PDA

View Full Version : What do you do during a S&D session?

RainbowBowser
May 3rd, 2015, 05:16 PM
As one who regularly engages in the search and destroy method, I got to wondering what the other LCHers here have in the background while hunting for damaged strands.
For example, I listen to a gaming group podcast (Creature Talk) while S&Ding once a week.
Or, it will be sitting with my boyfriend in the living room while he watches anime.
Also I do quick checks and get a few strands in between tasks while playing Minecraft.

What are you all up to when you S&D?

Sharysa
May 3rd, 2015, 05:21 PM
I search-and-destroy my split ends every month and reshape my hemline if it needs it.

The hemline only takes ten or fifteen minutes, but trimming split ends in thick, wavy hair takes one or two hours. Therefore, I put my iPhone music on. Musicals are great since their songs tend towards the 4-6 minute mark. :D

Larki
May 3rd, 2015, 05:26 PM
I just watch TV on Hulu and S&D using my black laptop as the backdrop. Works great because it's easy to see splits and white dots against a dark background.

Seeshami
May 3rd, 2015, 05:27 PM
Talk to fat Squeek, Keiky and Quin or AspenSong. Sometimes I pick music for dance sets.

Nadine <3
May 3rd, 2015, 05:27 PM
I like to sit next to the big picture window in the living room, or out on the porch when it's warm for my S&D sessions but usually I turn on some sort of music, or I'll but on a mindless sitcom on my laptop. Oh, I like listening to comedians while I S&D too :)

Nique1202
May 3rd, 2015, 05:40 PM
I keep Notepad fullscreen on my laptop to see the splits against (large, plain white space) and I either listen to podcasts or watch something on TV or Netflix. I don't have a good enough view of the sky to do it against my window, and if I try to S&D against the screen I'm watching something on I feel like I'll miss splits.

AspenSong
May 3rd, 2015, 06:08 PM
Talk to fat Squeek, Keiky and Quin or AspenSong. Sometimes I pick music for dance sets.

Or you do it while I'm driving. lol.

I tend to listen to music or sit outside/near a window and just do it quietly.

rhosyn_du
May 3rd, 2015, 06:18 PM
Audiobooks or podcasts

Seeshami
May 3rd, 2015, 06:34 PM
Or you do it while I'm driving. lol.

I tend to listen to music or sit outside/near a window and just do it quietly.

Once a year yeah

kidari
May 3rd, 2015, 06:35 PM
I do them randomly when I find myself waiting in the car. S&D's are never planned since I hate doing them and would rather just trim. I have time to kill and the sunlight coming into the car helps me to find white dots and splits the best. I usually have some music or a video going on my phone or in the car.

Wildcat Diva
May 3rd, 2015, 07:30 PM
I sit it the car in the driveway with good sunlight for hours and and zone out while my three sons fight with each other inside the house.

I guess I should have something else to do added to it huh?

curlylocks85
May 3rd, 2015, 07:40 PM
As one who regularly engages in the search and destroy method, I got to wondering what the other LCHers here have in the background while hunting for damaged strands.
For example, I listen to a gaming group podcast (Creature Talk) while S&Ding once a week.
Or, it will be sitting with my boyfriend in the living room while he watches anime.
Also I do quick checks and get a few strands in between tasks while playing Minecraft.

What are you all up to when you S&D?

I do it, after my son is asleep, while either watching television or a movie, or while waiting in the lobby for an appointment, or while watching my son play on the playground.

RavennaNight
May 3rd, 2015, 08:02 PM
I just slowly grow crosseyed.

Dixie_Amazon
May 3rd, 2015, 08:04 PM
Yesterday morning I did it on the patio with coffee to drink between sections.

hinabelle
May 3rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
I find it very hard to concentrate while S&Ding because I have unsteady hands and I don't
want to make any mistakes. I usually just listen to some music and zone out when I have
free time (which hasn't been recently...).

Carolyn
May 3rd, 2015, 09:04 PM
I have my laptop in my lap as I sit cross legged on my couch. My TV is always on and I can glance from TV to computer screen as I S & D. I haven't had that much to S & D for a couple of years since I've gone back to waist length range.

Brileeka
May 3rd, 2015, 11:41 PM
Watch tv. I usually just turn on a movie or show I've already seen a million times and still enjoy watching. I usually don't turn on something I haven't seen before because I usually am paying most of my attention to my hair and don't wanna feel like I've missed something.

Lolino
May 4th, 2015, 03:05 AM
I don't usually do sessions, it's more absent mindedly picking through my braid tassels and along the braids while watching something on the computer or TV. If I see something, it gets cut.

fairylover46
May 4th, 2015, 06:05 AM
I put in a Walking Dead DVD from a few seasons back that I've seen several times. I s&d during the talking parts, watch the cool zombie fighting scenes, then go back to s&d when talking part comes back on. I do it under lamplight with one of those magnifiers on a stand used for crafting tiny stuff.

tigress86
May 4th, 2015, 06:09 AM
I usually sit in the sunlight next to a window and listen to some music while I S&D.

Hairkay
May 4th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Recline, watch a dvd or a clip online whilst I check the ends of my plaits/braids for split ends sticking out.

RainbowBowser
May 4th, 2015, 11:38 AM
I sit it the car in the driveway with good sunlight for hours and and zone out while my three sons fight with each other inside the house.

I guess I should have something else to do added to it huh?

Nah, if peace and quiet is how you roll thats no big deal.

Marika
May 4th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I do nothing. S&D is sort of a meditation for me :meditate:

Ephemia
May 4th, 2015, 03:31 PM
I don't do anything either. I like to focus my attention on my hair so I don't cut anything that doesn't need to go. I find it quite relaxing to just get lost in my thoughts while I examine my hair. S and D's surprisingly therapeutic!

Zesty
May 4th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Browse the LHC, of course! :eyebrows:

But really, the light-colored backdrop is good for spotting splits, and I read threads in between sections. Sometimes I'll put on YouTube and watch some hair videos at the same time. I'm not super serious about S&D yet though; sometimes I find one split but usually nothing, or just a bent end or something like that. When I get some real length I might make it more of a priority.

curlylocks85
May 9th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I also go to a public pond, with the river right next to it, and sit at a bench or picnic table and S&D while listening to the river rush by. I enjoy this activity very much. :joy:

Alex Lou
May 11th, 2015, 11:24 AM
I S&D during raid (World of Warcraft) any time I'm waiting around like when we're regrouping after a wipe or if my team is still fighting but I'm hugging the floor. Having my hair backlit by the screen actually seems to be the best way to spot the damaged areas which appear not just as white dots but as white areas. shudder:

j88
May 12th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I also do nothing else. I go to the bathroom where there is horrible light, the type that you can spot splits in, and there are many! I have to little hair on the hemline that it takes just 5-10 minutes for all of it. I seriously think I could count every strand in a quite short while :D

j88
May 12th, 2015, 04:40 PM
..aaand I love doing it! It's relaxing and so satisfying :D Feels like you're "pure" again :D

casiopeia
May 13th, 2015, 08:36 AM
I listen to conspiracy documentaries on YouTube :D .