying to find a goldilocks shampoo and conditioner, as I've just ditched Garnier and bought Aussie today. Any help is very much appreciated.

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Ok, so I've got tbl hair but the problem I just keep running across is that the hair underneath my top layer has only slightly better texture than new hair. Is this a normal thing or is it just because it's frizzy? It causes my hair to be very tangly all the time. My tangle teezer has helped a great deal with that. But what I'm wondering is, is there some kind of anything I could be doing/using to make this better? I switched from washing daily to every other day, coming close to a year ago. I've also tried using a much bigger amount of conditioner on wash days, but still, the ugly texture. I think it's just there to cause my hair to be deceptively voluminous. I'm currently trying to find a goldilocks shampoo and conditioner, as I've just ditched Garnier and bought Aussie today. Any help is very much appreciated.

Why not try the curly girl method? Have you tried that already?

Kitsunesunset
May 10th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Lapushka, I will look it up. I'm new here and completely lost as to what to do for a routine. Thank you! :)

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Lapushka, I will look it up. I'm new here and completely lost as to what to do for a routine. Thank you! :)

Here's some help...

CG routine online:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

I'm modified CG, as I can't use conditioner to "wash" my hair, so I need to stick to shampoo because of seborrheic dermatitis. That's why I condition twice, to lock in moisture into my hair so my waves don't come out frizzy.

Kitsunesunset
May 10th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I'll try it. I would also be unable to just go straight conditioner because my scalp is very oily and I can just imagine how icky it would make my scalp feel. Haha

Kitsunesunset
May 10th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Lapushka, do you also use a leave in conditioner?

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 04:48 PM
All my washing techniques are in my signature; yes, I use a leave-in as part of the LOC method (see sig). I only use a small amount, though, like a coin size worth for my whole length. I don't let conditioners get on my scalp - only from ears down!

Kitsunesunset
May 10th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Thanks. I have always been intimidated by leave ins because I've never truly known howto use them. I've always been a no product person mostly because everything I've ever used in the past just kind of made my hair look oily. Fear, I guess. I'll have to get over it, pick a leave in and just go for it I guess.

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 05:02 PM
If you feel that intimidated, try going even lower than ears-down, and only use it on the very ends, like the last few to 5 inches.

Kitsunesunset
May 10th, 2015, 05:06 PM
I'll go for it. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 05:12 PM
No problem.

I'm sure there'll be other suggestions coming along here soon. This way you'll have possibilities. There's other washing methods out there to try for you. If one doesn't work out, maybe another will. We've all had our fair share of experimenting when we first got here. Until you find a routine that works for you, have fun experimenting! See you around! :D

Nique1202
May 11th, 2015, 05:03 AM
I found that using a thick conditioner with silicones in from the shoulders down in the shower helps me because the silicones make the older tangly hair more slippery. I've been slow to get rid of my bad habits, so silicones definitely help to patch up my old damage and prevent the tangles that would cause even more. Since my sebum is really thick, I use a shampoo that's very high in sulfates so I don't even need to clarify the length more than once every two months.

When my hair is nearly dry I spread a couple of drops of oil all over my fingers as if I were using it to moisturize them and fingercomb it through my hair (adding more oil to my hands if they lose the "shine" of the oil, which they usually do) which distributes the oil really well and helps to keep the hair strands from tangling up with each other. Think of the oil in a car engine, keeping things moving without anything getting stuck. You don't want so much that your hair looks like it's still wet out of the shower, but when it's oiled the way I like it my hair just looks like I have a bit of mousse in it, which doesn't look unusual, and it usually soaks in or rubs off on stuff pretty soon and looks fully dry again, but moisturized. Also, because I do it by fingercombing and I keep it away from my scalp (I lift the hair on top of my head and fingercomb it upward, starting a few inches away from my scalp) it doesn't make my scalp get oily any faster, so I still only wash every 4-6 days.

Kitsunesunset
May 12th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Thank you, Nique1202. So far, I've been using the double conditioning method and it is working wonderfully. I will need to find a good oil to moisturize it with. I have some Garnier frizz defy but I haven't used it in ages. On wash days, before bed I coconut oil the length of my hair from the ears down and sleep that way. Those are the only oils I own. What kind do you use? I envy you for being able to go that long between washes. The most I can go is two days after wash day.

Nique1202
May 13th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Thank you, Nique1202. So far, I've been using the double conditioning method and it is working wonderfully. I will need to find a good oil to moisturize it with. I have some Garnier frizz defy but I haven't used it in ages. On wash days, before bed I coconut oil the length of my hair from the ears down and sleep that way. Those are the only oils I own. What kind do you use? I envy you for being able to go that long between washes. The most I can go is two days after wash day.

I sometimes use baby oil and I sometimes use a scented oil I got from The Body Shop on sale. I used to use coconut oil but it's pretty expensive where I live so I didn't bother getting more when I ran out. You could even try whatever oil you keep around for cooking in the kitchen, olive or canola or whatever. You never know what your hair might like a little of after a wash!

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Sweet almond oil is pretty inexpensive where I live (pharmacies often sell it by the 100 ml bottles), worth a shot. Also macadamia nut oil is pretty nice. I tend to favor baby oil in recent times, though, esp. for the rinse-out oil method. I use a serum to do LOC with.

Kitsunesunset
May 13th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks ladies! I'll keep my eyes peeled for oils I can get.