PDA

View Full Version : How short is too short for oiling ends?

missrandie
May 6th, 2015, 09:32 AM
How short is too short for oiling my ends and "length"?
Since the longest hair on my head is at 5.5 inches, it doesn't need much of anything. However, call me over cautious, but these are going to be the ends of a glorious long mane someday, and I want them happy.

Quick reference- 2x/week shampoo and LIGHT condition on the tips, sometimes jojoba and castor oil pre poo.

Nique1202
May 6th, 2015, 10:02 AM
I usually lift the top half of my hair and oil from about 2-3 inches away from the scalp right up to the ends, so you could probably do the same. Oil might not even be necessary until you're past shoulder length unless your hair is really dry, though, so you might be able to save yourself the trouble for now.

elsieivy
May 6th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I don't like getting oil on my scalp so I wouldn't start oiling until I could easily get the hair without it getting on the scalp. Maybe between chin and shoulder?

Anje
May 6th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I'd say something like chin length seems like a good point at which to start. But it depends a lot on your hair and your scalp. If you have an oily scalp that has your ends oily a day post-wash, I don't see much point in oiling the ends yet. If you have a dry scalp and your hair is getting dried out, there's no reason you can't oil your hair and scalp when your hair's a half inch long. Just mess with it and figure out what works best for you. :D

Sarahlabyrinth
May 6th, 2015, 02:10 PM
I don't see why you can't start oiling them now if you want to.

Nadine <3
May 6th, 2015, 02:48 PM
If you want to, I don't see why not. Personally, I didn't start oiling until halfway to APL because I have a really oily scalp. I was also CO washing so my ends didn't need it.

ositarosita
May 6th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I oil all the way up to my scalp, have been since my hair was .5" long. I do the same with conditioner, I condition all the way up to my scalp.

lapushka
May 6th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I'd not start oiling until between shoulder - APL. At that short stage, your sebum should basically do, as well as the little conditioner you may need.

chen bao jun
May 6th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Always have had to oil my ends and scalp too even when I had 2 inches hair but I am black with dry afro curly hair and dry scalp. So it depends.