PDA

View Full Version : My hair is SO TANGLY

FallingDarkness
May 6th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Going cone free for like the last 10 months of my life or so, it's been working pretty fantastically. :) Until now. All of a sudden, my hair is a tangled mess. I gently comb it out and go to put it up to find that it's already tangled. Just, legits out of the blue. Do I need cones back in my life in order to have less easily tangled hair? :/

Nadine <3
May 6th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Have you tried clarifying?

FallingDarkness
May 6th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Yeah I clarified just a week or so ago, to help with the random reddening of my hair.

FallingDarkness
May 6th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I'm also sulfate free if that has an impact on the tangliness of my hair, although I've been sulfate free for even longer than I've been cone free.

Nadine <3
May 6th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Hm, maybe try adding in a water soluble cone and seeing if it helps with tangles? I use Pantene Aqua light, and it has one of the cones that are not supposed to build up. I added it to my routine when I started getting horrible tangles and it's helped loads!

FallingDarkness
May 6th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Okay I'll go searching for it :)
Are cones really that beneficial for not tangling hair, and why?

cocoahair
May 6th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Maybe there is wax in your shampoo or condish. that happened to me for a while before I figured out what it was and it made my ends horrible.I recently decided to go back to cones. May I ask why you went cone free?

Nique1202
May 6th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Okay I'll go searching for it :)
Are cones really that beneficial for not tangling hair, and why?

They smooth out rough or damaged patches in the hair cuticle, making the hair slippery so it doesn't catch on itself, something like patching up holes in a wall or scratches in a table. It's not the same as the original, and it won't last through a proper clarifying wash, but it makes damaged and naturally rough hair a little easier to manage in that way.

Chromis
May 6th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I find sometimes just means I need a good s&d session and/or a tiny microtrim and then suddenly my hair behaves again. :magic:

neko_kawaii
May 6th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Clarify, chelate, SMT, and s&d in that order are how I troubleshoot excessive tangles.

Illryeth
May 6th, 2015, 04:55 PM
It may be that you may just need a little trim just like Chromis said. I actually trimmed my hair last night, and it is already better! (didnt remove all the dry, split ends because my hair would have ended up too short so I will trim it again next month). I got more volume, and I can comb it!!! :D I also clarified before a lot, deep moisturized and nothing helped...
I have heard that silicones provide slip, but they only "mask" the damage instead of actually repairing it like many serums claim to do it :(.

FallingDarkness
May 6th, 2015, 05:07 PM
I went cone free given the advice of this forum, and it made my hair softer than cones ever did, so I stuck with it. <3 VO5

I'd really rather not lose any length over this, because I just had a trim in February... I S&D on occasion but it takes SO LONG with my thick hair.

Nique1202
May 6th, 2015, 05:55 PM
It may be that you may just need a little trim just like Chromis said. I actually trimmed my hair last night, and it is already better! (didnt remove all the dry, split ends because my hair would have ended up too short so I will trim it again next month). I got more volume, and I can comb it!!! :D I also clarified before a lot, deep moisturized and nothing helped...
I have heard that silicones provide slip, but they only "mask" the damage instead of actually repairing it like many serums claim to do it :(.

Nothing can truly repair hair once it's damaged, serums and treatments are still only masking it, and most of them are still using silicones to do the job. Silicones just make a really good mask for damaged hair. As long as they aren't left to build up on the hair and make it look and feel gross, there's nothing wrong with using them if your hair needs help.

Nadine <3
May 6th, 2015, 06:44 PM
I'm almost wondering...is it getting warmer and humid where you live? Just wondering because my hair turns into a tangled wreck when it gets humid, I can't do anything with it unless I use a silicone serum on my length, otherwise it won't separate.

Winterwitch
May 6th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Scary thought, but is it possible you have lice? Your hair is the perfect color for them to hide and not be easily seen in. When I had them in the past, my hair wasn't very noticeably itchy but my hair would get tangled (presumably by the egg "glue") in a matter of hours.
If not, think about anything that could have caused the change. New brush/comb? Different shampoo/conditioner? Use a hair mask recently? Has the weather drastically changed at all? Spent prolonged time in the sun? Go swimming in sea water / chlorinated water?
If not, play around with (cone free) conditioners. Try putting egg yolks in your hair. Look at some diy detanglers maybe. I don't think you need to go back to using cones. A small amount of basic oil on your ends might help (you could dilute it with water if you're afraid it might get greasy?)

ThisDreamer
May 6th, 2015, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure why your hair is tangling, but I also have problems with this. My go to for a quick fix is the good o'l apple cider vinegar in water (or sometimes white) and suddenly everything is good for a while. I do it about once a week to maintain. Sometimes more, sometimes less, really whenever I just feel it might need it. I skip the scalp though otherwise hair is limp and quicker to grease up.

sourgrl
May 6th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Using a shampoo specifically for clarifying and chelating should help if build up is causing the tangles. You can experience build up from other things, not just cones. I'm the opposite of Nadine: my hair tangles something awful when the weather is cold and dry. I get better slip, especially in winter, when I use the rinse out oil method. That method gives me better slip then cones.

Anje
May 6th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Did you change products recently, like in the last month? New formulation? Usually something triggers these things, if it's a fairly sudden change.

Fwiw, worst tangles I ever had turned out to be from protein overload. Most scents of my conditioner didn't have protein, the new one did. Switching away from it and several smts solved the problem that clarifying, chelating, and cutting did not.

StarsandFire
May 6th, 2015, 10:45 PM
I have this same problem. I gave myself a big trim to reduce split ends and I still had the same tangling issue so I gave myself another big trim. Now I have a haircut (went from classic to just below waist) with nothing to show for it. :(

I tried to use natural moisturing conditioners like SheaMoisture, but so far the only thing that works for me is Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. I guess my hair type just needs the cones to provide slippage for detangling?

