PDA

View Full Version : Protective styling for curly: what am I doing wrong?

pili
May 7th, 2015, 08:12 AM
So, I started a wearing my hair up in protective styles almost two weeks ago. Nothing else about my routine changed, but my hair did not like that! Not. At. All.

It it became dry, straw-like, hard to manipulate, not to mention that my scalp felt awful. I am currently at APL when curly and BSL when stretched. I just wanted to protect it to get it to grow better. Every time in the past when I have grown my hair long (waist+ on three different times) I'd just wear it down everyday.

Has as anyone else encountered this? Am I missing a step here in terms of product?

I am frustrated! For the last two years I did a bunch of shedding (stress) but now I have new growth and I wanted to protect it. Should I just wear it normal? Anyone else encounter his?

BTW, my hair is very coarse and very porous. The pic below is not a good example of how big my hair usually gets, and the profile pic is with damp hair.

chen bao jun
May 7th, 2015, 08:22 AM
How did you protective style exactly?

pili
May 7th, 2015, 08:59 AM
I tried various buns and braids. Usually I would most my hair with water and use a bit of butter on my hairline frizzies and ends and then put it up with a clip. I ended up with crispy hair. I have to moisten it to manipulate it because of the texture. I am super coarse.

missblueeyes
May 7th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Have you tried sealing the moisture in with some coconut oil before putting your hair up? I think that could help, especially if you slightly dampen your hair before you do an updo. What I also like to do is to oil my braid tassel a little.

pili
May 7th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Have you tried sealing the moisture in with some coconut oil before putting your hair up? I think that could help, especially if you slightly dampen your hair before you do an updo. What I also like to do is to oil my braid tassel a little.

My hair doesn't do too well with coconut oil. The butter I use normally makes my hair soft.

lapushka
May 7th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Maybe whatever you're putting on your ends is not agreeing with you. I'd try something else, maybe a few drops of (mineral) oil instead of a butter.

Upside Down
May 7th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Pili, do you brush or comb your hair when styling? When I bun or braid curly hair, it goes eeky crunchy and curls go to uneven wurls and it feels dryer than when I wear it loose.
I can not brush without significant damage once it has dried curly.

It is still more protective in the long run, less splits.

pili
May 7th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Maybe whatever you're putting on your ends is not agreeing with you. I'd try something else, maybe a few drops of (mineral) oil instead of a butter.

I'll try that.

Sometimes my hair just makes me crazy! None of the curly/long hair advice seems to help me. :/

lapushka
May 7th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I'll try that.

Sometimes my hair just makes me crazy! None of the curly/long hair advice seems to help me. :/

I love mineral oil, but I have F hair. I'm not sure what it's going to do on C hair, but do use it sparingly. Just a few drops, spread through your palms is enough for the entire lengths (don't use it on the scalp - too much/greasy).

Nadine <3
May 7th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Personally my hairs favorite is olive oil. Loads of people here love mineral oil but for me, it made my hair feel weird, not as soft and kinda tangly. My hair soaks up olive oil though and my hair gets really nice and smooth!

lapushka
May 7th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Yep, it's different for everybody. You might want to experiment a little with the oils you use. I once used shea on my ends and that made them feel crusty/crunchy, so I ditched that right away. That's why I rec'd an oil. :)

Beborani
May 7th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Do you use any products other than butter when you wear it down? Just wetting my hair slightly would lead to frizz unless I had some leave in conditioners/gels in my hair already.

lapushka
May 7th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Interesting point. What's your routine post-wash, OP? After you've washed it... Any leave-in products, LOC method (see signature)?

Arctic
May 7th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Maybe you could benefit from first and foremost treating your hair as coarse hair (we have great threads about that!), and only secondly to try curly methods.

picklepie
May 7th, 2015, 07:17 PM
What was your clarifying method, out of curiosity?

pili
May 7th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Pili, do you brush or comb your hair when styling? When I bun or braid curly hair, it goes eeky crunchy and curls go to uneven wurls and it feels dryer than when I wear it loose.
I can not brush without significant damage once it has dried curly.

It is still more protective in the long run, less splits.

No, I do not brush or comb it. I can only comb it wet with conditioner.

Do you mean wearing it up is still better?

pili
May 7th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Personally my hairs favorite is olive oil. Loads of people here love mineral oil but for me, it made my hair feel weird, not as soft and kinda tangly. My hair soaks up olive oil though and my hair gets really nice and smooth!

My hair loves olive oil. I have never used miner oil.

pili
May 7th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Do you use any products other than butter when you wear it down? Just wetting my hair slightly would lead to frizz unless I had some leave in conditioners/gels in my hair already.

I use a leave in, butter/cream and seal it with an oil.

Interesting point. What's your routine post-wash, OP? After you've washed it... Any leave-in products, LOC method (see signature)?

So I actually use the LCO method. All my products are from Au Rebelle. I've been using her line for almost a year now and I loooooove them! Usually I only have to wash once a week then LCO. Wearing it down, on days 2-7 I can just spritz with water and smooth in a bit of leave in and use the butter (my cream) and I get soft curls. Even doing a high pony tail is OK for my hair with this method. However, the minute I put it up in a bun or a braid my hair goes to crap. I have very little natural oil in my hair or on my scalp.

Maybe you could benefit from first and foremost treating your hair as coarse hair (we have great threads about that!), and only secondly to try curly methods.

I've been losing for those, but the search function doesn't work well for me.

What was your clarifying method, out of curiosity?

I try not to unless I am getting hard water build up. My hair is very dry and highly porous. I have very little natural oil on my scalp.

I am in a kind of limbo about my hair right now because we moved here recently and the water quality of ANYWHERE I have lived really dictates my hair's behavior. Also, regardless of the product or method. I always have friz. That's just my hair. I just don't want it to be crunchy from trying to protect it.

PalomaSincera
May 7th, 2015, 08:47 PM
I find it interesting that you only wash your hair once a week and that you have a dry scalp. My scalp is very, very oily so I try to wash it only every 3 days and that helps a little. What makes you only want to wash it once a week? Just wondering. I'm not here to give advice yet, but rather ask for it :)

pili
May 7th, 2015, 09:15 PM
I find it interesting that you only wash your hair once a week and that you have a dry scalp. My scalp is very, very oily so I try to wash it only every 3 days and that helps a little. What makes you only want to wash it once a week? Just wondering. I'm not here to give advice yet, but rather ask for it :)

My hair takes hours (6-8!) to dry and I do not use heat at all, so stretching washes helps with time management.

picklepie
May 7th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Oh, I meant, when you clarified recently, what did you use and what was your method? Natural oils and butters can build up heavily, and especially if you just moved and and water quality maybe changed some, clarifying might need to be fine in a different way. Sometimes people say they use baking soda to clarify (it's not a clarifying agent), or something like that, so that's why I'm thinking in that direction. :)

pili
May 7th, 2015, 11:08 PM
Oh, I meant, when you clarified recently, what did you use and what was your method? Natural oils and butters can build up heavily, and especially if you just moved and and water quality maybe changed some, clarifying might need to be fine in a different way. Sometimes people say they use baking soda to clarify (it's not a clarifying agent), or something like that, so that's why I'm thinking in that direction. :)

Oh! I use Ion Hard Water Shampoo. That also takes care of product build up. My hair is pretty stripped after that, so I limit using it.

KittyBird
May 8th, 2015, 07:46 AM
I can sort of relate.. If I wear my hair down, it's always soft and fluffy and shiny. If I wear my hair up several days in a row without combing at least once a day, I get ridiculously dry and straw-like hair. I don't know why though, and I'm not sure why combing it keeps it soft and fluffy, so I suppose I'm not very helpful. :o I'm only wavy, so I can easily comb my hair out without damage. It's not always that easy with curly hair, though I know some curlies on this board who comb and brush their hair, seemingly without much damage. I completely understand if you don't want to comb it out though, I wouldn't either if I had gorgeous curls like that. Your hair is so beautiful :thud:

pili
May 8th, 2015, 11:21 AM
I can sort of relate.. If I wear my hair down, it's always soft and fluffy and shiny. If I wear my hair up several days in a row without combing at least once a day, I get ridiculously dry and straw-like hair. I don't know why though, and I'm not sure why combing it keeps it soft and fluffy, so I suppose I'm not very helpful. :o I'm only wavy, so I can easily comb my hair out without damage. It's not always that easy with curly hair, though I know some curlies on this board who comb and brush their hair, seemingly without much damage. I completely understand if you don't want to comb it out though, I wouldn't either if I had gorgeous curls like that. Your hair is so beautiful :thud:

Oh, I hank you, Kittybird!

