PDA

View Full Version : Hair hacks (elastics)

lapushka
April 29th, 2015, 09:18 AM
If ever you wondered how to get these little (devil) silicone elastics out, these are 5 ways to do it without damaging your hair!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq02jshH96k

LongCurlyTress
April 29th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Great video! Thanks for posting! ;)

Nadine <3
April 29th, 2015, 10:49 AM
When I use those little silicone ones I rub a little bit of coconut or olive oil on them. Just like with a condom, oil doesn't play nice with them and they break.

swearnsue
April 29th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Those tools really worked good and those elastics were in really tight too. But that razor comb kinda freaked me out a bit! LOL.

DreamSheep
April 29th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks for sharing! You always find such treasures lapushka!
I don't actually own any silicon bands, but I had been wondering whether it was worth investing in any...

Nadine <3
April 29th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I don't actually own any silicon bands, but I had been wondering whether it was worth investing in any...

You can get 500 of them for a dollar at the dollar store and they last for years. I've had the same package for well over 2 years now. They can eat ends if you're not super careful not to put them in too tight and take them out gently.

lapushka
April 29th, 2015, 02:07 PM

I try. ;)

I don't think they're bad, but I wouldn't exactly put them in as tight as the lady did with her daughter in the video.

yahirwaO.o
April 29th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Those silicone things give me the creeps everytime!!! :tmi: Those can eat ends and hair so bad, maybe I got a pack of crappy ones and lord knows how careful i am removing elastics from my hair, but still got caught and friction was plain bad.... and some of those methods made a good job but look a bit frightning too

I would prefer to go with a metal band anytime, but none of those are currenty used. Cotton small baby ones and big satin srunchies are the only ones for me. :cool:

Zesty
April 29th, 2015, 04:15 PM

They're super inexpensive, like Nadine <3 said, so I'd say they're worth a try. I find them useful for sectioned braided styles, like Heidi braids and double dutch braids pinned up, etc. I guess even half your thickness would laugh at a bitty elastic though. If you wanted to do a (head-eating, on you) braid wheel or something, you'd probably want them. For me, little elastics and regular U-pins opened up a lot of styling options for very cheap.

DreamSheep
April 29th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Oh! If they are that cheap I may keep an eye out for them! Thanks for the suggestions!! ^_^

MandyBeth
April 29th, 2015, 09:35 PM
I have lost so much thickness, these are I use. Even the small normal bands need 8-10 twists around to hold a braid end. A silicone elastic at twice around to me seems less damaging. However, I won't use them on my daughters, their curly hair tangles badly around the thin silicone.

But as Nadine said, I do use oil to remove them. Rub a bit on, ignore for a bit and it'll fall apart.

hanne jensen
April 30th, 2015, 04:22 AM
I just break them. I have a tub of 1000 small silicone elastics that are dirt cheap.

browneyedsusan
April 30th, 2015, 05:58 AM
When I use those little silicone ones I rub a little bit of coconut or olive oil on them. Just like with a condom, oil doesn't play nice with them and they break.
I can't believe I didn't know this?!!
I am SO doing that! I like how they blend in with my hair better, but they were so damaging to take out.