PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one....

mzlbcmami
April 28th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Who dreads washing their hair? It's such a pain because it's so thick. I use a TON of my co wash. I usually wash my hair about every 4 days or sometimes even longer. I'd make a good cat, because I really don't like getting wet at all. :couch:

Ingrid
April 28th, 2015, 07:25 PM
I think I know how you're feeling. I was planning on washing my hair today, but... ehhhhh. It's so heavy, there's so much of it, and it takes SO long to dry. I especially hate getting it wet in cold weather.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 28th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I like washing it - I just don't like drying it - it takes so long and the weather is getting colder now. I don't like using hair dryers either.

maborosi
April 28th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Nope, I don't blame you. Sometimes it's just too overwhelming. My hair's getting to the point now where I only wash every other day because it really is too much to sit there and air dry it for however many hours it decides to take.

Plus I go through SO MUCH CONDITIONER. (Though less now that I use mineral oil) My mom thinks I'm crazy when she sees the empty bottles in the recycling. :lol: I've gotten a bit self-conscious

NitaB
April 28th, 2015, 08:23 PM
My hair is just a hassle to get wet, and I'm lazy. Although the NW/SO thread has some great information. Based on that, I have stretched my washes two weeks (this is my current record) without it looking like crap. If you really hate washing, then stretching might be a good way to go (assuming your scalp can handle it)

ositarosita
April 28th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I like washing it - I just don't like drying it - it takes so long and the weather is getting colder now. I don't like using hair dryers either.

Here here, washing it feels great i love the scalp massages and the smell of my S&C but drying takes forever and I HATE having cold wet hair hanging down my back.

So now I only wash my hair every 7-14 days, I literally go as long as possible then when I get to the point where I know I have to wash it, I only my scalp and wait a few more days. I'm currently using up my stash so I can transition to WO and wash even less.

Nadine <3
April 28th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I don't mind the washing part, it's the drying part that drives me mad. Left down it gets my back and furniture wet, but if I stick it in a bun it will still be wet until I take it down. It will dry after a few hours in a braid, but I don't get pretty braid waves I just get crimped hair that likes to tangle. Oh, and I hate the freezing part of taking a shower in the winter and then having wet hair for 4 hours. Not very fun.

meteor
April 28th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Who dreads washing their hair? It's such a pain because it's so thick. I use a TON of my co wash. I usually wash my hair about every 4 days or sometimes even longer. I'd make a good cat, because I really don't like getting wet at all. :couch:

I'm a bit like that, too.
Also, my hair takes forever to dry and looks super-poofy on the first couple days, and I tend to get more compliments on unfresh hair anyway. :oops: It could be a hairtype thing or a relatively dry scalp thing (it takes quite a while for my roots to get oily).

You might want to look into things like:
- stretching washes with dry shampoos;
- scalp only washes: with hair braided (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo) or partial scalp-only wash with hair bunned (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc) under shower cap (I do this in-between full washes - takes 5 min in the sink and dries super-fast);
- washing hair in braids (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129718) (I do it with 4 braids - awesome for giving full access to scalp when you have thick hair and helps prevent some tangles, and it's easier/faster, too)
HTH! :flower:

ZoSo
April 28th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Yup. 20 mins spent messing with my hair at least. I also have to use a pretty big lump of expensive cond. Then all the sheds to clean up.

divinedobbie
April 28th, 2015, 10:06 PM
I don't mind the washing part, it's the drying part that drives me mad. Left down it gets my back and furniture wet, but if I stick it in a bun it will still be wet until I take it down. It will dry after a few hours in a braid, but I don't get pretty braid waves I just get crimped hair that likes to tangle. Oh, and I hate the freezing part of taking a shower in the winter and then having wet hair for 4 hours. Not very fun.

I can maybe understand when people with really long and thick hair take 4 hours to dry but I kind of thought me and you would be the same. My hair only takes an hour!! Do you comb your hair when wet? Maybe it's my fine tooth combing that separates every strand so they dry faster. I won't comb tomorrow and see how long it takes but I'm sure it'll only add an extra half hour max.

divinedobbie
April 28th, 2015, 10:07 PM
By the way though, I absolutely love washing my hair and always look forward to it. Makes stretching washes difficult and unpleasant.

Nadine <3
April 28th, 2015, 10:16 PM
I can maybe understand when people with really long and thick hair take 4 hours to dry but I kind of thought me and you would be the same. My hair only takes an hour!! Do you comb your hair when wet? Maybe it's my fine tooth combing that separates every strand so they dry faster. I won't comb tomorrow and see how long it takes but I'm sure it'll only add an extra half hour max.

Haha, my hair used to dry in about a half hour, but since I started using the oil rinse method and not touching while it dries it takes WAY longer. I could get it to dry faster just by combing it, but I'm trying to see if only detangling dry will help my split ends. It has been great for my waves, but it takes so long to let it drip dry.

starfire
April 28th, 2015, 10:58 PM
It's a chore and I'm lazy. I would much rather be sleeping :\

littlestarface
April 28th, 2015, 11:07 PM

ditto. im lazy and id rather be doing other things like playing on my phone while laying in my electric blanket

mzlbcmami
April 28th, 2015, 11:16 PM
I'm a bit like that, too.
Also, my hair takes forever to dry and looks super-poofy on the first couple days, and I tend to get more compliments on unfresh hair anyway. :oops: It could be a hairtype thing or a relatively dry scalp thing (it takes quite a while for my roots to get oily).

