PDA

View Full Version : Why is my new grown hair getting curly?

Wusel
May 2nd, 2015, 04:02 AM
I ask myself why all the new hair that is growing is curly.
I have like a top layer of curly hairs growing while most of the rest of my hair is straight with some waves.
When I was a child my hair was stick straight and it's getting curlier with years.
Is it possible that in some years I'm completely curly? (Oh, I'd love to be! :)
Did someone here experience this? Straight when younger and more and more curly with years?
Can your hair texture change from straight to curly because of meds/diet/lifestyle/sports?

I've read somewhere that when you encourage hair growth with hair vitamins or massages and your hair grows faster it grows curly or wavy. That fast hair growth or a growth spurt means waves/curls.

What do you think about this?

Illryeth
May 2nd, 2015, 04:53 AM
It is possible that in a few months your hair becomes totally different! :D
I think it is all because of hormones, I used to have slick straight hair, and after a while my hair became curly for a few years, not wavy, directly curly... now it is straight again :D.
I didnt change anything in my lifestyle, so with me it had to be just simply hormones... :D

Wusel
May 2nd, 2015, 05:51 AM
It is possible that in a few months your hair becomes totally different! :D
I think it is all because of hormones, I used to have slick straight hair, and after a while my hair became curly for a few years, not wavy, directly curly... now it is straight again :D.
I didnt change anything in my lifestyle, so with me it had to be just simply hormones... :D

I need those hormones. I want curls.:pray::D

lapushka
May 2nd, 2015, 06:21 AM
It can happen, but it largely depends on what you call curly? Is it more wavy than you're used to, or really curly/curly? A picture would be nice so we can see. :)

Wusel
May 2nd, 2015, 06:38 AM
It can happen, but it largely depends on what you call curly? Is it more wavy than you're used to, or really curly/curly? A picture would be nice so we can see. :)

I try... But it's difficult to capture it in the picture... It's all blurry.
It's really curly. Almost like (I'm sorry but it's a good comparison:oops:) pubic hair...

lapushka
May 2nd, 2015, 06:41 AM
I try... But it's difficult to capture it in the picture... It's all blurry.
It's really curly. Almost like (I'm sorry but it's a good comparison:oops:) pubic hair...

Just to know, I'm curious. How old are you? Because it might just be hormones, you know. I went through puberty and went from a 1b/c, yeah 1c to a 2b/c and boy did I have to adjust to that!

Arctic
May 2nd, 2015, 07:15 AM
I've had this happen, I think it's hormones. I was around 30 years old then.

I think I have the same texture on my hairs as you, I choose to call the wiry or kinky, because I feel it's kinder to me and others, and I suggest you to do the same. If someone is struggling to accept wiry hairs having them compared to pubic hairs can be disheartening. It was for me, and it took me years and long stays away from hair community to finally accept my new hairs.

My hair used to be straight, fine and thin. Then these new coarser strands started to grow and I developed waves, and my hair became thicker (because indivisual strands were thicker (=coarser) + waves add some poofiness). Now my hair seemes to be much straighter again, but I have probably 1/3 if not more of wiry hairs.

Also when I was around 20 I had really bad stressrelated hairfall. Really bad. When my hair started to grow back, it was curly. I had it cut into pixie, and it was so fun to have curls! But as the new growth grew longer, my hair became it's own self again (straight). That time I did not have any changes in the strand thickness or texture.

All and all, these kind of texture changes are very common and usually nothing to worry about. Wiry hairs are also very common, they are just one hairtype among others. Now some medical conditions can affect hair, like thyroid, so it's always good to have a check-up. BUt I'm pretty sure in most cases there is nothing to worry about.

Arctic
May 2nd, 2015, 07:16 AM
I've had this happen, I think it's hormones. I was around 30 years old then.

I think I have the same texture on my hairs as you, I choose to call the wiry or kinky, because I feel it's kinder to me and others, and I suggest you to do the same. If someone is struggling to accept wiry hairs having them compared to pubic hairs can be disheartening. It was for me, and it took me years and long stays away from hair community to finally accept my new hairs.

My hair used to be straight, fine and thin. Then these new coarser strands started to grow and I developed waves, and my hair became thicker (because individual strands were thicker (=coarser) + waves add some poofiness). Now my hair seemes to be much straighter again, but I have probably 1/3 if not more of wiry hairs.

Also when I was around 20 I had really bad stressrelated hairfall. Really bad. When my hair started to grow back, it was curly. I had it cut into pixie, and it was so fun to have curls! But as the new growth grew longer, my hair became it's own self again (straight). That time I did not have any changes in the strand thickness or texture.

All and all, these kind of texture changes are very common and usually nothing to worry about. Wiry hairs are also very common, they are just one hairtype among others. Now some medical conditions can affect hair, like thyroid, so it's always good to have a check-up. BUt I'm pretty sure in most cases there is nothing to worry about.

Auni
May 2nd, 2015, 07:36 AM
I used to have straight hair as a kid. One year, around the age of 16, I didn't have time to do my normal blow dry because of a school project I had to complete, and ended up with the hair you see in my siggy, but curlier. Everyone, except my mom who noticed my hair first, thought I got a perm! It stayed like this until my first pregnancy when my curls relaxed a bit, which turned out to be a theme. Hormones play a HUGE part in curl/texture pattern!
Actually, I just realized, my profile picture is a painting my mother did of me as a freshmen in high school, notice the straight hair?