PDA

View Full Version : Plantbased diet shedding hair

Shufro
May 1st, 2015, 05:30 PM
Hey all,
I've been mainly on a plant based diet, i would not call myself vegetarian. I don't eat much dairy or eggs. Sometimes I eat fish and its very rare that i eat red meat. I've been eating like this ever since I moved out from my parents house and started college (8 months ago). I want to eat more plant based food because its healthier and good for the environment. So, ever since then my hair started to shed and I feel as if its at least 2/3 of what i used to have.

Anyone experienced the same? Did your hair regrow? I'm taking supplements for vegetarians since 4 months and i don't see any less shedding.

:confused:

LadyLorien
May 1st, 2015, 05:36 PM
I do not eat meat, and I was vegan for a good amount of time, but I never experienced increased shedding. My sister, however, did seem to shed a lot more when she first attempted vegetarianism but that was a few years ago. If you are relatively new to a more plant based diet, you may not be getting enough protein despite your vegetarian supplements. Your body may also just need time to adjust. You should try tracking your exact nutrition intake and maybe adjust things here and there to see what works for you. (grams of protein, carbohydrates, etc...) I'll message my sister and see if she has any further advice, good luck! :)

lunalocks
May 1st, 2015, 05:48 PM
Just eliminating meat from your diet and replacing with vegies does not a balanced diet make. Be sure you are getting enough protein by combining grains, nuts and legumes. Black beans and rice. Whole grain chips and hummous. Quinoa and lentils. Peanut butter on whole grain bread. Almond or soy milk on whole grain cereal. It is the combination of amino acids that make up total proteins.

cocoahair
May 1st, 2015, 05:52 PM
I do not eat meat, and I was vegan for a good amount of time, but I never experienced increased shedding. My sister, however, did seem to shed a lot more when she first attempted vegetarianism but that was a few years ago. If you are relatively new to a more plant based diet, you may not be getting enough protein despite your vegetarian supplements. Your body may also just need time to adjust. You should try tracking your exact nutrition intake and maybe adjust things here and there to see what works for you. (grams of protein, carbohydrates, etc...) I'll message my sister and see if she has any further advice, good luck! :)

I can tell you that what has helped me keep my plant based diet from effecting my hair is taking Omega 3 supplements. The flaxseed ones are vegetarian I believe but for me it has just all been about listening to my protein needs. When you go plant based you need to make sure you up your intake, as vegetables just don't have the amount of calories or substance your body is used to. If you are not eating enough, it could be that your body thinks it is starving and is cutting off nutrients to otherwise less important bodily functions. Make sure you are getting your protein, for me I use large amounts of spinach and beans and legumes of various sorts to get my intake where it needs to be. I don't consume meat or animal products besides honey so I am not vegan but I do eat mostly plants and I find my hair and nails don't grow as well when I am not keeping track of and meeting my daily protein/iron/vitamin ect goals. I find a food journal helps in the first few months to keep track of what you ate and how it effected your body. good luck I know how hard it is to be eating a plant based diet in college :flower: also don't forget that taking a supplement will not do anything for your body if you are not getting the food nutrients in through actual consumption
eta: I would consult your college's nutritionist (most school have one) or your doctor though as I am not an expert by any means

lunalocks
May 1st, 2015, 06:04 PM
Excellent advise, cocoahair.

Glynis72
May 1st, 2015, 06:41 PM
I have wondered about this. I had a large shed when I was younger and eating vegan for awhile. I feared that was the cause. I got most of my hair after having my daughter and giving up the vegan diet while pregnant and nursing. I would like to go back to it. I am thinking that the diet did not cause the shed, but my work stress did. I have had a less stressful job for a year now.

ZoSo
May 1st, 2015, 11:42 PM
3 years vegan diet & no change in hair shedding. Maybe experiment by changing one food item at a time. You could also get your levels checked.

truepeacenik
May 1st, 2015, 11:52 PM
Well, you also have major stresses in your life: moving out and university.

Stress leads to hair fall.

Also, it you are listing Twinkies or any relative as plant food, grab a bottle of vitamins.
(Insert the french fries and sweets vegetarian rant here)

Rapunzel_to_be
May 2nd, 2015, 02:33 AM
Just eliminating meat from your diet and replacing with vegies does not a balanced diet make. Be sure you are getting enough protein by combining grains, nuts and legumes. Black beans and rice. Whole grain chips and hummous. Quinoa and lentils. Peanut butter on whole grain bread. Almond or soy milk on whole grain cereal. It is the combination of amino acids that make up total proteins.

