PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's hair gotten wavier in their late 30's?

maryva
October 3rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Could this be related to hormones at all? Thanks!

Simplicity
October 3rd, 2008, 04:22 AM
I wonder that too. My stick straight hair as a teen/young lady now has a definite S wave at the back and right side of my head (the left side is still pretty straight). I'm curious as to why this has happened as I've gone through my 30's. Will it continue to progress? I really wish it was consistent all over!

Giggy2
October 3rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Mine is much wavier now also. I'll be 38 next month and have noticed the fullness and waves for about a year now. I love the waves. Scrunching has become a regular part of my after-wash ritual. I even add some Joico curl enhancer and WOW I can't believe it. :cheese:

I was wondering if it was hormonal too.:confused:

PeaceWithTrees
October 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Im not in my 30s, but i do know that after women have children, there hair permanetly turns a small shade darker with each child. Well, darker untill they are much older!

1nuitblanche
October 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
In my family, everyone's hair has gotten curlier as they've gotten older. (I have the second straightest hair of the bunch of us). I think the most dramatic changes I've seen have been around puberty and pregnancies, but women have a lot of hormone changes throughout their life, so I even without an obvious reason, I think that they could definitely be playing a role.

jessie58
October 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
No idea why but I got much curlier as I got older.

lynnala
October 3rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Yup. My hair was stick straight as a kid, now I have waves.

Lady Jane
October 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
When I was 13 I got a perm - and it lasted about 10 years! My hair turned into a very curly spiral as a teenager. After I started having children, it got less curly with each pregnancy. Now I have very wavy hair if I work at it with gel and a diffuser (which I no longer use). But no spiral curls! In my opinion, hormones definitely play a part.

ole gray mare
October 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
My very curly sister got straighter hair with age. I used to be 1a or 1b and now am a 1c/2a. And that's just the start of the changes in my hair! ;)

Suldrun
October 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
I have never had children but my hair seems be wavy now and if I braid or curl it it stays.

When I was younger it was very straight and I could not get it to keep a wave or curl very long even using mouse and hairspray:rolleyes:

Now that I think about it it could be hormonal since I have had hormone problems for the last 4 years or so and it seems wavier since then:shrug:

Addy
October 4th, 2008, 06:12 AM
My hair has always been poker straight until I had a hack job in Aug 07 and then it started doing the wave on me and has been wavy ever since.

I hadn't noticed any changes in my hair before, during or after giving birth in 95' and/or 97'. It's weird if you ask me but I won't complain!

maluszek
October 4th, 2008, 07:23 AM
My hair got some waves when I was a teenager and when I started experimenting with hair.. hair straighteners, hair bleaches, etc. Then it got wavy and ugly

ItsMyHair
October 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Yes! I'm so glad to hear this. I just finally realized that the reason I had stopped liking my hair was because I wasn't treating it as curly hair. Once I realized it was curly, things have gotten so much better.

Tangles
October 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM
My mom went from a 1a to a 1c, but her hair only started getting wavier when she was around 50.

angelthadiva
October 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM
As a child my hair was pretty straight. As I've gotten older and have had children, I agree w/some of the other posters...I think hormones played a large part in these springs in my hair.

Blueglass
October 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
yes, wavier, and coarser. Some hairs feel like wire.

MsHelena
October 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM
My mother's hair went from curly to wavy in her late thirties. My sister's hair went from straight to wurly in her early twenties. That doesn't really answer your question, but it does demonstrate that hair can do that.

Melisande
October 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM
My hair was always stick straight, but in the last two years I noticed a definitve body wave and now I'm 1b. I always thought it's the structure of the grays coming in - they are coarser and stronger.

It might be hormones, though. I'm 44, and it happened really just in the last two years, when my hair began to get partly gray, and long after I had my last child. Besides, I think plant dyeing and cone avoidance played a role too. The thickness has definitely improved, too.

Tap Dancer
October 5th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I'm 30, but my hair has gotten wavier since my late 20s.

Marlowe
October 5th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I think I have everyone beat for number of hair texture changes. My hair was stick straight barring my bangs as a kid, then it went curly, then back to straight barring bangs, and now it's curly again. And it's gotten noticeably lighter in color too over the past few years as well. (People's hair going darker as they get older is normal, but lighter? I never hear anything about it from other people.)

Solange
October 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I thought the opposite was more likely. My mother's once very curly hair has "loosened up", and my own hair, which was very wavy only has some some loose "S"s left, except immediately after air-drying.

paper
October 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I don't know why, but this happened to me too. My hair was stick straight as a kid and now I have waves. My Mom asked me the other day if I got a perm. :confused:
When I came here I thought I was a 1a, and changed it to 1b, then a 1c. I might even be a 2a but will have to wait until my hair gets a little longer to tell for sure.

Islandgrrl
October 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM
How about mid-40s? I noticed my previously stick straight hair getting a bit wavy (see avatar pic) as it's growing out since my mid-40s. I'm now what would be considered late 40s and I even have one spiral curl in the front that just completely baffles me.

Isblå
October 5th, 2008, 01:23 PM
My hair has changed a lot as well. I had long hair around age 12 and then it just had really big waves. Then there was a period of shorter hair and after that between age 18 and 23 my hair started to aquire curls here and there. It seems the curls are still increasing at age 25 but I can't really tell, as I just cut layers, and that just brought out the curls so much more.
One thing that might be significant is that from age 18 I was at University, and there were a lot of stressfull periods (exams). I wonder if that can manifest in the hair structure?

Eden Iris
October 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Much wavier now than in my 20s. I blamed it on pregnancy, but maybe it's a factor of age. I also noticed my hair getting darker, but that's probably more a factor of lifestyle (less time in the sun) than hormones or childbirth.

jojo
October 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM
My hair has always been wavy/curly but more so since I started treating it right.