PDA

View Full Version : What is the secret to braiding?

gallows_gallery
October 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
Or perhaps better named "why can I not braid no matter how much I practise, let alone braid on my self?"

I can do a simple three strand plait - that is it!!

I love braids, and I have tried time and time again to do them on other people, but they always turn out a horrible loose disaster (if I even get past the ears!).

Is there some trick I am missing? And how on earth do I do them on MYSELF!? This seems totally impossible to me :( I am very well-coordinated with my hands, and usually very neat and precise with arts/etc.

Tips, tricks, and advice all welcome!

Yvette

hobbitgirl
October 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
When I used to try and french braid my hair it always turned out inside out. It was the oddest thing. I think what I ended up with is called an English braid. It took me years to figure out how to do a french braid. I was moving my hands backwards.

All I can really suggest is practice practice practice.

Your hair looks very slick and sleek. Maybe that's part of the 'problem' (though I personally envy such straight shiny locks). Have you tried coiling your hair prior to braiding? (sort of twisting the sections into rope coils)

Arctic
October 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
There are tons of braiding tutorial videos at YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/), maybe they help?

Ursula
October 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Is it that you can't braid at all, or that you can make a braid but are unhappy with how it looks?

To do a simple braid, you want to divide your hair into three sections, lined up in a row next to each other. Take the section that is on the left, and move it over the center section, to the center. Now take the section on the right, and move it over the center section (the old left section) to the center. Continue to alternate, moving the section from the side over the middle to the center.

I generally start with two sections in my left hand, and one section in my right hand. Twist my left wrist to move the outer section to the center, then transfer that section from left hand to right hand, then twist my right wrist to move the right section to the center, then transfer that section to the left hand for the next twist.

Don't try to look in the mirror while doing this. You can't see behind your head, and it will just confuse you. It may even help to close your eyes.

Try doing this in front of you, with three sections of ribbon or string, to get the basic concept. But braiding your own hair and braiding something else are completely different skills, because your hands have to move in very different ways behind your head versus on something/someone in front of you. So once you understand the concept, don't practice on others to try to learn for yourself.

I did an article here, "Ursula's Braid 911" with tips for improving braids, once you know the basics. See the articles section.

gallows_gallery
October 3rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
Ursula - thanks for your reply! The problem is that I cannot braid AT ALL. Sometimes on other people I can get one started at the forehead, but about three crosses-over later it is falling apart!

Ursula
October 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Ursula - thanks for your reply! The problem is that I cannot braid AT ALL. Sometimes on other people I can get one started at the forehead, but about three crosses-over later it is falling apart!

That sounds as if you are trying to do a French or dutch braid - adding hair as you go, so the braid runs along the head. Don't try that until you have a basic braid down cold. Start with all the hair you want in the finished braid, and just work on passing the hair back and forth.

Once that is mastered, you can work on French braiding - starting with a little hair, and adding hair to each strand as you pass it to the middle, and Dutch braiding, when you add hair to each strand, but pass it to the middle under the center section, instead of over it.

Some of it is also a matter of developing hand strength, so you can hold the hair and make the movements over and over. With practice, that will come.

1nuitblanche
October 3rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
You might want to pause after each cross over and pull it tighter. If they are loose and falling apart, you may just need to use more tension.

MsBubbles
October 3rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
I don't have the french braid thing down yet either but with any type of braid I attempt on myself it's way easier with damp hair or hair with oil or some giovanni styling stuff on it. I have finally figured out NEVER to even bother attempting to braid my hair on the same day I washed it, or on dry hair because my hair is so slippery, jumpy and flyaway. That is just a tantrum waiting to happen!

Vivien'
October 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Maybe it will help you... Most of my problems when I do a braid comes of the initial parting. So, to separate the strands I put the "side strands" on my chest and let the central strand on my back. Then I take the right strand and cross it with the one in my back, etc...

LaurelSpring
October 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Here is a tip I figured out that helps me. Read the instructions. Get a visual in your head and then when you do it DONT look in a mirror while you do it. feel your way through it. Mirrors just screw me up.

gallows_gallery
October 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all your replies everyone - just to clarify - I can do a three strand plait (just the straight kind that start at the nape of your neck) but I cannot do a BRAID (the kind where you start at the forehead and work backwards pulling little bits in from each side...which then at the bottom turns in to a plait.

