View Full Version : henna to black to platinum blonde?

KlrJJJJ
April 30th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Hi, I have been using lush's caca rouge for three years now. About four months ago I decided I wanted my hair black, so I bought the caca noir and was very dissatisfied with the outcome. My hair just got browner and browner and I didn't like it so I dyed my hair black with commercial dye. It didn't damage my hair at all and it has faded just a little bit. My hair has been black for a month now and I like it, but it is not who I am. I have always really loved platinum blonde hair and I think it would look very good on me with my white skin and my bright personality. I tried on a wig the other day and I really did enjoy the color on me. But how would I do this with all the black dye and henna remnants in my hair??? My natural hair color is blonde, but it is VERY long, and I don't want to destroy it. What is best for me to do?
(I am unaware of how to upload pictures, but I would like my hair to look a lot like Narylfiel Nymph (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCReUQnIhs4S6lDrOuhd0XZQ)'s platinum blonde hair.)

ooglipoo
April 30th, 2015, 04:48 PM
I'm not an expert, but I think that would cause lots and lots of damage...

RavennaNight
April 30th, 2015, 05:42 PM
If you used anything containing indigo at any point to make your hair black, you will damage your hair and turn it green bleaching to platinum. Definitely sounds like a load of damage.

meteor
April 30th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Since you say that your hair has a few layers of henna and then black dye and is also VERY long, the best way to go about getting to platinum (like in the video you've linked) is to get a platinum wig.

Dye removing products and bleach would remove some of the pigment, but the henna is very permanent.
Also, I've just checked LUSH's website, and Caca Noir contains indigo as its first ingredient (https://www.lush.co.uk/products/noir). So if you are trying to go blonde from there, you'll encounter green color problems from indigo... :(
From this point, you can't get to platinum without massive damage, I'm afraid, sorry. :flower:

Rosetta
May 1st, 2015, 02:23 AM
^ Great advice otherwise (as usual), Meteor, but she did say she used Caca Rouge, not Caca Noir (and the Rouge doesn't contain indigo) :)

Katlette
May 1st, 2015, 01:18 PM
^ Great advice otherwise (as usual), Meteor, but she did say she used Caca Rouge, not Caca Noir (and the Rouge doesn't contain indigo) :)

OP said she also used Caca Noir, which, as Meteor said, has indigo as a main ingredient.

As for the original question, I agree with what everyone else has been saying. A couple of years ago I tried to bleach out henna (no indigo, just henna) and all I got was a brassy orange mess. I'm still dealing with the damage from that on my ends.

Anje
May 1st, 2015, 09:24 PM
I doubt there's any way you can do this and get satisfying results, OP. At best, you're looking at a lot of damage to try to get the henna out by bleaching. At worst, you end up with crumbling hair with an icky green cast to it from the indigo.

If you do decide to try it, take it slow. Don't try to bleach it there in one go. Do coat your hair liberally in coconut oil a few hours before and bleach the hair with the oil left in, to try to minimize the damage.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2015, 06:36 AM
Oh no, if there's indigo in there (meteor is right), then don't go there. The indigo is in your entire hair, if bleach touches that, and it will have to to go platinum, it will turn a blueish/green color (not pretty). You can't get that out with anything. The only thing that will cover it is dark (red tinted) dye. So I'd grow it out. There's no escaping the indigo.

Kherome
May 2nd, 2015, 07:28 AM
Nope, you'll have fried green hair.

Rosetta
May 2nd, 2015, 08:16 AM
OP said she also used Caca Noir, which, as Meteor said, has indigo as a main ingredient.

Oh I'm sorry, somehow I totally missed the noir there, just registered the "been using caca rouge for 3 years" and then the black commercial dye :oops: Thanks for pointing it out! :)

KlrJJJJ
May 2nd, 2015, 08:28 AM
:) Thank you for the advice, but I still have one question. I thought that indigo didn't stick to your hair... I thought the indigo stuck to the henna. An employee at Lush told me so. Before I used commercial dye, my hair would be jet black and then after ONE wash, it would just go back to that deep, deep brownish red. Are there any products I could use to get the henna/indigo out of my hair? I know it is never going to come completely out of my hair, but I am okay with my hair being a little bit strawberry blonde. (if that is even what it would look like?? XD I'm very uneducated with hair chemicals) But IF I did bleach my hair, how can the indigo mess with the bleach if the indigo never stays in my hair anyway? I have used indigo two times and it never stayed in my hair, within the next wash it was red. That is why I used the commercial dye. So, what is your advice?

KlrJJJJ
May 2nd, 2015, 08:34 AM
But I don't understand... I used commercial dye after I applied the indigo. Wouldn't it have turned green already? The indigo never stayed in my hair ever, it would wash out the very next day. I only tried indigo two times and I stopped b/c it didn't change my hair at all. So how could the bleach turn my hair green if there is no indigo in my hair? (or does it just seem that way?)
Thank you for helping me. c: I am just so uneducated with hair chemicals and I am trying to understand how it would all work...

lapushka
May 2nd, 2015, 08:39 AM
Only bleach can and *will* turn indigo green. That indigo fades is a bit of a myth, yes it might fade but it's never completely out of your hair to where it can't react with bleach the way it typically does. You don't have to believe us of course. You can be stubborn, if you want... but don't come crying that your hair is ruined after.

KlrJJJJ
May 2nd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Please don't be so harsh on me... I was just trying to understand the concept.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2015, 09:49 AM
Please don't be so harsh on me... I was just trying to understand the concept.

I'm sorry if that came across as "harsh" - wasn't my intention. But if we say on here, multiple times, that it will turn your hair green... trust me, it will. And no there's no removing indigo from your hair. You need to grow it out. :)

pastina
May 2nd, 2015, 09:59 AM
honestly, even if you hadn't used henna and indigo, going from black dye to platinum is incredibly damaging in and of itself. you would lose length regardless. i'm sorry to agree with everyone else, but there's really not a safe way to do this, aside from growing it out.

KlrJJJJ
May 2nd, 2015, 10:22 AM
Is there anything that could fade the henna and commercial dye that is in my hair?

Wavelength
May 2nd, 2015, 10:38 AM
Henna and indigo are both pretty permanent. There really isn't a way to "fade" or bleach it out without causing massive damage. I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear, but there's no miracle treatment that will do what you want.

Asking the same question using different words won't change that, I'm afraid.

Anje
May 2nd, 2015, 12:59 PM
Probably the best, easiest thing for you to do is stand test all this. Save up a big ball of shed hairs and bleach it. Temperature is important when bleaching, so you'll want to put it in your pocket. See how the result looks and feels.

KlrJJJJ
May 2nd, 2015, 07:08 PM
Probably the best, easiest thing for you to do is stand test all this. Save up a big ball of shed hairs and bleach it. Temperature is important when bleaching, so you'll want to put it in your pocket. See how the result looks and feels.

Thank you very much. :) That is a great idea! I just want my hair to fade back to its natural color, not platinum blonde. I was being a bit extreme, lol. I know it will never go back exactly, but I know I can get close. And I will most certainly take your advice with strand testing and the hair from my brush. Everyone was saying that henna/indigo never comes out of your hair, but I personally think that is an exaggeration. I spoke with many hair professionals today and spoke with the sellers of the henna I used to buy from and they all stated that any kind of bleach is much too strong of a chemical to not remove henna/indigo and that as long as the henna/indigo does not contain metallic salts, it wont turn green. B/c it is not the henna/indigo that may turn your hair green, it is the metallic salts that may be mixed with the ingredients that turn your hair green. So that makes me very happy. :) I just thought I would spread the word, lol. Thank you so much for your help and thanks for being nice to me. :P lol
You have the best ideas yet! I really would have never thought of the hairball thing. hehe

KlrJJJJ
May 2nd, 2015, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry if that came across as "harsh" - wasn't my intention. But if we say on here, multiple times, that it will turn your hair green... trust me, it will. And no there's no removing indigo from your hair. You need to grow it out. :)

I spoke with many hair professionals today and spoke with the sellers of the henna I used to buy from and they all stated that any kind of bleach is much too strong of a chemical to not remove henna/indigo and that as long as the henna/indigo does not contain metallic salts, it wont turn green. B/c it is not the henna/indigo that may turn your hair green, it is the metallic salts that may be mixed with the ingredients that turn your hair green. And Lush's henna/indigo does not contain metallic salts. So I am safe. :)

Anje
May 2nd, 2015, 07:16 PM
It's definitely indigo that turns green, though perhaps other compounds in impure "henna" mixtures do too. Still, testing a hairball is absolutely worth a try; Lush's henna products have a reputation around here for being weak and fading badly, so it's plausible that the indigo would have washed out of your hair enough to not pose a problem. And if it hasn't, well, at least it happened on a test hairball and not on your head!

Quasiquixotic
May 2nd, 2015, 07:27 PM
So I hennindigo my hair last February (eta: 2014). I got my hair to this color:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_0399_zpsteha2c6x.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_0399_zpsteha2c6x.jpg.html)

It faded pretty gradually, and without spamming the thread with millions of action shots, it looks like the indigo part is all gone, but I still don't dare try to color correct.

Here you can see my roots, about ear level in my pony tail. It has faded a lot. This photo is from this week or so.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_4486_zpsff00bnb3.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_4486_zpsff00bnb3.jpg.html)

And here it is in my bun, I think it makes for a rather cool effect. This one is also from this week.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_4580201_zpsfe77fp4f.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_4580201_zpsfe77fp4f.jpg.html)

I strand tested my hair in the beginning with low grade peroxide, it turned greenish. Nope, you could not PAY me to do that do my hair.

My advice is to get addicted to hair toys and wear your hair up for a year. It will be better then.

I'm sorry. Henna and Indigo are a marriage. And as I say in my siggy :scissors: is the only divorce option. :grouphug:

ETA: I was using straight ground herbs I mixed myself. No salts. No impurities.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 03:50 PM
I spoke with many hair professionals today and spoke with the sellers of the henna I used to buy from and they all stated that any kind of bleach is much too strong of a chemical to not remove henna/indigo and that as long as the henna/indigo does not contain metallic salts, it wont turn green. B/c it is not the henna/indigo that may turn your hair green, it is the metallic salts that may be mixed with the ingredients that turn your hair green. And Lush's henna/indigo does not contain metallic salts. So I am safe. :)

Well I'm sorry, but they don't know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:
Indigo will always turn green, even if it's pure indigo.

Your head of hair to risk... but I wouldn't take the chance. STRAND TEST!

Upside Down
May 4th, 2015, 01:48 AM
From what I understand and remember, indigo pigment is actually blue, not black. This is why you use it over henna which is dark red to give a base color and go dark brown. Indigo itself on light hair will mix with yellow from the hair and give a green color. This is even without bleach.
Obviously these are not primary colors mixing, but a general principle. Obviously I could be wrong. :lol:

Just strand test... Also, maybe strand test something like color Oops or similar?

two_wheels
May 4th, 2015, 05:00 AM
As someone who also saturated her hair with Lush henndigo- and tried multiple fading strategies including colour b4, commercial dyes, honey.... In my experience it is not going to happen. I could have got a little closer to dark blonde, I think, but my hair was already trashed.

I didn't want to hear that it was hopeless either. It is true, though. If I'd accepted that, I'd be 6 months ahead of where I am now- in the early stages of growing out, that's a lot.

By all means strand test. Don't trust the immediate result though. Quite often you will think you've removed henna only to see it darken back to orange after a few days or a week. many here have found this.