This is exactly what I was going to say too! I mostly eat a plant based diet, on rare occasions I might eat dairy, and a few times a week chicken or fish. But I have been completely meat free for four months previously and I did not have any shedding, but I was eating as mentioned above, maybe if you are not doing that, ty to do so, and your shedding should stop :)

Rapunzel_to_be
May 2nd, 2015, 02:34 AM

This is exactly what I was going to say too! I mostly eat a plant based diet, on rare occasions I might eat dairy, and a few times a week chicken or fish. But I have been completely meat free for four months previously and I did not have any shedding, but I was eating as mentioned above, maybe if you are not doing that, ty to do so, and your shedding should stop :)

Panth
May 2nd, 2015, 03:16 AM
I agree with the others - veganism (or similar) diets don't necessarily mean healthy. You have to be careful to get enough calories, enough macronutrients (especially protein and fat, for vegans) and enough micronutrients (vitamin B12 is a particular concern as it does not naturally occur in any vegan foodstuff - you have to supplement, eat fortified foods and/or occasionally eat dairy/eggs/meat to get it into your diet). However, for most people a balanced vegan diet (with supplements/fortified food as necessary) is perfectly compatible with growing long hair and should not result in shedding. It is quite possible that your new diet is lacking in one/several areas and this is stressing your body, resulting in the hairloss.

Alternatively, it is possible that your recent life changes (starting college, moving house) have stressed you mentally and this is the cause.

In either case, once you remove the stress (by eating better, dealing with stressful stuff in your life, whatever) your hair should stop shedding and grow back.

Wusel
May 2nd, 2015, 03:27 AM
I've stopped my vegan diet after 3 years because it made me loose half of my hair. I've experienced a lot with almost every kind of diet and for me personally I've found out that my hair needs tons of animal protein. It didn't work with plant protein. I followed every advice vegan nutritionists gave me, I've spent a huge amount of money on special (also fortified foods) and supplements, I've read every book, watched every video or documentary on veganism and in my heart I'm still vegan but I can't continue with this because my body doesn't like it. I eat animal protein (eggs, meat, fish, cheese...) every day and it makes my hair really thick and healthy. I feel sorry for the animals but I'm no more 20 and need to be a bit more selfish to survive and stay healthy and good looking.

Shufro
May 2nd, 2015, 04:03 AM
WOW THANK YOU ALL.... I got really good advices! :blossom:And I googled Twinkies... haha does not look so tasty. (i'm from Sweden) But hey I will definitely try to eat more proteins because now that you mention it it got me think about the fact that I do not eat lots of beans. I will have to educate myself in this. And yes moving out and college definitely got me more stressed..
Hair is not everything in life but its a bit harsh when my family and friends started to mention that my hair is thinner than before... =/ that was when i realized that i am not just imagining it.
Thank you for your gold advices!

allierat
May 2nd, 2015, 05:07 AM
I was vegetarian for a while, no meat no fish and little dairy or eggs, with a good balanced diet and plenty of vitamins to support me. I had quite a lot of hair shedding, starting about 6 months after I stopped eating meat (nothing else changed in that time apart from my diet). My hair never got any better while I was still veggie, I gradually started to eat meat again in the last year and I have noticed new hair growth but unsure if it's down to diet change or other things I have been doing, but my hair is no longer falling out excessively.

Panth
May 2nd, 2015, 05:44 AM
Hair is not everything in life but its a bit harsh when my family and friends started to mention that my hair is thinner than before... =/ that was when i realized that i am not just imagining it.

Hair is not everything, but it is a good "canary in the mine". It's one of the first thing that the body cuts back on when it is stressed or short on resources. By keeping an eye on your hair not only will you keep it, but you also may well spot health issues before they become so severe that they start damaging other parts of your body that heal less well.

Wusel
May 2nd, 2015, 05:49 AM
I was vegetarian for a while, no meat no fish and little dairy or eggs, with a good balanced diet and plenty of vitamins to support me. I had quite a lot of hair shedding, starting about 6 months after I stopped eating meat (nothing else changed in that time apart from my diet). My hair never got any better while I was still veggie, I gradually started to eat meat again in the last year and I have noticed new hair growth but unsure if it's down to diet change or other things I have been doing, but my hair is no longer falling out excessively.

I've experienced the same... new growth when I started eating meat again.