I think there might be a little glitch in translation ^_^

spidermom
October 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
No secret really. The key is practice and keeping firmly in your head what has to happen next. For example, for a french braid:
1) Three strands, think of them as right, middle, and left.
2) Cross right strand over center strand.
3) Cross left strand over center strand.
4) Pick up hair, add to right strand, cross right strand over center strand.
5) Pick up hair, add to left strand, cross left strand over center strand.

Repeat step #4 and #5 to end of braid.

A Dutch braid is exactly the same EXCEPT that you cross right and left strands UNDER center strand.

Personally, I avoid tension as I don't like the sensation of pulling against my scalp. I work with my hands as close to my scalp as I can.

PS: I agree with the advice of no mirror. Do this by feel. Repeat the instructions to yourself as you work. If your mind wanders, your braid will also.

Samikha
October 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all your replies everyone - just to clarify - I can do a three strand plait (just the straight kind that start at the nape of your neck) but I cannot do a BRAID (the kind where you start at the forehead and work backwards pulling little bits in from each side...which then at the bottom turns in to a plait.

I think there might be a little glitch in translation ^_^

Translation has a lot of glitches! Mostly I've always heard braids and plaits as synonyms, with French/Dutch braid or plait added in.

Anyway!

I think perhaps you are setting your sights a little too high for now. Have you tried not starting from the forehead, but around the crown area? If you take the top half of your hair and divide that in three strands as per usual, and only then start bringing in hair from the sides, it might be easier.

Sometimes things just click after trying for a while. Hopefully that'll happen to you soon! If you know anyone who's decent at braiding and can watch you do it, they may be able to tell you what you're doing wrong.

Anje
October 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
If you don't have luck watching the videos and doing tutorials online, I suggest you look at the book "Hair: A book of braiding and styles" by Anne Akers Johnson (Klutz press). It goes into great detail about how to hold the sections, so you don't end up losing them. (ETA: I see you're in Australia. Hope you can still come by it!)

I also recommend that you give Dutch braids (aka "inside-out French braids") a try, as well as French braids. I learned to do a Dutch braid first, and I still find it simpler for complicated styles like crown braids. Also, rather than starting at the forehead, try gathering the entire top half of your hair and starting at ear level, just doing a few passes until you get to your neck. As you improve, it's easier to start higher up.

Periwinkle
October 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Translation has a lot of glitches! Mostly I've always heard braids and plaits as synonyms, with French/Dutch braid or plait added in.

That's right :)

What made it click for me was the shape of the hair that I pick up at the start. I always tried to make it basically a straight strip, but it has to be a triangle. These (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm) are the instructions that worked for me.

You could also try two braids. Personally, I can't do that at all, but some people find it easier.

Gumball
October 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
For braiding what I think is important is the fingering you have while doing it. Sometimes it really is about the way you're holding the strands for things to cooperate more. I can't do much to myself, but I gave up practicing now that I have bubbleguppy to help me out, but I can braid others just fine. I learned via the aforementioned Dreamweaver site here (http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/french.htm).

If, on others, you can do a regular 3 strand decently then try practicing halfway up the head where you'll only need to add 3-4 extra sections to the braid before you deal with the length. Once you get comfy there you can start moving higher up the head where you'll have to add more sections as you progress.

It's also important that when you start to get it down you don't braid tight, but braid snug. Tight might hurt, while snug will stay secure and not really pull the hair. I'm sure with a little more practice you'll be able to do it well and have a lot of fun!

Suldrun
October 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
I have been practicing dutch braids this week. I used to try and do a lot at once and my arms would get tired and I was frustrated so I gave up. What is working for ma now is doing one or 2 braids a day and thats it and today I finally have one that looks nice enough to leave up. Its not great but it's staying in ( I would not go to a business meeting with it thoough lol maybe just shopping)

The other thing that has helped me is to do an english braid starting at my forehead just like I would start a french braid but I don't start adding in hair untill I get almost to crown then begin adding. As I get more comfortable I am adding hair sooner. This is really helping me.

akurah
October 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
In the USA, a braid is a plait. Probably same for UK as well. What you're describing (starting at the crown) sounds like either a dutch braid or a french braid.