You might want to look into things like:
- stretching washes with dry shampoos;
- scalp only washes: with hair braided (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo) or partial scalp-only wash with hair bunned (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc) under shower cap (I do this in-between full washes - takes 5 min in the sink and dries super-fast);
- washing hair in braids (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129718) (I do it with 4 braids - awesome for giving full access to scalp when you have thick hair and helps prevent some tangles, and it's easier/faster, too)
HTH! :flower:

Oh, fun fun! Haven't heard of all those techniques. :)

mzlbcmami
April 28th, 2015, 11:17 PM

Haha i hear u on that!!

hanne jensen
April 29th, 2015, 12:59 AM
I love the feeling of newly washed hair but hate the process. I hate wet hair hanging down my back. In the shower it's starting to feel uncomfortable when my hair is dripping wet. It feels like I have a ton dragging on my scalp. I'm only MBL.

catasa
April 29th, 2015, 01:13 AM
I donīt have thick hair and I also donīt CO-wash any longer, so I apologize in advance for sticking my head up where I donīt really belong :couch: but I just wanted to ask, regarding the amount of conditioner used to wash, if maybe diluting it would be something to try if you havenīt already? I canīt remember trying that myself when I CO-washed, but I do dilute my shampoo nowadays and it can really be diluted quite much before the washing capacity feels diminished, even though I use a mild SLS-free one. I imagine that it could be the same with conditioners, at least when they are used for washing, and it should be easier to distribute diluted. :blossom:

spirals
April 29th, 2015, 01:29 AM
It's not that washing is difficult, but it does mean I have to either airdry--hello, Tangle City--or allow 8 hours absolute minimum for a curler set to dry (and closer to 10 hours, really). That takes planning, and I get annoyed when my scalp wants me to wash when I don't have time for the other drama. So I would rather go longer in between.

Calypso
April 29th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Although I do hate having cold wet hair down my back, I always look forward to washing just because I love the feeling of having clean, healthy hair. :) I love oiling it beforehand as well, the smell of the vatika coconut oil is so soothing and it feels kind of therapeutic.

lapushka
April 29th, 2015, 05:16 AM
Have you tried sectioning? My hair isn't actually sectioned, but it is treated as such. Lemme explain. When washing, and the hair is wet, a glob of shampoo goes to the back of my head, a glob to the top of my head, and one glob divided into two goes to the two sides. Then each "section" is foamed up separately until the lather is so big the entire head gets massaged. Then all is rinsed out some (not all), it all gets re-lathered and so it sort of gets washed twice (when in all actuality it is only once). But this is a thorough washing if ever I got one!

Anje
April 29th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Add me to the 'enjoys washing it, hates waiting for it to dry' camp. Mine doesn't even take that long to dry, maybe 1-2 hours if I keep it loose, but it's still annoying. Often I just way before bed and go to bed with it kinda wet. It's usually only slightly damp when I get up, but I don't care for leaving it wet so long, especially against my scalp.

embee
April 29th, 2015, 07:37 AM
I like the feeling of the water running through my hair, but not *that* much to put up with drying and wearing loose. So I tried WO and then NW/SO when WO worked so nicely. I do scalp only rinses at least once a week in summer but not so much in winter. The length has not been washed since last autumn. It feels soft, it looks soft, it's up every day and braided at night.

I know some time this summer I'll give the length a full on WO rinse. But not yet. It's still chilly here and I don't need several hours of long damp hair hanging down my back! ;)

Larki
April 29th, 2015, 08:39 AM
I love washing my hair, and don't really notice how long it takes to dry. It doesn't bother me.

Ingrid
April 30th, 2015, 06:30 PM
I did it. Just washed it. Now I'm exhausted and need to take a break for the rest of the day :lol:

PeonyClouds
April 30th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I wash every few days, and try to wash at night so that I can put it in a high bun and sleep on it. My curls come out so much better this way! The downside is a wet pillow and an unhappy bedmate that doesn't like cold wet hair anywhere near him. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, I will wrap my wet hair in an old t-shirt and sit around with it as my turban. It takes a few hours to dry though, if I wash in the morning. I'll often put some up in a claw clip, to get some volume.

wtchmel
April 30th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I have to say, just be thankful that your hair is so thick its annoying or a chore. There are millions out there that would give anything to have that problem. I say go as long as you can w/o washing, maybe once a week. Or try a dry shampoo during the oily times. I'm personally the opposite, I always want to be in the water, and my new husband always says I wash too frequently.

endlessly
April 30th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Trust me, you're not alone at all. I wouldn't say that I hate washing my hair, I just hate dealing with the tangles as a result of getting my hair wait. Otherwise, I love the freshly-washed feeling and how soft and voluminous my hair is fresh from a wash - but waiting eons for it to dry, then attempting to detangle? No thank you. Now, it's almost a game to see how long I can go between washes before I get sick of myself.