PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk towels: what do you use to dry your hair?

divinedobbie
May 3rd, 2015, 02:17 PM
Hello everyone :waving:

I have always just used the same towel for my hair as I use for my body, which generally isn't the softest and gentlest. I bought a microfiber turbie once but it was small, didn't absorb well and frustrating to dry my hair with. Today I was trying on a dress and I found a big rip in it, now this dress is super soft and silky (95% cotton, 5% elastin) and a good size, so I've been eyeing it up for drying my hair.

So tell me, what kind of towel/cloth do you use to dry your hair?

Nadine <3
May 3rd, 2015, 02:21 PM
I bought four good sized microfiber clothes from the automotive section (the ones for polishing cars) at the dollar store and sewed them together to make a hair towel. It's very absorbent and super soft. Before that I was using a large t shirt.

Seventy7
May 3rd, 2015, 02:33 PM
I still use a normal towel. One day I'll probably bump into a nice t-shirt or microfiber towel and then I'll make the switch.
Untill then, I will use what I have.

Good question! I'm curious to all the answers. Maybe some one has an option I haven't considered before.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 02:46 PM
Used to use a terry cloth turbie, then switched to a microfiber turbie. When those became too small, switched to a large terry cloth beach towel (sewn in half to mimic a turbie). I see no difference in frizz between the terry cloth and the microfiber. :shrug: Maybe it's because I moisturize my hair to a very high degree using all the things in my signature. ;)

Arctic
May 3rd, 2015, 02:48 PM
Old, very soft cotton t-shirts, mens size. This is so much nicer than towels, I haven't looked back since I started this years ago!

Larki
May 3rd, 2015, 02:49 PM
I use an Aquis flat weave microfiber towel usually, but the last few months I've used just a normal towel because I left my Aquis one at home by accident. There's no difference between them, drying-wise - I leave my hair wrapped up for five minutes while I get dressed, and when I unwrap the towel, my hair's about 90% dry. I just prefer the Aquis one because it's properly sized for sitting on top of my head. :p It's not heavy or unwieldy like the normal towel is.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 02:51 PM
I use an Aquis flat weave microfiber towel usually, but the last few months I've used just a normal towel because I left my Aquis one at home by accident. There's no difference between them, drying-wise - I leave my hair wrapped up for five minutes while I get dressed, and when I unwrap the towel, my hair's about 90% dry. I just prefer the Aquis one because it's properly sized for sitting on top of my head. :p It's not heavy or unwieldy like the normal towel is.

90% dry after 5 min.? OMG. I leave my towels (any towels, terry cloth, microfiber... doesn't matter) on for 15 to 20 min. and after that all the wetness is out yes, but I can only dream of 90% dry!

Larki
May 3rd, 2015, 02:54 PM
90% dry after 5 min.? OMG. I leave my towels (any towels, terry cloth, microfiber... doesn't matter) on for 15 to 20 min. and after that all the wetness is out yes, but I can only dream of 90% dry!
Yeah, I think it's just one of the very few pros of super fine hair. ;) It doesn't hold water very well.

woodswanderer
May 3rd, 2015, 02:58 PM
Hrmmm...am I the only weirdo that doesn't use a towel for my hair? I gently squeeze the water out with my hands(no twisting) and just let it air dry with finger combing. When more water works it's way down to the ends, I squeeze it out gently again. Maybe I should try this towel stuff of which you speak...;)

*I did use Turbie towels back in high school, but I sort of gave up after my length became inconvenient for them.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 03:11 PM
*I did use Turbie towels back in high school, but I sort of gave up after my length became inconvenient for them.

I outgrew my turbie recently (2/3 inches off of classic), and my mom sewed a beach towel lengthwise for me, sewed one end shut, so it is in fact like a turbie towel. The other end was left open, so the towel is just twisted along the length then flipped over the head. It's an awesome solution!