To develop your braiding skills, I reccomend picking one style, either dutch OR french, and mastering it first. Don't try to learn both at the same time, you'll just confuse your hands. I also reccomend starting lower on the head, such as at the line where the top of the ears are. You'll only get two or three weaves in before it turns into a traditional three strand braid, but it's valuable practice.

Once you're confidant with that, move higher on the head, such as the crown. When you master that, then attempt starting the braid at the hairline.

Also, once you've mastered French, you also know dutch, and vice versa. The difference is one goes overtop and the other goes under.

WavyGirl
October 3rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I have been doing French braids for years, but was stuck with the 4 & 5 strands and classics or other variations. So I bought How to braid your own hair. (http://www.braidedimage.com/How-to-braid-hair.html) This book & dvd were really helpful. I like her technique as you hold the whole braid in one hand after each pass. That makes for better tension and less slippage. I still can't manage a good dutch crown on myself, but most of the others I can now do. I also liked the dvd because I found her voice and the music relaxing.

Another thing I find useful is to braid tights. Just hold a few pairs together and practise weaving in extras. It's nice to learn the technique where you can see what's happening. Your hand holds will be different when you work behind your head, but like others have said, it's the movement of the strands you need to concentrate on.

Xanthippe
October 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Try parting your hair like you want to make a half up and try starting your braid from there. Do you understand what you're supposed to be doing? I mean, it's exactly the same as making a "plait" - just add a little bit of hair each time.

Is there someone you know that can braid that way? It would be easier for them to show you what is going wrong when you try.

Slug Yoga
October 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
I couldn't braid at all until a few months ago. I forget what tutorial or whatever helped me out, but I do it like this:

1) Gather hair loosely in my hands behind my head, as if I was starting to make a ponytail.
2) Separate my hair into 3 equalish sections at the back of my head.
3) Grip the leftmost section in my fist.
4) Grip the rightmost section in my fist, except for my index finger, which is free.
5) Take my right index finger and grab the leftmost section, pulling it over and then holding it in the loop of my index finger.
6) Grab what was the centermost section (the only section not in my right hand) in my left fist, except for my index finger, which is free.
7) Take my left index finger and grab the rightmost hair section out of my right fist, and bring it over, keeping it in the loop of my index finger.
8.) Pick up the centermost section in my right fist, except for the index finger. Grab the leftmost section of hair out of my left fist with my index finger and bring it over.
9) Et cetera.

Does that make sense? What I had the most trouble with was not knowing that you cross the side strands over the center one, but just figuring out where to hold the strands in my hands! Doing it this way, you can hold the strands fairly snugly (though that might take some practice). I have never been able to braid the way where you hold it all in one hand. That's just too complex for me, or something.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize there was a semantic difference in some dialects between braids and plaits! Well, live and learn. Anyway, maybe my crude instructions will still be helpful to someone. :P

sky
October 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm with you.....I doubt I'll ever accomplish a braid! '

:lol:

sky

willowcandra
October 4th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I bought two books from Karen ribble. They are the cheapest and best instructions I have ever read!
http://www.braidedimage.com/How-to-braid-hair.html

I had trouble with one and she was willing to help me via email. :)

Fwiw though I can do most braids by french braids are always farely loose and so prone to tangles. With these books I could even manage crown and five strands (only when I have lots of time and patience.)

WaimeaWahine
October 6th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I wasn't that into braiding until I saw these:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=77757957@N00&q=braid&m=text

Wow.

Jean_Grey
October 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I've yet to accomplish a French braid, but I finally gave in to Dutch braids. Now that I've quit obsessing over getting the French one right, I'm actually getting the hang of a fairly pretty, decently tight Dutch.

I'd love to know what the secret is to flipping that inside out, though. Yes, technically I know, I'm supposed to braid the strands over, not under... but for some reason my hands/brain just don't WANT to cooperate!

mortiziia
October 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I think I'll never, ever, be able to braid my own hair all the way down. I can separate my hair into three sections, I can start braiding with great difficulty (I've got the tiniest hands and fingers) but after a little while my arms and hands just won't go any further back. That is, I can braid half of my length now, and it's only past BSL!!! I can't figure how you all make it at all; I have tried everything, even braiding upwards (pulling the braid up) and my arms just won't reach. :doh:Anyone else having the same problem?

Anje
October 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
OK, once you've got a dutch braid down cold, I think the french braid is easier.

Start as a braid... Hold the strands in your left hand.
With your right hand, gather a section of hair to add, and put it with the far right section in your left hand.
Now here's the trick (as I do it, at least, but it doesn't translate well to more than 3 strands): lift your left hand, pick up the old middle strand with your right hand (which makes it the new right strand).
DROP the strand that you just added hair to (it's in the middle), and grab the leftmost strand in your right hand.
Now repeat on the other side...
Use the left hand to add a section to the leftmost strand. Lift your right hand a little, and you'll easily be able to pick up that middle strand with the left hand. Let the strand that was just added to drop in the middle, and grab the rightmost strand in your left hand.

Does that make any sense to anyone but me?

Oh Mortiziia, to braid the length is fairly simple. Once you get to where you can't reach further, you can do one of two things. You can flip the hair up over your head and braid it, or pull it over your shoulder. I don't think anyone with hair longer than yours braids their hair to the ends without moving it.

akurah
October 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I think I'll never, ever, be able to braid my own hair all the way down. I can separate my hair into three sections, I can start braiding with great difficulty (I've got the tiniest hands and fingers) but after a little while my arms and hands just won't go any further back. That is, I can braid half of my length now, and it's only past BSL!!! I can't figure how you all make it at all; I have tried everything, even braiding upwards (pulling the braid up) and my arms just won't reach. :doh:Anyone else having the same problem?

After you get to a certain point you bring the braid over your shoulder to the front to finish it.

mortiziia
October 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I've tried that (both), but to no avail.

angelthadiva
October 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I used to be a braid dummy, myself.

I've read books, watched others do them and I just couldn't "get" it.

I even took an adult enrichment course to learn how to braid. However, unbeknownst to us, we were suppposed to bring a hair model w/us, so we could practice...

Most of the people in the class were moms w/daugthers w/long hair who were either in gymnastics/skating or dance and those sports required up hairstyles...

Everyone practiced on me because everyone else had soccer mom hair styles themselves...Thankfully when I got home, I quickly got to practicing my new found knowledge on mom and sissy.

I learned how to do an English Braid (one single braid/plait).
I learned how to French Braid and Dutch Braid, rope braid, and herringbone braid and variations of each...Was worth the $10 for the class for sure.

If you can do a simple plait (English braid) that is a good start!!! :joy:

The trick to French/Dutch (inverted French) braiding is the parting and tension. The more you practice the better you will get...A French braid is not that different than a single plait (English) except that you are adding more hair to the braid as you work your way down the length of the hair...A Dutch braid is basically an "inside out" braid of the French.

Now that we have the verbage down :D Let's get down to business...

Section the hair at the crown as if you are going to make a plain English plait, do your inital crossing, but before you make your next cross over, pick up a section of hair one from each side and add the hair to the section and work your way down the section.

I will make note of your name GG, give me a few days. I will do a whole tutorial for you for French and Dutch braiding...I'm good w/pictures and not so much w/video.

It's super simple, if I can do it, so can you! When I have the tutorial finished I will let you know. :flower:

spidermom
October 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I've tried that (both), but to no avail.

Try bending forward at the waist, letting the braid drop toward the floor.

Arctic_Mama
October 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
It sounds like your tension is all wrong. When I braid I am holding the hair tightly and pulling firmly (not so that it hurts, but almost!) and if you hair is floopy and sleek, as mine is, braiding with it damp and perhaps using aloe gel as a styling aid would help. Spray your hair and stick maybe a quarter-sized blob of clear food-grade aloe on your palms, run it through your hair like normal hair gel and THEN try braiding and see how it goes?

Practice practice practice. It's a matte of muscle memory, getting the feel of the braid in your hands as well as the proper hair section size, tension, and how to shift the hair back and forth in your hands without messing up the braid strands. It takes time, and some people never do get it down - just like my mom. But if you're a generally coordinated, crafty person I think it's more the learning curve and hair type biting you than any true 'problem'.

Good luck!

Arctic
October 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM
My best advise is to detangle as you braid, it helps alot! And the braid looks much neater.

Also if one instruction doesn't make sense, try another. I have noticed that the way some people think resonates better with me, and some people's way of explaining is just uncomprehensible. :D

jojo
October 6th, 2008, 04:37 PM
my advice is let your fingers be your eyes, keep practicing and you tube is where i learnt how to braid and if i can do it anybody can!

susiemw
October 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Try a rope braid... so simple and looks so good.
And only two strands to hold on to!

