PDA

View Full Version : Study on Peppermint EO and hair growth.

ChloeDharma
April 26th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Just randomly searching stuff I came across this study on the effects of peppermint oil. Here's a link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

"Abstract

Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is a plant native to Europe and has been widely used as a carminative and gastric stimulant worldwide. This plant also has been used in cosmetic formulations as a fragrance component and skin conditioning agent. This study investigated the effect of peppermint oil on hair growth in C57BL/6 mice. The animals were randomized into 4 groups based on different topical applications: saline (SA), jojoba oil (JO), 3% minoxidil (MXD), and 3% peppermint oil (PEO). The hair growth effects of the 4-week topical applications were evaluated in terms of hair growth, histological analysis, enzymatic activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), known bio-markers for the enhanced hair growth. Of the 4 experimental groups, PEO group showed the most prominent hair growth effects; a significant increase in dermal thickness, follicle number, and follicle depth. ALP activity and IGF-1 expression also significantly increased in PEO group. Body weight gain and food efficiency were not significantly different between groups. These results suggest that PEO induces a rapid anagen stage and could be used for a practical agent for hair growth without change of body weight gain and food efficiency."

I know some members here have reported increased growth when using peppermint oil and reading this it seems to be worth considering.

divinedobbie
April 26th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I bought some peppermint oil a month ago because I really wanted to try it but then I started experimenting with saw palmetto instead and didn't want to do both at the same time since I wouldn't know what to attribute results to. Long story short, yesterday I went and returned the peppermint oil because I figured I wouldn't be using it any time soon. Darn. Guess I'll have to go out and rebuy some to try.

roman8
April 26th, 2015, 05:53 PM
There's A LOT peppermint oil in my new herbal conditioner, and i have lots of new hairs that have started growing just after i started using this, I suspect it is the peppermint oil in it. Thumbs up from me.

hennalonghair
April 26th, 2015, 05:58 PM
I use peppermint oil on my scalp all the time. It's great stuff

cocoahair
April 27th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I don't know if this helps with my growth but it feels amazing in a pre poo scalp treatment which is good enough for me!

aurorae
April 28th, 2015, 02:48 AM
I used it once in my tea rinse and it felt oh so heavenly.im gonna go buy some.

Auni
April 28th, 2015, 08:27 AM
very interesting, and something I feel I could actually try! Thank you for posting!:flower:

cat11
April 28th, 2015, 08:36 AM
i need to try this!! thanks for sharing. it is hard to decide sometimes which out of many available oils and experiments to try.

lunasea
April 28th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Wow, fascinating! I'd like to see this replicated with other animals. Did anyone notice how many mice were in each group?

Annalouise
April 28th, 2015, 04:19 PM
What does that mean "an increase in follicle number"? I thought we had a set number of follicles?

Achlys
April 28th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I guess they mean active follicles.

Annalouise
April 28th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I guess they mean active follicles.

ok thanks.

I used peppermint Dr. Bronners soap for quite awhile and I felt like my hair was growing well with it.

PalomaSincera
May 11th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I really like this thread. I would like to see more comments from people who use peppermint oil. Does it just help you grow hair on your head, or will it cause other body parts to increase in hair growth? Also, what are all the ways that it can be applied?

Betazed
May 11th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I really like this thread. I would like to see more comments from people who use peppermint oil. Does it just help you grow hair on your head, or will it cause other body parts to increase in hair growth? Also, what are all the ways that it can be applied?

I'd also like to know how to apply it. I just received a large haul from my favorite all natural hair care company and, as an extra bonus, they added some peppermint EO to my order. I have no idea what to do with it. I normally add vanilla EO to my fragrance free products. I'm not sure if adding the peppermint would change the smell drastically. I simply adore the smell of vanilla so I wouldn't want the smell to change too much. Can I add this to EVOO or something and use as a pre-poo treatment? I'm unfamiliar with using oils (like EVOO or coconut oil) but I was going to try one and see how it works. I'd like to add some kind of leave-in to my ends for extra moisture but I'm trying to stay away from 'cones so I thought some kind of oil might be a better option. Would adding the peppermint EO and using it on my scalp work? I'm so confused. :confused:

janeytilllie
May 11th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I use peppermint oil a lot.

