PDA

View Full Version : Remove "rose" Undertone From Henna?

Winterwitch
May 5th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Hi everyone. My hair was dyed with Light Mountain henna (no other ingredients like hibiscus, just the henna.) My hair already had a slight pink tinge to it, but I assumed since henna is basically orannge/red it would be fine. Well, it did work out for a few weeks but later the pink tone started showing through again. I went searching for a henna to do it over again, I was looking into BAQ henna because it's supposed to have higher lawsone content. Well, I came across mehandi.com and looked through their henna, all of which seemed to boast having a "rose" undertone. Which is exactly what I'm trying to get rid of!
I ended up getting some Jamila henna because I heard it was the most coppery, but evidently it's also more pigmented because it made my hair a might darker than I would have liked. I managed to lighten it to the desirable shade, but with the lightening came back the rose-y undertone.
I was thinking about getting a half henna, half cassia mix. It'll make it less pigmented (since I already have the desired shade) and I also read that cassia has an ever so faint yellow dye in it. Is there any other herb I could put in it? I know that marigold makes a red dye (I've used it for clothes) but I don't know if it'll effect my hair or cover the pink tinge.

I may just get used to the rosiness though, it's a pretty tone I just think it looks less natural and washes me out a bit.

Yenn
May 5th, 2015, 10:27 AM
hm, just throwing ideas here, hopefully someone with experience will chime in...but, what about just cassia? if it has yellow tone and no darkening, might be a good thing to experiment with

renia22
May 5th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Winterwitch- what is your natural color underneath?

spidermom
May 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I've personally never seen henna give a rose undertone, so I don't know what you're talking about. Most curious!

texangrrl
May 5th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone. My hair was dyed with Light Mountain henna (no other ingredients like hibiscus, just the henna.) My hair already had a slight pink tinge to it, but I assumed since henna is basically orannge/red it would be fine. Well, it did work out for a few weeks but later the pink tone started showing through again. I went searching for a henna to do it over again, I was looking into BAQ henna because it's supposed to have higher lawsone content. Well, I came across mehandi.com and looked through their henna, all of which seemed to boast having a "rose" undertone. Which is exactly what I'm trying to get rid of!
I ended up getting some Jamila henna because I heard it was the most coppery, but evidently it's also more pigmented because it made my hair a might darker than I would have liked. I managed to lighten it to the desirable shade, but with the lightening came back the rose-y undertone.
I was thinking about getting a half henna, half cassia mix. It'll make it less pigmented (since I already have the desired shade) and I also read that cassia has an ever so faint yellow dye in it. Is there any other herb I could put in it? I know that marigold makes a red dye (I've used it for clothes) but I don't know if it'll effect my hair or cover the pink tinge.

I may just get used to the rosiness though, it's a pretty tone I just think it looks less natural and washes me out a bit.

I have used the Mehandi.com Rajasthani Monsoon and it does mention rose undertones on the website, but trust me when I say it's coppery. It's the only henna they have that they mention the rose undertones, but I think they're meaning that is with MULTIPLE applications because that henna was definitely copper on my medium brown hair. It was the first henna I ever used and I have done a few applications of it. I do have a cherry cola color now, but that's because I combined the Red Raj (sold by Henna Sooq) with hibiscus powder.

Half henna and half cassia would lighten the color of the henna if that's what you're looking to do. Can you tell us what exactly is your natural color and can you link pics of the color you currently have? It would help us give you better recommendations. :)

Winterwitch
May 5th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Natural hair is like.. Dark blond maybe? Light brown?
http://i.imgur.com/Ot54Zpu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/J71DEzk.jpg

Anje
May 5th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I'm going to second the "try just cassia" suggestion. It's usually fairly temporary (compared to henna, anything's temporary!) but I think that a yellow-gold tone over the rose will bring your color more into the orange-copper range. Also, it shouldn't darken things up much. Adding another layer of henna will make your hair a deeper, darker red but I think that if anything it might further emphasize the rose you're seeing.

spidermom
May 5th, 2015, 12:55 PM
O.k., I think I see what you're talking about, but I'd describe it as more a highlight than an undertone - it's pretty. I usually see greenish highlights in henna-colored hair.

Best wishes arriving at the color of your dreams.

Could it be that the lighting where you took the picture has a pinkish glow? I know they sell lightbulbs that are pinkish, but lamp shades can cause that as well as the color of the walls or drapes.

Winterwitch
May 5th, 2015, 01:06 PM
O.k., I think I see what you're talking about, but I'd describe it as more a highlight than an undertone - it's pretty. I usually see greenish highlights in henna-colored hair.

Best wishes arriving at the color of your dreams.

Could it be that the lighting where you took the picture has a pinkish glow? I know they sell lightbulbs that are pinkish, but lamp shades can cause that as well as the color of the walls or drapes.
I stood next to the window, thats it in the sun. Tbh I don't much see the pinkiness except in the daylight, inside its not much like that.

And thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm going to try just the cassia. Dunno how that'll blend my routes in though, I'll see

spidermom
May 5th, 2015, 03:10 PM
You can always try the cassia and see how it does. You can also mix a little henna with a lot of cassia.

teddygirl
May 5th, 2015, 05:08 PM
That first picture is so pretty! I'm kind of obsessed with pink hair and I think it looks great hehe

Rosetta
May 6th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Ah, I wish I had ever come across henna with rose undertone, I might still be using henna instead of growing my natural ;) (Well, probably not, as I love my natural colour now, but still, rose toned would suit me much better than the pure orange...)