PDA

View Full Version : What color would you call my hair?

missrandie
April 27th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I am one of those people who started out as a little blonde kid, but lost it over time. I'm not sure if I fall into the land of blonette/brond or if I am solidly in brown/brunette land. What do you guys think?

I took these pictures outside this morning under shade cover. The one with my hair across my arm is the truest to color that I took, showing the natural variation. The other is on printer paper, for reference.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16965&d=1430146986http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16966&d=1430146988
(I can't be the only one who keeps ponytails of their hair, right? I think I kept both of mine out of regret.)

noteve
April 27th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I'd say dark blonde. It looks like my natural color and I always considered it brown until I compared it to a hair color chart and apparently it's dark blonde.

Lyv
April 27th, 2015, 10:34 AM
It looks like a light honey brown to me

Begemot
April 27th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Medium golden brown, very pretty!

StellaKatherine
April 27th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Hmm, it looks very much like mine too. And I have no idea what colour it is ;)

Kiiruna
April 27th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Maybe warm 7 or 6.5?

EDIT: maybe 7 would be better :-)

cocoahair
April 27th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Another vote for honey brown. I think if it had a tiny bit more highlights in it I would say dark blonde but in my mind dark blonde and honey brown are so close its hard to make the distinction. I think it almost comes down to whether you like to classify with the blondes or browns.

Nini
April 27th, 2015, 11:50 AM
As a Norwegian to me that's definitely brown. If you were to ask someone from countries where blonde isn't as common, I'm sure you'd get a lot more hits on dark blonde.

Larki
April 27th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Medium golden brown!

rhosyn_du
April 27th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I'm going to say light brown, since that looks a lot like a warmer tone of my natural color, and stylists have always said my hair is primarily light brown. Really, though, the top picture looks dark blonde to me, and the bottom looks medium brown. My hair can look both of those colors (although much less red than yours) depending on the context, too.

Rosetta
April 27th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Hmm, in the first picture it's definitely blonde to me (yes, blonde, about medium blonde I'd say!), but in the second, it looks more like light brown...

Maybe you are a blonette, after all blonette hair is famous for looking quite different in different lighting :D

meteor
April 27th, 2015, 01:00 PM
That looks very much like my hair color. This is supposed to be level 7 or maybe higher end of level 6, I believe. Technically, hairdressers/colorists would refer to this as blonde. But in real life, people could call it brown or blonde, depending on their reference points. "Blonette" or "bronde" are some other helpful terms that could apply. :)
O the murky, confusing world of haircolor names! :lol:

missrandie
April 27th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks, everybody! My mom always calls it coyote because it is so many different colors :o

StellaKatherine
April 27th, 2015, 01:45 PM
That looks very much like my hair color. This is supposed to be level 7 or maybe higher end of level 6, I believe. Technically, hairdressers/colorists would refer to this as blonde. But in real life, people could call it brown or blonde, depending on their reference points. "Blonette" or "bronde" are some other helpful terms that could apply. :)
O the murky, confusing world of haircolor names! :lol:

It also depend on where the hairdressers live. In Finland they will never refer for it as blonde :) They will always say something about browns, but will have different oppinions on the matter :D

*ReiKa*
April 27th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Your color is too light to be a brown, it's definitely a dark blonde!
For example, I've got a light brown and it's way darker than that!
In the second picture it looks darker only because the picture has been taken indoor.

spidermom
April 27th, 2015, 01:59 PM
What color are your eyes?

missrandie
April 27th, 2015, 02:23 PM
What color are your eyes?
They are hazel. Very, very hazel.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16971&d=1430166170

lapushka
April 27th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Blonette, definitely.

Nedertane
April 27th, 2015, 05:35 PM
It's hard to say; the highlights do seem to have the gold tones that go with a darker blonde hair color, but the base color seems more like a neutral light brown. Do you have a pic of your current length, or at least the roots or temples of your hair? That would probably be a better indicator.

If I had to take a guess with your current pics, I'd put you at either a level 5 or 6, which, depending on the system labels, either puts you solidly at light brown, or light brown bordering on dark blonde.

spidermom
April 27th, 2015, 05:45 PM
With those eyes, I'm going with dark blonde. In some definitions of blonde, it is described as sort of a package deal that includes light hair color with light skin color and light eye color. And yes, I've seen brown-eyed blonds, but only as children or as a sort of light amber-brown.

