PDA

View Full Version : Dry Shampoo?

LadyMantis
May 1st, 2015, 08:55 PM
So I am prone to a really oily scalp (if I don't wash my hair every other day). Now I'm told to wash my hair less to keep my hair from getting dry (even if I use moisturizing shampoo), so I wanted to look into dry shampoo. I know you only spray it on your scalp. Do you guys have good or bad experiences with it? My hair dresser actually recommended the Psst pharmacy brand. I tried it once but my seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff with an oily scalp) came back, but it could have been from a supplement I was taking (Silicon). I actually looked it up and apparently silicon CAN cause dandruff. So yeah, I'm pretty sure that one was the culprit, but I am prone to spells of sebhorreic dermatitis (but I haven't had it since high school). ANYWAY, I'm rambling. I wanted to know about your experiences with dry shampoo.

Nadine <3
May 1st, 2015, 09:42 PM
I have SD as well, and for me dry shampoo triggers it. If you have an oily scalp and SD I would just wash when it gets dirty. I wash my hair every 2-3 days and my scalp certainly isn't dry.

DKSABS
May 1st, 2015, 11:38 PM
I don't know much about SD, but I do love Nightblooming's dry shampoo and it's all natural.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/121506296/moondust-herbal-dry-shampoo-75g?ref=shop_home_active_14

Radiant
May 2nd, 2015, 01:50 AM
I also don't know much about SD, but I've tried a ton of different dry shampoos. By far my favorite is the Batiste brand... although I've never tried the colored ones (for use with darker brown/black or red hair). As long as I don't use too much and comb it through well I've never had an issue with my hair looking faded or grey, despite having color treated red hair. My favorite scents are Cherry and Fresh. The trick to getting a good result is to shake the can REALLY well and don't over spray.

Wusel
May 2nd, 2015, 02:03 AM
CLORANE oatmilk! Many people say it's the BEST. I love it.
And I've tried many brands of DS.
But what works best for oily scalp and is cheap and alcohol-free: Baby powder.

sarahthegemini
May 2nd, 2015, 02:22 AM
Can't stand dry shampoo, it doesn't make my hair look lovely and clean - just dull. I'd rather just wash it when it needs it (every other day) I have no issue with dryness.

dottodot
May 2nd, 2015, 02:34 AM
I have SD and have been using Batiste Blush. I got scared of the ones with color. I only use it occasionally and haven't noticed any intense flare ups from it. However, I've heard if you use a lot of other products in your hair in addition to the dry shampoo, it can cause a lot of build-up. Some dry shampoo tutorials suggest not using it more than once a day. It really all depends. My sister particularly likes using baby powder for her oily hair. I say give it a test run and see what your scalp likes. I know how hard it can be catering to a sensitive scalp. Unfortunately, SD is one of those conditions that doesn't allow you to stretch washes as long as you'd like. Good luck!

Rapunzel_to_be
May 2nd, 2015, 02:41 AM
Can't stand dry shampoo, it doesn't make my hair look lovely and clean - just dull. I'd rather just wash it when it needs it (every other day) I have no issue with dryness.

I also felt like my hair looked dull! I tried using dry shampoo for about a month or two, when trying to not wash it daily, but my hair looked so dull so I stopped using it, and I also do not really like the idea of having some powder sitting on my scalp, to me it sounds like it might cause some future problems, or prevent my hair to be as healthy as possible, since the scalp environment is not clean or has something unnatural blocking it... These are just my thought, I might be wrong about it and if it works for people then that is great, but I'd rather just wash my hair when needed :)

Doreen
May 2nd, 2015, 02:46 AM
I tried to hop on the dry shampoo train, but it just didn't work for me. If you try a bunch of different dry shampoo formulas and none of them are working how you'd like, you may need to concede to more frequent washes and instead look into ways to keep your hair moisturized. That's just my two cents though.

allierat
May 2nd, 2015, 05:15 AM
I also don't know much about SD, but I've tried a ton of different dry shampoos. By far my favorite is the Batiste brand...

Same here, I love Batiste but don't have SD. However, sometimes if my hair looks oily and I've ran out of dry shampoo I just sick back my hair and hope people with think it's slick with product rather than grease :cool:

lapushka
May 2nd, 2015, 05:40 AM
SD doesn't play nice with dry shampoo, that's my experience. One day? Might still be okay, but more? No! I've used it in the past, with nasty flakes and itchies as a result.

Nique1202
May 2nd, 2015, 05:45 AM
I use the Herbal Essences aerosol dry shampoo as a last resort if my fringe feels super greasy and the rest of my hair doesn't want a wash yet, but it does make my hair feel like it's got hairspray in it sometimes rather than feeling dry. My fringe still looks pretty piece-y and clumpy afterward, and the texture is as if it were bone dry after a clarifying wash with no conditioner. It's very strange and I don't do it often if I can avoid it.

You're pretty much best off just washing when your scalp needs washing, but keeping the shampoo above your shoulders instead of working it into the length. This is something that's not always clear unless you read/watch a tutorial on washing long hair specifically. The only time you need to shampoo the length is during a proper clarifying wash. If you just let the suds from your scalp run down instead (this is often more than enough cleansing for the length) you'll save on shampoo and dry out the length less. Also when applying conditioner, keep it below the shoulders until it's worked in and then run your conditioner-filmed hands over the outside of your hair at the end. The hair near the scalp gets most of the advantages of your natural sebum and needs almost no conditioner. Keeping conditioner away from my scalp means I've been able to stretch my washes to every 4-6 days from feeling greasy every other day so it's worth a shot!

