PDA

View Full Version : Using ACV and sun to lighten my hair?

kelseyxface
May 4th, 2015, 09:12 PM
I have purple in my hair and it's been pretty stubborn on my ends where my henna and bleach is. My roots are the exact purple I want but the henna muddled the purple on the ends into a DEEP plum color, almost black. (I also made the mistake of redying my hair a second time only 4 weeks after the first application which only worsened the problem) I've been spending the last 8 weeks trying to rinse out as much dye as possible before I redye my hair so the ends wouldn't become too dark again. Mostly just washing my hair and letting the dye fade naturally along with some baking soda clarifying rinses. I've been looking into ways others on LHC have lightened their henna'd hair/dyed hair and found numerous threads, most suggesting honey, lemon, sun in, the usual. However I've never seen ACV suggested.

The reason I bring it up is because today I washed my hair as usual and followed up with an ACV rinse on my ends. I ended up outside in the sun and 90 degree weather for roughly an hour or so and noticed that some chunks of hair on my ends had been lightened by about 3-4 shades! The only thing I can think of is I must not have gotten the ACV rinse out of my hair in those areas and the resulting trip into the outdoors created a lightening effect on my hair. I'm debating on spraying my ends again tomorrow and sitting out in the sun, however upon a few google searches and some poking on LHC I haven't seen any one suggest ACV and I was wondering if there was a reason why. I know any lightening, bleach or "natural", will result in some damage but I'm wondering if ACV is worse for hair than the mentioned methods on this site. Thoughts? Tips? Am I missing a thread?!

(Also if anyone is curious, the dilution I used on my hair was 1 part ACV to 10 parts distilled water).

gthlvrmx
May 4th, 2015, 11:14 PM
I think ACV darkens hair a bit, or over time it may add a reddish tint to some people's hair.

Panth
May 5th, 2015, 06:34 AM
How strong was your ACV rinse? Accentuating sun lightening is usually only associated with lemon juice rinses and is usually a long-term thing, not a one-day thing and certainly not a one-hour thing. gthlvrmx is also right that ACV rinses can darken blonde hair, though that, too, is a gradual, long-term effect of using them, not an immediate one.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to think that it was the accumulated damage and/or the baking soda washes (which, btw, don't clarify, are very harsh on hair and most definitely can cause bleaching - here's an extreme example (http://thehairpin.com/2014/01/three-years-without-shampoo) but bleaching happens with a more dilute ratio, too, it just takes longer) and that you only noticed it just now.