Once you've mastered it, then you can start the rope braid up on your head like a french braid.

Basic braid: put your hair in pony tail.

divide pony tail into two equal parts and hold the strands in your hands

If you are right handed take the strand in your right hand and
twist it towards your face a couple times.
then move that strand OVER the other strand to the left side of your head.

repeat.

you only have to twist the strand in your right hand.

you always twist that strand towards your face

you always move the strand OVER the other strand to the other side of your head.

keep repeating until you've gotten down as far as you'd like
than put on an elastic to keep it from unwinding.

Once you have that mastered and you want to do it
"french braid style"

starting at the top of your head wherever you want the braid to start:
seperate the hair into two equal parts

take the hair in your right hand and simply put it over the other strand to the left side of your head.

add a small section of hair to both strands

take the hair in your right hand and twist it towards your face.

move the hair in your right hand OVER the other strand to the left side of your head.

add a little hair to BOTH sections of hair

take the hair in your right hand and twist it towards your face then move to the other side of your head always moving it over the other strand (not under)

keep repeating until you've completed the braid and fasten with an elastic band.

for the french and dutch braids
my only suggestion is: practice practice practice

it just takes a lot of time and practice than all of a sudden you'll get it.

ok, one more suggestion: you might need to do these without a mirror because looking in the mirror will mess a lot
of people (including me) up.

good luck!

Susan

gallows_gallery
October 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Thank you ALL for your replies.

You will be proud to hear that two days ago I completed my first ever braid down the back of my boyfriend's head (he has really coarse, thick curly hair so it held well)...and even though it was a messy floppy disaster, IT WAS A BRAID THAT I FINISHED!!
'
Tonight I also did one in my sister's hair. It was also messy and uneven and hideous BUT...it was a braid, and I got right down to the bottom without losing it!

heidi w.
October 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
ETA: All my contributions are instructions for a 3 strand basic braid.

Alright, braiding is weaving. That simple.

I would get a doll and find a way to hold it stable, (between your legs?) The doll must have uber long hair. Larger dolls are better. Yarn hair on a doll is a good starter kit.

The first thing I would say is you control the weave with your thumbs. The thumbs hold the tightness that you weave.

So you do strand over strand, right?...that's one weave. Slightly tighten much like you would on laces, pulling in a manner that makes the weave position just a trace higher. Then thumb there.

Braiding is not about the movement of the hair: it's about the movement and position of your hands. When a doll's hair or person's hair is facing you it's easier to watch. When you start a braid on yourself one does this blind (Don't watch in the mirror -- you'll become confused cuz it's all opposite in the mirror of your actual actions).

If your braid is falling out then you're weaving too loosely. You can hold a weave in position by allowing the thumb to come across the entire position where you weaved, the entire width of the braid at that point, and then draw in the next section.

I met a fellow once who wove too tightly. Actually a woman did this too. Her braids came out all coiled and funky.

Weaving, to weave a good carpet or blanket, or cloth, is about applying consistent pressure.

Do know that most of us screw up on the volume of hair to take up to start. But that's another issue.

For braiding someone or your own hair, if having problems, and until you get better at it or even more length, ponytail the hair. So that part is squared away.

Then divide the hair in 3 sections, as equitably as you can.

Then pick a side (this is behind you, your own hair....or well, actually ,same for others' or dolls hair), left or right strand, and draw that section over the center section. Then bring in the other side over and below the section you just did. Now tighten slightly and use the thumb to hold the position and firmness.

Proceed, for the next set of weave, tighten, use the thumb.

I hope this helps. I could definitely teach you if I was there.

remember, it's the hands not what the hair is doing -- it's what your hands are doing.

Go for a braid that holds first, no matter how squirrely (tight or loose)....then you can clean that up as you practice.

If the braid kind becomes shorter than the overall length of someone's hair then you're weaving too tightly. This would include a braid that hangs kindof in a crooked line. Too tight.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I detangle as I proceed. My hair is long enough to do a few weaves behind my head then draw the hair forward.

I begin with detangled hair.

Then I draw hair back into a ponytail, holding with my hand and divide the sections, but you could tie off the ponytail.