ExpectoPatronum
May 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
I use a microfiber towel to scrunch out extra water after I apply my styling products. I'll use a cotton T-shirt if I can't find the towel for whatever reason, or if it needs to be washed.

LadyLorien
May 3rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
Hrmmm...am I the only weirdo that doesn't use a towel for my hair? I gently squeeze the water out with my hands(no twisting) and just let it air dry with finger combing. When more water works it's way down to the ends, I squeeze it out gently again. Maybe I should try this towel stuff of which you speak...;)

Hahaha it's not just you, I don't towel dry my hair either. I gently push my hair between my palms down my hair to get the water out and then I just leave an old t-shirt over my shoulders while it dries.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 03:55 PM
Hahaha it's not just you, I don't towel dry my hair either. I gently push my hair between my palms down my hair to get the water out and then I just leave an old t-shirt over my shoulders while it dries.

Doesn't it take a long time, though, to fully dry from being that wet?

Wildcat Diva
May 3rd, 2015, 04:04 PM
If I don't do anything, it DOES take a while to dry.

I got an aquis towel on Nightshade's rec, and I scrunch and press that onto my curls a few times. It works great.

missblueeyes
May 3rd, 2015, 04:09 PM
I use whatever is around. Might be a small towel I washed my face with earlier, might be a big one, might be the t-shirt I wore to bed that I changed out of to shower... :lol:
Whatever I use, I usually do a backwards turban so my hair doesn't tangle terribly from flipping it over.

butter52
May 3rd, 2015, 04:10 PM
I use the same towel i dry my body with, I have a normal one and a micofiber one. Cant see any difference in frizz or anything.

gwenalyn
May 3rd, 2015, 04:26 PM
I just use any old towel just to keep the wet hair out of the way while I dress and moisturize and all that good post-shower stuff, then unwrap and airdry. Supposedly t-shirts/microfiber are better than my old regular towels, but unless you're actually manipulating the hair (towel drying) I can't imagine it makes a difference.

LadyLorien
May 3rd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Doesn't it take a long time, though, to fully dry from being that wet?

Not at all, :o but I definitely do not have as thick of hair as a lot of the ladies/men here, so I may just be a bit more fortunate as far as drying time goes. I also do not shower in the morning because I do not like going out with damp/wet hair. If I did shower early and then went out in front of society's scrutinous eye, I imagine I may be more inclined to find a faster way to dry my hair off.

Crystawni
May 3rd, 2015, 04:35 PM
I give my hair a bit of a once-over with my body towel (one of those nice, big bath sheets) before hitting my body with it. Then I plop my hair in a microfibre turbie towel for about 15-20 mins, although even after this I still have dripping-wet ends that I smoosh and blot periodically with the turbie until no more drippness.

ETA: Before using the towel, I gently squeeze out the excess water. And as for the turbie twist, I guess I use that wrong. :p It's too short to twist my whole length into, thus the plopping (kinda smooshing to my head) of hair, then I twist the turbie and secure it without the hair inside the twist bit. It just holds my hair out of the way more than anything. and keeps the wavies happening in their natural state.

Zesty
May 3rd, 2015, 04:50 PM
I use a turbie twist. Right now length is a non-issue, but when I had TBL hair I used Cinnamon Hair's method for getting long hair into a turbie. (Loosely twist at the nape of the neck and flip length over head, then fold over any excess length in the "tail" of the turbie twist.) I leave it on 10-15 minutes. Hair is still wet but no longer drips when I take it off, which is the goal. It's a big improvement in convenience over trying to use a regular towel like I did before.

Arwenlily
May 3rd, 2015, 05:07 PM
I outgrew my turbie recently (2/3 inches off of classic), and my mom sewed a beach towel lengthwise for me, sewed one end shut, so it is in fact like a turbie towel. The other end was left open, so the towel is just twisted along the length then flipped over the head. It's an awesome solution!

That must feel awesome to outgrow a turbie twist! How did you know when you outgrew it? That might sound like a silly question, but I'm curious if it is only because all of the hair doesn't fit in there.

I tried using turbie twists and unfortunately I didn't like them. They soaked up the moisture out of my hair which would result in unmanageable frizz. Now I just plop my hair into an old tshirt, wrap it up and leave it for about 30 minutes and air dry it for the rest of the time. This way, it usually takes about 2-3 hours for my hair to dry fully.

trolleypup
May 3rd, 2015, 05:13 PM
Bath sheet sized cheap microfiber towel more or less turbaned for 15-20 minutes, then air dry...usually get a few drips, but not bad.

LauraLongLocks
May 3rd, 2015, 05:31 PM
I use two turbie twists. I have hair longer than the turbie towel, so I just fold my hair up so that it fits. I put the first turbie on right out of the shower before I grab my towel to dry off my body. After I am fully dressed, I switch to my second turbie twist and wear it while I brush teeth, put contact lenses in, moisturize my face, etc. Then I take off my second turbie twist and get to work on drying my hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2015, 05:35 PM
I use a very large "towel" made of doubled T-shirt fabric cleverly and kindly made for me by an LHCer who understands long hair drying problems. I just wrap it in that for 20 minutes or so, then it air dries from then onwards, takes another 4 or more hours, can be 8 or more on a cold winter day. But I love my hair towel and wouldn't be without it.... I could use a hair dryer but I am not a fan of those really.

meteor
May 3rd, 2015, 06:31 PM
I don't use a towel... My hair is way too heavy when wet and it doesn't fit in any towels, so I like to leave it loose.
I just squeeze out as much water as I can with my hands and then my hair drip-dries (I wear it loose with a T-shirt over my shoulders and back).

hinabelle
May 3rd, 2015, 06:53 PM
I like using a T-shirt. :D

endlessly
May 3rd, 2015, 07:01 PM
Typically, I just use basic towels, there's absolutely nothing special about them except that I purchased them on clearance ages ago for a significant price drop. I tried the 'turbie towel' I'd seen advertised on T.V., but it didn't do anything so absorb excess water and left my hair damp hours later. I've also tried just a plain cotton t-shirt with the same results. Thankfully, my hair doesn't take long to dry once I comb it, so my ancient towels can't cause too much damage.

cat11
May 3rd, 2015, 08:01 PM
I use a t shirt and then a turbie twist! Actually two turbie twists lol one and then the other for quicker drying for my rediculously slow hair

curlylocks85
May 3rd, 2015, 08:08 PM
Hello everyone :waving:

I have always just used the same towel for my hair as I use for my body, which generally isn't the softest and gentlest. I bought a microfiber turbie once but it was small, didn't absorb well and frustrating to dry my hair with. Today I was trying on a dress and I found a big rip in it, now this dress is super soft and silky (95% cotton, 5% elastin) and a good size, so I've been eyeing it up for drying my hair.

So tell me, what kind of towel/cloth do you use to dry your hair?

I wish I could help, but I air dry and do not use a towel or any other material to dry my hair.

Carolyn
May 3rd, 2015, 09:14 PM
I have 3 of my sons baby bath towels. 33 years old! They are so soft and absorbent. I came across them a few years ago when I was sorting out my sons infant clothes I had saved. My mom bought his layette and the towels were part of it so I like being able to use them. They are Carters brand and have a sewn on bias edge. Really nice. My other favorite hair towels are some cheap, lightweight bath towels I bought at K-Mart a few years ago. They are a thinner terrycloth so they wrap nicely on my head. I was never all that impressed with the microfiber towels. My hair doesn't frizz so I don't have to worry about that.

EdG
May 3rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
I let my hair air-dry. At most, I will blot it a little with a cotton towel.

Cotton towels are a source of lint, so I keep them away from my hair.
Ed

Ilenora
May 3rd, 2015, 10:10 PM
I use a big cotton towel, the same one I use to dry my body - it's about the same size as a beach towel and very fluffy and soft. They are expensive towels. However they are also thick and heavy; combined with the weight and length of my wet hair, I find it impossible to do a turbie. It's incredibly heavy on my head and usually untwists and/or just falls off the side. So usually I blot and squeeze the hair gently until it's mostly stopped dripping. Then it takes 2+ hours to dry, depending on how hot the weather is and whether I go out in the sun or not. Sometimes in cold weather, and if I shower in the evening, it's still slightly damp in the morning.

Liante
May 4th, 2015, 12:38 AM
I've used a t-shirt for my hair since I was little. Don't actually know where I picked that up. I've used a cotton towel a few times and ended up spending way too long trying to get the fluff out of my hair.

Doreen
May 4th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Honestly, I'm lazy and just use the same fluffy cotton towel that I use on my body. I squeeze most of the water out first and wrap it in the towel, which serves more to keep it from dripping everywhere than to actually dry it.

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 02:48 AM
That must feel awesome to outgrow a turbie twist! How did you know when you outgrew it? That might sound like a silly question, but I'm curious if it is only because all of the hair doesn't fit in there.

Couldn't fold it up more than it was already folded, and couldn't use Cinnamon's trick of folding as it wouldn't get the wetness out as well.

Lolino
May 4th, 2015, 03:00 AM
I use a normal towel, just a smaller and thinner one compared to the one I use for the body. Just squeeze out most of the water, wrap it up and leave it there while I get my clothes on, by then it's usually dry enough that it doesn't drip all over me. After that I just let it air-dry, sometimes with the towel over my shoulders if I'm not doing much.

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 03:46 AM
Every minute longer that you can keep a towel, t-shirt, on, the better, even if it means switching it out for a new one. It really does get your hair dry a lot. I leave mine on for 15-20 min. Preferably 20. Mine had to be taken down after 15 min. this weekend and I noticed the difference with the extra 5 min. that I usually get!

missblueeyes
May 4th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Every minute longer that you can keep a towel, t-shirt, on, the better, even if it means switching it out for a new one. It really does get your hair dry a lot. I leave mine on for 15-20 min. Preferably 20. Mine had to be taken down after 15 min. this weekend and I noticed the difference with the extra 5 min. that I usually get!

Exactly! It makes such a big difference if my hair is only damp or if the ends are still soaking wet. Plus, more time spent in the towel / shirt means less hygral fatigue in the long run. :)

restless
May 4th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Just a normal towel, the same one I use for my body. A couple of years ago I tried the t-shirt idea, but I wasnt too impressed as it didnt seem to soak up the water very well. My hair was still too damp for my liking after using it and thus I returned to the normal towel. Ive been planning to get a microfiber towel because Im curious about them, but I havent gotten around to buy one yet.

Ilenora
May 4th, 2015, 04:31 AM
Does the towel need to be thin to do a turbie? That might be the issue I have... the towel is too thick.

Nebulae
May 4th, 2015, 04:37 AM
I use a microfiber turbie "backwards"... so instead of following the instructions and flipping my hair over, I drape it over my hair and start twisting at the nape and fold it up. I do this to avoid tangles. The ends that don't fit in the towel I wrap around my fingers and stick inside the towel then button it up. I leave it on while drying and mosturising the rest of me.. it's such a relief to be able to move freely without worrying that the towel on my head will fall off! After the turbie I squeeze and scrunch my hair with a soft and absorbent t-shirt then air dry (or blow dry gently if I need to get it dry faster).

Hairkay
May 4th, 2015, 04:39 AM
I used to use a regular towel but I changed to old 100% cotton t-shirts last year. I got fed up of finding hair caught in the towel and hearing hair snap off when I try to remove the towel. The tugging sometimes hurt too. Now I don't have that.

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 05:13 AM
Does the towel need to be thin to do a turbie? That might be the issue I have... the towel is too thick.