I use shampoo bars that contain peppermint oil, I also use castor oil/peppermint oil for scalp massage.
I also use peppermint oil in my herbal vinegar rinse and massage that in my scalp.
Yeah I like peppermint oil, I love the smell of it. :D

It's wonderful for dandruff problems and itchy scalp. I do have lots of thick baby hairs, so I think it helps grow hair.
I had chin length hair in December and it's now APL +. That's when I started using peppermint in my regular routine.

ChloeDharma
May 12th, 2015, 06:03 AM
You can use peppermint oil quite easily. I add it to DT's and herb masks. I also add it to scalp oils so yeah just take some oil you like, olive, coconut, sesame etc and add some peppermint EO to that. A really nice way of using it is adding it to my misting spray that I use on my scalp.

AimeeMarie
May 19th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I just add 1 drop to my normal dose of shampoo. I have done this probably once a week for the last 3-4 weeks. I do think I've noticed a difference. Mom competed that my hair is getting long! But, it may just be that my hair has reached a point where it is feeling long. (It is about medium length, getting past shoulders, almost onto collar bone.)

Buddug
May 19th, 2015, 01:10 PM
A really nice way of using it is adding it to my misting spray that I use on my scalp.

So you fill a spray bottle with water and you add in some peppermint drops, is that it?
I would love to try peppermint EO!

ChloeDharma
May 20th, 2015, 07:11 AM
So you fill a spray bottle with water and you add in some peppermint drops, is that it?
I would love to try peppermint EO!

I have done that though normally I add it to a herb infusion like rooibos and include other essential oils like rosemary, ylang ylang, lavender etc but just peppermint would work too. It's very refreshing in the summer and also feels lovely if you have a sore or irritated scalp. Another idea could be to use a hydrosol like rosemary or rosewater. I feel the mint might be wierd with the rose but would go nicely with the rosemary.

One thing I would add though, use boiled water if you make a spray and keep it in the fridge as it can start to develop mold. You could also add a little bit of jojoba or avocado or any other carrier oil you like to use.

I just did a DT this morning made from conditioner, honey, avocado oil, macadamia oil and rice bran oil plus EO's of peppermint, rosemary, ylang ylang and geranium. It felt amazing on my scalp sitting there getting all tingly!

Caraid♫
May 20th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Wow, I'm really interested in trying this! I oil my scalp sometimes anyways so I feel like it would be a sustainable habit to just add a few drops of PEO in there (the problem with growth experiments for me is not sticking to it!)

Illryeth
May 20th, 2015, 07:23 AM
I just got a soap bar and apparently it has rosemary and peppermint essential oils in there, and it has been the best thing my scalp ever felt :D it felt so warm and a bit tingly, and once my hair dried (ok this may sound stupid) but I actually felt my scalp "breathe", it felt clean and still a bit warm! I loved it!!! :D
Do you think that I should also include peppermint oil besides this, or should the soap bar be enough?

ChloeDharma
May 20th, 2015, 07:31 AM
I just got a soap bar and apparently it has rosemary and peppermint essential oils in there, and it has been the best thing my scalp ever felt :D it felt so warm and a bit tingly, and once my hair dried (ok this may sound stupid) but I actually felt my scalp "breathe", it felt clean and still a bit warm! I loved it!!! :D
Do you think that I should also include peppermint oil besides this, or should the soap bar be enough?

