PDA

View Full Version : Summer Hats☀️

Komao
May 2nd, 2015, 02:08 PM
Have you found your perfect hat(s) to protect your hair & that you love the look of?
Is it wide brimmed, straw, cotton or what material?
If you want please add pics. Any style, gardening, poolside, concerts, festivals. Casual, dressy or just a hat that fits really well for us longhairs.
Have you found one that will cover your bun or do you have to wear a low bun or braid?
Did you find one that's great for rain or shine?
Thanks for your input as searching for a good summer hat. I've worn bandanas and light scarves but now that hair is quite long, would prefer a hat.
I would like one that I could just put on and run out the door. If I'm out for prolonged periods, no worries. If weather should change and get windy or stormy that will stay on your head.

Your suggestions are so welcome. :o

librarychick
May 2nd, 2015, 02:19 PM
I'm watching this with interest! I got myself a HUGE brimmed straw-ish hat last year...but couldn't get it to work with my bun.

I'm going to attempt to use scarves/hats this year while gardening, since I burn and peel like crazy.

LadyLong
May 2nd, 2015, 02:24 PM
KOMAO, the one thing I run out with all the time is my sun visor by Helen Kaminski, Australia. They are very well made and good looking too and therefore highly priced because of the great quality. I do have a collection of hats and wished I could hang them artistically on the wall to create a decoration and when one actually sees the hats it makes you want to reach out to it and put it on more readily. I used to love watching Princess Diana on TV whenever she wore her beautiful hats to go out and of course Queen Elizabeth looking like a proper lady in good style.:king:

woodswanderer
May 2nd, 2015, 02:37 PM
I do have a great sun hat from www.sungrubbies.com, which is a 5 inch brim, and a Luxury Divas sunhat from Amazon with a 7 inch brim. They are both ribbon braid, crushable hats. I just put my hair in a braid to wear them. I don't think I'm out in the sun enough to need to protect my hair too. Even if I'm wrong about that, it is more important to me to protect my face.

embee
May 2nd, 2015, 03:05 PM
I went to the asian market and bought a conical straw oriental hat. It's lasted some years now and was very inexpensive. It covers my hair, face, ears, neck.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2015, 03:17 PM
I barely go out, so I don't really need a hat. :shrug:

gwenalyn
May 2nd, 2015, 03:20 PM
I recently bought a sunhat to protect my skin. I got the size L/XL, and it is so, so big, you guys. There is no way I will ever make a bun that doesn't fit in this hat. In fact, if I don't make a bun, it falls over my eyes ><.

This isn't exactly what I got, because I got it at a closeout sale, but it's pretty close. Same brand: White Sierra. Mine is rated UPF 50 (compared to a cotton t-shirt, which has UPF ~15) and is practical. It folds up in my purse, which I love the most, because if it didn't I would lose it and/or never have it when I need it.

http://www.rei.com/product/867252/white-sierra-kool-brim-hat-special-buy

It's not the most fashionable thing in the world ... a bit mumsy*, really. But if I wear a matching color in the rest of my outfit it stops looking mumsy and looks stylish, so I do that when I need to look good AND protect myself from the sun.

*I learned the word mumsy recently. It's such a great word. I used to just say "Mommish" and "Mom style" but "mumsy" just really encapsulates the concept perfectly. I don't care that I'm not British!

woodswanderer
May 2nd, 2015, 03:47 PM
Since we are on the summer hat topic, do some types of wide brimhats flip up less in the wind than others, like straw hats v.s. fabric hats, etc?

sumidha
May 2nd, 2015, 04:03 PM
I wear one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_conical_hat

I chose that kind specifically because i can wear it over any hairstyle, if I bun it just sits slightly taller, on top of the bun. However my all time favorite hat was one I saw on someone else- it looked like a typical straw sun hat, but above the hat band the top had been cut away so you would be able to wear a bun or whatever hairstyle with it. It sounds kind of strange when I describe it but it looked really really nice, sadly the lady had gotten it at Nordstrom's, so I knew it was way out of my price range.