You just buy one. ;)

Or, do you mean, to make one out of a beach towel? Mine are new beach towels, but quite thin.

Nique1202
May 4th, 2015, 05:41 AM
I do an initial gentle twist-and-squeeze in a bath towel when I first get out of the shower, but I need to blow-dry my fringe quickly or it starts drying into my cowlick shape because it's right on my front hairline, and after that I can't put a towel over it or I'll affect the fringe, so my hair still ends up nearly-dripping once the rest of the water up top starts falling down to the ends. At that point it takes about 3-4 hours to stop feeling damp. I could probably speed it up in various ways but I'm in no time crunch right now so why bother?

Hurven
May 4th, 2015, 07:41 AM
I use a large cotton t-shirt. But today, for some reason I still can't figure out, I used a normal towel. Never again! It made my hair incredibly frizzy and let's not even talk about how it made my ends look! :bigeyes:

elea
May 4th, 2015, 08:21 AM
I use a microfibre towel and it has really shortened the time my hair takes to dry.

browneyedsusan
May 4th, 2015, 08:22 AM
A t-shirt.
If it's good enough for Torrin Paige, it's good enough for me. :)

embee
May 4th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Usually I'm NW/SO but in summer I am sometimes WO. Years ago (on the old board) DrBlue (a former(?) member) did a group order of microfiber dog-bath towels. Big ones. I joined in and got me a microfiber "big dog size" towel. It's still going strong! :) It's thin so I can wrap my hair nicely.

I agree that thick towels, while nice and fluffy feeling, are way too much for long hair drying. Too much towel, too much wet weight, just too much cloth altogether.

CRX<3
May 4th, 2015, 10:04 AM
I use 95% cotton 5% elastan jersey I bought from the fabric store, It got a pretty flower/jungle print and I can make really nice turbans with it that stay put! cost me about 8$ for making ( just cutting it in half) two nice "towels" :D . They make my hair less frizzy than ordinary terry cloth towels!

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I use 95% cotton 5% elastan jersey I bought from the fabric store, It got a pretty flower/jungle print and I can make really nice turbans with it that stay put! cost me about 8$ for making ( just cutting it in half) two nice "towels" :D . They make my hair less frizzy than ordinary terry cloth towels!

Don't you get lint from where you cut them (the fraying?) or did you seal them with a lockstitch?

renia22
May 4th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I bought a microfiber towel by "Diva darlings" and really like it. Not too big, not too small, absorbs well..

catasa
May 4th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Old cotton t-shirt, men´s size. I don´t flip my hair over but drape the t-shirt over my shoulders, lif the bottom part up to the brow and fold my lengths up into the t-shirt body, fasten by tying the t-shirt arms on the top of my head. I would actually prefer to let hair drip dry completely, but folding it up allows me to apply body lotion without getting it on the hair and without cold dripping interfering *shudder*, and it also cuts down on drying time somewhat. I only keep it in the t-shirt for about five minutes usually though so it still drips a bit after coming out.

sarahthegemini
May 4th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I don't use towels on my hair. I just squeeze my hair with my hand a few times to get rip of the excess dripping and then leave it alone. I hated microfibre towels, made my hair frizzy.

Grond
May 4th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I use some bamboo towels, i bought them for my hair only but they are just so soft, after a while i replaced every regular towel in the house.

Marika
May 4th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I'm a squeezer too, no towels here :) If I used a towel to dry my hair, I would use just a regular towel because I'm lazy like that :p T-shirt would probably work well. I have a couple of jersey pillowcases and my hair seems to like them best.

ositarosita
May 4th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I use microfiber turby twists, i leave them in for 10-15 mins then I let my hair finish air drying. I'm not even BSL yet (almost) so I have about another year or so before I out grow it so I have 2 larger ones for when I do.

CRX<3
May 4th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Don't you get lint from where you cut them (the fraying?) or did you seal them with a lockstitch?