I think if you want to include it as well as the 'poo bar then you should. I know that breathing scalp feeling, I have hard sebum which is hard to remove with just shampoo so I have to oil it to soften it up making it easier to wash away. After a good oil soaking and cleansing my scalp feels so fresh and as if the air is finally getting to it. This is another reason I like the peppermint as it makes the scalp feel so fresh. Eucalyptus is another good choice for this.

ChloeDharma
May 20th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Wow, I'm really interested in trying this! I oil my scalp sometimes anyways so I feel like it would be a sustainable habit to just add a few drops of PEO in there (the problem with growth experiments for me is not sticking to it!)

I have that same problem, that and I have so many things I want to include it's hard to fit them into a realistic schedule that allows them to be used regularly enough to work. I'd love to hear your results from this should you try it :)

Illryeth
May 20th, 2015, 08:29 AM
I think if you want to include it as well as the 'poo bar then you should. I know that breathing scalp feeling, I have hard sebum which is hard to remove with just shampoo so I have to oil it to soften it up making it easier to wash away. After a good oil soaking and cleansing my scalp feels so fresh and as if the air is finally getting to it. This is another reason I like the peppermint as it makes the scalp feel so fresh. Eucalyptus is another good choice for this.

Thank you! :D

PalomaSincera
May 20th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Is it important to apply it directly to the scalp, or is it also beneficial when it's applied on the hair ?

renia22
May 20th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Thanks for posting the info, ChloeDharma. I've have great results with reducing shedding with pure aloe, distilled water & rosemary EO that I keep in the fridge, which I spray on my scalp a few nights a week, but I'm having trouble gaining back the thickness/ circumference to what it once was. Maybe I'll add some peppermint EO & see how that goes..

Buddug
May 20th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I have done that though normally I add it to a herb infusion like rooibos and include other essential oils like rosemary, ylang ylang, lavender etc but just peppermint would work too. It's very refreshing in the summer and also feels lovely if you have a sore or irritated scalp. Another idea could be to use a hydrosol like rosemary or rosewater. I feel the mint might be wierd with the rose but would go nicely with the rosemary.

Thank you!

Today my scalp wqs very itchy (I think its my new shampoo, it seems to irritate my scalp), so I put some peppermint and rosemary EO drops in a spray bottle with some water and sprayed it on my scalp. Feels so much better now! Instant relief :)

flickm
May 21st, 2015, 01:42 AM
Heads up (pun not intended) anyone who uses peppermint oil. What kind of dilution are you using? Can it be used neat, or if not then which oil is best to dilute it? I just ordered some from Amazon UK.

CRX<3
May 21st, 2015, 03:11 AM
The report used a 3% blend. 3% dilution = 20 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil :)

flickm
May 21st, 2015, 03:29 AM
The report used a 3% blend. 3% dilution = 20 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil :)

Thank you :) I don't suppose it makes much difference which carrier oil you use. Can't wait to give it a go.

ChloeDharma
May 21st, 2015, 08:49 AM
Is it important to apply it directly to the scalp, or is it also beneficial when it's applied on the hair ?

It needs to be applied to the scalp to effect where the hair grows, just applying it to the length is fine if you just want the smell though.

Thanks for posting the info, ChloeDharma. I've have great results with reducing shedding with pure aloe, distilled water & rosemary EO that I keep in the fridge, which I spray on my scalp a few nights a week, but I'm having trouble gaining back the thickness/ circumference to what it once was. Maybe I'll add some peppermint EO & see how that goes..

You are very welcome, it's great when you can share helpful things with others I think :) I hope this works well for you. Gaining back the thickness takes time sadly but hopefully if you keep using your mix it will get there.

Thank you :) I don't suppose it makes much difference which carrier oil you use. Can't wait to give it a go.

As you are in England I thought I'd share the metric version. For a 3% dilution you would add 3 drops per 5ml of carrier oil and 5ml is a teaspoon. 5ml is 100 drops so you can use this for working out larger batches or concentrations in future. I like many carrier oils so really it depends on what one works well for you. Coconut, olive, almond, jojoba, sesame, macadamia and avocado are all good scalp and hair oils but of course there are others too.

flickm
May 21st, 2015, 08:59 AM
It needs to be applied to the scalp to effect where the hair grows, just applying it to the length is fine if you just want the smell though.

As you are in England I thought I'd share the metric version. For a 3% dilution you would add 3 drops per 5ml of carrier oil and 5ml is a teaspoon. 5ml is 100 drops so you can use this for working out larger batches or concentrations in future. I like many carrier oils so really it depends on what one works well for you. Coconut, olive, almond, jojoba, sesame, macadamia and avocado are all good scalp and hair oils but of course there are others too.

LOL, thank you for being so considerate, ChloeDharma, but i'm old enough never to have got used to metric - I still think in feet/inches/pounds/ounces etc. However, the teaspoon measuring advice is much appreciated.

PalomaSincera
May 21st, 2015, 12:36 PM
I've been putting peppermint oil in my hair daily... Undiluted. I don't feel a tingle at all. Will strait up peppermint EO damage my hair at all? Or is it ok, since I don't feel anything weird.

ChloeDharma
May 21st, 2015, 04:10 PM
I've been putting peppermint oil in my hair daily... Undiluted. I don't feel a tingle at all. Will strait up peppermint EO damage my hair at all? Or is it ok, since I don't feel anything weird.

If you are putting it on your scalp neat and feel nothing then I suspect there might be an issue with the oil. Is it 100% pure essential oil? Not flavouring or fragrance oil? Also it should give the botanical name Mentha Piperita on the bottle.

PalomaSincera
May 22nd, 2015, 10:04 PM
Alright, the one that smells like straight up candy cane does not have the botanical name but it does say 100% PURE essential oil.
The other one doesn't smell the same, it does give the botanical name and it says 100%.

PalomaSincera
May 22nd, 2015, 10:13 PM
Alright, the one that smells like straight up candy cane does not have the botanical name but it does say 100% PURE essential oil.
The other one doesn't smell the same, it does give the botanical name and it says 100%.

TaterTot
May 23rd, 2015, 12:36 AM
I put peppermint oil in coconut oil - smells amazing!

maborosi
May 23rd, 2015, 12:58 AM
I'd love to give this a shot just to see what it might do for my hair!
But I'm adamantly against using coconut oil anywhere near my face, so that's out as a carrier oil.

I guess I'll have to get some oil samples and see what works!

ChloeDharma
May 23rd, 2015, 02:59 AM
I'd love to give this a shot just to see what it might do for my hair!
But I'm adamantly against using coconut oil anywhere near my face, so that's out as a carrier oil.

I guess I'll have to get some oil samples and see what works!

If you can't find an oil you like then you can add it to other things. It goes well in DT's or henna. Jojoba oil seems to be reasonably well liked and is considered safe for people prone to acne if that is your concern.

ChloeDharma
May 23rd, 2015, 03:04 AM

I'd probably go with the one listing the botanical name. Unfortunately essential oils can vary in quality, I don't know what country you are in but in the UK the best guide to go by is to use oils from a company registered with the Aromatherapy Trade Council or by companies like Baldwins, Neals Yard Remedies, Quinessence or Essential Oils Direct. Many US members here report that Mountain Rose Herbs provide good quality herbs and oils.

rhosyn_du
May 23rd, 2015, 03:04 AM
You can also mix it with aloe gel. It doesn't mix the same way it would with a carrier oil, but you can get a nice suspension going.

renia22
May 23rd, 2015, 08:02 AM

Here's an essential oil purity test from a Crunchy Betty blog (on 21 things you should know about essential oils) that can help you figure out if your EO is pure or not:

http://www.crunchybetty.com/21-things-you-should-know-about-essential-oils

To test your essential oil to see how “pure” it is, put a single drop of it on a piece of construction paper. If it evaporates quickly and leaves no noticeable ring, it is pure. If you have a ring left, then it is likely diluted by the manufacturer with an oil of some sort (this test will not work for myrrh, patchouli, and absolutes).