AmberLouise
April 27th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Another one for medium golden brown, very pretty!

Larki
April 27th, 2015, 07:41 PM
I don't see how her eye color should impact our perception of her hair color, personally. That doesn't make any sense. I'd call the first picture medium golden brown, and the second dark brown, but since she said the first is the most representative of her real color, I'm going with medium golden brown as my final answer.

endlessly
April 27th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I would say that it looks mostly brown, but you definitely have blonde and auburn highlights.

MsVenus
April 27th, 2015, 08:13 PM
blondette or light brown with some dark blonde strands mixed together.

divinedobbie
April 27th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I don't see how eye colour has much to do with it. I have very light green eyes and very light skin and I have brown hair. Because she has light eyes, it doesn't mean she's a blonde.

I'd say you're about a level 7 which is a light brown. It would help to see the colour of your roots since the ends of hair are usually much more sun lightened.

Nedertane
April 27th, 2015, 08:41 PM
I'd say you're about a level 7 which is a light brown.

Er, level 7 (http://haircolor.wikia.com/wiki/Level_7) is dark blonde, the majority of the time.

Rosetta
April 28th, 2015, 12:56 AM
I don't see how her eye color should impact our perception of her hair color, personally. That doesn't make any sense.

I don't see how eye colour has much to do with it. I have very light green eyes and very light skin and I have brown hair. Because she has light eyes, it doesn't mean she's a blonde.
Agree; I really don't believe in such "package deals" ;)

StellaKatherine
April 28th, 2015, 01:49 AM
My sister has naturally dark blond (the colour clearly can see isn't brown) hair and the darker brown eyes I've ever seen.

diddiedaisy
April 28th, 2015, 03:29 AM
First pic, medium golden brown. Second pic dark brown. I personally wouldn't call it dark blonde, it's much too brown. Countries do seem to differ a lot on what they call dark blonde.

Rosetta
April 28th, 2015, 03:42 AM
First pic, medium golden brown. Second pic dark brown. I personally wouldn't call it dark blonde, it's much too brown. Countries do seem to differ a lot on what they call dark blonde.
They do, but so do different individuals too, as I really can't see how anyone could call the first pic colour medium *brown*, to me it's totally medium blonde :D

(In my country it would be called dark blonde or light brown, but not medium brown for sure.)

Begemot
April 28th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Had to go back and check these pics again... Still just can't see her hair being blonde, but possibly medium to light brown :confused:
In my eyes her hair has yellow/golden tone and in the first pic there are streaks of lighter hair. Still, her hair is dark. In both pictures her hair looks brown, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I read somewhere here that light hair/strands would be more visible against dark background and darker strands against light background (other way around dark/light hair would disappear against dark/light background, I use this information when I S&D :D). In the second pic those individual strands look very dark against white paper. This is why I would see her being brunette.

These color guessing threads are always very intriguing! I would like to know what missrandie herself thinks about her hair color? :)

StellaKatherine
April 28th, 2015, 06:00 AM
The so called problem with brown hair of all the tones is that it gets lighter stripes from the sun which do affect colouring. This makes it harder to say what colour it is exactly. I see clearly on my own hair, that roots are much darker especially after long fall and winter without sunlight. My ends are almost golden blond after all the years at the sun and are dramaticly lighter than my roots. But I will never call myself blond, or even blondette only because of my ends. I started to keep my hair out of the sunlight more as well, so darkening up more will be certain :D

missrandie
April 28th, 2015, 07:39 AM
These color guessing threads are always very intriguing! I would like to know what missrandie herself thinks about her hair color? :)

I started calling it brown about, oh, 9 years ago. age 15 was the last time I considered myself blond, and had an odd coloring disaster after that. There were three truly pale blondes in my class, and I figured my color was nowhere close to theirs.

As for roots, here they are, slight grease and bath robe and all :) I would consider it all the root color, as I am hardly ever outside, and when I am, I have a hat on. Most of that hair has never seen sunlight.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16976&d=1430227934

missrandie
April 28th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Doggone double post.

