PDA

View Full Version : Stress-induced shedding: help??

Princess_Anna
May 3rd, 2015, 02:44 PM
Hi all!
So I have big exams coming up, starting this week, along with a lot of important violin competitions and concerts, and I've noticed a dramatic increase in general hair shedding. I don't do a formal count of how much I shed daily, but in the shower or brushing, or even just when I run my hands through my hair, I've noticed a big increase. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to reduce this (if it's possible!), or if I just have to wait it out (exams end in two months)?
Thank you!!

pamrlyn
May 3rd, 2015, 02:53 PM
Hi Anna

such a stressful time for you! when I saw stress induced shedding - immediately thought of my dogs. It's a very real thing. At the vet, they shed like crazy!

what I recommend to them, is to take time to be still & breathe. like meditation - or yoga, or whatever works for you. watch fish? be in the moment & leave all stressful thoughts alone for that moment. put them in a box. then when you have taken a breath & are ready, you can open the box.

also, having a plan & organizing yourself, help to reduce stress. certain amount of time for study, check it off the list. then go look at pictures of kittens.

puppies do not listen to this advice very well. also pictures of kittens do not really work for them :D

Princess_Anna
May 3rd, 2015, 03:08 PM
Haha! Thank you, I'll try this :). I do tend to want to work all the time which probably isn't that great. Hmmm, I might give yoga a go. And kitten pictures <3. Thank you again!

Nique1202
May 3rd, 2015, 03:37 PM
You might have some luck with scalp massage or caffeine rinses, but de-stressing and taking time for self-care is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. Set aside a block of time (10 minutes, 20, 30, however long you can spare) every day to do something healthy and happy just for yourself, be it reading a chapter of a guilty-pleasure book, cooking yourself a favourite meal, meditating, yoga/stretching, or even having a scented bath if you have a little extra time on a given day.

ExpectoPatronum
May 3rd, 2015, 03:45 PM
I'm going through the same thing. I ended up stressing myself to the point where I kinda...broke a little.

I decided to take today off and do some self-care. Eat crappy food. Watch Netflix. You might want to consider one last day to recharge before the sprint to finals week! Even an afternoon of doing nothing can be immensely helpful. If you're more of an extrovert, see if a friend wants to go out and do something fun for a day.

If you can, try to exercise a little. Go for a walk outside. Just moving and getting some fresh air works wonders in reducing stress levels.

If you don't have a load of time, a nice hot shower feels nice and takes my stress down.

Take care! And good luck!

gwenalyn
May 3rd, 2015, 04:33 PM
Remember that as your hair grows, the shedding starts to look more and more extreme. About two months ago I suddenly noticed all the shed hairs all over the place even though they've been gradually increasing in length for years.

Princess_Anna
May 6th, 2015, 02:13 PM
You might have some luck with scalp massage or caffeine rinses, but de-stressing and taking time for self-care is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. Set aside a block of time (10 minutes, 20, 30, however long you can spare) every day to do something healthy and happy just for yourself, be it reading a chapter of a guilty-pleasure book, cooking yourself a favourite meal, meditating, yoga/stretching, or even having a scented bath if you have a little extra time on a given day.

I've noticed caffeine rinses mentioned in this forum a lot, is it really just as simple as pouring tea or coffee over your head a few times? I've started doing some yoga in the evenings, I do feel more relaxed but it takes me a while to get into it. I'll persevere though!
I'm going through the same thing. I ended up stressing myself to the point where I kinda...broke a little.

I decided to take today off and do some self-care. Eat crappy food. Watch Netflix. You might want to consider one last day to recharge before the sprint to finals week! Even an afternoon of doing nothing can be immensely helpful. If you're more of an extrovert, see if a friend wants to go out and do something fun for a day.

If you can, try to exercise a little. Go for a walk outside. Just moving and getting some fresh air works wonders in reducing stress levels.

If you don't have a load of time, a nice hot shower feels nice and takes my stress down.

Take care! And good luck!

I have a skipping rope with me here which I've just remembered about, thanks! And the idea of a day off sounds amazing! Hope you're doing ok :love:

Remember that as your hair grows, the shedding starts to look more and more extreme. About two months ago I suddenly noticed all the shed hairs all over the place even though they've been gradually increasing in length for years.

Hmmm, I guess it could be. Thing is though, I've had waist+ length hair all my life. But maybe I've just not noticed, I am a bit scatterbrained like that :confused:

I've just got out the shower, and I've shed probably close to twice what I'd normally lose… Thank you everyone for your help, I'll keep going with these and hope it gets better :(