PDA

View Full Version : Help pleas :(

Chloeharperx
April 30th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Okay I won't go into detail too much but for four years I badly damaged my hair (bleech, dye, flat iron, curling, ripping out while brushing, back coming, anything that I can do to damage my hair I basically done..) and this time last year I had 2 inch cut off it and completely stopped ALL damage apart from using the blow dryer on the lowest heat with a heat protecting spray and the occasional flat iron also on the lowest heat with heat spray, so I left my hair for a while hoping it would get better...no. By October it had grew a little but it was dead, again, so I got 1.5 inch cut off and then in February I got a trim but my hair is in a terrible state as you can imagine it's not very long it's about 3 inch longer than my collar bone and it's covered in these white dots that bend at a 90 degree angle every single end of my hair has these white dots and I have my own scissors (they are not blunt they don't have issue) everytime I cut the white dot just reappears? This is the reason why I don't want to cut my hair to collar bone length because I'm scared it won't grow back as it would still have these white dots and actually not be any healthier..

does anyone one have any idea what I can do to get rid of these horrible little white dots?:/
- I use deep conditioner every 2-4 days, I use a serum, I use heat protecting spray, I've tried the dusting technique and the dots just appear again, I only brush when dry, the only styling I do to my hair is plait it when it's a little damp that way it doesn't have tugs when I wake up

Chloeharperx
April 30th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Yeah I spelt 'please' wrong oops

Chloeharperx
April 30th, 2015, 11:39 PM
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2191lih&s=8#.VUMRZ1KkrCQ

Here is a picture of the white dots they're really hard to get on camera but I tried

restless
May 1st, 2015, 02:15 AM
Severely damaged hair? Been there, done that!

First; You wrote that your hair reaches about 3 inches below your collarbone now, and youve trimmed 3 or so inches the past year, but hair only grows around 6 inches/year on average, so there are still many inches of damaged hair left. That hair cannot be healed and it will always be more fragile, dry and tangle prone than your virgin hair.

However, there are ways to cover the damage somewhat and make it look/feel better until you reach the point when you feel like trimming it off for good. I dont know what products and serums you use, but I know a lot of people on here like oils. Me, I can highly recommend cold pressed, virgin coconut oil. Its the best thing Ive ever tried and it saved my hair that I had abused with heat, dye, bleach, back combing- you name it. Search the forum and you will find plenty of other natural products (leave ins, deep teatments, styling products) that are kind to the hair and worth a go.

Also, you said you still blow dry and use a flat iron occasionally. You added you do that on the lowest heat while using heat protectants, but maybe thats too much for your hair to handle anyway, and especially if its already damaged? There are plenty of ways to create waves, curls and straight hair with techniques that require no heat at all, so my advice would be to check those threads (and youtube vids!) out too while your at it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

aurorae
May 1st, 2015, 02:54 AM
im just gonna reiterate what the person above said.its damaged,i believe its still split ends or bubbled ends which have not been cut off.hair is dead as soon as it leaves the scalp,it cannot be healed,or made to feel better.but you can give it some cosmetic help make it last a little longer.so do you want to,after identifying where the damage begins,cut it all off,or live with it a little while longer and cut off little by little?
as an afro textured,when i used combs i never combed dry and only once or twice a week.
You should look at your regimen and anything not beneficial should be let off.
Do remember, as long as you are healthy,your hair keeps growing,generally slow, but it grows.take care.

Wusel
May 1st, 2015, 02:54 AM
Severely damaged hair? Been there, done that!

First; You wrote that your hair reaches about 3 inches below your collarbone now, and youve trimmed 3 or so inches the past year, but hair only grows around 6 inches/year on average, so there are still many inches of damaged hair left. That hair cannot be healed and it will always be more fragile, dry and tangle prone than your virgin hair.

However, there are ways to cover the damage somewhat and make it look/feel better until you reach the point when you feel like trimming it off for good. I dont know what products and serums you use, but I know a lot of people on here like oils. Me, I can highly recommend cold pressed, virgin coconut oil. Its the best thing Ive ever tried and it saved my hair that I had abused with heat, dye, bleach, back combing- you name it. Search the forum and you will find plenty of other natural products (leave ins, deep teatments, styling products) that are kind to the hair and worth a go.

Also, you said you still blow dry and use a flat iron occasionally. You added you do that on the lowest heat while using heat protectants, but maybe thats too much for your hair to handle anyway, and especially if its already damaged? There are plenty of ways to create waves, curls and straight hair with techniques that require no heat at all, so my advice would be to check those threads (and youtube vids!) out too while your at it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

Yes, WELCOME to the forum. :)
Don't worry, hair grows and whatever problem you have, you'll get a lot of support and help here (I know it from my own experience).
So, first thing: STOP the heat COMPLETELY!
No blowdrying!
No iron!
And coconut oil. It's great.
Oil your hands with a small amount, like you use hand cream, and then slide them over the hair. Gives shine and moisture and your hair looks instantly better.

allierat
May 1st, 2015, 03:40 AM
You said you always use a heat protective spray if you flat iron. That could be causing an awful lot of damage if you are spraying just before straightening, leaving the hair damp, hair needs to be completely dry when you straighten otherwise you will fry your hair.

Chloeharperx
May 1st, 2015, 03:55 AM
Thank you for the help everyone! I think I may buy some coconut oil, I use Pantene deep conditioner and I keep it in for about 15 minutes

I really don't want to cut my hair any shorter because I feel like it's still going to be damaged when it's cut and that worries me because I do not suit short hair :/ and I don't flat iron any more the last time I flat ironed was in January I just use the blow drier on cold heat once a week I think if I just keep cutting a little bit off every few months the damage will eventually grow out but I'm not sure if it works like that?

Wusel
May 1st, 2015, 04:05 AM
Thank you for the help everyone! I think I may buy some coconut oil, I use Pantene deep conditioner and I keep it in for about 15 minutes

I really don't want to cut my hair any shorter because I feel like it's still going to be damaged when it's cut and that worries me because I do not suit short hair :/ and I don't flat iron any more the last time I flat ironed was in January I just use the blow drier on cold heat once a week I think if I just keep cutting a little bit off every few months the damage will eventually grow out but I'm not sure if it works like that?

Yes. It will work like that if you deep condition with the oil and wear protective styles. Put it up with claw clips (NO METAL! Only plastic) or braid it. Oil and protection all the time. I do the same. Your hair damages when it's loose and when the ends lay on pullovers or jackets and rub against the fabric. Makes the ends break and dry out.

Peacock twist is good for shorter or medium length hair. I wear it very often.

Doreen
May 1st, 2015, 04:11 AM
Yes, if you cut off regularly it will eventually get rid of all the damage. It would also be good to S&D every couple weeks when you get a chance. I think the best thing for you to do though is to just leave your hair alone in terms of damaging things.
Swear off heat, hairspray, teasing, chemical treatments, ANYTHING damaging for the rest of the year -- only 8 more months, maybe 4" of growth. I don't know what your routine looks like now but sometimes I have found the simpler the better. It is a good idea to find some treatments that work to mask your damage, but once you find one that works, stick to it. Switching treatments can be fun but I think also could cause more damage if your hair doesn't like a certain combination for some reason.

Chloeharperx
May 1st, 2015, 04:32 AM
Thats what I've been trying to do in terms of leaving my hair apart from the plaiting when it dries by its self I just let it dry I don't usually blow dry unless I'm in a rush which is about once a week, could someone tell me what S&D is please? Sorry I'm new
My routine is usually this -
Wash hair with 2 in 1 shampoo conditioner
Use deep conditioner
Use serum while having wet hair
Let it dry; plait it in 2 plaits
Miss a day of washing and just brush in the morning

That's about it

restless
May 1st, 2015, 05:12 AM
could someone tell me what S&D is please? Sorry I'm new

"Search & Destroy" = You search through the hair for splits/white dots and cut them off one by one. In other words, you dont touch the rest of the hair, just that one damaged end.

lapushka
May 1st, 2015, 05:38 AM
It takes time. Stopping anything damaging is like starting from a shaved head. Seriously; the rest of the hair will keep on being damaged until you gradually trim it off. That's the reality of it. I'm also in favor of S&D. If that doesn't help you could join the microtrimming & maintaining thread. There's lots of people there who are gradually cutting off damage.

Chloeharperx
May 1st, 2015, 05:59 AM
Ohh I think I might try S&D but it's a bit difficult with shorter hair since I can't really see the damage that well on the hairs at the back and everytime i go to a hairdresser they tell me I have healthy hair but I think that's cause I'm blonde so the dots aren't very noticable

AmyBeth
May 1st, 2015, 12:24 PM
I know it sounds easy for me to say, but I truly believe that the single best thing to do for your hair is to work on accepting it and loving it for what it is just the way it comes out of your scalp!:) When you have mastered that, all of the things that damage your hair fall by the wayside and your hair then has the chance to be as healthy as it can be and you don't have to trim as much and the length you keep is more beautiful and shiny and strong. It feels really good to make peace with whatever hair type you possess, and you save a lot of time when you stop fighting it. Patience- I love that you tube video "The Secret to Long Natural Hair" by the UrbanBushBabes- so funny but so touching and inspiring! That anti-envy hair spray is fabulous! :magic:

cat11
May 1st, 2015, 08:10 PM
Yes, if you cut off regularly it will eventually get rid of all the damage. It would also be good to S&D every couple weeks when you get a chance. I think the best thing for you to do though is to just leave your hair alone in terms of damaging things.
Swear off heat, hairspray, teasing, chemical treatments, ANYTHING damaging for the rest of the year -- only 8 more months, maybe 4" of growth. I don't know what your routine looks like now but sometimes I have found the simpler the better. It is a good idea to find some treatments that work to mask your damage, but once you find one that works, stick to it. Switching treatments can be fun but I think also could cause more damage if your hair doesn't like a certain combination for some reason.

This is some very good advice, and Doreen has beautiful hair (I saw a picture of it!) so you should trust her!

I agree with everyone who suggested coconut oil, it's known to reinforce proteins (which is why on some people it makes their hair brittle, but on damaged hair like yours, you need protein reconstruction)

Also I think your hair could benefit from a protein deep conditioner (I like hask keratin protein packet- 1.60 at walmart) followed by a moisturizing conditioner, like the SMT. there's a whole thread about it, its conditioner mixed with honey/some sugar (I use agave) and aloe. It's a tried and true method for fixing damaged hair. Most of my hair isn't damaged but I still have some fairly damaged ends from bleach & dye, though the worst of them is gone they are still not like my other hair, and I do this to my ends periodically and it REALLY helps keep them as soft and flexible (and therefore less prone t damage) as possible. I just did it today again because my ends were getting a bit stiff, and it worked wonders.

If you are patient your hair will be great as long as you don't give up on it. Although I don't beleive I started as bad as yours because all I did was bleach (once) and dye, I've been doing the exact same thing you will have to do for two years now. It does pay off to slowly cut off damaged end :) Good luck!

Chloeharperx
May 2nd, 2015, 05:06 AM
Thank you, I'm going to shop around for coconut oil and see if I can find myself some protein conditioner because where I live we don't have a Walmart as I'm from the UK, I think my hair definitely has improved in the last year that I've been careful with it so it's not a complete disaster :)

allierat
May 2nd, 2015, 05:19 AM
Thank you, I'm going to shop around for coconut oil and see if I can find myself some protein conditioner because where I live we don't have a Walmart as I'm from the UK, I think my hair definitely has improved in the last year that I've been careful with it so it's not a complete disaster :)

I think mane and tail is full of protein and easily available from amazon.
You can get coconut oil cheaply in superdrug, but it's not pure, if you want better stuff you'd need something like a holland and barrat or amazon again.
Hope that helps a little :)