FallingDarkness
May 6th, 2015, 11:55 PM
I had my mom check for lice, I'm in the clear, thank goodness!
I haven't changed anything about my routine. Same wash night, same shampoos/conditioners as usual, and I'd never dream of replacing my comb or my BBB.
I live in Oregon, the weather still hasn't changed all that much.

What else could cause build up? And I mean is 2 washes really enough to cause it? I clarified just a couple of weeks ago, so...

sourgrl
May 7th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Oils and butters, like shea, can cause build up. If you have hard water but you're not chelating the minerals/calcium from your water can cause build up. Chelating takes care of mineral/calcium build up. Clarifying takes care of build up from cones/oils/butters. There are shampoos that do both (chelate and clarify). I use one from joico that does both VERY well :)

endlessly
May 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately, you might. Sometimes weather changes will wreak havoc on hair, so if it's gotten even the slightest bit warmer or colder, I know my hair will go into panic mode. Do you notice that your ends look damaged at all? When you eliminate silicones, past damage becomes more apparent since it doesn't have that silicone coating anymore - that might be one possible reason. Otherwise, your hair might just do better with them than without. When I went 'cone-free, my hair was pure evil for about 2 months and then it started to behave, but then I had massive tangles and ended up cutting off about 10 inches of damage (plus residual layers).

FallingDarkness
May 7th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I don't have hard water, and I clarified recently so any buildup from my coconut oil wouldn't be the problem.
My ends don't look damaged, I trimmed in February and they have been split-end free and soft ever since. I S&D on occasion so I know this. I might have to go back to using cones. :/ IDK. I still like how soft my VO5 makes my hair.

Deborah
May 7th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I don't generally have a problem with tangly hair, but the few times I have over-washed it or something, and it turned out dried out and tangly, I stroked just a tiny bit of pure shea nut butter on dampened hair, and all was well. Coconut oil does not work for my hair, unlike many on this list, but shea nut butter does wonderful things when something has caused dryness and/or tangles.

Hope you find something that works well for your hair!

Wusel
May 8th, 2015, 01:14 AM
Clarify, chelate, SMT, and s&d in that order are how I troubleshoot excessive tangles.

What is "chelate" and SMT?

Marika
May 8th, 2015, 03:15 AM
The first thing I thought was, why your hair has suddenly reddened. To me this sounds like a mineral buildup. It can happen with soft water too and a regular SLS/SLES shampoo won't get rid of that. I use SLES shampoo every 2-3 days and I still clarify/chelate once in a while with a special shampoo when my hair gets extra-tangly. And water here is soft and tastes really good, so I don't think it has that much minerals like copper, iron etc.

hidetheice
May 8th, 2015, 04:03 AM
I agree with Marika.. I think you should definitely try a chelating shampoo even if you don't think you need it. The worst that will happen is that it doesn't work but with the random reddening you mentioned along with excessive tangleing, mineral buildup sounds like a likely culprit. Just give it a try and be sure to follow up with a moisture treatment.

sourgrl
May 8th, 2015, 05:29 AM
I agree with Marika that the color change could be mineral buildup, unless you've been doing ACV rinses. Either way a good chelating won't hurt.

Cones have their place. If you have a good reason for avoiding them try the rinse out oil method. If you try a rinse oil and you're still having issues then cone free may not be for you. And that's ok :)

ETA: Wusel, chelating removes minerals/calcium buildup from your hair using a special shampoo (usually swimmers shampoo). SMT is short for snoweymoon's moisture treatment. You'll find information regarding how to make it using aloe, honey, and condish here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

lapushka
May 8th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Maybe clarifying once isn't enough. Try clarifying (preferably with a sulfate shampoo), then using a coney conditioner after.

Anje
May 8th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Do try chelating.

How would you describe your ends, other than tangly? Are they stiff? Bent? Snappy? Are they extra stretchy or mushy like wet paper when they're wet?

brickworld13
May 8th, 2015, 01:41 PM
What is "chelate" and SMT?

Chelate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation) Basically it removes mineral buildup from your hair. That article is also auf Deutsch if you want to read in your language. :flower:

SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=snowymoon) is just a deep moisturizing treatment. A lot of people here do them, but I've never tried them.

FallingDarkness
May 8th, 2015, 04:30 PM
My ends are fine. The only difference is that my hair tangles easily. I have the same, ordinary texture throughout my hair.
I'll chelate tomorrow, and use a coney conditioner probably, and maybe just stick with cones for a while, still clarifying regularly though. If I wash 4 times a month is once a month often enough for clarifying?

Nope
May 8th, 2015, 11:25 PM
You mentioned that vo5 makes your hair softer than silicone conditioners, so why not try mixing them together or the double conditioning method? You condition once with a non-cone conditioner, and then a second time with a coney conditioner. Doing that always helps amazingly with my tangles and moisturization. Also, as others mentioned, it could possibly be protein overload so try using products without any protein for a little while.

FallingDarkness
May 9th, 2015, 12:41 AM
Oooh that's a good idea! I mean I already CWC never occurred to me that I could you know use 2 different conditioners... :P

Arctic
May 9th, 2015, 08:46 AM
CWC apparently doesn't suit everyone, and can itself make hair tangly. Search for posts from LuxePiggy and Spidermom to know more. It's about chemistry of shampoos, conditioners and hair, and I can't remember the details out of memory.

cat11
May 9th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I had this happen to me recently and I was so annoyed. To fix it I clarified, did a short protein treatment (important not too long!) and then followed with a SMT. Used smaaaal amount of macadamia oil on my ends smoothing down section by section occasionally while drying to keep everything in the right direction and not tangling... this really helps with wavy/curly hair. Worked beautifully.