I just pull the fabric in the stretch direction after cutting it, ( I cut so the fabric stretch on the broadside ) and the edges curl up and hide the raw edge, super easy! :)

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 01:53 PM
I just pull the fabric in the stretch direction after cutting it, ( I cut so the fabric stretch on the broadside ) and the edges curl up and hide the raw edge, super easy! :)

Oooh, thanks for explaining that!

meteor
May 4th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Marika, Nique1202, LadyLorien, woodswanderer and all other fellow "hair-squeezers" :) : does anybody know if squeezing water out of hair can be damaging?
I do this all the time, but I've always wondered how hair-friendly this practice is. I'm guessing twisting might be causing too much tension, so I don't do it, but squeezing out water with hands, is it completely non-damaging? :)

Nique1202
May 4th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Marika, Nique1202, LadyLorien, woodswanderer and all other fellow "hair-squeezers" :) : does anybody know if squeezing water out of hair can be damaging?
I do this all the time, but I've always wondered how hair-friendly this practice is. I'm guessing twisting might be causing too much tension, so I don't do it, but squeezing out water with hands, is it completely non-damaging? :)

I'd call squeezing the water out about on par with twisting it into a turbie or a bun while wet. I mean, I'm not wringing my hair out like a cloth inside the towel, just twisting it until I feel a bit of resistance to squeeze some of the dripping-wetness out to start. I guess if someone squeezes harder then it could be more damaging, but at that point it's (pun intended) splitting hairs to say what's more or less bad.

Rapunzel_to_be
May 4th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I used to use a regular towel up until a few weeks ago, now I'm using a cotton t shirt :)

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Depends on how you squeeze. If you wring it out like a rag, then NO! Don't! Gently putting your hands around the hair and squeezing along the lengths, fine. Perfectly fine.

missrandie
May 4th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I used to have a microfiber diva turbie when my hair was long, bit I wore it out. Then, while in super short pixie mode, I just scurffed my head with my microfiber body towel. The other day I re-bought a turbie, this one being Aquis, and I love it! I have missed hair turbans. They have always been able to take my hair from fresh squeezed but dripping all the way down to damp. I would say about 80% dry at least.

meteor
May 4th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Depends on how you squeeze. If you wring it out like a rag, then NO! Don't! Gently putting your hands around the hair and squeezing along the lengths, fine. Perfectly fine.

^ Thank you very much, lapushka! :flower: That makes sense! :D

Ephemia
May 4th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I hardly dry my hair at all. I give it a brief squeeze with my hands, and maybe another with the towel later if the dripping really annoys me, but other than that I just comb it and let the air take care of the rest.

Agnes Hannah
May 4th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I squeeze but I don't wring. Then up in a tubie towel for about 15-20 mins, at this point I take the tubie off and let it dry naturally.

cathair
May 4th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I use/used a t-shirt. I put my head through the hole and pull the t-shirt up to my hairline. Then dangle the whole lot downwards so my hair is inside the t-shirt, then stand up and fold the t-shirt up on top of my head and pat my hair dry. But it doesn't work very well any more, because my hair somehow got longer than the t-shirt.

So now I just sort of pat and scrunch it with a t-shirt. My hair doesn't care, it dries very quickly anyway.

lapushka
May 4th, 2015, 04:06 PM
She actually sells beach towel sized t-shirt towels:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HairRePear

Wanted to buy one, but she doesn't take PP apparently...

cathair
May 4th, 2015, 04:25 PM
She actually sells beach towel sized t-shirt towels:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HairRePear

Wanted to buy one, but she doesn't take PP apparently...

Thanks for the link :flower: They're not stupidly expensive, but I reckon I could knock one up for very little money and they would be quite simple to make. I should try doing that at some point :)

gwenalyn
May 4th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Typically, I just use basic towels, there's absolutely nothing special about them except that I purchased them on clearance ages ago for a significant price drop.

A woman after my own heart :D

Crystawni
May 4th, 2015, 04:46 PM
After reading the replies here, I realised I've been using the turbie twist wrong (added that to my first post quoted below). I think that happened early on when my hair didn't all fit... Anyway, I just tried twisting all my hair into the turbie (the ends hung out), and got a good result with heaps better drying and not too much wave interruption (tis a little straighter in parts, though). The ends were all dripped out, too (dripped onto turbie). I haz a happy! :D

I give my hair a bit of a once-over with my body towel (one of those nice, big bath sheets) before hitting my body with it. Then I plop my hair in a microfibre turbie towel for about 15-20 mins, although even after this I still have dripping-wet ends that I smoosh and blot periodically with the turbie until no more drippness.

ETA: Before using the towel, I gently squeeze out the excess water. And as for the turbie twist, I guess I use that wrong. :p It's too short to twist my whole length into, thus the plopping (kinda smooshing to my head) of hair, then I twist the turbie and secure it without the hair inside the twist bit. It just holds my hair out of the way more than anything. and keeps the wavies happening in their natural state.

Carolyn
May 4th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Does the towel need to be thin to do a turbie? That might be the issue I have... the towel is too thick.That's why I love the baby bath towels I mentioned in my post.

meteor
May 4th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I squeeze but I don't wring. Then up in a tubie towel for about 15-20 mins, at this point I take the tubie off and let it dry naturally.

Thank you, Agnes Hannah! :D

I use/used a t-shirt. I put my head through the hole and pull the t-shirt up to my hairline. Then dangle the whole lot downwards so my hair is inside the t-shirt, then stand up and fold the t-shirt up on top of my head and pat my hair dry. But it doesn't work very well any more, because my hair somehow got longer than the t-shirt.

Cathair, if your hair outgrew the T-shirt, you could experiment with sewing 2 extra large t-shirts together by the bottom openings to make it twice as long. I think Torrinpaige mentioned how she did it somewhere on her channel... something to look into. :)

RavennaNight
May 4th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Old, very soft cotton t-shirts, mens size. This is so much nicer than towels, I haven't looked back since I started this years ago!

Yes. I do this as well. An old, large t-shirt is so soft.

Swan Maiden
May 4th, 2015, 06:39 PM
What about a king sized t shirt fabric pillowcase? I have an extra one I will try it out next time I wash.

Ilenora
May 4th, 2015, 06:40 PM
You just buy one. ;)

Or, do you mean, to make one out of a beach towel? Mine are new beach towels, but quite thin.

Sorry, yeah, I mean making your own turbie. I don't think all my hair would fit in an actual turbie.

NikitaRM
May 7th, 2015, 12:54 PM
I use soft cotton T-shirts to dry my hair. Never towels! Makes my hair frizzy.

chen bao jun
May 7th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I yard cotton t shirt type fabric I bought at joanns. Just have them cut off a giant piece, take it home and use it, it won't ravel, doesn't need hemm ing or anything. Knit cotton fabric is 60 inches wide so it's huge and it's also cheap, I paid 5.99 for one yard.

jeanniet
May 7th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Flour sack towels--cheap, and they actually work even better than t-shirts for me (easier to wrap, less frizz).

yahirwaO.o
May 7th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Well.... Im a total case apart. I dont use anything.....

I go straight out of the shower and put a T shirt or whatever but I dont even own a towel heck not even for my body. Its a habit I developed when I couldnt stand high heat and moisturize myself several times a day in my teens and dont live in a very hot place. Somehow ¨enjoy being wet and feeling fresh ¨and let all myself airdry all the time.

This also goes with the fact I take cold showers all the time, even in winter (again not that radical in my area).... I just dont like hot things that much LOL.- In hair terms I notice that it dries shiny smoth with no frizz whatsoever. :cool:

MoonMaiden
May 9th, 2015, 11:04 AM
I prefer using old t shirts they are very soft and not hard on the hair at all :)