PDA

View Full Version : For fun: 3rd anniversary at TLHC! :D

browneyedsusan
May 10th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Almost exactly 3 years ago, I had a conversation with DD(then 15 and a sophmore in highschool):
Me: "I'm thinking of growing out my hair."
DD: "You should totally do it, Mom."
Me: "It will look really bad for the first year or so."
DD: "You'll be okay, you should totally do it."
Me: "If I start now, I can probably get it close to waist length by the time you graduate."
DD: "That would be so cool, Mom. You should grow your hair."

It happened. It's WL!!!!! :magic:

For the record, I was in 2nd grade when Mom gave me a "shag"--popular haircut in the 70's--and it's been SL or shorter since. Until I discovered henna, and joined here soon after.
Guys, I am having SO MUCH FUN with my hair!!! I wear it different almost every day, and I LOVE it! Thanks for teaching me how to take care of my hair, remain patient, and supporting while I grew. My initial goal was APL or BSL, but it's become an experiment. How long can I really grow my hair? Stay tuned, and we'll find out! :)

A rare picture:
http:// (http://<a href=&quot;https://flic.kr/p/syRMWn&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;>https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8753/17437118861_7d05f9c0f2_z.jpg</a><a href=&quot;https://flic.kr/p/syRMWn&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;>Presentation1</a> by <a href=&quot;https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;>Mom and wife</a>, on Flickr)https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8753/17437118861_7d05f9c0f2_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/syRMWn)Presentation1 (https://flic.kr/p/syRMWn) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr
This is about one month in. My bangs were in my eyes, so I put them up every day. (I think they're twisted and pinned here, but it might be a little braid? Lots of hairspray and probably some teasing, because my hair is thin and slippy.)

I'll link up my growth album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12117) for fun.

DD has been my biggest cheerleader through it. She's awesome.
I plan to wear my hair down for DD's graduation and her open house--if it isn't smoking hot. :)

skeletonous
May 10th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Aww congrats! :cheer:

divinedobbie
May 10th, 2015, 12:08 PM
That's awesome :) I've been trying to convince my mom to grow her hair out but she has had a pixie for the past 25 years and can't be budged.

Decemberrose
May 10th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Wow, what a journey!! :)
Congrats on your goal. Fun to see your growth album too, it has really grown.

missblueeyes
May 10th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I think it's super cute how your daughter supported you throughout all these years! If my mother would decide to grow out her pixie, I'd totally support her as well! Your hair is really pretty, by the way! :) Congratulations and thank you for sharing this inspiring journey!

cat11
May 10th, 2015, 12:37 PM
My mom is starting to grow her hair too- but I dont know how long. She's had it in a short layered bob for years!! Now its brushing her shoulders. I told her if she groew it long enough I'd make her a hairstick.. hehehehe enabling

Vanilla
May 10th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Congrats on your 3 year hairiversary friend! Your hair keeps getting better and better!

MsPharaohMoan
May 10th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I have loved watching your hair grow via your signature pics. Congrats on waist! :)

two_wheels
May 10th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Congratulations my pixie-buddy! Looking good!

Arctic
May 10th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Congratulation! Sounds like quite fast growth, I think it would take me about year between milestones, so 4 years, and on top of that I trim regularly, so propbably over that :D

I always love reading how you wear your hair, you should make a thread or something to corral all the hairstyle ideas!

BrendaLoan
May 10th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Congratulations!! Your hair looks great!:cheer:

Agnieszka
May 10th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Congrats Browneyedsusan Amazing growth and beautiful, healthy hair! Your siggy photos always keep me going! Could I ask a question please. How often/how much do you trim your hair. (I will do the same haha).

Agnes Hannah
May 10th, 2015, 02:51 PM
congrats on your growth! Can't wait to see you at hip!

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Seems like your DD is your biggest supporter. That's awesome. I was like that when my mom grew it out to BSL. It was red (regular dye) and in a bee-butt bun on the top of her head most days. I loved that style, and she got so many compliments on it.

Have fun growing it out *more*! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 10th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Hey BES, I have loved "watching" your hair grow via your siggy pic! Congratulations at reaching waist:) And may it grow even more longer and glorious. And as for that gorgeous colour - well, if something is good, then having even more of it is even better - right? Well done! It seems to have grown so fast.

Flowerness
May 10th, 2015, 04:28 PM
That is so awesome! You have lovely hair! Congrats on reaching 2 milestones at once: WL hair & DD's graduation. (What a biggie!)

sleepingduty
May 10th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Congratulations browneyedsusan on you hair journey, you and your hair look fabulous. I have been here for about a year and have enjoyed your progress pictures too! Thanks for sharing!

Doreen
May 10th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Congratulations!! Your haircolor overall is SO gorgeous but especially when the light hits and it has that golden gleam!

