PDA

View Full Version : Sideburns and hairline

gthlvrmx
April 30th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Where exactly does the sideburn start and the hair line end? Where does the beard start? I have trouble figuring out where those exact lines are on me and so I am concerned that I have been cutting off hair that had potential to grow long! I really want those fairytale ends from all the hair that can grow long but I am unsure if I am cutting off too close to my hairline. Does any of that makes sense?
When I let it grow, it all forms into one dark patch on the side of my face so I don't know where exactly that hairline is at! That's why I was thinking of just letting my beard/facial hair grow so I won't worry about cutting off hair from my head but I'm not too fond of the way beards look. It's a possibility that I might grow it out and these questions won't matter, but for now, I will continue shaving and cutting. I just want to know where exactly the hairline ends compared to your ears and sideburns! Thank you!

missrandie
April 30th, 2015, 04:32 PM
For me, my hairline ends just below where my ear attaches to my head. I see you have medium to coarse hair.. If you can, look for a transition zone where your hair becomes more facially coarse (does that make sense?). That may help.

Nique1202
April 30th, 2015, 04:36 PM
It's probably a little different for everyone. You could let as much sideburn grow as you're willing to for a while and risk looking a little mutton-chop-y until you can tell where the texture changes from head-hair to beard-hair. It should be pretty obvious in a month or so.

gthlvrmx
April 30th, 2015, 09:31 PM
For me, my hairline ends just below where my ear attaches to my head. I see you have medium to coarse hair.. If you can, look for a transition zone where your hair becomes more facially coarse (does that make sense?). That may help.
You mean on top or at the bottom of your ear? There is a difference in my beard hair and the hair on my head. The sideburn area, though, seems like it is inbetween.

It's probably a little different for everyone. You could let as much sideburn grow as you're willing to for a while and risk looking a little mutton-chop-y until you can tell where the texture changes from head-hair to beard-hair. It should be pretty obvious in a month or so.

Hm I will take a look again in a month then. Thank you both for your responses!

Wusel
May 1st, 2015, 03:39 AM
I think it's a matter of what you want to create. For men sideburns and hair line is something you can play pretty much with. You can create your own line with or without sideburns. For example if you want to look like Elvis you shave that way. I know this from my husband. (R.I.P.)

flemeister
May 1st, 2015, 05:52 AM
The hair around my sideburns are three types, layered from top to bottom:

1) head hair, loooong :)
2) head hair with a short terminal length
3) beard hair

The divide between 2 and 3 is fairly distinct at about the middle of my ear on each side, 2 being straight hair and 3 being thicker and coarser.

That's why I was thinking of just letting my beard/facial hair grow so I won't worry about cutting off hair from my head but I'm not too fond of the way beards look. It's a possibility that I might grow it out and these questions won't matter, but for now, I will continue shaving and cutting.

I give mine a quick 5 minute buzz with number 2 clippers every 2~3 weeks. Sure beats shaving every day, and still keeps it from getting too long. Could also use number 1 clippers once a week for a shorter look.

bte
May 1st, 2015, 07:50 AM
There is a difference in texture between head hair ("hair") and facial hair ("beard"). The dividing line is usually round about level with the opening in the ear. Once you have made the division and the small area of head hair has grown even to about an inch, it will be strightforward to shave the beard hair without trimming the head hair. Good luck and happy growing!

Anje
May 1st, 2015, 08:30 AM
I think on my hubby, the dividing line where the hair changes is more or less where the top-front part of the ear meets the head. That's pretty loose, though -- he's got beardish hairs going well up into the head hair, and there's at least one determined little head hair follicle sitting on the helix of his ear. XD

gthlvrmx
May 1st, 2015, 10:27 AM
I think it's a matter of what you want to create. For men sideburns and hair line is something you can play pretty much with. You can create your own line with or without sideburns. For example if you want to look like Elvis you shave that way. I know this from my husband. (R.I.P.)
Well, I haven't shaved my sideburns to the top of my ear for years now! I think I shave it up to where the ear hole is. Thanks!

3) beard hair

The divide between 2 and 3 is fairly distinct at about the middle of my ear on each side, 2 being straight hair and 3 being thicker and coarser.

I give mine a quick 5 minute buzz with number 2 clippers every 2~3 weeks. Sure beats shaving every day, and still keeps it from getting too long. Could also use number 1 clippers once a week for a shorter look.
Yes I see that beard hair is much more coarse.

There is a difference in texture between head hair ("hair") and facial hair ("beard"). The dividing line is usually round about level with the opening in the ear. Once you have made the division and the small area of head hair has grown even to about an inch, it will be strightforward to shave the beard hair without trimming the head hair. Good luck and happy growing!
The hair that is around the same length or area where the hole of my ear is, is about 1 inch long. That's the sideburn I guess.

I think on my hubby, the dividing line where the hair changes is more or less where the top-front part of the ear meets the head. That's pretty loose, though -- he's got beardish hairs going well up into the head hair, and there's at least one determined little head hair follicle sitting on the helix of his ear. XD
OK I think i have a better idea of where my sideburns are at! I just felt some hair at the top front part of my ear area that is not even as long as my sideburns, I think that may be the hairline then. Thanks everyone!

gthlvrmx
May 1st, 2015, 10:27 AM
Well, I haven't shaved my sideburns to the top of my ear for years now! I think I shave it up to where the ear hole is. Thanks!

3) beard hair

Yes I see that beard hair is much more coarse.

The hair that is around the same length or area where the hole of my ear is, is about 1 inch long. That's the sideburn I guess.

OK I think i have a better idea of where my sideburns are at! I just felt some hair at the top front part of my ear area that is not even as long as my sideburns, I think that may be the hairline then. Thanks everyone!