Then I do some weaves, and about 5-6 weaves, then draw the hair forward.

At this point, I will hold the braided weaved section firmly at the bottom point of where braid becomes loose hair so the braid stays firm in its shape, and detangle the length.

More weaving.

I keep the comb in front of me on the sink or table or whatever....or hold it in my teeth!, and detangle as I proceed.

Moving the hair about for weaving, it does need a little bit of straightening up as I proceed.

heidi w.

danacc
October 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Heidi named my own nemesis for a nice French (or Dutch, for that matter) braid: adding too much hair to the braid at the beginning. I always have to consciously add "just a very little bit" of hair before each cross/twist when I am doing a French or Dutch braid. As long as I keep this in mind, I can end up with a decent braid. If I add too much, the braid along the head becomes loose.

Elenna
October 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
.... For braiding someone or your own hair, if having problems, and until you get better at it or even more length, ponytail the hair. So that part is squared away.

Let me get this straight; does this pony tail method result in a real French braid or is it just practice for a pretend braid? I am confused. :pumpkin:

Katze
October 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
great advice so far!

I have the same problems (looseness, messiness) and prefer to braid "dirty" hair, unless it is a sleep braid which I deliberately make loose so it doesn't give me kinks.

www.dreamweaverbraiding.com has some tips about making braids smooth that has really helped me, though I still don't do braids nice enough to show off here.

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/Smoothbraids.htm

Lately I've been oiling my hair like mad the night before days I know I want to braid...focusing on the length and on the nape. My hair will always be messy, but this helps cut it down a bit.

heidi w.
October 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Let me get this straight; does this pony tail method result in a real French braid or is it just practice for a pretend braid? I am confused. :pumpkin:

No, for newbies I am instructing to make a ponytail first, close to the head, as you would any ponytail. Then proceed to braid the ponytail. This helps newbies manage the 3 strands for a basic braid easier because without the ponying of the hair THEN you have to also manage kind of loose hair before you tighten it. Managing too many elements for newbies is a big problem. Ponying the hair before beginning to braid also means that hair is drawn back over the head the way you want it, and it'll come out looking nice. You're then separating how all the head of hair gets into the ponytail and separately the weaving of the braid.

When you get better at braiding, you do not need to initially ponytail the hair.

For some this point of ponytailing the hair may help you understand how to braid, even without a tie off. It begins with a ponytail form of hair.

Most updos begin with ponytailing the hair, whether you tie it off or not!

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Another tip:

When learning to do braids and updos it DOES help to work with hair that's slightly tacky from sebum or oil. It's easier to organize and manipulate and holds the form you create better (by 'form' I mean braid, updo, etc) than freshly washed slippery hair.

All stylists know this and frequently enough, such as wedding updos, ask the client to come in with one day old hair (from the last hair wash).

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Elenna to be yet clearer, the ponytail method can be done on your own or say, a doll's hair. IF done one your own hair, after ponytailing and tying off, then creating the braid from a 3 strand -- then you have a real braid on you. It would also be a real braid on a doll!

You cannot make a french style braid by ponytailing first. That's one braid where ponytailing first won't work. You can ponytail first for a rope braid, a 4 strand braid, 8 strand braid, etc.

French braid means you keep bringing in successive small sections of hair into the weave you're presently making.

My instructions were for a simple 3 strand, basic braid because the OP was having trouble with this basic braid.

All fancier braids are a building upon this basic way of braiding 3 strands.

*Note, a rope braid is 2 strands, essentially.

heidi w.

dor3girl
October 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I am not sure if there is a particular "secret"--but you might try getting one of those large "barbie" or "bratz" heads--(unless you have a willing volunteer) & just practice. Watching someone else do it, helps, as well. For beginners, I recommend the two strand french braid (I have a photo of one done on my daughter in my photo album--look for a red feathery hair tie).

Also, for dutch braids--hair seems to work better clean & wet (as the braid is close to the scalp). For french braids, semi-dirty & dry seems to work well, or the hair will have too much 'slip'. For the two strand "twisted" braid that I recommended above--hair can be dry or wet--whatever works best for you.

jtl45
October 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
the key to successful braiding is practice, practice, and more practice! Another key point is to keep your braids somewhat loose so as to eliminate breakage!
Jim :)

spidermom
October 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Gallows Gallery, what have you tried and how is it going?