PDA

View Full Version : Biggest curly hair mistakes!

lapushka
May 9th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Thought this video was super helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv5Dx9xe49o

Now not everyone who's curly or wavy is sulfate/silicone-free (I'm not).

CoveredByLove
May 9th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Love the video! :D Agree with her 100%. I've done all those things and it has really helped my hair over time. :)

jeanniet
May 9th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Ha, I sleep with my hair damp/wet often and I always have great hair the next day. Don't know why. I have a silk pillowcase, so I'm sure that helps. I don't put it up or in a bonnet now, either. I found I kept waking up with flat spots. Now I just push it up over my head and it works out better. But her advice is very sound.

I'd add, don't go to a stylist who doesn't know how to cut curly hair. A good curly stylist is worth their weight in gold.

ExpectoPatronum
May 9th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Ohh I cannot go to bed with wet hair. I'd wake up looking like more of a damn mess than I already do! I did it once on accident and it was not salvageable. I was in ponytails until it was wash day. You're lucky indeed.

Rapunzel_to_be
May 10th, 2015, 01:53 AM
I looove curlypenny's vidoes and her hair! And I also use sulfate and silicone on my hair, have not tried going sulfate and cone free yet, but want to try just to see if I see any difference . But I agree with her in everything, and I do those things as well, buuuut one thing I do is to brush my hair before every shower, and then I only use a wide toothed comb in the shower when my hair has conditioner in it. Is it bad that I brush my hair? I feel like it has to get brushed, and I also think it is good for the hair to be brushed once a day.. I don't know if anyone else agrees and does the same ?

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Rapunzel_to_be, I also detangle pre-wash. It just saves me from having too much hair in the plughole. Just for convenience sake, and to have less knots and tangles after (because sheds can get stuck in there).

Rapunzel_to_be
May 10th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Rapunzel_to_be, I also detangle pre-wash. It just saves me from having too much hair in the plughole. Just for convenience sake, and to have less knots and tangles after (because sheds can get stuck in there).

Ooh ok good to hear I'm not the only one:p I just keep hearing that people with curly/wavy hair shouldn't brush it ever so I got a bit scared that I might be wrong.

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Ooh ok good to hear I'm not the only one:p I just keep hearing that people with curly/wavy hair shouldn't brush it ever so I got a bit scared that I might be wrong.

Well yes, not if they want to preserve their curl / wave pattern, but right before a wash it's fine!

Rapunzel_to_be
May 10th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Well yes, not if they want to preserve their curl / wave pattern, but right before a wash it's fine!

Of course, but I heard it is damaging, as in that it can cause breakage and split ends.. :s

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Of course, but I heard it is damaging, as in that it can cause breakage and split ends.. :s

If you detangle with a wide tooth comb first, and then carefully brush with a mild brush (such as the Tangle Teezer), I'm sure it's alright. Pre-wash though, I mean I think it would be different if you were to do this to curly hair every day, but right before a wash... no I'm sure it's fine!

VisionOne
May 10th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I am a wavy, not a curly but I still face a lot of the same issues that curly-haired people do. Only on a milder lever, I guess… Still: this video was really informative and funny.
I love the quote: "Once curly hair is dry - GAME OVER." Lol! ;)

Hurven
May 10th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I'm a wavy, but I found the video very informative. Thanks for sharing! :)

Rapunzel_to_be
May 10th, 2015, 02:46 PM
If you detangle with a wide tooth comb first, and then carefully brush with a mild brush (such as the Tangle Teezer), I'm sure it's alright. Pre-wash though, I mean I think it would be different if you were to do this to curly hair every day, but right before a wash... no I'm sure it's fine!

