PDA

View Full Version : Start growing length or trim until matched?

missrandie
April 29th, 2015, 08:05 AM
So, at this point, I am getting anxious to start growing my length back. I am still in the pixie class, but the layers have gotten much longer, and the strands on the very top now finally touch my ears. My bangs now reach the bottom of my nose with a couple hairs brushing my top lip.

The little pieces on the sides are the same length as my nape hairs, and the back is about an inch and a half from joining the nape hairs.

At this point, I am debating whether to keep trimming the nape until everything matches, THEN start putting on length, or to just let the mullet flourish and wind up trimming it to a softly blunted end later.

Other factors: still need to look somewhat professional, and summer in San Antonio is coming and it gets nasty hot.

What would you do?

spidermom
April 29th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I would keep it trimmed up. When I was growing out a pixie, I had a trim about every other month to keep it shaped up. My stylist knew that my goal was long hair so she never trimmed much - just enough to keep it looking like a layered style instead of a growing-out "mess".

cat11
April 29th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Since your hair is so short, I would even it out first. It wont take long and then it'll look nicer growing out.

Starbunny
May 7th, 2015, 09:23 PM
I've done both (trimming up to nearly one length and just letting the mullet be free) and I have to say I like both for different reasons. I may prefer the mullet as I have wavy hair that can flip out in a cute way and I get length more quickly. If I trim it up, it appears more "put together" for a while, but the chin-length-bob phase is hideous on me, so I usually get frustrated by that time. I'd say it depends on your hair type and natural styling abilities.

Nique1202
May 8th, 2015, 04:21 AM
If you let it all grow out evenly at this point, you can start practicing french and dutch twin braids. They might look a LITTLE bit more young than professional but they'll keep the hair contained and as more of the nape grows out, you'll be able to include more in the braid tail and keep it off your neck. You'll also be able to ponytail once the front gets down around chin, and having a longer nape will allow that hair to stay in instead of poking out underneath and looking unprofessional. Hairbands, if you can find some that stay on your head and aren't painful, will hide how short the front is and make the back just look like choppy layers if you want to wear it down but not look mullet-y.

Hurven
May 8th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I would trim it until the hair has grown into an even length. I think that would make growing your hair more enjoyable. :)

missrandie
May 8th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks, everybody! I appreciate the advice! Continued trims it is.. until August :) By rights, it should be even enough by then.