I do not comb/brush my hair. When I was younger I broke off a lot of my hair by dry brushing it. Even though my hair is coarse it is very porous. This is just a natural characteristic of my hair, not damage. The texture is wavy with a natural kink, if that makes sense and chunks of curls all over ranging from sidewalk chalk (Botticelli) to corkscrews. It is also very light if that makes sense? It has a cloud like poof quality.
So much of my life I have either abused it with mainstream shampoo/brush/heat or tried to weigh it down with a crapload of "curl friendly" product. I guess at my age I am just over trying to have what is acceptable.
Maybe I just need to listen to my hair and do what it likes. The forums here are teaching me a lot about my hair, but updo may not be one of the things that work for me.

Thanks to the ladies who have tried to help. I'm reading through a coarse hair thread now and seeing that I'm not the only one who has had the same issue. If I figure it out I'll post an update. :)

lapushka
May 8th, 2015, 12:22 PM
So I actually use the LCO method. All my products are from Au Rebelle. I've been using her line for almost a year now and I loooooove them! Usually I only have to wash once a week then LCO. Wearing it down, on days 2-7 I can just spritz with water and smooth in a bit of leave in and use the butter (my cream) and I get soft curls. Even doing a high pony tail is OK for my hair with this method. However, the minute I put it up in a bun or a braid my hair goes to crap. I have very little natural oil in my hair or on my scalp.

I do LCO as well. Is it just the fact that you put it up then that "causes" your hair to be dry - surely that's not... possible?

pili
May 8th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I do LCO as well. Is it just the fact that you put it up then that "causes" your hair to be dry - surely that's not... possible?

My hair is WEIRD! LOL

I'm still working through the coarse thread, but there are a few who said braiding/burning causes dry ends. Unfortunately the thread is older and no one has posted solutions, plus they are mostly 1-2a in texture.

jeanniet
May 8th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Not to sound flippant or anything, but are you sure your hair is actually coarse? The reason I'm asking is because I thought my hair was coarse--because once a long time ago a stylist told me it was--and when I had a hair analysis I was surprised to find it's actually fine (ok, yes, obviously I was clueless). Treating it as fine has made a big difference. Somewhere there's a picture of a wad of MINAKO's hair that really shows what coarse hair looks like.

The other issue is that very porous hair usually doesn't take a long time to dry, because it releases moisture so fast. That sounds more like hair that isn't porous, although if you have thick hair it could be normal porosity (mine is normal and takes about that long to dry). But if your hair really is that porous, generally speaking it will benefit from being washed/conditioned more often, because it needs that water.

I think you would really benefit from a hair analysis, especially since you're having so much trouble with the updos. Goosefootprints on Etsy that does them, IIRC.

Upside Down
May 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM
No, I do not brush or comb it. I can only comb it wet with conditioner.

Do you mean wearing it up is still better?

Yes, it is for me, however I really see differences now, nearing waist (I had waist long hair before that I didn't wear up much, and the difference is huge. Less splits, nicer ends, way less dry).

However. I gave up on putting it up curly. If I wear it curly and down, which is rare, when it is time to put it up or braid, I will either try to detangle , and brush if possible or wet it, condition, brush, dry in a bun so it ends up wavy and brush-able.

Yes, straw like. I don't think that updo's make it dry. But, this is my theory: when you dry your hair in curls, hairs lay next to each other so they shine and feel soft tot he touch. But when you put it up, you disturb this pattern of curls, hairs tangle and go in different directions and get 'broken' into a new shape dictated by the updo. They don't lie next to each other anymore and this creates a crunchy straw like feeling.

When you bun streight or wavy hair, you brush and hairs still lie next to each other in the bun. There is the difference.

gwenalyn
May 8th, 2015, 01:59 PM
My hair is WEIRD! LOL

I'm still working through the coarse thread, but there are a few who said braiding/burning causes dry ends. Unfortunately the thread is older and no one has posted solutions, plus they are mostly 1-2a in texture.

Burning? 0_o That *would* make the ends dry ...

(I know you meant bunning, just thought it was funny.)

pili
May 8th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Not to sound flippant or anything, but are you sure your hair is actually coarse? The reason I'm asking is because I thought my hair was coarse--because once a long time ago a stylist told me it was--and when I had a hair analysis I was surprised to find it's actually fine (ok, yes, obviously I was clueless). Treating it as fine has made a big difference. Somewhere there's a picture of a wad of MINAKO's hair that really shows what coarse hair looks like.

The other issue is that very porous hair usually doesn't take a long time to dry, because it releases moisture so fast. That sounds more like hair that isn't porous, although if you have thick hair it could be normal porosity (mine is normal and takes about that long to dry). But if your hair really is that porous, generally speaking it will benefit from being washed/conditioned more often, because it needs that water.

I think you would really benefit from a hair analysis, especially since you're having so much trouble with the updos. Goosefootprints on Etsy that does them, IIRC.

Yes I am sure. My individual strands are way thicker than most people's. I could clean my teeth with it (but don't!) I have even had it show up on an x-Ray. With no product in it it drys super fast. It sucks up product like crazy and since I have to suse a ton of product, THAT is why it takes forever to dry. Every stylist who had handled my hair has commented on how thick and coarse it is. This isn't only my opinion. I do the know the porosity of my hair has a lot to do with the water quality wherever I am living. Hard water causes major damage. My hair hates hard water, especially from calcium.

pili
May 8th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Yes, it is for me, however I really see differences now, nearing waist (I had waist long hair before that I didn't wear up much, and the difference is huge. Less splits, nicer ends, way less dry).

However. I gave up on putting it up curly. If I wear it curly and down, which is rare, when it is time to put it up or braid, I will either try to detangle , and brush if possible or wet it, condition, brush, dry in a bun so it ends up wavy and brush-able.

Yes, straw like. I don't think that updo's make it dry. But, this is my theory: when you dry your hair in curls, hairs lay next to each other so they shine and feel soft tot he touch. But when you put it up, you disturb this pattern of curls, hairs tangle and go in different directions and get 'broken' into a new shape dictated by the updo. They don't lie next to each other anymore and this creates a crunchy straw like feeling.

When you bun streight or wavy hair, you brush and hairs still lie next to each other in the bun. There is the difference.

I have a giant fear of the brush! I'll have to see how I can do this without snapping off all the ends.

pili
May 8th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Burning? 0_o That *would* make the ends dry ...

(I know you meant bunning, just thought it was funny.)

No I meant burning. Maybe that's the problem.....

KIDDING!

Arwenlily
May 8th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Since you started bunning and braiding, have you left it untouched for longer periods of time than if you wore it how you normally did? I'm asking this because I wonder if when you were wearing it down or in a pony tail or something, you washed your hair more frequently or refreshed it with water and product. If so, maybe your hair is drying out from leaving it untouched from water or some kind of product for so long. I wonder if you rewet your hair without shampooing and apply your favorite oil or leave-in, if that would help.

pili
May 8th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Since you started bunning and braiding, have you left it untouched for longer periods of time than if you wore it how you normally did? I'm asking this because I wonder if when you were wearing it down or in a pony tail or something, you washed your hair more frequently or refreshed it with water and product. If so, maybe your hair is drying out from leaving it untouched from water or some kind of product for so long. I wonder if you rewet your hair without shampooing and apply your favorite oil or leave-in, if that would help.

Maybe I do use a bit more product when it is down. On updos I tend to just do the ends and hairline. Of course you can see my hair is very layered. If the problem is not brushing I don't know what I am going to do since my hair breaks with brushing. Does it have to be a brush, or can a wide toothed comb suffice?

Arwenlily
May 8th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Maybe I do use a bit more product when it is down. On updos I tend to just do the ends and hairline. Of course you can see my hair is very layered. If the problem is not brushing I don't know what I am going to do since my hair breaks with brushing. Does it have to be a brush, or can a wide toothed comb suffice?