Begemot
April 28th, 2015, 08:12 AM
That third pic is beautiful missrandie! Love the dip dyed ends btw. Now I can see this sort of lightness, which would indicate blonette tendencies in my mind. This could very be your category, check out the blonette pride-thread. Your hair color could be golden... something :D At this stage it's hard to tell. Are you going to grow out your natural color?

missrandie
April 28th, 2015, 09:06 AM
I cut off all of the red dyed parts roughly 4 months ago. Definitely growing out all natural! Silly question about the "dip dyed ends"... does it look colored? No snarkiness, just pure curiosity on my part. All the hair in the pics is virgin. I always though it was fun how it likes to change colors :o

*ReiKa*
April 28th, 2015, 09:17 AM
The biggest problem with blonde hair colour is that in most people's minds is always pictured as the typical light blonde (*Example* (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8c/59/38/8c5938935129694aa13109fc72bf5b08.jpg)).
Now, the thing is, that certainly is blonde, but it's not *THE* blonde color, blonde (like brown too) has different levels, 5 levels to be precise (brown has 3), which are:
-Dark (level 6)
-Medium (level 7)
-Light (level 8)
-Very Light (level 9)
-Platinum (level 10)
[Brown has only three: dark (level 3), medium (level 4) and light (level 5)]

So, although darker blonde levels like 6 and 7 don't look like proper blondes to "common" eyes, they actually are, or "theoretically" they are.
Bear in mind that we are talking about base colors, there is no such thing as a "blondish light brown" or "light brown with blonde strands", a base color is either blonde or brown, full stop.
The different tones that a hair color has (golden, ash, copper etc) are something else, they define the final look of the color but they always go along a specific base colour, that be brown or blonde.
Tones are not colors themselves. For example, red hair color is not a hair color itself. It's a color given by a blonde base (dark or medium or light, whatever the intensity) accompanied by red, copper and/or mahogany tones (the mixtures of those or the single use of those will give you different shades of red).
Hope I was clear enough with this.... recollections of a short hairdressing course that I took long time ago....

I have also found an article that explains everything I said: http://hair-and-makeup-artist.com/international-colour-charts-hairdressing/

Nedertane
April 28th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I started calling it brown about, oh, 9 years ago. age 15 was the last time I considered myself blond, and had an odd coloring disaster after that. There were three truly pale blondes in my class, and I figured my color was nowhere close to theirs.

As for roots, here they are, slight grease and bath robe and all :) I would consider it all the root color, as I am hardly ever outside, and when I am, I have a hat on. Most of that hair has never seen sunlight.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16976&d=1430227934

Unless it's just my screen, but your photo looks a lot like the photos in the ash brown pride thread. Definitely check out that thread in addition to the blonette pride thread.

Also, this might sound weird, but try to compare your hair to various objects. Hair swatches are great, but you may not always have them around. So, sometimes I compare my hair to things in my regular life, like different types of wood. Whatever it seems to blend best with might help you sort out a color name.

Does that make sense?

Begemot
April 28th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I cut off all of the red dyed parts roughly 4 months ago. Definitely growing out all natural! Silly question about the "dip dyed ends"... does it look colored? No snarkiness, just pure curiosity on my part. All the hair in the pics is virgin. I always though it was fun how it likes to change colors :o

Woah, that's amazing! Because on my screen your ends look like this deep purple color and it looks very much like a intentional ombre :D
Congrats for going all natural :blossom:

missrandie
April 28th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Oh! Bahahahaha that's the reflection off my robe :) I hadn't even noticed that!

Begemot
April 28th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Really, oh... :D :D Well, it's a cool pic! Your hair is very chameleon like!

I think *ReiKa* wrote very informative message, I also enjoyed the link.

missrandie
April 28th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Begamot my hair truly is a chameleon. It can even look red.

Everybody, thanks for helping me figure out what I've got for hairs on my head. Since my hairstylist labeled me a 6, I could be any of the above. I have seen pictures of dark blondes that are spot on; same with light brown folks.

At any rate, I love it, no matter what color it is. I find it to be an interesting and intriguing color in the world of peroxide blonde babes and black haired beauties that make up San Antonio. That, and I appreciate my texture and thickness. It is all enough for me :)

In the spirit of labels, I can accept myself as either one, but will henceforth call my hair "tawny" colored!