PDA

View Full Version : Haircut!!! Big chop!!! What do you think?

Amber_Maiden
April 29th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Hey All! Some of you will still remember me :) I haven't died. :rolleyes:

I'm planning to change up my hair. It reached a little longer then Classic length this past winter. I had it trimmed to lower back in March, but now I'm planning an entire overhaul.

Taking care of it while pregnant is hard (I'm 7 months); it knots itself within a day, and dreadlocks itself, create nests, etc... I also just sometimes am too exhausted to brush it (I have a 3 year old who I chase around all day). It's also getting curlier, and with each pregnancy it does. So... I figured if I'm not taking care of it now, I might as well chop it, rather than deal with the agony of brushing it out every few days.... it just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

To be honest, I'm also growing out black hair dye (that a professional stylist oopsed on a year ago... black is NOT light brown), and have been demi-dying my hair so I can eventually grow out the permanent dye (I have about 3inches of demi-dye now).

So I booked myself with a celebrity hair stylist in Toronto (Bill Angst, he also writes for a fashion mag in Canada) for three weeks from now, and will hopefully be hacking most of it off (unless he doesn't think it's a good idea... in which case I will trust him).

Here's what I'm considering going for:
If you have Pinterest, this is my board of what I'll be going for (https://www.pinterest.com/ofwolvesroses/haircut/). (https://www.pinterest.com/ofwolvesroses/haircut/)
If you don't have Pinterest, here's a pic here (http://www.hairworldmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/wavy-shoulder-length-hair-cut-for-thin-hair1.jpeg).

The picture in the avatar is me.
What do you guys think? Will it suit me?

I have such thick hair... and it's so curly/wavy that there's not many styles that will work on me. It's also very dry. I also wanted something that would grow out nicely, and that I could still stick in a top knot/bun.

HOWEVER, I'm also terrified because I haven't had my hair that short since I looked like a boy at 13.... and am worried about looking WAY too old. I like looking young- just not 10 years younger. Looking 23 would be great though. I could deal with that (23 is not my age, I'm closer to 30).

So... I just need thoughts and opinions... and support... Since chopping is a huge deal to me, and to many of you.

divinedobbie
April 29th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Hi!

I do remember you, actually when I saw your name I thought to myself "isn't that the girl who reminds me of laura prepon from orange is the new black". Yes it is haha :)

Good to see you back. And I have to quietly admit that as much as I love growing out hair and long lengths, it's a breath of fresh air and a fun change when someone posts about cutting and a new hair style. I think it'll suit you and you can always grow it out if you don't like it.

I know that many will tell you about the two week rule but I'm certain you've already considered that and it sounds like you know what you're getting into and you want to do this. So embrace it and have a lovely time with the celebrity stylist!!

Auni
April 29th, 2015, 01:43 PM
As a mother of 3, I can sympathize! That being said, I found that cutting my hair shorter, which I did after the birth of my first son, required more up keep. The length your going for could still be pulled back though, so that's a plus! Your very pretty and the cuts you posted should look nice on you! Personally, I would get a cut I could still throw in a bun or braid, but that's just me and my wavy, curly, whurly mane.:blossom:

starfire
April 29th, 2015, 01:44 PM
You have a very pretty face. I think you can make pretty much any hairstyle look good on you to be honest. With thick hair, I wouldn't go too short (wider than the length is something I'd try to avoid).
The pictures you posted all look very nice on the individuals, but I guarantee they took lots of styling (time and product). If you're too tired to brush out your hair, I don't think you're going to want to spend time styling a shorter style. I'd be sure to discuss this with your stylist to make sure whatever cut you get is "wash and go."

lapushka
April 29th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Here's what I'm considering going for:
If you have Pinterest, this is my board of what I'll be going for (https://www.pinterest.com/ofwolvesroses/haircut/). (https://www.pinterest.com/ofwolvesroses/haircut/)
If you don't have Pinterest, here's a pic here (http://www.hairworldmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/wavy-shoulder-length-hair-cut-for-thin-hair1.jpeg).

The picture in the avatar is me.
What do you guys think? Will it suit me?

I think you'd be better to try and find someone with your thickness and texture (2b) and find examples of that short. This is 1c hair at the most, and fine, rather thinnish hair. It will look *totally* different on you. It might look the same when leaving the stylist (because they'll have it look like that), but... I'd try and find your texture/thickness in that length.

Calaelen
April 29th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Hi Amber_Maiden. Long time no see!
As a stylist myself, I think what you are aiming for will work nicely with your face, but the result will be different than most pics will show you because your hair is so thick.. I am betting Bill Angst will be able to do magic. It sounds as though you really need a cut to be able to handle your hair right now. The good thing about hair, it grows steadily so long as you are healthy.

It's a hard thing trying to get die hard longhair out of my head, because I am still "ALL FOR THE LENGTH!" That said, I think based on what you're saying that this cut makes sense for you, and I hope you LOVE the result. You are definitely a striking beauty and of course a hair cut isn't going to change that!

Zesty
April 29th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Hey! No lie, I was just thinking about my early LHC days and wondered what happened to you. Glad to see you back. :)

I think any haircut would look good on you, and the examples on your board are very cute, though they might not look 100% the same on your head. I don't think it would make you look old at all! I think it would be an easy style to grow out, and would get rid of a lot of dyed length. Maybe since your hair is thick and has some curl you could get it cut a little longer, to make sure that you can still put it in a bun like you said? Like maybe APLish rather than shoulder? Though I understand wanting to take advantage of that salon visit.

Do what makes you happy and keep us updated!

DreamSheep
April 29th, 2015, 04:49 PM
If your hair is very thick - maybe err on the longer side.
Many of the pinterest photos look very heatstyled - and I'm guessing you won't want to spend time doing that.
Unless your hairstylist is very good with thinning out thick hair, maybe go for BSL (at that length, even thick hair will not pouff out and have shape), and you could then go shorter if you preferred. :)
Still, at BSL it is easier to tie back because there aren't any escapey bits.

That said, your hair is gorgeous <3 So whatever you do, will look great on you :) My comments are more thinking about the "comfort" of hair in mind

pastina
April 29th, 2015, 05:48 PM
omg, not helpful, but the first picture on your pinterest-- the one with the caption "simple" --is one of my best friends! she was in my wedding! <3

eta-- she'd be pleased to hear she's finally made it into david bowie's tights.

gthlvrmx
April 29th, 2015, 06:04 PM
It's a very pretty length to have if you cut it, but whatever floats your boat! Just remember, it won't be as easy to put all of your hair up in a braid or bun in one move. Still pretty though!

-Fern
April 29th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I also have iii hair, though 2a rather than 2b like you... and my waves get much more pronounced when my hair is shorter. And by pronounced, I mean "unmanageable." But that was also before I found LHC, and it is a really cute do--and I think you could absolutely rock it. I would suggest trying for APL or CBL first and then trimming up to shoulder-length if it's behaving itself.

Amber_Maiden
April 29th, 2015, 06:15 PM
haha! Thank you all!!!

Definitely have a lot to think about. Agree completely that the pictures on my board are all styled... bah... and I'm not one to do that (besides some leave in curl conditioner or something similar). I also don't use a blow dryer or heat style, ever. I pretty much only wash my hair once a week... though I'm not sure I could get away with that at a shorter length! Have a lot to consider in terms of what length I want t go for- basically want to get my money's worth because my hair also grows so fast... booo

Breanna
April 29th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I've always loved all the styles like the ones you pinned, they look very youthful and trendy and will most definitely look super cute on you!

Kitten1030
April 29th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Don't kill me. I always think of that haircut as the " mom" cut. It looks really pretty in all those pictures but everybody is styled and model pretty. On the other hand you are model pretty so it would look awesome on you. When I had my first I did the "mom" and regretted it because it was just a little to short to put way up and out of the way of life and little tangly baby fingers. Also wavy hair mushrooms at that length. On the other other hand, I often fantasize about cutting to there myself. It probably feels so liberating after having long tangly misbehaving hair. But then hair toys... I am probably no help. I'm sure whatever you decide will look lovely. If not, with a new baby and a toddler in the house you will be too tired to give a rat's fanny about your hair :laugh:

texangrrl
April 30th, 2015, 07:31 AM
I've had shorter hair at that length before and it was more upkeep to keep it styled than long hair. Just something to think about. It's a super cute cut though!! :)

AimeeMarie
April 30th, 2015, 07:57 AM
I have a similiar cut. I think I even had some of the same pics pinned that I took in! It is really cute when I style it into that messy wavy bob by waving it with a hot iron. You sound like you are ready to cut though and it is not a bad cut to grow it, keep the layers longer, make sure to ask if she is going to texturize it because many of these cuts are and you may not like that.

*ReiKa*
April 30th, 2015, 08:39 AM
I agree with Kitten1030, I think most of these haircuts don't freshen up your look as everybody says. I've seen people with long/longish hair cutting it to this lenght and I thought they actually looked older with that. I always suggest a BSL lenght if someone has had enough of long hair.
That said, you look really pretty from your avatar and you have good chances to pull off a haircut like that. Not sure how easy it's going to be, just have a good chat with your hairdresser to make sure it's gonna be easy to tie back!
Good luck!! :)

turtlelover
April 30th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I have wavy hair, and I thought this length was a more of a pain than the current almost APL that I am at now. I like being able to have 2nd day hair and like being able to put it up without pieces falling out all the time. Shoulder length felt to me like having all the disadvantages of short hair with none of the advantages. It took a lot more styling, but it was still on my neck all the time in the summer, and took almost as long as APL hair to dry.

Wusel
April 30th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I did this.
I had very long hair and cut it to exactly this cut when my son was 3.
AND I REGRET IT SO MUCH!!!
It's not practical, looks shi**y ALWAYS when you don't spend hours of time in the bathroom!!!
Like an exploded toilet brush!!!
And you look like a typical mom.
Like everyone else.
NOTHING SPECIAL.
And you look OLDER!
And you need SO MUCH TIME and product to make it look decent...
I had this. Go on my YT channel and see.
I HATED IT!
DON'T DO IT!
That's what I recommend you.
From the heart and from my own experience.

KittyBird
April 30th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I've had cuts like that and I really like them. I think you'd look gorgeous with that cut. However, seeing as you're an iii, I think it's too short to bun. I never managed more than a stubby little ponytail when my hair was that short, even when it was thinned out or layered. I think you'll probably need bsl hair, or at least apl to be able to bun it easily.
As for styling your waves/curls, maybe you could do it overnight? Rag curls are fairly comfortable to sleep on. I also find that half-ups are great for taming thick, wavy hair and reducing the triangle-head effect. :)

spidermom
April 30th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Please do stress to the stylist that it needs to be wash and wear, and it needs to be long enough to pull completely off face and neck. Some babies are hair grabbers no matter how many times you catch their hands and say "no". I had 2 of them and ended up with pixies because I had no time. They were wash, run gelled fingers through, and go.

Wusel
April 30th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I've always loved all the styles like the ones you pinned, they look very youthful and trendy and will most definitely look super cute on you!

No... they look boring.

Lyv
April 30th, 2015, 11:41 AM
I think it would look good but you may have to have it thinned or go a little longer so you have a little more weight to it. I have pretty thick wavy hair and that's what I went for with a previous cut and it looked really good. I didn't have to do much to it because I already have the wave so it was pretty wash and go for me. It's not boring it's a really cute cut if you can pull it off (and you definitely can)

lapushka
April 30th, 2015, 11:49 AM
I've had cuts like that and I really like them. I think you'd look gorgeous with that cut. However, seeing as you're an iii, I think it's too short to bun. I never managed more than a stubby little ponytail when my hair was that short, even when it was thinned out or layered. I think you'll probably need bsl hair, or at least apl to be able to bun it easily.
As for styling your waves/curls, maybe you could do it overnight? Rag curls are fairly comfortable to sleep on. I also find that half-ups are great for taming thick, wavy hair and reducing the triangle-head effect. :)

I needed at least waist/hip for a LWB, and that's the first bun you can easily do, even before a cinnabun.

KittyBird
April 30th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I needed at least waist/hip for a LWB, and that's the first bun you can easily do, even before a cinnabun.
The first bun I learned to do was the cinnabun, and I managed to do it at waist. :shrug: I'm pretty sure it's also possible to do sock buns at shorter lengths, and there's always the peacock twist with a claw clip.. :)

lapushka
April 30th, 2015, 12:15 PM
The first bun I learned to do was the cinnabun, and I managed to do it at waist. :shrug: I'm pretty sure it's also possible to do sock buns at shorter lengths, and there's always the peacock twist with a claw clip.. :)

My coil went round exactly once at waist/hip (sorta that length), but it sagged, whereas a LWB stayed put and it coiled around a few times more, because it is a more centerheld bun.

going gray
April 30th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Hello,
Just wanted to put in my "2 cents" Don't do it! Maybe a trim, a few inches off the length, but no more? Back in the "stone age" when I had my first child, I immediately went to a salon & had my wonderful long hair chopped to a pixie, it ended up giving more grief & work than simply wearing my hair up. I wanted a new look & easy carefree hair, it turned out to be just the opposite!

