PDA

View Full Version : Well Meaning Boss

hobbitgirl
October 3rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
Tomorrow is my 40th birthday. My boss and I are 2 weeks apart so she and I really get along (neither of us has kids either so we can comisserate on that front).

Anyhow, she goes to this very swanky Aveda salon and she's gotten me the occassional GC to go. I haven't dyed my hair in weeks and it really does need it and I guess she and a few others have noticed my stripe of gray coming in at the roots. She got me a GC for my birthday.

Now, I am really greatful for the gift. It's a REALLY EXPENSIVE salon but they do a nice job. BUT, I just ordered myself some henna from mehandi.com and was planning to go 'natural'. I've changed over to shampoo bars, only washing about 2x/week and wearing my hair up most of the time. Brushed out the longest bit of my hair is now below BSL.

So, now I don't know what to do. I could go to the salon and get some fabulous color. I could use a bit of a trim on the ends but I'd have to make it clear to leave the length alone (I've basically told hair dressers if they fail to do what I ask I will cry in the chair when I see the result, so I usually get what I want).

So, do I go and get one last dye job? Or maybe I should just use the GC to get a facial and a massage or something. It's a full service salon, but Aveda color really is so nice and it does leave my hair looking really good.

thoughts?

cindy58
October 3rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
I would use the GC for a massage, that sounds great! You've already begun your switch to "natural" so I would stick with that.

Happy Birthday too!

angelthadiva
October 3rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Or treat yourself to a facial, mani/ped...You don't have to mess w/your hair.

burns_erin
October 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
I would use it for something else, but I am a bit of a henna fanatic. You might also see if any one there is willing to apply the henna for you and use the gift card for that. Some salons will apply henna for you if you bring it in premixed.

Tami86
October 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
I say use it for something else. You've already ordered Henna which is more natural and won't damage your hair. Since you've switched to natural hair care, I would say stay away from salon hair dye, otherwise you might have to start all over.

Treat yourself to a relaxing massage. Or a scalp massage :)

Tapioca
October 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Ooh, go for the facial. I treated myself to one on my birthday, and it was wonderful.

Tai Shan Fan
October 3rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
They'll also do some deep hair pack conditioning treatments, which might be nice.

If you come back having been pampered and feeling good then I think that's how the person who gave you the gift would want you to feel :) it doesn't have to involve dyeng or trimming if you don't want.

If you do decide you'd quite like the colour - go for it. You can still use the henna at a later date. Chuck it in the freezer and it'll be fine.

avraea
October 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Since it's a gift, I'd go for something else like a massage or facial too, something you wouldn't normally get for yourself so it'll feel more like a gift, you know?

heidi w.
October 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Aveda Salons are all for long hair, too! If you have any scalp issues they have a SCALP REMEDY that's awesome.

They do nails I think too, if that might interest you.

They have some nice choices of hair cleaning products.

If you're up for a small trim, that's an option.

What about a facial?

They have a nice little brush, and some combs, too.

I like Aveda product line in general. I've met some Aveda stylists, and the one I met was really nice. She had longish hair, and liked working with those who had long hair.

I'm sure there are other options at the salon you can use the gift card for!

heidi w.

nisolu
October 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
I would go with the massage or facial! That sounds really relaxing. You can do a lot of things with the GC, don't feel pressured to get your hair done. There are many options :)

Starr
October 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
The Aveda salon I go to on occasion (for deep conditioning and scalp massage) is very long hair friendly. . .just because you got a GC doesn't mean you have to use it for color, instead use it for some of the other wonderful services the salon may offer.

ladyshannonanne
October 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
You have to ask? A haircut or a massage? Hee hee. Yah, I'd definitely skip the haircut or color and get an awesome massage. I mean, that's not an opportunity you have everyday.

Addy
October 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
You spend it on whatever tickles your fancy! Happy Birthday! :bottomsup:

atlantaz3
October 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
I vote for some products - aveda makes products other than hair care. They have a calming hand lotion that I like, but don't splurge on often. Aveda make up can be nice to - natural colors last time I checked.

sky
October 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
If you really like the Aveda colours, go for it! Otherwise, stick w/ your own plan and have a nice facial, manicure or pedicure instead.

sky

Lady Lilya
October 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'd re-gift it.

Friesiangirl
October 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I also am in favor of getting something else besides hair dye. Besides, if you die this one last time, then next time will be the next "one last time"

I've been there, done that :)

Hayley

gdimoonbeam
October 13th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Go for the pampering. The whole idea of a gc is for you to use it on whatever your heart desires.
Your boss may not have been thinking about your hair, she may have been thinking about how much she likes the Aveda experience and wants to share it.