Are you in the US? If so, the company ChloeDharma mentioned, Mountain Rose Herbs, is an excellent company. If I need something therapeutic grade for medicinal use, I buy from them. The rosemary EO and aloe that I use to help with shedding is from this company, and they both work very well. If I need an essential oil for cleaning or to be used around the house (room sprays, etc), I buy the cheaper ones like Now or Nature's Alchemy.

flickm
May 23rd, 2015, 08:08 AM
OK, so my peppermint oil arrived from Amazon today. I diluted it with rosehip seed oil because I want to use it every day for a while, and i don't wash my hair every day, and rosehip seed oil is easily absorbed and non greasy - but it's still made my hair greasy. Nice and tingly though, and the smell has made me wide awake!

evalina
May 23rd, 2015, 02:43 PM
I am really curious about trying Peppermint oil on my scalp. Unfortunately due to seborrhoic dermatitis I completely quit oiling my scalp, now I'm thinking of how to get the peppermint oil on it.
Those who use Aloe Vera Gel, do you use fresh harvested AVG or the cosmetic supply quality?
I wonder if a good peppermint tea would have the same effects.

renia22
May 23rd, 2015, 03:16 PM
Evalina, this is the one that I have:

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/aloe-vera-gel/profile

And I've also used the one from Aubrey Organics, which is similar.

I put some in a bowl & mix in a drop
of EO & dab on with a cotton ball, and I also keep an 8 ounce bottle in the fridge with 1/4 aloe, distilled water and a few drops of EO, which I shake and apply to the scalp.

I'm going to stick with rosemary, though. I tried 1 drop of heavily diluted peppermint EO and my scalp felt funny and I shed more the next day. Rosemary I seem to respond better to.

fiabia
May 23rd, 2015, 05:28 PM
I've been oiling my scalp once a week with almond oil, castor oil and peppermint EO for like six months, but I honestly haven't seen any noticeable extra growth. But I'm sticking with it anyway, since the weekly oiling has approved the health of my hair. Just hasn't grown a lot, sadly. (Someone's impacient)

evalina
May 24th, 2015, 02:36 AM
Thank you renia22. I actually have the AO Aloe Vera Gel here so will give it a try.

SnottyDotty
May 24th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Just wanted to chime in with my experience of Peppermint EO:

For about 18 months (when I started measuring my hair growth every month) I would get, on average, 1/4" of growth a month and I've always had probllems with dry scalp. After reading about the benefits of peppermint EO on a dry scalp I decided to give it a go. I dilute 2 - 3 drops of the EO in my regular shampoo or conditioner if I'm CO washing every 5 days or so. Not only did my scalp problems clear up but after measuring at the beginning of this month my growth rate doubled.

I can't say for sure if the growth increase is entirely down to the EO but it certainly seems like a major factor.

Nightrain
May 24th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Hello,
after reading this thread, I decided to try L'Occitane products to the hair with 5 EO, including mint:
REVITALIZING FRESH SHAMPOO

and L'Occitane REVITALIZING FRESH SCALP TONIC

"The daily silicone-free Revitalizing Fresh Shampoo helps hair stay clean longer by revitalizing it for a long-lasting refreshing sensation. Its formula combines 5 essential oils (mint, thyme, grapefruit, cedar and lavender) with a purifying plant-based vinegar to free hair from everyday build up. Its gentle foaming base is invigorating and leaves hair lightweight and full of energy. "

I'm wondering if it will be better if I'd buy peppermint EO and add to this products?

ChloeDharma
May 24th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Hello,
after reading this thread, I decided to try L'Occitane products to the hair with 5 EO, including mint:
REVITALIZING FRESH SHAMPOO

and L'Occitane REVITALIZING FRESH SCALP TONIC

"The daily silicone-free Revitalizing Fresh Shampoo helps hair stay clean longer by revitalizing it for a long-lasting refreshing sensation. Its formula combines 5 essential oils (mint, thyme, grapefruit, cedar and lavender) with a purifying plant-based vinegar to free hair from everyday build up. Its gentle foaming base is invigorating and leaves hair lightweight and full of energy. "

I'm wondering if it will be better if I'd buy peppermint EO and add to this products?

If you want to try that shampoo anyway then it sounds like a nice one. Personally I like to add EO's myself and I noticed in the study a 3% dilution of peppermint EO was used to get results so I would prefer that control. The oils listed are good essential oils for hair growth though so you could try it and see if you get a tingling sensation from it, if not you just just add a few drops until it feels right.

longhairmomof7
May 24th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Hi!!
I am fairly new here, but have been a lurker for ages LOL. I just purchased Peppermint essential oil from amazon. My confirmation said it would be here on Tuesday!! SOOO excited!! Right now I use jojoba oil or body, and face. I use castor oil on my scalp as a growth treatment. ( I had horrible pp hair fall after out last baby who is now 10 months old) I barely lose any hair now. VERY excited to see what peppermint will do. I haven't posted pictures, but my hair is almost BSL. 1 year ago I had 8 inches cut off and highlighted (shudders) LOL all of the damage has been cut out and I have been trying to grow my hair back for a year!! Hopefully this will get my scalp and growth a boost!! Here's to long hair!!!!

Nightrain
May 24th, 2015, 08:16 AM
If you want to try that shampoo anyway then it sounds like a nice one. Personally I like to add EO's myself and I noticed in the study a 3% dilution of peppermint EO was used to get results so I would prefer that control. The oils listed are good essential oils for hair growth though so you could try it and see if you get a tingling sensation from it, if not you just just add a few drops until it feels right.
Thanks!

If I'd like to add 3%~ of peppermint EO, do you know how much drops I need to had? (can I weigh the shampoo and then add 3\100 of the weigh with drops of peppermint EO?)

Nightrain
May 24th, 2015, 08:38 AM
and I forget to ask,
If I'd like to add peppermint EO to some carrier that I could leave it on my hair without washing it and My hair won't become too greasy, what would be the best carrier? Coconut, olive, almond, jojoba, sesame, macadamia, avocado EO or aloe vera gel?

Thank you.

ChloeDharma
May 24th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Hi!!
I am fairly new here, but have been a lurker for ages LOL. I just purchased Peppermint essential oil from amazon. My confirmation said it would be here on Tuesday!! SOOO excited!! Right now I use jojoba oil or body, and face. I use castor oil on my scalp as a growth treatment. ( I had horrible pp hair fall after out last baby who is now 10 months old) I barely lose any hair now. VERY excited to see what peppermint will do. I haven't posted pictures, but my hair is almost BSL. 1 year ago I had 8 inches cut off and highlighted (shudders) LOL all of the damage has been cut out and I have been trying to grow my hair back for a year!! Hopefully this will get my scalp and growth a boost!! Here's to long hair!!!!

Hi, welcome to LHC :) What kind of castor oil are you using? I've been using the Jamaican Black Castor Oil and really like it but in one of the pre blended oils I use I think it's regular castor oil so am using both really.
I hope the peppermint oil works well for you.

ChloeDharma
May 24th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Thanks!

If I'd like to add 3%~ of peppermint EO, do you know how much drops I need to had? (can I weigh the shampoo and then add 3\100 of the weigh with drops of peppermint EO?)

