PDA

View Full Version : Do people ever assume you're wearing extensions?

longhairvixen
May 7th, 2015, 05:26 PM
When you're wearing your hair down, do you ever have strangers come up to you on the street and ask if your hair is real?

I had a lady ask me where i bought my extensions. Lol.

Zesty
May 7th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I don't recall anyone ever asking me that. Just admiring comments, or "duh" comments like "Your hair is long!" (Though I get asked if my nails are acrylics periodically.)

LeMimi13
May 7th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Yap.. That happened so much when I had classic lenght hair!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I have had people assume I have extensions though they never mentioned it until we happened to start discussing hair. As you do :)

Ingrid
May 7th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I was wearing my hair in a five-strand braid a while ago, and I had people ask me if it's real or "just attached" :laugh:

Zesty
May 7th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I was wearing my hair in a five-strand braid a while ago, and I had people ask me if it's real or "just attached" :laugh:

Now that you mention it, I had someone ask me if it was a hairpiece when I was wearing a French five-strand.

I guess long hair and hair styling skills are rare enough that people think it must be fake.

Carolyn
May 7th, 2015, 06:08 PM
No never. My friends all know it's real since it's been some degree of long since I've known them. Thankfully I don't have many strangers talking to me other than an occasional excuse me in the grocery store. I almost always have my bitch face on. I can't imagine who would be interested or would care enough to ask.

Becs
May 7th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Yeah people often ask me if my braids are real or if they're just extensions.

StarsandFire
May 7th, 2015, 06:26 PM
No but my hair's not that long :( I would be flattered if someone thought my hair was that long.

Hairkay
May 7th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Once when I was out with my friends a man made a comment about women wearing weaves. I ignored it but one of my friends got very offended and told him that all of us wore our own natural hair.

My sis's once got asked by a little Irish girl if her hair comes out. Sis thought the girl was asking if she could wear her hair loose so she took off her hair band and shook her hair out. That's when the girl said, "No, does it come off?". The girl had assumed that all black people wore extensions if their hair appeared to be longer than shoulder length. That was when sis had tried the perm so her hair was dead straight showing the full BSL length. The little girl had seen some neighbours put in extensions before.

Ilenora
May 7th, 2015, 06:47 PM
No, but I did have someone ask if it was my real colour... Which was weird, because it's just a pretty boring dull brown shade O_o
The funniest comment I've ever received was just the other day, my mother and I were talking with a neighbour, and I walked ahead of him... all of a sudden he said "Oh my god, your hair is long!". He sounded really shocked XD

Ingrid
May 7th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Yeah people often ask me if my braids are real or if they're just extensions.

Your braids look too perfect to have been done with human hands :)

Anje
May 7th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Only when I've got a vivid-color yarn paranda braided in, in which case I get comments of, "is that your hair?!"

I think extensions are fairly uncommon here in flyover county.

longhairvixen
May 7th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Once when I was out with my friends a man made a comment about women wearing weaves. I ignored it but one of my friends got very offended and told him that all of us wore our own natural hair.

My sis's once got asked by a little Irish girl if her hair comes out. Sis thought the girl was asking if she could wear her hair loose so she took off her hair band and shook her hair out. That's when the girl said, "No, does it come off?". The girl had assumed that all black people wore extensions if their hair appeared to be longer than shoulder length. That was when sis had tried the perm so her hair was dead straight showing the full BSL length. The little girl had seen some neighbours put in extensions before.

Thats none of his business! How rude of a stranger. Was he black? What was his response when you told him it was real?

yahirwaO.o
May 7th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Yeah not many but one comment came from a nurse who tought ¨my extensions¨ were to shiny LOL. My hair was hip lengh at the time and plain down.

On the other hand, people do assuume I straighten my hair when worn down especially on 2nd or 3 er day after washing. I just oil a bit, give a good brush and thats it. :)

endlessly
May 7th, 2015, 08:44 PM
All the time. And, it's not even necessarily when my hair is down either. Most of the time, someone will say that there's no way my hair is this long and thick naturally, I have to have some sort of extensions. Sometimes, it's very frustrating.

Because my last job was working at a makeup counter and the women there spent 100% of their time talking about how they or other people looked, this is where it started to become a daily occurrence. I had customers ask for my stylist since "she did such great work because they look so natural" and all I could really comment was, "Gee thanks, I grew them myself. As in, they're not extensions. It's really all my hair." People would accuse me of lying, sometimes even demand that they be able to feel my hair to see if I was telling the truth. Grrr...it still frustrates me to this day! Eventually, I had to just ignore the comments and sometimes hurtful accusations and while I have nothing against anyone who chooses to wear extensions, it's kind of sad that we live in a society that thinks that's the only way to have long hair.

EdG
May 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I remember once being asked if my hair was real. I thought it was a strange question, but it happened in the "Live Music Capital of the World", so I assume that extensions are not unusual there.
Ed

Becs
May 7th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Your braids look too perfect to have been done with human hands :)

Awww :o:puppykisses: You're too nice. But when people ask me this I've often wondered....can you actually get pre-braided extensions that you can just clip in or something? That would be crazy :bigeyes:

Entangled
May 7th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Yep. I think Puppycatmeow has some.
ETA: Yep indeed!Puppycatmeow's braided hairpieces (https://www.etsy.com/shop/Puppycatmeow?section_id=8019006)

I remember the first time I saw extensions: a girl was taking hers out after school, and I watched in a kind of mesmerized repulsion.(Hey, she was randomly detaching chunks of hair from her head). (I was totally ignorant to the world of hair: I didn't know about anything other than shampoo and conditioner, didn't know about teasing, didn't know about heat protectant, and at the beginning, didn't even know about straightening! I just thought people's hair naturally looked so shiny and nice, while mine had flyaway a and an odd sort of body wave and taper. Now I know.)

I've never gotten mistaken, but I don't think my hair looks like extensions enough. The color is uniform, my loose hair is kind of puffy and floaty, and it's all around the same thickness (plus, you know, why would I put in normal extensions if I wear it up everyday (yes, I know about paranadi(?) for thickness, but that's not normal people logic around here)?)

ositarosita
May 7th, 2015, 10:42 PM
When my hair was WL+ and platinum blonde I got a lot of "is it yours?", "how did you grow it?", "what do you to make it look like that?". I take all those as compliments.

Becs
May 7th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Yep. I think Puppycatmeow has some.
ETA: Yep indeed!Puppycatmeow's braided hairpieces (https://www.etsy.com/shop/Puppycatmeow?section_id=8019006)

Whoa those are cool! I had no idea such things even existed

Begemot
May 7th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Sometimes, not that often, but my granny still doesn't believe my hair is all mine. More often people suspect that my finger nails are fake.

komodo
May 8th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Not because it's Long but because they think it looks nice, they assume it's a weave but let me tell you if I ever had to get one, I would have it rapunzel style as opposed to my shoulder length. My mom runs a hair company so they meet my mom and then ask her "and what kind of hair does your daughter have?" It's a nice compliment, ha

Wusel
May 8th, 2015, 02:35 AM
No never. My friends all know it's real since it's been some degree of long since I've known them. Thankfully I don't have many strangers talking to me other than an occasional excuse me in the grocery store. I almost always have my bitch face on. I can't imagine who would be interested or would care enough to ask.

Sounds like you dislike people you're not best friends with as much as I do with my sociophobic state of mind :D

Lolino
May 8th, 2015, 04:22 AM
Noone random has asked me, but my little brother of all people asked if my hair was "real" just this Christmas. Really, he should know me better than that one would think!

woodswanderer
May 8th, 2015, 04:31 AM
Once an Indian waiter was asking if my hair was real. He then said it was too long. It was odd because I thought Indian women were known for beautiful long, thick hair. Maybe he thought Americans didn't/couldn't grow their hair very long.