Ok thats what I thought as well, and that is what I do, only pre wash, and I make sure I detangle before I brush. Thank you I feel more confident about brushing now, makes me so worried when people tell me this and that can damage my hair, especially now that I'm trying to grow it long and take good care of it, so happy for LHC and all you lovely people here ! :D

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Ok thats what I thought as well, and that is what I do, only pre wash, and I make sure I detangle before I brush. Thank you I feel more confident about brushing now, makes me so worried when people tell me this and that can damage my hair, especially now that I'm trying to grow it long and take good care of it, so happy for LHC and all you lovely people here ! :D

I wash weekly, so I only detangle pre-wash and wide-tooth comb post wash on damp hair once it gets out of the towel and before styling. But anyway. I've been on this "routine" since... forever, and my hair is TBL+ now with 2/3 inches to go to classic. So... I don't think it hurts! ;)

Rapunzel_to_be
May 10th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I wash weekly, so I only detangle pre-wash and wide-tooth comb post wash on damp hair once it gets out of the towel and before styling. But anyway. I've been on this "routine" since... forever, and my hair is TBL+ now with 2/3 inches to go to classic. So... I don't think it hurts! ;)

I can't wait till I one day reach tailbone!!! :D :D

unicornlady
May 10th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Lol she's adorable! Thanks for sharing this. I do most of this list but I'm stubborn about a few things. I'm pretty sure I'm not ever going to sleep in a scarf, or bonnet, or whatever of that kind, ever.

Is it just me, but I do get definition from rolling with hair loose overnight, especially if I fall asleep with wet hair??? And at work I have to gather my hair into a cap, but exactly this gentle friction like as I sleep is causing my hair to curl even better, maybe because it's gently scrunched in the cap - at the end of my shift I always have better and more defined curls than in the beginning, lol.

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I can't wait till I one day reach tailbone!!! :D :D

You'll get there! I'm *sure* of it! :)

Lol she's adorable! Thanks for sharing this. I do most of this list but I'm stubborn about a few things. I'm pretty sure I'm not ever going to sleep in a scarf, or bonnet, or whatever of that kind, ever.

Is it just me, but I do get definition from rolling with hair loose overnight, especially if I fall asleep with wet hair??? And at work I have to gather my hair into a cap, but exactly this gentle friction like as I sleep is causing my hair to curl even better, maybe because it's gently scrunched in the cap - at the end of my shift I always have better and more defined curls than in the beginning, lol.

No I'm not a satin bonnet type person either. I do have soft pillowcases, though some of them are still cotton! I don't see that much difference but I moisturize plenty so I think that's the "culprit".

unicornlady
May 10th, 2015, 04:34 PM
No I'm not a satin bonnet type person either. I do have soft pillowcases, though some of them are still cotton! I don't see that much difference but I moisturize plenty so I think that's the "culprit".

Knowing that you have very long hair and you say yourself you dont do heavy maintenance, it's a relief that I dont have to be traumatized all the time that my hair will get damaged! I dont like the feel of satin on my skin, it throws me off as artificial. Sometimes people write advice to treat hair as if it was spiderweb, lol :D

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Knowing that you have very long hair and you say yourself you dont do heavy maintenance, it's a relief that I dont have to be traumatized all the time that my hair will get damaged! I dont like the feel of satin on my skin, it throws me off as artificial. Sometimes people write advice to treat hair as if it was spiderweb, lol :D

Well, I'm not saying to not be careful with F hair, because I am careful, but just not "scared" of my hair either. ;) It's still "just" hair to me. I mostly practice benign neglect, washing once a week and detangling once a week as well (pre- & postwash).

j88
May 11th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Ha, I sleep with my hair damp/wet often and I always have great hair the next day. Don't know why. I have a silk pillowcase, so I'm sure that helps. I don't put it up or in a bonnet now, either. I found I kept waking up with flat spots. Now I just push it up over my head and it works out better. But her advice is very sound.

I'd add, don't go to a stylist who doesn't know how to cut curly hair. A good curly stylist is worth their weight in gold.

Same here! Better when going to bed with damp hair :D

Oh, and it annoys me because I can't find a silk pillow case anywhere! Guess I have to order online.

Upside Down
May 11th, 2015, 08:35 AM
I really need to try to part my hair so deep on the side. That's another video, though. :lol:

She is super cute and funny... and has some good points, but it's generalised. For example, my curls do great with cones, and don't object to sls at all, do well with sleeping on them wet although this makes detangling even harder.

Still it was fun to watch, thanks for sharing!