DKSABS
May 10th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Congratulations! Your hair is beautiful!

Daylilly
May 10th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Congrats browneyedsusan, you have come so far and been so patient and it has paid off!

browneyedsusan
May 11th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Aww congrats! :cheer:

Thanks, girl! :)

That's awesome :) I've been trying to convince my mom to grow her hair out but she has had a pixie for the past 25 years and can't be budged.

I couldn't have been budged either, until I tried henna and got this glorious, PERMANENT, copper shine. (My hair was red until my mid-20's, then faded to ash brown. It was horrible. Red hair dye is the worst. It never lasted more than a week--whether I did it myself or paid $$$ in the salon.) The brown hair felt wrong, and I tried for many years to embrace it. I'd grow it a little, hate the color, pixie it back and dye it. With the pixie, I could color it as often as I wanted, but it got expensive. Long hair and henna is way cheaper. :)

Wow, what a journey!! :)
Congrats on your goal. Fun to see your growth album too, it has really grown.

Thanks!
The growth album is a little jacked up, but this posting pictures is hard for me. Glad you could figure it out.

I think it's super cute how your daughter supported you throughout all these years! If my mother would decide to grow out her pixie, I'd totally support her as well! Your hair is really pretty, by the way! :) Congratulations and thank you for sharing this inspiring journey!

Ya. DD is the best. About 6 months in, she wanted me to drive her to the mall, but insisted I pin up my hair before we went! I grumbled around and made noises about cutting it back. She was all: "NO! Don't do that! Just pin it up. It'll look great pretty soon." Sweet Babygirl.
Thanks for the compliment! I can't see back there, so I don't know what is going on! lol!

My mom is starting to grow her hair too- but I dont know how long. She's had it in a short layered bob for years!! Now its brushing her shoulders. I told her if she groew it long enough I'd make her a hairstick.. hehehehe enabling

That is SO sweet of you! Grab a little pencil or super-short stick, and fix her hair in a half-up? I'll bet a disc bun would work. (If not, she's really close!) She'll be tickled pink! She'll be able to do it if you help her along. Tell her when it looks nice, and let her know she's making good progress.

Congrats on your 3 year hairiversary friend! Your hair keeps getting better and better!

Gee, thanks! I've always envied your head of hair. Just saying it out loud. ;)

I have loved watching your hair grow via your signature pics. Congrats on waist! :)

Thank you. It's going to get challenging keeping my siggy up with DD moving to college, but I'll bribe DH to take my pictures. lol!

Congratulations my pixie-buddy! Looking good!

Thanks, girl! Growing a pixie isn't for the wimpy, is it? That first year was a blinger, wasn't it?

Congratulation! Sounds like quite fast growth, I think it would take me about year between milestones, so 4 years, and on top of that I trim regularly, so propbably over that :D

I always love reading how you wear your hair, you should make a thread or something to corral all the hairstyle ideas!

Thanks!
I've toyed with it because I like to know what is possible for my hair and skill level, and what isn't, but posting pictures is really hard to figure out. (My brain doesn't have a technology wrinkle in it!) I also thought that everyone else was like me--wide variety of hairstyles--but am discovering it's not common? FWIW: I don't think them up on my own: silvousplaits, ladollyvida33, --also ladollyvida333--, and torrin paige on youtube, are my inspiration. I've also looked at "cute girls hairstyles" but those aren't demonstrated on one's own head. Right now, I'm infatuated with silvousplaits' styles for men. :)

browneyedsusan
May 12th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Congratulations!! Your hair looks great!:cheer:

Thanks! It seems surreal most of the time! lol!

Congrats Browneyedsusan Amazing growth and beautiful, healthy hair! Your siggy photos always keep me going! Could I ask a question please. How often/how much do you trim your hair. (I will do the same haha).

I had a "tail-ectomy" right before I joined--May '12. Hairdresser trimmed my neck up to my hairline in back. The next trim was Feb '13. Hairdresser evened up the grown-out pixie layers, cleaned up the "ear-holes", and dusted the ends. Miraculously, I didn't seem to lose any overall length. After that, I trimmed myself (I've never done that before, and never would have attempted it without TLHC and the excellent tutorials!) I compact cut once--fall'13?--, to freshen the layers. Took off about an inch--didn't affect the overall length. Used this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc) method to take 1/2" off the ends. When I reached BSL --fall '14--, I decided to get rid of some of the layering. (Braid taper was bugging me.) I trimmed 1/2" every month for 3 months, removing about 1 1/2". You do what works for you. Hair grows back. :)

congrats on your growth! Can't wait to see you at hip!
Thanks. Oh my word! Wouldn't hip be COOL!

Seems like your DD is your biggest supporter. That's awesome. I was like that when my mom grew it out to BSL. It was red (regular dye) and in a bee-butt bun on the top of her head most days. I loved that style, and she got so many compliments on it.

