PDA

View Full Version : Favorite hair oil& why

mzlbcmami
April 27th, 2015, 09:55 PM
I'm reading about different oils and there are just so many! Too many to keep track of. I love different oils like castor oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, amla oil etc....
I know where are so many more so I am wondering:
1. What's your favorite oil?
2. What is it supposed to do ?
3. Why is it your favorite oil ?
4. How do you use it?

Thanks in advance! :) :D

Nadine <3
April 27th, 2015, 10:19 PM
My favorite is coconut oil and olive oil simply because I always have those two oils in the house for cooking. They're also the two oils that are supposed to actually penetrate the hair strand, so I feel like those make the most sense for a treatment and not just sealing. I use these oils with the ROO method and sometimes I mix them together and heat them up and do a heavy pree poo treatment. I have grapeseed and it's good as a sealing leave in, but I mostly use that one on my face.

Kitten1030
April 27th, 2015, 10:21 PM
What's the ROO method?

Nadine <3
April 27th, 2015, 10:22 PM
What's the ROO method?

Rinse out oil.

gthlvrmx
April 27th, 2015, 10:28 PM
1. What's your favorite oil?: Baby oil!
2. What is it supposed to do ?: Retain moisture in hair, reduce static (at least from what I remember), add slip, reduce tangles.
3. Why is it your favorite oil ?: It's cheap, the bottle lasts for a long time, and it gets the job done without the hassle of taking a long time to rinse it out
4. How do you use it?: I apply baby oil after I wash my hair when it is still wet. I apply 4-5 drops onto my palms, rub my hands together, then run my hands through my hair over and over again.

LadyLorien
April 27th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Almond oil is by far my favorite. I tried to make coconut oil work for my hair, but my hair is just too protein sensitive so it ends up feeling dry and brittle. I use almond oil as a leave in after I get out of the shower so my hair is smooth and shiny when it dries. I only need to use a few drops for my whole head or else it can get greasy fairly quickly.

mzlbcmami
April 27th, 2015, 10:43 PM
1. What's your favorite oil?: Baby oil!
2. What is it supposed to do ?: Retain moisture in hair, reduce static (at least from what I remember), add slip, reduce tangles.
3. Why is it your favorite oil ?: It's cheap, the bottle lasts for a long time, and it gets the job done without the hassle of taking a long time to rinse it out
4. How do you use it?: I apply baby oil after I wash my hair when it is still wet. I apply 4-5 drops onto my palms, rub my hands together, then run my hands through my hair over and over again.

Dang I remember using that. It smells so good it. I didn't know it had benefits though. :)

gthlvrmx
April 27th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Dang I remember using that. It smells so good it. I didn't know it had benefits though. :)

Yes baby oil has lots of plus sides to it! I just recently used it on my skin to help it get some extra moisture.

Blue Mermaid
April 27th, 2015, 11:57 PM
My hair loathes coconut oil. Makes me hair dry and makes my scalp irritated.

My favorite oil is argan, dubbed a miracle oil in the middle east. It is very nourishing to skin hair and nails! It leaves my hair hydrated, defrizzed, and glossy without weighing it down. I also use argan oil on my skin for intense moisturizing. I put a few drops into the palm of my hand, run my hands together to spread it out and warm it up and work it through wet detangled hair, if my ends are frizzy after drying I'll put another pump into my hand and focus on smoothing the ends out. The preparation I use is free of silicones, parabens, fragrance, coloring and preservatives!

YvetteVarie
April 28th, 2015, 12:52 AM
My favourite is castor oil.

It has antifungal properties, helps in regorwing hair (its touted as a miracle hairline recovery oil in the AA forms), and supposedly makes hair thicker. Its also a humectant of sorts

It keeps moisture in my hair for longer and makes it easier to detangle.

4. How do you use it?
I use it after washing to seal in moisture, I also use it for scalp massages. SOmetimes I mix it with my deep conditioner to boost its properties

mzlbcmami
April 28th, 2015, 07:14 PM
I love castor oil. I usually have to mix it with another oil because is soooo thick. But it's been a real plus for my hair. It grows like a weed when I use it. :)

Ingrid
April 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Coconut oil, hands down. Love the feint smell, love what it does to my hair. I think it's supposed to help hair retain moisture and protein, and so protect it from breakage.

maborosi
April 28th, 2015, 08:11 PM
I'm reading about different oils and there are just so many! Too many to keep track of. I love different oils like castor oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, amla oil etc....
I know where are so many more so I am wondering:

1. What's your favorite oil? Mineral and Coconut

2. What is it supposed to do ? Coconut oil can penetrate the hair shaft and reduce swelling of the cuticle. It can also be used as a pre-treatment prior to henna, conventional dyeing, bleaching, etc, and help mitigate damage while not affecting the dye uptake at all. Mineral oil is a really good, non-drying, lightweight finishing oil that works better than silicones to 'fill in' damage, smooth, defrizz, and detangle.

3. Why is it your favorite oil ? See above. Coconut oil because it's not too heavy if I use sparingly, and it really does help reduce damage prior to washing. Mineral oil because it works so well compared to any other oil. It vastly outperforms my old favorite leave-in oil, grapeseed, without any risk of drying, and unlike jojoba, it's inert and I have no allergic reaction to it.

4. How do you use it? Coconut oil either as a prewash oil or as a post-wash (after shampooing) deep treatment oil. I use it prior to hennaing or full-head cassia treatments, too.
Mineral oil as a post-wash oil on slightly damp hair to cut down on the frizzies

Thanks in advance! :) :D No problem! :blossom:

Those are the only two oils I use.

Deborah
April 28th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Shea nut butter is the only oil that my hair responds well to. I don't need it often, but if I have over-washed or something, and my hair feels dried out, stroking just a tiny bit of shea nut butter on the damp hair relieves the problem completely, but does not leave my hair feeling weighed down or oily. It is wonderful stuff.

catasa
April 29th, 2015, 01:26 AM
Another vote for baby oil/pure mineral oil/liquid paraffin here! Itīs the only oil I use nowadays (my hair is rather finicky and also my skin unfortunately)

For me, primarily to seal in moisture. Also provides some slip, makes detangling easier (I donīt really have much trouble with tangles so I am not personally sure about this)

It is simply the only oil (or for that matter, leave in of any kind) that I have found that my hair likes, my skin can handle, and that does not build up like crazy on my hair.

4. How do you use it?
As a leave in after wash, 6 drops in total (2*3 times) on streaming/dripping wet hair, spread over palms and fingers, run over and finger-combed through lengths with special care on the ends, also a little spread over the canopy. Then hair is folded up in a t-shirt for some minutes and then air-dried or partly blow-dried on cool. I sometimes use rinse out conditioner before, more often only shampoo wash and the mineral oil leave in.

ETA: I also use it as a skin moisturizer on face and neck/chest. It is the only skin moisturizer that I have found that have worked longterm for me, my skin does not seem to "grow tired of it " like it usually does with commercial creams. I have rather sensitive skin with acne (quite mild but still not fun) and also combination skin with dryness/flaking that is irritating. I use the mineral oil on wet skin, let it dry or mostly dry, and pat off excess if any with a cotton pad.

pixiepaws
April 29th, 2015, 01:40 AM
1.What is my favorite oil- I would choose Avocado oil

2.What is it supposed to do?- For me it adds shine, holds in moisture and prevents a lot of tangling without weighing my hair down

3. Why is it your favorite oil ?-A little goes a long way, it adds great shine to my hair and I don't have dry ends

4.How do you use it?- On dry hair concentrating on the ends only I only use a few drops as it is very concentrated then brush into the rest of the length.

lapushka
April 29th, 2015, 06:05 AM

Sweet almond oil, and mineral oil (J&J baby oil).

Keep my skin & hair moisturized (amazing).

Because they work the best on my skin & hair. Mostly use MO on the hair these days, though.

4. How do you use it?

Rinse-out oil method & LOC method (links in signature)

Zesty
April 29th, 2015, 06:40 AM
1. What's your favorite oil? Jojoba.
2. What is it supposed to do? It's supposed to be the oil that mimics your natural sebum best. I believe it's also non-penetrating and is used more like a sealant to keep moisture in.
3. Why is it your favorite oil? It makes my hair shiny and soft without weighing it down. It also prevents tangles, which is obviously very important. ;)
4. How do you use it? As a leave-in in almost dry hair after a shower, and added to my ends daily between washes. I know it's an oil that's supposed to sit on top of your hair, but it seems like my hair absorbs it. :shrug: I've stopped worrying too much about the science, since my hair likes it this way.
Lately I've also been using it in conjunction with a shea butter-based DT masque, putting a teensy bit of the masque on dry ends and then putting some jojoba over it. This has been working WONDERFULLY, it might be my holy grail leave-in routine. So shiny, so soft, so tangle-free. :cloud9:

mzlbcmami
April 29th, 2015, 11:59 AM
1. What's your favorite oil? Jojoba.
2. What is it supposed to do? It's supposed to be the oil that mimics your natural sebum best. I believe it's also non-penetrating and is used more like a sealant to keep moisture in.
3. Why is it your favorite oil? It makes my hair shiny and soft without weighing it down. It also prevents tangles, which is obviously very important. ;)
4. How do you use it? As a leave-in in almost dry hair after a shower, and added to my ends daily between washes. I know it's an oil that's supposed to sit on top of your hair, but it seems like my hair absorbs it. :shrug: I've stopped worrying too much about the science, since my hair likes it this way.
Lately I've also been using it in conjunction with a shea butter-based DT masque, putting a teensy bit of the masque on dry ends and then putting some jojoba over it. This has been working WONDERFULLY, it might be my holy grail leave-in routine. So shiny, so soft, so tangle-free. :cloud9:

I still yet need to try jojoba oil. I have heard so many good things about it!

Zesty
April 29th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I still yet need to try jojoba oil. I have heard so many good things about it!

It was my starter oil, and while I've tried a lot of different things I just keep coming back to it. 10/10 would recommend. ;)