Honestly the lush employees don't know what they're talking about. Indigo is well documented for turning green with bleach; henna cannot be relied on to fade if you have used it multiple times. I think it's pretty scandalous actually that lush market this product as anything other than permanent.

I cut to pixie in 2012 and that was a great decision for me.

Kherome
May 4th, 2015, 06:57 AM
I think expecting the Lush employees to be experts on henna/indigo is a bit like expecting a Walmart employee to be a computer tech expert. Not happening.

renia22
May 4th, 2015, 08:43 AM

Have you done a search on this website for color removal? I recall there have been threads on the topic, but it will be tricky because you have done henna, indigo and dye. I do agree with what others have said, do not trust what the Lush employees are telling you, they are sales people and are trained to respond with certain answers, their products are sort of "mystery meat" anyways, and not as "natural" as they claim, and they do not know what they are talking about when it comes to henna. What they told you about their henna/ indigo and being able to bleach over it simply isn't true. The first ingredient in their henna is actually cocoa butter, so some people do report it not "sticking" as well as 100% pure henna (& only henna, with no additives) powder. And Indigo is it's own beast, I've heard people say there is no going back from indigo (my experience also, green hair :(, no joke, had to grow it out), but others have reported they were able to get it out.

Like others have said, definitely strand test any color removal methods, and if you don't have enough loose hair to do that, maybe just try any color removal methods on a small strand of hair on an underneath layer at the nape of your neck. Give it at least a week before judging it (the color may change after a few days) and look at it in various lights. Anyways, here are some threads talking about Color Oops, honey, heavy oilings, yogurt, vitamin c, etc:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=95825

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=77298

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85463&page=59

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56620

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20052

Katlette
May 8th, 2015, 12:43 PM

Did you end up going for the bleach? If so, I'd be curious to hear about the results. It'd be interesting to see if Lush indigo is weak enough to avoid the usual green effect.

radiofreejenn
May 8th, 2015, 01:50 PM
As someone who indigoed and then attempted to highlights on top, I can tell you from first hand experience it will turn green :(

Betazed
May 9th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Did you end up going for the bleach? If so, I'd be curious to hear about the results. It'd be interesting to see if Lush indigo is weak enough to avoid the usual green effect.

I'm also very curious to see how this turned out. I've been wondering about the aftermath for days.

lapushka
May 9th, 2015, 04:15 AM
I hope OP didn't go ahead and is now too ashamed to post. Don't be in that case, please! :)

Peonyrose
May 13th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Adding my 2 cents - A few years ago I wanted to remove henna from my hair, and used bleach. That it how I know indigo leaves a khaki tone after lifting the henna with bleach. I had used the Lush caca brun maybe twice about 8-12 months prior to processing my hair, and of course had forgotten I had done this as the indigo had all washed away... or so I thought....That took a few haircuts to fix!

lapushka
May 13th, 2015, 07:56 AM
The OP isn't responding anymore, looks like. I wonder why? :)

Betazed
May 13th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I hope OP didn't go ahead and is now too ashamed to post. Don't be in that case, please! :)

I think you got it here.

Note to OP: We've all screwed up our hair one way or another. If lapushka was right and you're ashamed, please don't be. We're all very understanding (for the most part).

Quasiquixotic
July 10th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Hugs to the OP. You have been on my mind. I'd love an update.

Aderyn
July 10th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I sure hope things didn't go terribly here..

Innerginger
July 10th, 2015, 10:57 PM
It could just be she got an answer and left.

applecinn
July 11th, 2015, 07:24 PM
In the past, many years ago, I tried bleaching henna and indigo (done as a two step, so my hair was very dark) and all I got as green that was so damaged it had to be cut. I've also tried to bleach just henna and never more than two sessions at the salon, I never got past orange. IMHO, what you have done to your hair will probably prevent you from going platinum. You may eventually get lighter and you may eventually get luck and enough of the Lush will fade for you to go a little lighter without green, but you will always have to test strand to know for sure.