PDA

View Full Version : Does Manic Panic fade completely from virgin hair?

TwilightShadow
May 7th, 2015, 12:12 PM
After coloring my hair with permanent dye for about 10 years, I decided I would quit this year, but I still want to use semipermanent dyes like Manic Panic. In February I dyed my hair with a mix of MP Wildfire and Vampire Red over the blonde that I had from a Revlon permanent dye. Now I have almost 3 months of growth at the roots and the dye has faded considerably, but not evenly. I have some pictures in my album, from February (right after dyeing) and from the middle of April and you can see how much it has faded, but the part closer to the scalp is definitely darker. I'd like to dye my hair again with MP, this time I was thinking of using the shade Pretty Flamingo, but I'm wondering if it will permanently stain the roots which are my natural dark ash blonde. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Tbh, I'm not ready to go completely dye-free, because I absolutely love red shades in my hair, so I'd like to keep using deposit dyes if they wash away eventually, even if it takes a few months.

ETA: Ok, so I decided I would post the picture with how my hair looks in the OP as well, since everyone reads it (I initially posted it in a reply below).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17193&d=1431025653

ositarosita
May 7th, 2015, 12:17 PM
I only use virgin snow on my blonette hair but I am very interested in this thread

***I leave it in for as long as possible, and try to do it every 6 months or so

lapushka
May 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I think you're pretty safe on virgin hair. Not so much on bleached hair (it might suck up the color).

Bananfot
May 7th, 2015, 12:35 PM
I did use the vampire red for some years ago. And i did color my hair dark permanent color. Reds and greens are the hardest color to get out, even with semipermanent vegetable dye as manic panic. Try to use sulfat shampoo, baking soda, lemon juice and other resepies to get it out. The panic panic is an protein dye so the trick is to strip it out of the hair instead of bleaching it. You could use hair color removal if nothing else workes. Hopes it workes out for you. I have problem removing cassia obovata stains from my hair (should no6t color may hair ginger, but for some reason it did) i have been trying to remove it for 4 month and almost nothing have happend. You could check out the thread cassia stained thread. i can`t finde it but there i have writen every possible way to get the protein pigments out with natural remedies.

Anje
May 7th, 2015, 12:45 PM
I've heard tales of the pinks and reds not fading all the way from lighter blond hair. Atomic Pink, in particular, is supposed to last for ages.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a really mild bleaching was all it took to remove it, if you've got a pinky cast left after months and months.

ETA: Last year I put Purple Rage (Adore) in my hair for about 3 hours and ended up with a neat purple-black color. I'd say it took maybe 3 months, but it completely faded from my hennaed red-brown hair. :)

spidermom
May 7th, 2015, 12:51 PM
For me, it depends on how long I leave the color in. When I obey the instructions, the color comes out completely in 3 or 4 washings. When I leave it in all day, (8+ hours), it takes months.

Arctic
May 7th, 2015, 12:53 PM
My experience is that the red Directions colours I have tried do tend to stick around for a very long time. My hair is medium brown and virgin. The colours are visible after months and months, and for example I was under the impression mine had faded completely, untill I saw photos, where the red was clearly visible. I would say on my hair it takes at least 4-6 months to completely fade. The most vibrant colour lasts few weeks, and looks decently nice for about a month. This is with almost daily washing with sulphate shampoos and quite hot water. After the vibrancy is faded some more (after approx 3-5 weeks) the colour looks a bit ho-hum for a while, untill it fades some more, then it become a non-issue (mostly visible in bright light and flash photos).

The point is, they stick around surprisingly long on my hair, but the fun, pretty phase is unfortunately not very long (although itwas longer than I would have thought). I have usually let the colour soak for 2+ hours.

I would like to try some other colours, like purple, but probably will not because of the lingering colours. Changing shades would quickly become a road to bleachville :)

Anje
May 7th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I think you're pretty safe on virgin hair. Not so much on bleached hair (it might suck up the color).

I think the veggie dyes seem to be the opposite for some reason. They seem to fade quicker from damaged hair. (Obviously, they'll be apparent on lighter-colored hair for longer than darker hair, though.)

TwilightShadow
May 7th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks you all for the replies :)

To answer a few questions: I'm using sulphate shampoo when washing my hair (I tried going sulphate-free, but I didn't like it, it made my hair greasy faster), I kept the dye on for 4 hours before rinsing it out. It did fade faster from the "oldest" hair that was dyed more, i.e. the ends are the lightest, as you can see in the picture below (it's in artificial light). Excuse the awful quality, I'm not that good at taking pictures of my hair. I suppose the hair closer to my scalp absorbed more pigment due to the heat from my head.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17193&d=1431025653

My natural color isn't that light, it looks blonette to me.

ETA: The color closest to the roots looks red still, but it was a very dark cherry red at first. I'm very pale and have hazel eyes. The initial color made my skin look like porcelain and my eyes greenish. Now it's a rosy red and there isn't such a visible contrast with my skin tone, I can go make-up free without the hair color making me look washed out. I just wanted to specify this, so you can understand that the color has faded even closest to my roots.

Cindershadow
May 7th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I used Splat's Luscious Raspberries on a small section of my hair over nine months ago. Still colored. It's more of a reddish-orange than the firetruck red it was, unfortunately. I do have (did have, I guess) virgin hair. I'm not sure if Splat has more staying power than Manic Panic, however. My hair might just suck up dyes really well.

Panth
May 7th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I did use the vampire red for some years ago. And i did color my hair dark permanent color. Reds and greens are the hardest color to get out, even with semipermanent vegetable dye as manic panic.

In my very limited experience with veggie dyes, green does not stick about. I tried Directions Apple Green (from memory maybe a 4-6 hour application) over virgin dark gold/blond hair. After I rinsed it out, it was gorgeous and bright. First wash rinsed it almost completely out, leaving just a vague muddy green. That muddy-green lasted several weeks and gradually faded.

I was glad I only tried a narrow, easily hideable streak first as a test streak. Sad, though, that it didn't work nicely.

lapushka
May 7th, 2015, 01:48 PM
I think the veggie dyes seem to be the opposite for some reason. They seem to fade quicker from damaged hair. (Obviously, they'll be apparent on lighter-colored hair for longer than darker hair, though.)

Really? Odd that, but hey, you learn something new every day. :D

Winterwitch
May 7th, 2015, 02:09 PM
No. Especially not Vampire Red. My hair is light golden brown/dark golden blond, I put Vampire Red over it once assuming I'd get a deep wine red. Somehow, it turned the same bright primary red that its supposed to do over bleached hair. And it faded to pink. Trying to bleach it out made it salmon colored. There is no escape from vampire red. No escape.

TwilightShadow
May 7th, 2015, 02:34 PM
No. Especially not Vampire Red. My hair is light golden brown/dark golden blond, I put Vampire Red over it once assuming I'd get a deep wine red. Somehow, it turned the same bright primary red that its supposed to do over bleached hair. And it faded to pink. Trying to bleach it out made it salmon colored. There is no escape from vampire red. No escape.

Oh, no! shudder: What about with color remover?