PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing over henna - is it safe?

aforestfae
April 26th, 2015, 01:53 PM
I'm considering, although not completely set on,dyeing my hair.
But I have henna'd it quite a bit, on the box it says it's 100% natural henna, but I'm still worried it's going to go wrong, I'll definitely be trying it out on a section of hair first (or even the masses of shed hair on my brush:disgust:)
But what should I be looking out for? Will any reaction be quick or could it develop after washing the dye out?
Sorry if this is in the wrong area.
Thank you :)

divinedobbie
April 26th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I'm going to believe the box that there's only henna, if so then it should be perfectly safe. But strand testing on a ball of hair would be safest. I'd strand test, wash out, and wait a day. I think if there was any reaction, you'd see it right away though...fizzing I imagine...but wait until the next day and see if the hair is breaking or snapping etc.

spidermom
April 26th, 2015, 02:49 PM
I have no personal experience but have heard if I'm remembering correctly that dye doesn't take well over henna; you'll always have the henna orange-red glow through whatever color you use.

lapushka
April 26th, 2015, 03:13 PM
If you henna'd a lot, that means it's pretty darn "red". And dark. Which also means you'd have to go at least a dark brown to be able to cover the red. Black isn't necessary, but a light brown is probably not gonna do it. Keep that in mind.

I have terrible experiences with mixing dye and henna & bleach. I didn't have a reaction right at the get-go, but much later on, when it was about the 2nd or 3rd dye attempt. I ended up with a chemical cut & burn.

That's my experience.

So I say: strand test. Go to the trouble of doing that on shed hair, on a lock of hair, whatever you prefer.

If you dyed with a premixed form of henna (a brown tone), then that means there's indigo in the mix. That's where it might turn unpredictable, because these dyes do contain peroxide and it might end up giving you green hair.

Marika
April 27th, 2015, 12:50 AM
I have no personal experience but have heard if I'm remembering correctly that dye doesn't take well over henna; you'll always have the henna orange-red glow through whatever color you use.

^This is my experience. I dyed my hair with medium brown over henna and a few weeks later, it was henna red again. Now I'm just growing out the henna and don't bother with hair dyes. It's going to be a looong road until I get my natural hair color back:brickwall

aforestfae
April 27th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Well I've bought the dye to do a strand test but looking at the instructions it says not to use on hair coloured with henna compounds, so should I not use this?

I'm trying to go red and henna never gave me the red I wanted so I'm not trying to cover the henna just go more red

Anje
April 27th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Easiest thing to do is strand test it. My suspicion is that it's mostly a warning for petiole who have used "henna" blends containing indigo (prone to turning green with conventional dyes), but I believe there are stories of "henna" with metallic dyes in it getting hot when dyed.

You shouldn't have any adverse reactions of you've used only pure henna, but the red might shine through and it probably won't lighten as much as the box predicts.

aforestfae
April 27th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Easiest thing to do is strand test it. My suspicion is that it's mostly a warning for petiole who have used "henna" blends containing indigo (prone to turning green with conventional dyes), but I believe there are stories of "henna" with metallic dyes in it getting hot when dyed.

You shouldn't have any adverse reactions of you've used only pure henna, but the red might shine through and it probably won't lighten as much as the box predicts.

I'm gonna strand test on shed and Unshed hair just to see colour and how it brushes after, I'm hoping just to get more red if it doesn't lighten it doesn't lighten
I'm wary of my henna going wrong because it's not a popular brand so I'm concerned it says it's pure henna when it's not but I think I'm worrying over nothing
thanks for the help :)

Auni
April 27th, 2015, 09:00 AM
In the past I've dyed brown over henna, no problems. As long as you have 100% henna, no issue. You should strand test though as a rule of thumb:thumbsup:

mmariah
April 27th, 2015, 09:34 AM
You should be fine with regular hair dye unless there is indigo in the henna. But whatever you do, DO NOT USE BLEACH. Unfortunately I had to learn that the hard way and my hair has been tinted green for a year now, I try to dye over it but the color does not seem to stick. Definitely strand test before

lapushka
April 27th, 2015, 09:39 AM
What brand of box dye henna did you use, aforestfae?

aforestfae
April 27th, 2015, 11:27 AM
What brand of box dye henna did you use, aforestfae?

it was Ayuuri Mehndi Powder
Not from this site but that's the same product (http://www.fishpond.com.au/Beauty/Ayuuri-Red-Mehndi-100-Pure-Henna-Powder-100g/5060192233384)
I'm doing a strand test now so I'll post how it goes :)
Got my fingers crossed, it's been on for nearly half an hour and it's still attached to my head so that's a positive

aforestfae
April 27th, 2015, 11:55 AM
well there was no funky reaction on the strand test, it's a lovely red, way redder than I ever got from henna so I'm covering all my hair, my face is now orange and patchy though...

Rosetta
April 27th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Well I've bought the dye to do a strand test but looking at the instructions it says not to use on hair coloured with henna compounds, so should I not use this?
All conventional hair dyes say that, it's just the standard disclaimer it seems... I mean, over compounds it's an understandable warning, but many even say not to use on hair dyed with henna, which is a bit ridiculous, imo.

lapushka
April 27th, 2015, 02:00 PM
All conventional hair dyes say that, it's just the standard disclaimer it seems... I mean, over compounds it's an understandable warning, but many even say not to use on hair dyed with henna, which is a bit ridiculous, imo.

Yes, I get that. Those companies have to be careful as not everyone is as "finicky" and "pure" with their henna as we are.