PDA

View Full Version : Velcro-y hair - HELP!

Wusel
May 1st, 2015, 03:05 AM
Ileonora wrote something yesterday, what exactly describes my hair problem, which I didn't know how to describe before, to be able to ask you for help, but her description is perfect (Thank you Ileonora :)

"my hair is far from cooperative - it's got a ton of grip (you could describe it as almost velcro-y) and separating strands is a huge pain.-"

HUGE PAIN TO SEPARATE. Yes. Exactly.
Every hairstyle is a pain to accomplish because the hairs stick together like a Velcro Roller.
HELP!

Ilenora
May 1st, 2015, 04:31 AM
UGH! Isn't it awful? My hair is a little better when freshly washed but trying to do anything but a basic 3 strand braid is still a huge pain. Is there any way to make the strands separate more easily? What I wouldn't give to have hair with a bit more slip!

Ilenora
May 1st, 2015, 04:35 AM
I should take a photo of my hair fanned out so people can see what we mean XD

missblueeyes
May 1st, 2015, 05:18 AM
Have you tried clarifying and doing a deep moisture treatment yet? How does your hair respond to silicones?
Just realized that this is basically the LHC way of asking 'have you tried turning it off and on again?' haha.

lapushka
May 1st, 2015, 05:36 AM
Just realized that this is basically the LHC way of asking 'have you tried turning it off and on again?' haha.

Hahaha LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, yes do make sure you clarify-wash first, with a light conditioner to follow.

Wusel
May 1st, 2015, 05:49 AM
Have you tried clarifying and doing a deep moisture treatment yet? How does your hair respond to silicones?

My hair doesn't like silicones. I avoid them. And the only thing I use on it is coconut oil and J.R. Liggett's shampoo bar because I have a very sensitive scalp which gets itchy when I use something else. :(

lapushka
May 1st, 2015, 05:56 AM
It might be the shampoo bar. Maybe try a citric rinse after instead of ACV, or something. If you can't clarify-wash with a regular shampoo, you'll have to make do with what you got.

mermaid lullaby
May 1st, 2015, 09:39 AM
Seconding vinegar rinses :thumbsup:

1Tbls of vinegar
1Cup of water

divinedobbie
May 1st, 2015, 10:25 AM

:lol: great comparison

Arete
May 1st, 2015, 11:31 AM
Clarifying works wonders. If my ends are starting to feel unusually dry or sticking like you describe, a clarifying wash and BAM! Soft and silky again!

spidermom
May 1st, 2015, 11:58 AM
My ends turned into a Velcro mess while I was doing the CWC method of washing because positive and negative ions attract and cling to each other and the hair. If you're doing that, stop. Wash, rinse, condition, rinse works best in my experience.

A very small amount of coney serum to bottom half of length also helps. I only do this every 2nd or 3rd wash because the effect lasts that long. I clarify-wash about every 8 to 12 weeks. The products I've been using don't give much buildup.

molljo
May 1st, 2015, 01:47 PM

This might be the funniest thing I've heard all week.

missblueeyes
May 1st, 2015, 02:10 PM
Hahaha LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: great comparison

This might be the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Glad I could make you laugh or brighten your day a bit with my thoughts. 8)

gwenalyn
May 1st, 2015, 04:48 PM
Look for signs of damage like white dots, split ends, and fairy knots at the ends--that can keep the hair sticking to itself too, and if damage is the culprit you may just have to trim it out.

Wusel
May 1st, 2015, 06:21 PM
Look for signs of damage like white dots, split ends, and fairy knots at the ends--that can keep the hair sticking to itself too, and if damage is the culprit you may just have to trim it out.

I have absolutely no damage. Extremely healthy hair.

Ilenora
May 1st, 2015, 08:27 PM
I see you've got pretty straight hair Wusel, but I was wondering if in my case my hair sticks together because it's quite wavy, and the hair strands are actually curling around one another and that's why it catches on itself so much?

Arctic
May 2nd, 2015, 08:00 AM
On my hair velcroy, sticky hair is a sign of build-up, so I (like others) advice trying clarifying, and maybe check your regularly used products (ingredients) if there is something your hair might not like. Since you are new you might not be able to pin point ingredients like that yet, but start practicing and at some point you will be. Keeping a hair journal, typing down the ingredients, keeping log on how your hair reacts to certain products all might help in the long run.

Silverbrumby
May 2nd, 2015, 08:29 AM
I find coconut oil causes my hair to get buildup. I now shampoo with a good sulfate free poo and leave suds on for a few minutes before a good deep cond. It brings it back.

Brattina88
May 3rd, 2015, 04:32 PM
I just had the SAME problem! I thought for sure I was goi no to have to cut a good inch or two off of my hair :( luckily I thought to clarify and chelate, and it was like new again. *whew*

gwenalyn
May 4th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I have absolutely no damage. Extremely healthy hair.

Good to hear! That's usually the culprit for me.