Xavien_Grey
May 2nd, 2015, 08:56 PM
I wear hats off and on, but i always go back to a straw stetson or trilby in the summer, depending on what im doing. In the winter though my favorite is a wool fedora i picked up in a hatter in Salem, Ma. Ive never had a hat fit as well as that one. Good for formal events too, I more often than not get a smirk if i check it at the coat check in one building, dress doesn't allow hats into the meeting hall. Im one of a handful of guys that wears one anyways while we catch up before heading downstairs.

I will say though that since i started growing my hair out in earnest i've worn it less (more to keep my hair in place on windy days). I got it too keep my head warm... lol

missrandie
May 2nd, 2015, 09:12 PM
I have an olive drab boonie hat my husband got me... It is my fishing/hunting/rifle competition/outside all day hat. I love that I can abuse it and it will always look the same. Definitely not stylish by any means, but the quintessential functional hat.

Arctic
May 3rd, 2015, 04:02 AM
I need to buy somekind of hat this summer, I love fedora and trilby styles the most.

Komao, how did you put the yellow sun in the title?

Komao
May 3rd, 2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks so much for all the great ideas. Keep em coming. Checking out all the links so that's keeping me busy.

Arctic, on my device I have IOS 8.3 & they've improved the Emoji and now I can insert wherever. 

Edited to say, I guess not wherever. Just as writing this I previewed message and emoction was there but when submitting it went away.
I don't know how it stayed in creating thread. Will try again, here. 

Komao
May 3rd, 2015, 10:20 AM
Hi, hope you're having fun. 

I guess for me, it will only work when creating a new thread? :confused:

Testing screen shot of creating new thread.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/louiegpic/C5C28936-BED5-4B69-886D-348631DE5B96_zpshlpzjr8f.jpg (http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/louiegpic/media/C5C28936-BED5-4B69-886D-348631DE5B96_zpshlpzjr8f.jpg.html)

Didn't come out to clear here but my images were preserved for creating a thread. Done testing for now, have to find my summer hat!

browneyedsusan
May 4th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Ooh! great idea for a thread! I'm toying with the idea of getting a jeep--so I can take the doors off in the summer--and a hat would keep my wispies settled during my commute.
Also, my BFF is just finishing her chemo, and would love a bunch of summer hats to wear while her hair grows back.
Subbing! :eye:

meteor
May 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM
My bun doesn't fit under the hats I've tried, so I go for a low bun and brim that's wide enough to cover it a bit.

gwenalyn
May 5th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Since we are on the summer hat topic, do some types of wide brimhats flip up less in the wind than others, like straw hats v.s. fabric hats, etc?

I would love to know the answer to this!

cat11
May 5th, 2015, 10:10 PM
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-2015-women-s-hat-1pc-sun-caps-straw-hat-floppy-hat-for-summer-beach-cap/32315899602.html

I want this one, in lavender! It's lovely and I like the idea of protecting my hair and pale face sometimes

mssummerrose
May 6th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Cute!! The link didn't work for me, but I tracked down the company. Why are they so cheep? What is the catch?

hidetheice
May 6th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Looks like one of those Asian companies that sells stuff really cheap. It's questionable quality and sizing from my history with those types of companies. Who knows, could be great though.

Jeleah
May 6th, 2015, 04:41 PM
I've recently fallen in love with these hats...https://www.etsy.com/listing/78499230/cotton-slouchy-newsboy-hat-womens-hat?ref=shop_home_active_19

mermaid lullaby
May 6th, 2015, 10:32 PM
My favorite is just a regular old baseball cap. I don't go out in the sun much.

StarsandFire
May 6th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I just bought this extra wide brim hat and I really love the look of it and plus it's UPF 50+.
http://www.zappos.com/san-diego-hat-company-ubx2535-ultrabraid-xl-brim-sun-hat-toast-2

Unfortunately it leaves my hair crazy matted. Would sewing a silk lining into the hat band help? Any other ideas?

Komao
May 8th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I have an olive drab boonie hat my husband got me... It is my fishing/hunting/rifle competition/outside all day hat. I love that I can abuse it and it will always look the same. Definitely not stylish by any means, but the quintessential functional hat.

Thanks missrandie, I decided this will be my "quintessential functional hat". I was going to order on line but delayed that. Could you tell me if boonie hats run true to size or smaller or larger? I'm going out today to see if I can find the boonie hat to try on & hopefully can purchase at store. If not will get on line. Thanks as I don't mind the look of hat and I need a no fuss one.
Still looking for a more lazy day hat that will protect both hair and skin & have a fun look. Many great suggestions. Keep em coming! 🎩

gwenalyn
May 8th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I just bought this extra wide brim hat and I really love the look of it and plus it's UPF 50+.
http://www.zappos.com/san-diego-hat-company-ubx2535-ultrabraid-xl-brim-sun-hat-toast-2

Unfortunately it leaves my hair crazy matted. Would sewing a silk lining into the hat band help? Any other ideas?

Pretty! Does it fold up well?

I've recently fallen in love with these hats...https://www.etsy.com/listing/78499230/cotton-slouchy-newsboy-hat-womens-hat?ref=shop_home_active_19

So cute. This hat would be perfect for those days I fail at no-heat curling. Doesn't it get hot though?

I've recently decided to get more into hats and this thread is so enabling.

Betazed
May 8th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I use one of my husbands hats. He has over a dozen of field caps from an army surplus store. They say "hot weather field cap" on the inside so I assume it breathes better than other field caps he has. The size is XL an with my hair down it almost covers my eyes. But it contains all my hair nicely either in a bun or just tucked away inside. I practically live in these when we go camping (they do a wonderful job of hiding the greasies!)

Jeleah
May 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM
The hat is made from a lighter cotton yarn, so it isn't very hot, and the style is great for holding long hair on those days you just want to run out and get stuff down without all the fuss.

lunasea
May 8th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I find hats make my head hot in the summer. I go for a daily walk but carry a paper umbrella. At first the folks around here seemed a bit surprised but they are all used to it now and don't blink an eyelash.

woodswanderer
May 8th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Somehow, I just tried to answer a question directed at someone else. Yep...must be my bedtime.

Nadine <3
May 8th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I just wear a baseball cap when I'm in the sun for a long time. Not so much for the sake of my hair, but my scalp burns sooo easy because of how thin my hair is. I could care less if my hair gets sun bleached, but a scalp burn HURTS. I have a few caps in different colors, but I like stealing my boyfriends...just like I steal his hoodies :p

Komao
May 9th, 2015, 07:01 AM
I do have a great sun hat from www.sungrubbies.com, which is a 5 inch brim, and a Luxury Divas sunhat from Amazon with a 7 inch brim. They are both ribbon braid, crushable hats. I just put my hair in a braid to wear them. I don't think I'm out in the sun enough to need to protect my hair too. Even if I'm wrong about that, it is more important to me to protect my face.

Thanks. I like several of the brim hats on www.sungrubbies.com :o

Carolyn
May 9th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I have an adjustable open crown hat I got at Cracker Barrel a few years ago. The day I met Autumn Leaves! I wear it with a high bun near the top of my head. I also have a wide brimmed straw hat that is supposed to have some kind of UV protection. I wear a single English braid with that. Sometime I wear a baseball cap with my ponytail out the hole in the back of the cap. I love that look but it doesn't protect my neck from the sun so I use lots of suncreen. My hat wearing is almost always at the beach or some outdoor event like a NASCAR race or a concert. I really don't like the way I look in a hat but protecting my skin from the sun is more important.

rags
May 9th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I have a couple of hats from http://www.sundayafternoons.com. Mine are crushable and packable. I can do a bun with one , but only because my hair is thin so my bun is tiny! I doubt anyone with normal circumference could do it. And I usually don't either, because it makes a "lump" in the hat. I usually wear a braid or braids. My time in the sun is usually short enough (except once a year when we go to the beach) that I'm only worried about protecting my skin. At the beach is when I stuff it in a bun under the hat - AND I sit under an umbrella! What can I say, I'm pale and burn very, very easily! :p

cat11
May 9th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Cute!! The link didn't work for me, but I tracked down the company. Why are they so cheep? What is the catch?

Idk, from China, different economies. Ive got great stuff from there before!! Never had a problem. Like someone else said tho they use China sizing for clothes so pay attention to measurements if you're gonna go looking at stuff other than hats!