PDA

View Full Version : Getting the bun tension just right

LauraLongLocks
May 3rd, 2015, 05:54 PM
I am having difficulty getting the right tension and anchoring of my buns lately. My hair is heavier and so my buns tend to pull from the front of my hairline over the course of the day. Placing my bun higher on my crown helps some, and topknots are the most comfortable, but I dislike the look of a topknot for anything aside from sleeping. I could french braid the front of it, but that takes more time and patience. I've tried making a ponytail base for my buns and that helps sometimes, too.

Is there a trick to getting my tension just right so that it won't pull from the front? If I make it tighter, the pulling is from the sides and back. Either way, it's uncomfortable.

Nadine <3
May 3rd, 2015, 06:01 PM
This is a good question, following this...I always seem to have pulling somewhere and then I end up with a sore scalp!

Vanilla
May 3rd, 2015, 06:11 PM
Gossamer uses twists in the front to reduce the tension on the front of her hair when it's in a bun. I am going to be trying this technique tomorrow with a cinnabun, as I can never seem to get the tension right on these.

meteor
May 3rd, 2015, 06:27 PM
LauraLongLocks, have you seen this video by gossamer to take off the weight of the bun with twist(s) in the front?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7YcsdZX40

It's easier/faster to do with a twist or two than with accent braids, but accent braids have the same affect.

LongCurlyTress
May 3rd, 2015, 06:53 PM
Hi LLL! I think some use a hairtie to anchor the bun first, ponytail style and then create the bun. But Gossamer's video is also a real great idea and she would know all the tricks available to deal with the weight of her hair. Good luck~ :blossom:

spidermom
May 3rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
I just shake down and re-do the bun multiple times if I have to. Some days I get the tension just right and can forget my hair for the entire day. Other days I'm not so lucky.

cat11
May 3rd, 2015, 07:57 PM
^Yeah I do what spidermom does. I have heavy hair even though its only between BSL and waist. Also helps to use two hairsticks, and I always bun at my crown (use braids to mix up placement a bit.... but im bad about this, admittedly) Tying a ribbon around the bun (long one, wrapped then tied, actually helps hold it up and looks pretty. Usually though, i just re adjust and readjust and make sure that it is not too tight. try to pull more from the bottom up than from the front back, letting the front poof up a bit. That really helps me and it looks good too. For different buns, hair forks are better and pull less.

cathair
May 3rd, 2015, 08:27 PM
Looking up at the ceiling when making a bun tends to make it looser at the front and less saggy at the back.

arr
May 3rd, 2015, 08:51 PM
I find it helps to start with a French or Dutch braid and then just bun the braid. For some reason it is the most comfortable type of bun for a long day. If I need an unbraided bun to last all day comfortably without pulling, I must use a hair fork, at least 3 prongs. You can make a looser bun and still have it stay if you use a fork. Sometimes I also separately pin the top part of my hair and then just make a bun underneath it, closer to the nape. This keeps the top part from pulling because you can get it adjusted before making your bun. Occasionally there are days when nothing is comfortable, and Im messing with my hair all day long. That's what I now refer to as a "bad hair day".

Natalina
May 3rd, 2015, 08:56 PM
I've similar problem as well, especially since I've bangs. Will be looking out for tips on this thread for sure!

EdG
May 3rd, 2015, 09:35 PM
Once I figured out the twist and stick placement, I found that I could get a cinnabun to hold all day with very little tension.

The reason why this works for me is that my hair tapers down to nothing. In a cinnabun, each loop sits underneath the previous one. I make four loops, and the last two are critical to holding the bun in place and distributing its weight. The cinnabun would be much more difficult if I had blunt ends.
Ed

Doreen
May 4th, 2015, 01:22 AM
I have this problem too. I have also tried using multiple sticks to hold it but that didn't seem to help much either. I have to re-do at least once a day.

browneyedsusan
May 4th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Following this thread. When I bun, it pulls from my crown.
I get around it by styling my hair different every day--non-center-back styles help, like two buns or braids, and taking it down once I'm home for the day.

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Comb/brush it (or if you dont, then don't) beforehand. Don't simultaneously use a comb/brush and throw it up, that might give uneven tension. After combing/brushing, put your hair in your hands, and do it up. You'll have less individual hairs pulling at you.

yahirwaO.o
May 4th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Oh my.... after years of trying to get the right answer.... I simply gave up with my own experience and tender head. I can only keep my buns on the lower side, anything mid or high is simply going to cause me a sore scalp, no matter if I section, start with pony base, braid whatever this is just the way my scalp is.
I wish I could give a nice answer, but if u cant fine a comfortable position, try to go with the less painful one and redo it several times as the day goes by, this way that sore sensation is not going to be as bad when you take it down.

LauraLongLocks
May 4th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Thanks, everyone. Today I got around it with making twin dutch braids and creating a bun with my braids at the back. I just don't have time to do that everyday. I love these ideas. Thank you, keep them coming!

cat11
May 5th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Once I figured out the twist and stick placement, I found that I could get a cinnabun to hold all day with very little tension.

The reason why this works for me is that my hair tapers down to nothing. In a cinnabun, each loop sits underneath the previous one. I make four loops, and the last two are critical to holding the bun in place and distributing its weight. The cinnabun would be much more difficult if I had blunt ends.
Ed

I cant do cinnabuns anymore for this reason. They hurt! Maybe when I have more coils...

EdG
May 5th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I cant do cinnabuns anymore for this reason. They hurt! Maybe when I have more coils...I can feel the weight of the cinnabun on my head, but the pulling is minimal (when made right). :)

I still can't get a lazy wrap bun to stay. I think the name is a misnomer. ;)
Ed

woodswanderer
May 5th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Aha! Perhaps the blunt ends thing a part of why cinnabuns are awkward for me.

Ed

EdG
May 5th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Aha! Perhaps the blunt ends thing a part of why cinnabuns are awkward for me.It would be interesting to see if there is correlation between "fairytale ends" and "cinnabuns work". I think there is.
Ed

woodswanderer
May 5th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Since bun tension is also related to bun placement...can someone enlighten me on how you place your bun up high/close to the top and then take it down later without pain? Is there a trick? My scalp hurts like the dickens afterwards when I take it back down and all the hairs are pointing down again instead of pointing up like it was in the bun. They seem to not like changing directions and I have scalp pain the whole next day( the couple times I tried a high placement).

cat11
May 5th, 2015, 10:19 PM
I think this is just something you have to train your scalp to get used to. Madora has made some really good posts on it in the past. Basically you do the style for a short time, and gradually increase the time to allow your scalp to adjust. It should hurt less after only being up for an hour and then going down because the follicles have less time to set. Some people's scalps are more sensitive to this than others, I think it also depends how often you wear your hair higher up. Ive always worn high hairstyles, before I did LHC styles I wore high ponies and loop buns. But it's not something you cant get used to with just a little bit of "training" so I've heard :)

woodswanderer
May 5th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Training, huh? Guess there's no pain free shortcut. Thanks though:)