No the percentage is done by volume not weight, which makes it much easier thankfully! A simple way to work it out is to remember that 1% is 1 drop in 5ml so 3% would be 3 drops per 5ml. If your shampoo is 100ml then 3% would be 60 drops....unless my maths is wrong lol. I would imagine that it would be better used in something left on the scalp for a while though.

and I forget to ask,
If I'd like to add peppermint EO to some carrier that I could leave it on my hair without washing it and My hair won't become too greasy, what would be the best carrier? Coconut, olive, almond, jojoba, sesame, macadamia, avocado EO or aloe vera gel?

Thank you.

Hmmnnn it tends to vary but generally it's hard to use oil for a scalp massage without it looking greasy at the roots. You could just do it as an overnight pre 'poo though. The aloe gel would be the least oily as it a water based product so that might be a non oily option for you but those other oils all have great scalp properties too.

evalina
June 4th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Just stopping by to share how I managed to get the peppermint oil on my scalp without oiling it.
I decided to add 3 drops of mint oil to a little amount of water (about 10-20mL), shale it well and apply it on either dry or wet scalp with an applicator bottle.
Works fine for me, I get the cool feeling and it is easy to distribute it all over my scalp.
Hair gets a bit more greasy than usual but that's ok.

BerryFlap
June 4th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Interesting! I bet a treatment with peppermint oil in feels lovely and tingly, will definitely have to consider buying some :)

flickm
June 4th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I've been mixing it with ACV as a post wash rinse. It stays cool and tingly for ages and has the added bonus of making me feel very alert.

lfbddjw
June 5th, 2015, 06:06 AM
I usually mix peppermint EO with argan oil and some burdock and massage it into my scalp after I shower. Granted, I haven't been doing this long, but I'd say that I am losing a bit less hair than I used to.

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2016, 11:15 AM
I'm bumping this up to see if anyone is still using the peppermint oil and if so has it worked? I use it but not daily like I should and do have a habit of stretching washes more than I plan to. I also use other things like fenugreek (methi) rosemary, oils etc but my hair certainly has improved over the last year or two so something is working.
I've made up a little mister bottle with oils including peppermint in it that I spray my scalp with and am trying to do it most days so fingers crossed it's doing something, it certainly feels lovely!

evalina
May 27th, 2016, 11:42 AM
I loved the Peppermint oil/water mixture last year but my seborrhoic dermatitis came back due to the oil so I stopped it.
I just bought a mint plant because I want to try extracting leaves in apple cider vinegar. The plant still needs to grow bigger for me to get more leaves.

kitana97
May 27th, 2016, 05:38 PM
I'm gonna try this tonight! How much oil to EO do you guys do? I think a conditioning treatment with the eo would be nice.

Morri
June 10th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I use pepermint and green tea 1:1 rinse as it helps to keep oily scalp clean for longer. I haven't noticed any hair stimulating effects though, maybe cause the tea has not enough eo in it?

ChloeDharma
June 10th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I use pepermint and green tea 1:1 rinse as it helps to keep oily scalp clean for longer. I haven't noticed any hair stimulating effects though, maybe cause the tea has not enough eo in it?

That's a shame as green tea is also meant to enhance growth. I think you are right about the dried peppermint leaf, it won't have that much oil in it as essential oils in a bottle are very concentrated plus they are volatile so evaporate from the herb easily during drying and if my memory is correct the concentration of peppermint EO was 3%. The only way to know for sure how much of the oil you are getting it to use just the essential oil.
I do still use peppermint oil as well as others plus various other oils including some Ayurvedic blends so I can't say that any one thing in particular is helping but I'm happy with my growth these days and in the last few months I have noticed my roots getting longer much quicker as well as the length seeming to suddenly reach much further down my back to about waist length in what seems a short space of time.
I shall know for certain after I next henna then can see how long it takes for my roots to grow long enough to notice.

