PDA

View Full Version : Thinning ends but no split ends

tanchoulita
April 30th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I got my hair trimmed about 6-8 weeks ago and of course my hair grew about 1.3 inches back and it's back to where before I had it trimmed. The ends look thin and a bit dry. I'm not sure if it's because I re-layered the hair when I had it trimmed weeks ago. I'm not even sure if it's layered or tapered. I had hair stylists telling me it's the same thing and I also had hair stylists who told me they're not the same thing. I found this one site which is very useful but god, it's so annoying to go to different salons to find one who won't butchered my hair.

http://www.lllocks.com/taper-cuts-vs-layering.html

I'm going to get another hair trim this Sunday but I have NO idea what to do with my hair. My hair is down to my waist but like I said the ends are thin-looking now and I just want it to look fuller. Any suggestions?

Nadine <3
April 30th, 2015, 01:43 PM
That website was highly amusing.

Anyways, if you have old layers in your hair, this can make your hair look thin at the ends. You can do tiny frequent trims to slowly remove the layers and thicken up your ends. Now, most, if not all hair has some natural taper. It's just the way it is, hair gets thinner the longer down the length you go. You can do small frequent trims to thicken it up.It's hard to say without seeing your hair though, a picture would be helpful :)

lapushka
April 30th, 2015, 02:30 PM
It's hard to say without seeing your hair though, a picture would be helpful :)

This. ^^ Also, I wouldn't go for trims that frequent. It's totally unnecessary if you don't heat style, color or bleach it. Esp. if you are trying to grow it out, it's important to preserve as much length as possible. That you need trims every 4 to 8 weeks is a myth. It's only needed if you want to preserve a style and *not* grow.

cat11
May 1st, 2015, 11:59 AM
"Anemically thin women usually have anemically thin hair and sometimes get modeling jobs. Anemically thin women with thick long hair ( Victoria Secret types ) are very rare & usually marry successful attractive men. Except for females with thick hair, the back of your hair will look less impressive if scissor thinned anemically."

LOL

"In certain areas of the world, such as Scandinavia and Southern California, women predominantly have the the thin limp flat hair of a 12 year old. "

double lol plenty of people in these areas have gorgeous hair

also "trailer park hair"! This site is so blatantly opinionated. Their choise of adjectives is also pretty funny. I totally beleive that some stylists dont know what real layering is though!

OP, I agree with Nadine, if You slowly get small trims the ends will get fuller!! HTH. I am almost done growing out layered ends. Good luck!

endlessly
May 1st, 2015, 12:07 PM
Without seeing a picture, it's a bit hard to tell. Like Nadine said, older layers can make your hair appear thinner, and it does take quite some time to grow out layers - it took me 6 years, for example. Re-layering the hair will definitely make your ends appear thinner because you're losing huge portions of length to give you the layered look.

Basically, if you want your ends to look fuller, you have to get rid of the layers and only have one length - that's honestly the only way. From then on, you'll need microtrims to tidy up the ends and help combat splits and breakage in order to maintain one length.

lunalocks
May 2nd, 2015, 12:42 AM
forget the layers. And have your hairdresser cut your hem without notching it. By notching - don't even know if that is the term - I mean using the scissors held vertically pointed up to snip little notches in the hem so it will not appear to be just cut straight across. I saw my hairdresser do this to my daughter's hair. Necessary for it to look good at shorter lengths, but at waist and beyond, the ends usually are already a bit thinner and the softness happens naturally.

Arctic
May 2nd, 2015, 07:56 AM
forget the layers. And have you hairdresser cut you hem without notching it. By notching - don't even know if that is the term - I mean using the scissors held vertically pointed up to snip little notches in the hem so it will not appear to be just cut straight across. I saw my hairdresser do this to my daughters hair. Necessary for it to look good at shorter lengths, but at waist and beyond, the ends usually are already a bit thinner and the softness happens naturally.

I belive that's called point cutting. :flower: