PDA

View Full Version : To dye or not?

noludoru
May 5th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I've grown my hair out from a pixie to collar bone length. I'm pretty happy with my curls now and have a routine that works. Sadly, due to thyroid issues, my hair is coming out in handfuls every day. It's gone from medium-thick to medium-thin in the last year. If I continue to waist, I think I'll have a rat-tail at the rate it's thinned. I'm not even close to having the thyroid issues fixed. I'm also experiencing a lot of damage and splits at the ends, sometimes traveling up an inch or so. It's falling out at the top and breaking at the bottom. (I don't use heat, I conditioner wash and stretch washes, I coconut oil and do leave-ins and brush with a tangle teazer.)

The thoughts I'm toying with now are dyeing it red or blonde (then lavender/purple), cutting it all off when I'm done playing with it, and growing it back out when my thyroid is in check. Then I'd be able to have some fun with it without it looking terrible.

I'm pretty sure I still do want long hair- but I've been having lots of headaches from putting it up, and doing some stupid stuff and then chopping it off is seeming like a great idea.

What would you do? What would you do if you were me?

Nique1202
May 5th, 2015, 05:52 PM
If you're concerned about your hair thinning and splitting and you're far from getting your thyroid under control and it's only at collarbone-ish, have fun with it. Bleach it and dye it purple or whatever other colour (or stick with blonde if it suits you!) and make yourself as happy as possible with the state it's in now. When your thyroid stuff is under control, then you can choose whether to shave/pixie again or grow out from wherever it is at that point and start caring for it the LHC way, if you still want to grow it long at all. Take care of yourself and good luck with the thyroid issue. :heart:

teal
May 5th, 2015, 06:07 PM
I would play with it - do one, do both, do them all, or something else entirely (poodle perm!)

Just a thought (and something I did when i had shorter hair in college)... why choose between colours? Bleach it within an inch of its life, then dye the bottom half red (leave the roots blonde), wash, then dye the tips purple. I've never had so many comments and looks in my life as when my hair was like that. Of course you could choose other colours, but you did say red and purple...

Alex Lou
May 5th, 2015, 06:53 PM
If you do a medium to dark red, that will be far less damaging than going blond. Even though the blond is fun, you will be frustrated by fried hair and may not enjoy it as much with all the damage. I'd go red!

Larki
May 5th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I say have fun with it and enjoy it!

Obsidian
May 5th, 2015, 07:15 PM
If you plan on cutting it anyways, might as well have fun with it. I'd bleach platinum then go for pastel colors.

memeow
May 5th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Okay, here's a different perspective. As someone who's hair is decisively on the thin side of medium, it's really not the end of the world, especially if you have natural curls and are at collarbone length. I completely understand not wanting to grow it out while dealing with thyroid issues, but if you chop it all off it's gonna take 1-2 years to get back to where you are. I'd say use veggie dyes to get the red/purple you want, bleaching if necessary, but plan to maintain around collarbone rather than chopping. Unless you actively want short hair it's gonna be so frustrating to grow it back out. Sure you'll get some damage if you use bleach, but if you're careful about treating it right (pre-oiling and using protein as necessary) it should be manageable. Then you can just trim out the worst of it and carry on your way.

Unless you want short hair again, then completely disregard :blossom:

endlessly
May 5th, 2015, 09:25 PM
This is tough to answer. My first instinct is to say that since you're planning on cutting it off anyway, go ahead and play with it and make it every color of the rainbow. However, consider the potential side effects of hair dye and whether or not your thyroid issues could make you have a reaction to the chemical dye.

Also, some medications can cause you to have an allergic reaction to hair dyes, so keep that in mind as well if you are currently taking any.

Otherwise, best of luck in whatever you decide and hopefully you're able to get your medical issues under control.

missrandie
May 5th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I would have fun with it. Personally, while I was pixie, I bleached it within an inch of its life to the point where it reminded me of white corn on the cob, then had epic pink bangs, then rocked the frosted tips, then dyed Sharon Osborne red. Good times. Love red hair.
Anywho, have a ball with it!

lapushka
May 6th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Your hair is already weak due to the thyroid issues. Dyeing it is not going to help. Hope you get your thyroid sorted asap. Good luck. :)

noludoru
May 7th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Dyeing it is not designed to help. If I'm going to chop it off, I want to have FUN with it first. I won't dye if I want to grow it out, just the sun-in I used has caused damage.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone! I looked at it in the mirror and it's already BSL. This has been about two years of growth, and I'll be really upset to get rid of it. I've decided to oil and take care of it, give it a bit of a trim, and see if I can live with the continued thinning. I mean no disrespect, but I find thin hair unattractive and would rather have it short to disguise the damage than have it long, thin, and breaking.

I'm not sure how to grow it out without damage, since I can't stand my natural color, and I don't want henna on it without bleaching it.

**** dark hair. I just don't like it. :(

noludoru
May 7th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Okay, cut some bangs I've been thinking about for months and cut an inch off using the ponytail method. Deep conditioned and used coconut on the roots and olive oil on the ends. It's now drying in a wrap, and I'll straighten the bangs. We'll see how the rest feels when I'm done. If it keeps breaking, I'll just have some fun with it and cut it off. If not, I'll continue to grow! We're finally at a length I like and I have some nice layers that should help with creating the look of volume.