PDA

View Full Version : Little post-LHC life triumph

noreenw
May 4th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Moved to another country for 7 months and took only a travel sized shampoo. 4 months in, it's only half used up and going strong thanks to my 1-or-2-times-per-week washing routine (fine hair helps too). :rockerdud

(of course, any potential savings are negated by the overpriced bottle of silicone-free shampoo I'm tearing through... sigh)

Anyone relate? :)

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Oh boy, seeing as we use 3 palmfuls of shampoo a wash, no I definitely can't relate. I can't get my mind around "travel size" and 7 months, and the bottle still being half-full.

noreenw
May 4th, 2015, 03:36 PM
No? The joys of scalp-only washing, I can't imagine using that much at all! Just a little squirt is all it takes for me :)

Lindenare
May 4th, 2015, 03:44 PM
I think it may be a hair density thing. I personally need a palmful for a scalp-only wash just to get shampoo past the edges of my hair. It's awesome that you've been able to make it last for so long, though!

Nadine <3
May 4th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Haha, I can relate to this. A normal bottle of shampoo lasts me at least a year.

Agnes Hannah
May 4th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Me too! a bottle lasts for ages, a bonus of having fine hair

FallingDarkness
May 4th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I mean I don't think I'm QUITE to that point yet, but I used to go through one normal sized shampoo bottle in one month and now it takes me half a year, min.

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Yeah my mom has i/ii hair and barely uses up shampoo; I OTOH. :rolleyes: :lol:

gwenalyn
May 4th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Me too! a bottle lasts for ages, a bonus of having fine hair

Might you mean thin hair? My hair is fine, and I use up a big bottle of shampoo every 4-5 months.

RainbowBowser
May 4th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I can certainly relate, as I wash twice a week. though if you mean the really tiny travel bottles, I'd only get by for a month.
Back when I washed my hair daily, it would take me 3 months to get through a regular sized bottle of shampoo.
Now that I have reduced that significantly, it takes like, a year.

cathair
May 4th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Depends on the shampoo for me. Sulphates I can get round my scalp pretty easily. Sulphate free ones, need a little more. Cocamidopropyl betaine based shampoos I need tons more. Starting to think sulphate free is just a false economy in some respects. I don't wash my hair very often, so when I do, I don't enjoy skimping on shampoo much.

Puffer Fish
May 4th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I think it's a hair density thing, not a hair thickness thing.

...however, since I have both high density and medium/thick strands, I can't relate nor confirm any of our theories here. All I know is that for me, hotel size shampoos are more like 'two-shower' sizes 'cause that's about how long they last. They're good for emergency washes when visiting somewhere, but I definitely couldn't make it for months on end with just one.

divinedobbie
May 4th, 2015, 09:01 PM
I don't have very dense hair but I definitely go through a bottle of shampoo in about two months...maybe three when I was stretching washes. What size bottle are we all talking about because mine tend to be approx 300 mL.

Larki
May 4th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I don't use shampoo. :p But I go through a 22 oz bottle of conditioner about every month and a half. On the few occasions I've had to use shampoo (traveling, I didn't bother bringing my own S&C on the plane because it's a plane), I barely made a dent in the mini hotel shampoo bottle after four days, and went through three mini bottles of hotel conditioner (trying my best to be conservative with it, too) ;)

KittyBird
May 4th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I can sort of relate.. I dilute my sls/sles-free shampoo, so I only use around 1 tbls for each wash. I wash 2-3 times a week, and I think I've had my 300ml bottle for some 6 months now. :p If I didn't dilute it, I'd have to use palmfuls of shampoo too.

tigress86
May 5th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Wow! I am going on a 2 week trip and I am worried if travel size shampoo and conditioner will be enough :D I don't use palmfuls of shampoo, the amount of shampoo I use is about the size of a 2 euro coin, but I always shampoo twice.

Rosetta
May 5th, 2015, 01:43 AM
I normally use up a travel size (about 50 ml?) shampoo in two washes at most, and I have fine hair too :) Not to mention conditioner usage, I mean a standard 200 ml bottle lasts only about 2-3 washes for me...! Not very economical, or ecological... But I'm using shampoo bars mostly for now (also to reduce plastic usage), and even a sample size lasts ages!

(As an aside, I never understood why shampoo bottles are always a larger size than conditioners, it should totally be the other way round! :lol:)

hanne jensen
May 5th, 2015, 03:10 AM
I can understand how a travel size bottle lasts so long. I too have fine hair and a lot of them. I dilute everything and squirt it directly on my scalp. I make a part down the middle from forehead to nape, squirt diluted poo, swish around and them make a part around ear level to the nape, squirt and swish. I have a small head. Tilt my head under the shower for a moment to help distribute the poo. leave the poo on my head while I wash face and decollage. It's possible. Shampoo lasts eternity for me.

YvetteVarie
May 5th, 2015, 03:38 AM
I can also understand having shampoo last for ages. I have a bottle of shampoo I haven't used up in a year+ (500ml bottle). However, I tear through conditioner. The same size bottle conditioner lasts me 2 or 3 washes

lapushka
May 5th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Not to mention conditioner usage, I mean a standard 200 ml bottle lasts only about 2-3 washes for me...! Not very economical, or ecological...

I use a 200ml bottle of conditioner in 2/3 washes as well. Their fault. They should make bigger bottles of conditioner. ;)

meteor
May 5th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Oh my goodness, that's impressive! :D
And I thought I use shampoo super-slowly, because one travel size bottle lasts me 2 washes (I assumed those bottles were made for one use). I always dilute shampoo and I do scalp-only washes frequently instead of full washes, ... and I still go through shampoo pretty quickly. Conditioner... well, let's just say I feel lucky if one big bottle lasts me more than 3-5 uses. :lol: Thank goodness, I use only cheap stuff now.