Lightbulb7Seven
May 2nd, 2015, 12:41 PM
I really love dry shampoo! I have used Pssst on my daughter and I and it did the job, made our scalp clean and the hair up top. But my daughter has jet black hair and it would look gray, so I ordered Batiste dark and deep brown. Here is a link for a three pack if anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMP502K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

animetor7
May 2nd, 2015, 12:46 PM
I don't have SD, but I've heard that it's best to just wash your scalp when it gets oily if you do have SD. Have you thought about scalp only washes? then you can keep the length protected and not make your SD act up.

gwenalyn
May 2nd, 2015, 03:38 PM
Adding my voice to the chorus of Batiste users. I use the colored version for dark brown hair. But like others on this thread, I don't have SD, so it may not be appropriate for you.

Make sure you condition from the shoulders down only, like someone upthread said. You might also check your shampoo ingredients list--some shampoos include cones to add shine, but they can also make hair look greasy faster.

yahirwaO.o
May 2nd, 2015, 08:00 PM
Well I'm really cheap here, just plain cocoa powder makes a great dry shampoo for me, works wonders and I smell like dessert (which i love) all day :p

....still I agree with other ladies here, nothing beats a nice proper washing for fighting dull hair!

LadyMantis
May 2nd, 2015, 08:51 PM
CLORANE oatmilk! Many people say it's the BEST. I love it.
And I've tried many brands of DS.
But what works best for oily scalp and is cheap and alcohol-free: Baby powder.

But doesn't baby powder make your hair--well, white? lol

MoonMaiden
May 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM
If you are wanting a dry shampoo, you can try using cocoa powder,, it works really well. You dust it on rub it in your scalp, let it sit for a minute and then take gauze/cheesecloth and rub it out. For blondes you can use arrowrootpowder. Ive noticed the cocoa gives a lot of volume too, only thing i mite worry about is walking in the rain with it lol

endlessly
May 9th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I've tried a couple of dry shampoos - Batiste, Pssst, Dove, Herbal Essences - and honestly, they didn't do anything for me, just made my hair feel sticky like a hairspray. I have a few eczema patches that occasionally flare up on my scalp and the spray on dry shampoo definitely made it quite a bit worse to the point that I had to scrub my scalp pretty roughly to help alleviate the itchiness, which just goes against the purpose of using a dry shampoo in the first place.

The only one I've found to work for me is the 'No Drought' by Lush, which is a powder dry shampoo versus a spray on, so it doesn't leave my hair feeling sticky and tangled. I've only used it twice so far and while the results are not mind-blowing, it does help me to extend the need to wash for at least one more day, but I haven't been able to go any longer than that. I get a lot of volume, which is also nice, and like I mentioned before, my hair doesn't feel tangled so I can brush through it (also a necessity since my hair is brown and the powder is white).

PalomaSincera
May 9th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I also felt like my hair looked dull! I tried using dry shampoo for about a month or two, when trying to not wash it daily, but my hair looked so dull so I stopped using it, and I also do not really like the idea of having some powder sitting on my scalp, to me it sounds like it might cause some future problems, or prevent my hair to be as healthy as possible, since the scalp environment is not clean or has something unnatural blocking it... These are just my thought, I might be wrong about it and if it works for people then that is great, but I'd rather just wash my hair when needed :)

I agree. I have the treaseme brand dry shampoo but my hair doesn't end up looking clean... perhaps I'm using it wrong? But either way, I'm not comfortable with chemicals on my scalp.

gwenalyn
May 9th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I agree. I have the treaseme brand dry shampoo but my hair doesn't end up looking clean... perhaps I'm using it wrong? But either way, I'm not comfortable with chemicals on my scalp.

I used TreSemme for a while, and it didn't quite work for me either. Try switching up brands--I found Batiste works 3xs better than TreSemme, for example, but your hair might be different.

The key is to spray the dry shampoo on, LET IT DRY, and *then* ruffle your fingers through/brush it out.

BTW, most dry shampoos are just rice starch or something similar mixed with some liquids to make it easier to apply (i.e. as a spray).

Kitsunesunset
May 9th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I've jumped on the dry shampoo train last year, because I discovered it was not healthy to wash daily. I now wash every other day but I still need to use Dry Shampoo in between because I have a really oily scalp. I've found Batiste and Klorane work best for me, even after a search for one that's cheaper.

LadyLongLocks
May 9th, 2015, 09:59 PM
I also don't know much about SD, but I've tried a ton of different dry shampoos. By far my favorite is the Batiste brand... although I've never tried the colored ones (for use with darker brown/black or red hair). As long as I don't use too much and comb it through well I've never had an issue with my hair looking faded or grey, despite having color treated red hair. My favorite scents are Cherry and Fresh. The trick to getting a good result is to shake the can REALLY well and don't over spray.

I love Batiste dry shampoo too. I have tried many kinds.

PalomaSincera
May 9th, 2015, 10:38 PM
I used TreSemme for a while, and it didn't quite work for me either. Try switching up brands--I found Batiste works 3xs better than TreSemme, for example, but your hair might be different.

The key is to spray the dry shampoo on, LET IT DRY, and *then* ruffle your fingers through/brush it out.

BTW, most dry shampoos are just rice starch or something similar mixed with some liquids to make it easier to apply (i.e. as a spray).

Ohhhhh, see, I wasn't letting it dry completely. I just let it set for 45 seconds max. I'll look into Batiste. I have an oily scalp so if I were to find something that I'm comfortable with then I might use it.
Thanks.
Also, I just joined so I have no clue how to describe or even identify my hair type. :confused: