PDA

View Full Version : how much hair do you lose a day?

ikke1978
May 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
One more question about hair loss.

I am starting to count the hair I lose a day (not very good to do this I know, makes me crazy), but I wonder how much hair do you lose in the morning. When my hair loss was bad I lost about 500 hairs a day. Now I lose about 150 in the morning, about 50 rest of the day.
Before hair loss, I maybe lost 10 hairs a day that I noticed.

So, my hair loss is slowing down, but I am not sure what is normal anymore.

Sorry, i am editing why I lose hair: I have very low ferritin levels and my derm thinks that could be the reason for my hair loss. I am losing hair for 4 years now.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 10:41 AM
Have you gone to the doctor and had bloodwork done yet? Because that amount is not normal. Do you eat properly?

spidermom
May 3rd, 2015, 10:46 AM
Around 100 hairs shed per day is normal. I've never counted and never will. To shed hair is normal, but if it's due to a medical condition, I feel sure I will notice other symptoms and visit my doctor.

endlessly
May 3rd, 2015, 10:56 AM
I guess it depends. On the days that I wash my hair, I typically shed quite a bit more - maybe 20 or so? The other days, between 5-10.

Because of the amount you're shedding, have you gone in to see your doctor just to make sure everything is okay? Typically, 100-150 is normal, but 200 or more is definitely excessive and might be cause for concern.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 12:11 PM
I think the OP should have mentioned what she's mentioned in another thread (iron shortage issues).

ikke1978
May 3rd, 2015, 12:48 PM
yes, I forgot to mention in this post, but derm thinks low ferritin could be a reason for my hair loss. All other tests were fine.

Halliday
May 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
like 30 i think..

woodswanderer
May 3rd, 2015, 03:07 PM
I think you should quit counting hair loss. I imagine it will just stress you worse. I second the idea about getting blood work and hopefully also iron supplements.

I am losing some hair to low iron too, but I don't count the sheds. My doctor put me on an iron pill, but it is a bit hard to take it consistently due to it causing constipation.

ikke1978
May 3rd, 2015, 03:26 PM
I think you should quit counting hair loss. I imagine it will just stress you worse. I second the idea about getting blood work and hopefully also iron supplements.

I am losing some hair to low iron too, but I don't count the sheds. My doctor put me on an iron pill, but it is a bit hard to take it consistently due to it causing constipation.

I am on iron now since last week. Hope it will help. I also have the constipation!! not happy about that. Hopefully some hair will regrow...

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 03:57 PM
I am on iron now since last week. Hope it will help. I also have the constipation!! not happy about that. Hopefully some hair will regrow...

Talk to the doctor about the constipation. Hopefully they will give you a laxative of some sort to alleviate your problems. HTH.

LauraLongLocks
May 3rd, 2015, 04:08 PM
Usually I lose less than ten hairs a day. On wash days, I might lose 15-20.

ikke1978
May 3rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
Usually I lose less than ten hairs a day. On wash days, I might lose 15-20.

Ah, I remember those days....hahahaa... hope one day I will have the same amount you have.

ikke1978
May 3rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
Ah, I remember those days....hahahaa... hope one day I will have the same amount you have.

goof plan... I will, thanks

gwenalyn
May 3rd, 2015, 04:22 PM
I've never counted, but I would estimate ~100 a day. On wash day I literally pull out handfuls :) It's all normal, and I'm not losing thickness.

The shed hairs everywhere are starting to get annoying now that they're long (MBL).

gwenalyn
May 4th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I take it back. This thread made me curious, and since I had my hair in a braid for 48 hours it was a good opportunity to count and be confident I wasn't missing very many hairs. Unbraided, pulled out as many sheds as I could, and then did a good brushing for good measure. All over a white towel so I could see my (dark) hairs.

I counted 35. 18 a day? Ookaaaaay, I think I did something wrong or the length of each shed was *really* fooling me.

Boy, I'm never doing that again. Talk about tedious and boring, and the hairs were hard to see despite the color contrast.

Nadine <3
May 4th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I have no idea. On days I don't wash my hair I loose maybe two hairs when I detangle in the morning, sometimes I don't loose any. Wash days, maybe 15-20 hairs. I had some stress sheds where I was sure I was shedding more (never counted then either but it was hand fulls at every detangle and every wash) but it's settled down and now I hardly loose anything.

oddly enough, even though my shed rate seems so low, I still sometimes find hairballs in my laundry lol

Silverbrumby
May 4th, 2015, 07:00 PM
I take "Iron Food Complex" by New Chapter. No constipation on this formula. It's not as strong as the prescription ones but it works for me.

I was shedding 100 to 200 a day. Now I'm at 20 to 70. I now leave oil off scalp, wash with good shampoo, dermal roll on scalp 3 x a week. Never go too longbetween washes. And i take vitamin D3 every day.

I believe the d3 and dermal roll really helped.

Wusel
May 5th, 2015, 12:35 AM
I've made a thread with a poll about this topic.

Doreen
May 5th, 2015, 12:51 AM
I don't count my hairs, but I would say I am losing a decent palmfull of hair per day. Maybe 50-100 strands?

ikke1978
May 11th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Every hair I lose is one too many now. I really need to stop counting or I will drive myself crazy. Hope correcting my ferritin level will help...Thanks for all your inputs everyone...:)