Belgrade Beauty
June 20th, 2020, 02:23 PM
That's a shame as green tea is also meant to enhance growth. I think you are right about the dried peppermint leaf, it won't have that much oil in it as essential oils in a bottle are very concentrated plus they are volatile so evaporate from the herb easily during drying and if my memory is correct the concentration of peppermint EO was 3%. The only way to know for sure how much of the oil you are getting it to use just the essential oil.
I do still use peppermint oil as well as others plus various other oils including some Ayurvedic blends so I can't say that any one thing in particular is helping but I'm happy with my growth these days and in the last few months I have noticed my roots getting longer much quicker as well as the length seeming to suddenly reach much further down my back to about waist length in what seems a short space of time.
I shall know for certain after I next henna then can see how long it takes for my roots to grow long enough to notice.

I need to revive this thread! how to use it? I have a bottle, I found some bloggers receipt , she puts it in acv rinse along side TTEO and Lavender EO..It made my scalp itchy. I don't know if it the PEO, cause I used it before in a shampoo, against dandruff, and after some time my scalp is itchy. Is it safe to use? If so, how to use it?

Kathie
August 12th, 2020, 01:40 AM
I need to revive this thread! how to use it? I have a bottle, I found some bloggers receipt , she puts it in acv rinse along side TTEO and Lavender EO..It made my scalp itchy. I don't know if it the PEO, cause I used it before in a shampoo, against dandruff, and after some time my scalp is itchy. Is it safe to use? If so, how to use it?

I’m interested too. I’m wary because peppermint oil is very strong. Does it suspend in ACV and water? If not, the oil is just sitting on the top… when you rinse it through your hair some areas are probably going to get more than others.

curly girl fla
August 12th, 2020, 04:12 PM
I use a few drops of peppermint oil in my scalp oil-Jamaican Black Castor Oil base, peppermint oil, rosemary oil and MSM powder. Scalp massage every night. My hairline is filling in nicely with this combination...peppermint is so tingly-I love it!

Kathie
August 13th, 2020, 04:24 PM
I use a few drops of peppermint oil in my scalp oil-Jamaican Black Castor Oil base, peppermint oil, rosemary oil and MSM powder. Scalp massage every night. My hairline is filling in nicely with this combination...peppermint is so tingly-I love it!

Oh! That's interesting. Congrats on finding a good scalp oil mix.

I wonder if its the increased heat/blood flow that makes this work?

I found this:

"Menthol, the main component in peppermint oil, has been shown to increase blood flow to the area where it is applied. A study in Microvascular Research found that a 4 percent menthol solution caused blood vessels to widen, which increases blood flow."

Philodendron
September 3rd, 2020, 03:16 PM
I did scalp massages with peppermint infused oil before I even knew that it was great for growth.
I think a doctor told me to put it on my forehead for migranes. I love the fresh feeling of the peppermint on the scalp along with a warm feeling of blood flow. Yes! I have done this and will do this forever!

sipnsun
September 6th, 2020, 06:39 AM
I did scalp massages with peppermint infused oil before I even knew that it was great for growth.
I think a doctor told me to put it on my forehead for migranes. I love the fresh feeling of the peppermint on the scalp along with a warm feeling of blood flow. Yes! I have done this and will do this forever!

Yes, it is wonderful for migraines! I keep some peppermint eo in a roller ball diluted with coconut oil and roll it on my neck and forehead when I get one. The smell doesn't turn my stomach and is very cooling and relaxing!

Siv
September 6th, 2020, 06:48 AM
I think a doctor told me to put it on my forehead for migranes.

Yes, it is wonderful for migraines! I keep some peppermint eo in a roller ball diluted with coconut oil and roll it on my neck and forehead when I get one.

What!! I have peppermint diluted in sunflower oil and an empty roller! I need this in my life!!

Thanks for mentioning this :heartbeat:heartbeat

hennalonghair
September 6th, 2020, 01:03 PM
Peppermint oil is my number one essential oil I use. It’s so antifungal / antibacterial and so versatile in its usefulness.

Philodendron
September 8th, 2020, 09:02 AM
That is such a great idea with the roller! I'll do that too and keep it in my purse. :thumbsup: