PDA

View Full Version : Trying and failing to learn the Gibson Roll...help!!

Larki
May 9th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I'm really bad at hairstyles - all I know are English/French/5-strand/11-strand/fishtail braids, and the nautilus and cinnabun. I want to learn more, but it's so hard! I'm trying to learn the Gibson Roll in this tutorial: https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/gibson-roll/#more-1888

But I don't understand her instructions! I tried looking for other tutorials, but they're all for something different, not this style. Does anyone know how to do this?

1. When she says to twist the sides of your hair...is that the whole of each side, leaving just the middle, or just a section from each side? Every time I try to do this part, by the time I get the ponytail secured, the twists have somehow disappeared completely, and it's just a normal ponytail. It doesn't look anything at all like hers does! I've tried clipping one side in place while I twist the other side, and then only taking the clip out after I've made the ponytail, but it doesn't help!

2. I don't understand step two at all. I checked out her linked tutorial to flip a ponytail like she instructed, but that one looks like the length comes out on the bottom, whereas in the Gibson Roll tutorial, the length comes out of the top, above the ponytail.

I don't understand how she's doing this! It's driving me crazy!! :steam:wail: It seems like it should be so easy! Can someone help me out? Or point me in the direction of a clearer tutorial for the same hairstyle?

cat11
May 9th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I also found it confusing... I dont know what she means about flipping the ponytail.

But I can tell you, for the twists, to refer to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7YcsdZX40 <-----that video by Gossamer for how to do them. If your having trouble with the pony and keeping the twists in place, Id use little claw clips to hold them in place right by the pony base then make the pony base and take out the clips.

curlsgalore
May 9th, 2015, 09:14 PM
The "flipping the ponytail" is like when you're doing a topsy tail but it looks like she doesn't pull the ponytail all the way through...did that make sense? She has a link and another tutorial for the "flipped ponytail". Looks like she twists the sides, makes a low ponytail and flips it in without bringing the hair all the way out so to make a loop, or fan and then wraps the length around the loop and brings the hair up through the center so that a "tail" remains.. and then curls the ends and pins.

Larki
May 9th, 2015, 09:16 PM
The "flipping the ponytail" is like when you're doing a topsy tail but it looks like she doesn't pull the ponytail all the way through...did that make sense? She has a link and another tutorial for the "flipped ponytail". Looks like she twists the sides, makes a low ponytail and flips it in without bringing the hair all the way out so to make a loop, or fan and then curls the ends and pins.
Right, and I checked out her linked tutorial to flip a ponytail, but that one looks like the length comes out on the bottom, whereas in the Gibson Roll tutorial, the length comes out of the top, above the ponytail. It doesn't look like the same thing at all!

Cinnamoon
May 9th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Regarding the flipped ponytail: What she's saying is that you start as though you're going to flip the ponytail (like in the tutorial), but instead of pulling your full length through, you only pull a small loop. So you pull the first part of the ponytail through, but stop before you're done, leaving a loop of hair underneath the ponytail holder and most of the length still on top. Does that make sense? I can do a quick video if it would help.

curlsgalore
May 9th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Ok I think what she does is that she does do the topsy tail but that last bit of hair doesn't get pulled all the way through creating a fan/loop..which means the ends and length of the hair do go downwards..she just doesn't pull it all the way through, then she wraps it around the base and tucks the ends through the bottom and brings them out on top...clear as mud?

curlsgalore
May 9th, 2015, 09:57 PM
So after twisting the sides and putting it in the ponytail you flip like this girl in the video starts to do..stop at about 2:22 .. and I believe this is what she meant. You can see how she has a loop at the bottom and the ends are up...so now don't pull them all the way through as shown in the video.
^She then takes the long tail and wraps it around her hair ending at the bottom so that the ends/tail can be pushed upwards through the center leaving your ends back up a the top. Hope this helps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b03dBuzOF0I

Smky_Mtn_Echo
May 10th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Is she flipping it up from the bottom? I imagine like the topsy tail but doing it from underneath rather than the top.
Nevermind, I just looked at her 'flipping the ponytail' page and it just looks like an incomplete topsy tail to me.