PDA

View Full Version : English braid in the back bends towards neck...

Wusel
May 4th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I'm happy that I finally can do an english braid in the back with my APL but it's so annoying that it bends towards my neck all the time because it seems to be too short to hang down. I added a second heavier scrunchie, without success...

HELP!!!

two_wheels
May 4th, 2015, 01:43 PM
The braid will go where your hands go when you're braiding. So instead of pulling the hair in front of you or braiding downwards, pull up on the tail and braid up directly behind you, or even towards the ceiling. It comes out a little bit poofy at the neck that way, but you will not get jabbed by your hair. Worked for me anyway.

meteor
May 4th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Yay, congrats on doing the braid! :cheer:

Hmm, I had the same thing when my hair was shorter, but now it's still sort of uneven/bulky at the beginning, so I'm definitely subscribing! :D

I think it might be related to iii thickness, like maybe the braid is too bulky/stubby? Gaining more length helps by "stretching"/straightening it down, so to speak.

Arctic
May 4th, 2015, 01:54 PM
How about starting the braid a little bit differently. I have learned to call the method a Dianyla braid back in the day, but what apparently is called faux-french braid currently in the forums. The braid will not touch your neck and is more comfortable.

meteor
May 4th, 2015, 02:04 PM
The braid will go where your hands go when you're braiding. So instead of pulling the hair in front of you or braiding downwards, pull up on the tail and braid up directly behind you, or even towards the ceiling. It comes out a little bit poofy at the neck that way, but you will not get jabbed by your hair. Worked for me anyway.

That's a really cool idea, TW! :thumbsup: The direction of braiding is super-important in how it will lay down.

How about starting the braid a little bit differently. I have learned to call the method a Dianyla braid back in the day, but what apparently is called faux-french braid currently in the forums. The braid will not touch your neck and is more comfortable.

Oh yes, that's an excellent idea, Arctic! :D And it looks great, too.
In case somebody needs a tutorial for a Faux French braid technique, here is one by torrinpaige ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA

I also notice that when I do a couple small (accent) braids to go into the main braid, it lays much more evenly, because some of the hair is taken up by the accent braids.