Darrin
April 30th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Hi,

I would trim no shorter than mid back first and leave it all one length. ( no layers). This way, if you do have some regret, you can grow it back. However, it is your decision and I wish you the best.

Darrin

Darrin
April 30th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I would only trim a little at first. You can always trim more at a later date.

Darrin

RavennaNight
April 30th, 2015, 03:39 PM
My only concern is your hair's thickness. When I cut my hair short back in 2006, it was very hard to prevent triangle head, and my hair isn't as thick as yours. It was a lot of work keeping it down and tame. That said, in 2006 my hair was fried within an inch of it's life, so wiry, frizzy, difficult to manage it was. As it grew out to shoulder, the triangle got really worse, and until I got past the awkward length I looked weird. I Need the weight of length to keep it down. Good luck, all the styles you chose are cute. If they work for you then that's awesome.

Ingrid
April 30th, 2015, 05:08 PM
This is definitely not a wash-and-wear style... You'd probably have to straighten your hair first, and then use a flat iron to achieve the waves.

meteor
April 30th, 2015, 07:53 PM
haha! Thank you all!!!

Definitely have a lot to think about. Agree completely that the pictures on my board are all styled... bah... and I'm not one to do that (besides some leave in curl conditioner or something similar). I also don't use a blow dryer or heat style, ever. I pretty much only wash my hair once a week... though I'm not sure I could get away with that at a shorter length! Have a lot to consider in terms of what length I want t go for- basically want to get my money's worth because my hair also grows so fast... booo

Hmm, well, the styles on that pinterest board are heavily styled - there was clearly some styling product used and probably curlers or a curling iron for the waves, too.

Shorter hair seems to require more upkeep and more frequent washing (at least it did on me), especially if you use styling products (and this haircut does need something like a gel/mousse/spray/...).

Also, kids can grab any hair longer than a pixie so having enough length to bun is obviously useful in this case.

^ Those are just some of the things I'd consider before taking the plunge.

That haircut is definitely cute. But your own hair is simply drop-dead gorgeous! :D

Fantak
May 1st, 2015, 07:17 AM
I think you're beautiful and can pull off anything you want.

I agree with the posters that said since you hair is so thick you may want to err on the side of long..

Definitely see the stylist and see what he says, I'm sure you'll explain your lifestyle, issues, etc so that will make it easier for you both to make a decision.

A friend of mine once gave me a word of advise that I think makes sense.. whatever length you go make sure that at the end of the day you can tie it in a ponytail. That way no matter how you feel about it you can have it up and out of the way until you are happier with it.

Good luck :D

NB: If it's the tangles that get to you have you tried braiding it? I know I can braid it and leave it for 3 days in the same braid (embarrassing I know) and have it be relatively tangle-free when I unbraid it. I have fine hair that easily tangles and likes escaping my braid so I'm sure with your thicker surlier hair you'll have much better luck!

kitcatsmeow
May 1st, 2015, 08:16 AM
Hey girl! Wow it's been a while. First...congrats on the little one :D Second, I think that cut would look beautiful on you but keep in mind, if it's getting curlier, when you cut it will remove weight and make those curls spring even more! This coming from experience. I just chopped to APL and my gosh is it curly. lol.

Synnovea
May 1st, 2015, 08:59 AM
Although I haven't been around much lately either, I've wondered where you went, Amber. I'm glad yo see that you're well. I've got to be honest--I've always adored your hair and your overall look. I would be sad to see your hair go, but this isn't about me. Do what makes you happy; however, as others mentioned, I'd also suggest cutting back a bit at a time to prevent a major upset in case a big hack is too radical of a change for you.

pastina
May 1st, 2015, 01:13 PM
So, I asked my friend for you about what goes into her hair's upkeep, since she's one of the girls on your pinterest board.

She has a LOT of hair, so she said she washes it and lets it air dry while wearing a skull cap so it doesn't fluff up too big. If there are any pieces that are frizzy or have dried strange around her face, she will use a flat iron, but no heat otherwise. She says she uses a little of a salt spray for her waves as its drying, but that's her natural texture.

She also told me that she asks for a blunt cut about an inch above shoulder length when she gets it cut--- no layers or face frame. And no hi lights.