As a fellow curly, I wouldn't suggest brushing or combing your hair when dry as the result is typically breakage. However, I find that finger combing or using a wide-tooth comb in the shower with conditioner or coconut oil in my hair is much safer. Could you maybe try to refresh your hair halfway through the week when your hair starts to feel dry? I read that you wash your hair about once a week ... is there a point during the week that your hair starts to feel dry? Maybe at this point you can rewet your hair without shampooing, apply some product, comb it out, scrunch it, and plop or just air dry. This could be like half-way through the week or something and then you could wash your hair as you typically would at the end of the week.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 8th, 2015, 09:38 PM

I agree with this. When I let my hair airdry curly and then put it up, it gets weird and tangly. If I'm going to wear my hair up (which is pretty much always now) I braid it while it's still fairly wet after washing and putting my leave-ins in and let it dry that way. I usually wash at night and it's dry by the next morning, or close enough anyways. When it dries in the braid waves I can comb those out before bunning it or re-braiding it for the day. Combing my natural curls is not an option without a bunch of ripped out and broken hairs. I use a wide tooth comb only, not a brush. This seems to be working well for my hair so far.

pili
May 8th, 2015, 10:18 PM
As a fellow curly, I wouldn't suggest brushing or combing your hair when dry as the result is typically breakage. However, I find that finger combing or using a wide-tooth comb in the shower with conditioner or coconut oil in my hair is much safer. Could you maybe try to refresh your hair halfway through the week when your hair starts to feel dry? I read that you wash your hair about once a week ... is there a point during the week that your hair starts to feel dry? Maybe at this point you can rewet your hair without shampooing, apply some product, comb it out, scrunch it, and plop or just air dry. This could be like half-way through the week or something and then you could wash your hair as you typically would at the end of the week.

The problem is in wearing it up. Wearing it down I have no problems with dryness. I am trying to do protective styles and they are drying out my hair.

pili
May 8th, 2015, 10:21 PM
I agree with this. When I let my hair airdry curly and then put it up, it gets weird and tangly. If I'm going to wear my hair up (which is pretty much always now) I braid it while it's still fairly wet after washing and putting my leave-ins in and let it dry that way. I usually wash at night and it's dry by the next morning, or close enough anyways. When it dries in the braid waves I can comb those out before bunning it or re-braiding it for the day. Combing my natural curls is not an option without a bunch of ripped out and broken hairs. I use a wide tooth comb only, not a brush. This seems to be working well for my hair so far.

So you use all your normal product, you just make sure to let it dry braided? I have no clue how long that would take for me to dry, but I may wet it down tomorrow and try it. Thank you!

Arwenlily
May 8th, 2015, 11:44 PM
The problem is in wearing it up. Wearing it down I have no problems with dryness. I am trying to do protective styles and they are drying out my hair.

Sorry, I meant then after all of that to put your hair back up. So, halfway through the week when your hair starts feeling dry, you can refresh it and then put it back up and it should stay soft until your normal wash.

Upside Down
May 9th, 2015, 01:35 AM
I have a giant fear of the brush! I'll have to see how I can do this without snapping off all the ends.

I finger detangle sloooooooowly, usually while watching a tv show. Then I add some salve or oil, braid for the night and usually (but not aleays) it can be brushed tomorrow... If you decide to try this, take it super slow. It is better imo to wet your hair, apply conditioner and then brush.

Sounds like you do exactly the same thing as me! ;)
I also seem to find it easier to brush when it dries at least for a half an hour in a lwb... When it is 90% dry for instance. This also gives me a smoother look to the top of my head :lol:

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 9th, 2015, 04:03 AM
So you use all your normal product, you just make sure to let it dry braided? I have no clue how long that would take for me to dry, but I may wet it down tomorrow and try it. Thank you!

Yep. I don't usually use any "styling" product like gel or mousse or anything like that, just leave-in conditioner and some salve on my ends. If you're worried about drying time, two braids will dry faster than one. :)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 9th, 2015, 04:08 AM
I finger detangle sloooooooowly, usually while watching a tv show. Then I add some salve or oil, braid for the night and usually (but not aleays) it can be brushed tomorrow... If you decide to try this, take it super slow. It is better imo to wet your hair, apply conditioner and then brush.

Sounds like you do exactly the same thing as me! ;)
I also seem to find it easier to brush when it dries at least for a half an hour in a lwb... When it is 90% dry for instance. This also gives me a smoother look to the top of my head :lol:
Yes, our routines do sound very similar. You know what they say about great minds. ;) I do love how it makes the top/front part of my hair dry nice and smooth since it's pulled back.

betterhairday
May 9th, 2015, 04:16 AM
I'll try that.

I would kill to have your curls! I use a fantastic hair repair system by Pro Naturals alongside my "normal" shampoo & conditioner, Australian Tea Tree. Perhaps the butter kind of "fries" your ends??? The Pro Naturals leave in treatment is Moroccan Argan Oil, apply to tips and halfway up shaft and hair feels really soft and it helps protect against hair styling heat damage.

lapushka
May 9th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Maybe try oiling it in large quantities; instead of just a few drops, try more. Wet it, then seal it with an oil, and bun. See if that helps. Have you tried the oil already?

pili
May 9th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Sorry, I meant then after all of that to put your hair back up. So, halfway through the week when your hair starts feeling dry, you can refresh it and then put it back up and it should stay soft until your normal wash.

So I washed my hair and let it dry like normal (down) yesterday. I'm going to re-wet it in the shower, comb it out, and put it up in two dutch braids to dry today. It will probably not dry until tomorrow.

Yep. I don't usually use any "styling" product like gel or mousse or anything like that, just leave-in conditioner and some salve on my ends. If you're worried about drying time, two braids will dry faster than one. :)

I used to do the "traditional" CG method, but I found the products I use now and switched to LCO. It also stopped my hair from shedding like crazy. I used to think I was shedding so much because of my age, but now (after reading these forums) I think it was actually the Tresumme conditioner I was using. I switched back in August, and now I am noticing a bunch of baby curls all over that are about 5" long.

I would kill to have your curls! I use a fantastic hair repair system by Pro Naturals alongside my "normal" shampoo & conditioner, Australian Tea Tree. Perhaps the butter kind of "fries" your ends??? The Pro Naturals leave in treatment is Moroccan Argan Oil, apply to tips and halfway up shaft and hair feels really soft and it helps protect against hair styling heat damage.

You're sweet, betterhairday! I'm going to try just the oil on my ends. I have to be very careful about trying new products. my scalp has allergic reactions that cause it to crack and bleed. There are a lot of popular lines out there that I just can't use. :/

Maybe try oiling it in large quantities; instead of just a few drops, try more. Wet it, then seal it with an oil, and bun. See if that helps. Have you tried the oil already?

I use a Au Rebelle Carrot Sealing Oil. My hair loves it. I'm going to give it a try with this one this week, and it that doesn't work, I'll pick up a bottle of mineral oil. Heck, I'll probably just go ahead and get a bottle of mineral oil and try it regardless. My skin loves baby oil, so maybe my hair will too!

pili
May 9th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Yes, our routines do sound very similar. You know what they say about great minds. ;) I do love how it makes the top/front part of my hair dry nice and smooth since it's pulled back.

So, one more question: When I take out the braids the next day, do I rewet, comb, oil before putting it back up? I just want to be sure I am doing it right.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
May 9th, 2015, 12:13 PM
So, one more question: When I take out the braids the next day, do I rewet, comb, oil before putting it back up? I just want to be sure I am doing it right.

No, I don't. I just take them out and comb the hair out gently and then put it up. Sometimes I'll smooth a little extra salve on my ends before putting it up because it keeps them really soft, but I don't wet it. The only wetting I do between washes is if my ends are starting to feel dry I will wait until I have my hair braided (either for the day or my sleep braid at night), and then I'll mist the braid tassel with a spray bottle before applying some salve or oil to help give them some moisture. Good luck, I hope you find a routine that works for your hair and lets you use protective styles. :)

pili
May 9th, 2015, 01:00 PM
No, I don't. I just take them out and comb the hair out gently and then put it up. Sometimes I'll smooth a little extra salve on my ends before putting it up because it keeps them really soft, but I don't wet it. The only wetting I do between washes is if my ends are starting to feel dry I will wait until I have my hair braided (either for the day or my sleep braid at night), and then I'll mist the braid tassel with a spray bottle before applying some salve or oil to help give them some moisture. Good luck, I hope you find a routine that works for your hair and lets you use protective styles. :)

Thank you so much for your help! This goes to everyone who has commented. :)