TwilightShadow
May 8th, 2015, 04:44 AM
Once, and it was actually partially my fault, lol. I posted a picture on Facebook of a girl with very thick, knee-length auburn hair with the caption "I want this hair!" A former classmate asked why don't I just dye my hair and I replied the color isn't the problem, but the length. He then suggested extensions, so I said that with that length and thickness, they'd probably cost a fortune, mentioning that I already have 24 inch extensions and they weren't cheap. They're clip-in extensions and I wear them rarely, mostly to add thickness to a half-up medieval style; my hair is hip length and quite tapered towards the ends.
Anyway, a few weeks later, I think, I went out with some former high school classmates, one of them being the guy I mentioned above. He lives in another country, so we hadn't seen each other the last 3 years. We were in a club and while dancing, he suddenly said "You weren't kidding about the extensions, were you?" So, I was like "What do you mean?" and then realized and replied "Oh, no! This IS my hair, I'm not wearing extensions now". It was actually funny, I didn't mind it at all.

momschicklets
May 8th, 2015, 06:01 AM
I wish!! :p

Hairkay
May 8th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Thats none of his business! How rude of a stranger. Was he black? What was his response when you told him it was real?

Yes he was. He just got quiet after that.

hinabelle
May 8th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Not extensions, but I've been asked if my hair is a wig at least 3 times. I don't get that anymore though.

Ephemia
May 8th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I've never had anyone assume my hair wasn't real, but I've had a couple of people ask me if it was. Mostly I just get people telling me they've been admiring it, or comments such as 'Oh, wow, your hair's so long!' to which I never know what to say. It's not really a compliment, just the truth, so 'thank you' seems a bit off. I usually just smile and hope they can see their kind-of compliment was appreciated.

Betazed
May 8th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I has this happen to me last week. Although, the guy who asked was trying to sell some new-fangled, $250 hair straighteners so I just assumed he was being flattering rather than serious. He also asked if I was over 18, which is off by a decade so, again, I assumed he was trying to flatter me enough so I'd buy his stuff. He had a kiosk set up in the hallway at my local mall and totally accosted me. "Do you have a second so I can show you something?", one of those people. I stopped because I didn't want to be rude but then he came at me with a straightener, as if he were going to actually use the thing on me! It was at that point that I got the hell out of there! Manners be damned! Haha

Dixie_Amazon
May 9th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Before I started graying if I wore a wide headband I was asked if I was wearing a fall.

DreamSheep
May 9th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Actually yesterday a friend of mine asked me if I had had extensions fitted - but otherwise, as far as I know I've not had anyone say that or think that as far as I know

Hurven
May 9th, 2015, 08:35 AM
No, but I'm only APL so I think that explains it. ;) However, when my sister had waist length hair, someone once asked her if she was wearing extensions.

Venefica
May 9th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Yeah people ask me all the time if my hair is my own real hair and seam shocked when I say that it is. Mostly however they assume my bun is fake and look shocked when I take it down and they see it is real hair.

MoonMaiden
May 9th, 2015, 09:05 AM
That has happened to me a few times, I just kinda looked at them and laughed because i thought it was such a crazy question

cat11
May 9th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I had someone ask if my hair was real when it was BSL ... cuz of the curls. Ive also been asked if I went to the salon to get my hair did with buns :p

LauraLongLocks
May 9th, 2015, 10:58 AM
No one ever asks me that. My hair isn't thick enough to fool anyone into believing that it might be extensions.

HintOfMint
May 9th, 2015, 04:06 PM
I've been asked once if it was, and that was when it was heavily styled and straightened. Other than that, I don't get such comments. I think people expect brown girls to have unusually long hair even if most American-born desis have their hair at a shorter, more common length.

Amber_Maiden
May 9th, 2015, 04:16 PM
haha, yes. I get asked where I get my extensions from all the time.

Lightbulb7Seven
May 9th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Yes people have assumed and asked, one girl even felt my hair like Santa's beard lol. Here in Houston a LOT of people wear them, very very common. I suppose it is similar to the question people ask if a woman is large up top, "Are those real?" Inquiring minds want to know!

Doreen
May 9th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Yes, this has happened a few times to me. Not that often. I think it's more flattering than the usual "Your hair is so long" comments which can sometimes sound more disgusted than impressed :( I don't know why they think I would have gotten knee-length extensions though.