Hey BES, I have loved "watching" your hair grow via your siggy pic! Congratulations at reaching waist:) And may it grow even more longer and glorious. And as for that gorgeous colour - well, if something is good, then having even more of it is even better - right? Well done! It seems to have grown so fast.
Thanks! I like following your progress, too! Your "new" color is lovely. I hope when I have a critical mass of gray, I can transition from henna as nicely as you.

That is so awesome! You have lovely hair! Congrats on reaching 2 milestones at once: WL hair & DD's graduation. (What a biggie!)
Thanks! Ya, I'm pretty jazzed about both.

Congratulations browneyedsusan on you hair journey, you and your hair look fabulous. I have been here for about a year and have enjoyed your progress pictures too! Thanks for sharing!

Aww, thank you!

Congratulations!! Your haircolor overall is SO gorgeous but especially when the light hits and it has that golden gleam!

Thank you! Ya, henna is fabulous stuff. Nothing much worse for a redhead than losing the red. (I have a couple of ginger-headed friends who have ashed out in their 20's. Seems to be fairly common as one ages?) I think gray would be nice, but ash brown makes me feel strange. Like I'm wearing someone else's hair, and not doing a very good job of it? I think it looks so pretty on other people, though!

Congratulations! Your hair is beautiful!

:flowers:

Congrats browneyedsusan, you have come so far and been so patient and it has paid off!

Thanks! I'm still getting used to it. It's all kinds of awesome, though!

cathair
May 12th, 2015, 05:29 AM

Me too :) Happy anniversary browneyedsusan! :cake: You've come along way :)

browneyedsusan
May 12th, 2015, 05:37 AM

I'll bet you were awesome with your mom. I never could make regular red dye stick?! It faded in a week, no matter how much I babied it. So frustrating!
I like the top-of-head knot too. Especially for fitness class! (For some reason, no one has ever complimented my gym hair? --just joking. It's gym hair: lopsided, full of bumps, and with pieces sticking out!)

Auni
May 12th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Beautiful head full of henna hair! Love it and congrats!:cheer:

missrandie
May 12th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Congratulations!! I can't wait to get where you are now :)

Vanilla
May 12th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Thanks so much for the kind compliment browneyedsusan :)

Neecola
May 13th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Oh, happy hair anniversary browneyedsusan!! I remember we both were growing out from a pixie around the same time. I seem to remember a lot of this icon: :lala: "Just pin it back and forget about it!" Well, it paid off! Wonderful that your family is so supportive too.

Your hair looks amazing and you are an inspiration for all the people starting the daunting task of growing a pixie out. Thanks for sharing the journey!

browneyedsusan
May 14th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Beautiful head full of henna hair! Love it and congrats!:cheer:

Thanks!
You have the nicest curls! *covet*

Congratulations!! I can't wait to get where you are now :)

You will. It just takes time. Lots and lots of time. :)

Oh, happy hair anniversary browneyedsusan!! I remember we both were growing out from a pixie around the same time. I seem to remember a lot of this icon: :lala: "Just pin it back and forget about it!" Well, it paid off! Wonderful that your family is so supportive too.

Your hair looks amazing and you are an inspiration for all the people starting the daunting task of growing a pixie out. Thanks for sharing the journey!
Oh my gosh, yes! It looked SO crazy when it was down! lol! How is it going with the auburn curls? --Those things eat up length for fun!-- Nearing BSL?

Yoghurt
May 14th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I love your color, it's really beautiful :) And congratulations of course.

Nebulae
May 14th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Happy anniversary! I find your journey inspiring, and have enjoyed seeing your siggy-picture progress over time! :D

Neecola
May 14th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Oh my gosh, yes! It looked SO crazy when it was down! lol! How is it going with the auburn curls? --Those things eat up length for fun!-- Nearing BSL?

Yep, about BSL or so. I've been focusing on keeping my ends thicker so I trim pretty often. Although BSL is quite short by LHC standards, it's long for me and I have really been enjoying my hair too. So many fun styles to do! And so many toys to test my will power :lol:

Brattina88
May 14th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Congrats! And same here, I'm always admiring your sig pic progress! Love it!

Horrorpops
May 15th, 2015, 09:04 AM
I just love your hair!! The colour and length are so beautiful! :)

martyna_22
May 15th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Your hair looks absolutely stunning! Congratulations :)

bluebreezes
May 19th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Congratulations browneyedsusan on your beautiful three years of growth. Thanks for all you do on the Super Shorties thread too. Knock 'em dead at your DD's graduation!

Savvyhorsez
May 19th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Happy Anniversary! Amazing growth rate for sure!

maborosi
May 19th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Your hair is so beautiful! Happy Hair-versary!