PDA

View Full Version : I am Having This Big Problem.

TheMaleRapunzel
April 26th, 2015, 02:26 AM
The thing is that I am chewing all my hair out. It keeps getting inside my mouth, and it is a natural reflex that I can't control. I am losing hair follicules like crazy because it keeps over my face and mouth and annoys the hell out of me. If this continues, I won't have much hair to grow, at leat not on the front of my head. I know it is normal to lose up to a few hair strands a day, but I have chewed out several doizen hair strands. The longest that my hair had been before this was to about a couple inches down my ears, which is not short but not really long either. But now, I haven't gotten a haircut in 4 months and my hair was already that length before and now the hair is down to my nape just an inch or two above my shoulder, and I am having issues that I never had before.

Besides the hair chewing, I am having issues with heat and grease. For the first time in my life, my nape is covered by hair and I don't like it. I live in the southern hemisphere and we ha ve just gone through summer, which was the worst summer of my life. Also, I live next to mthe Equator, so it is a particularly gruesome summer. I would wake up in the middle of the night with nape covered in sweat despite the air conditioning. It is really, really unpleasanrt. Then there is the issue of weight, although this might be psychological since hair is really light. I just feel added weight pulling my head down and giving me neck pains. Even though hair is very light, I have extremely thick hair so maybe in my case it is particularly heavy. Then, there is the grease. I bateh twice a day and wash my hair once every couple days, but it doesen't seem to be enough. By the end of the day, my hair is pretty much covered in oils. My hair is straight and fine, so it is very oily. If I got for three days without washing my hair, I can literally comb my hair and the hairdo will stay like that as if I used hair gel. Yes, it is that oily.

Anyways, regarding the hair chewing, I don't want to tie my hair because I consider that effeminate(I am a guy). Also, I am growing my hair to show it off and not to keep it tied. I guess I'll just slick my hair back with gel to keep it off my fa ce or whatever. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Wow, I had no idea that having lon ghair was such a hassle. I stil want to have long hair because I think it wil be a great look in me, but I am distraught

Seventy7
April 26th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Well, easiest way to not chew your hair would be to keep it out of your face. If an updo is not an option for you (I think buns and braids look great on all gender, though), maybe try a headband or a half-up.
A headband might also give your nape a bit of a breather. And showing off your hair does not mean you have to have it out 24/7. You could try buns and braids at home or at night to get some relieve. This might also sort the sweaty nape at night.

Different shampoo or conditioner might give different results in how quick hair goes greasy. What do you use now?

pixiepaws
April 26th, 2015, 03:01 AM
I think that men with long hair look really good and without tying in back or wearing a dread band (unisex hairbands), you limit your options. Also to add men tying hair back is not effeminate what so ever I think the total opposite in men, I think Braveheart. When your hair gets really long wearing it up is a good option as it protects the hair from everyday damage and could help you with preventing you chewing your hair as it is out your face, another option is A hat while you are growing it long. As for the grease I think the heat is probably not helping I would suggest looking for A shampoo for your hair type and experimenting with washing.

Panth
April 26th, 2015, 03:37 AM
Welcome! Here's a couple of thoughts:

1) Hair at collar length is significantly more hassle than longer hair - not only is it too short for braids/buns/etc. but it's also too short to stay put when you put it behind your shoulders. Please do rest assured that this is a temporary hassle associated with that particular length, not a universal feature of all hair that's longer than a bob. Growing your hair a bit longer will actually reduce this problem (although, depending on length, hairtype and styling, may bring new things you'll need to adapt to).

2) The oily issue could be many things. It could be not oil but sweat (likely given your climate). It could be a function of your routine (we'd need to know more about your washing - what you use, how often, etc. to diagnose that). It could just be that you need to wash your hair more often than every three days - that's not atypical. On average, most people here wash between once every 2 days and once a week. People who regularly get dirty (e.g. farmers, mechanics, etc.) or sweaty (e.g. hot climate, regular heavy exercise, etc.) tend to be more likely to wash daily. If the issue is just sweat, not oil (sebum - the natural oil your scalp produces), then you could do something like wash (with shampoo/whatever) one day, just rinse with water (to get the sweat off) the next day, then repeat that.

3) Long hair definitely is not intrinsically effeminate, nor is tying it back/up (also: who said being female/feminine was bad!?). However, I do realise that (depending on country/location/culture) there can be a lot of social taboos regarding men's hair. I suggest you pop over to the Gentlemen thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732) and have a natter with some like-minded longhaired men (and check out some of their fantastic braids and updos!).

Amapola
April 26th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I agree with Panth. The longer it gets, the easier it will be to handle. At night, try combing all your hair to the top of your head in a top knot and secure it with some spin pins. Hopefully you won't need to look fashionable while asleep at night, and it's quite comfortable and won't be on your neck. In the day, maybe try tying a handkerchief over your hair the way the motorcycle dudes do to keep their hair out of their eyes when they are out riding.

I live in New Mexico and there are... 22 tribes of Native Americans here including 2 tribes of Apache and of course the Navajo. Because of this I often see men with long hair when I go in to town. And they wear it in buns or braids or whatever. It looks absolutely fantastic and manly. Don't worry that you will look feminine; you will look like a human being.

cathair
April 26th, 2015, 08:36 AM
I think you need to wash it every day. It must be unbearable if it's that hot trying to stretch washes to several days. You are in quite an extreme climate near the equator. I normally stretch my washes much longer than you do, but if I was suffering that way I would wash it every day. Your hair isn't long enough to have ends that are multiple years old that are very delicate. The reasons for washing it less don't really matter as much at your length. You may be able to change this as it grows longer.

If you scalp gets all gunky, it will get sore. That in turn won't help with the feeling of it feeling to heavy and might cause more shedding. Which is another reason for washing it more.

I'm not sure I would want to use gel. I can imagine that making it feel worse.

Why do you feel that tying your hair back is effeminate? I have known many men with long hair. All of them would at least put their hair into a ponytail. It's just practical. It sounds like there are some deeper thoughts or feelings behind your idea that it is effeminate. Perhaps we can reassure you?

You will feel much better if you can find a way to keep it off your neck that you are comfortable with.

Pamala513
April 26th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I agree with washing it every day, it will keep it healthier, as well as your scalp. As for the chewing...this may sound stupid, but could you chew gum instead? You would have to make sure your hair doesn't get into your mouth, so you won't chew it. Just a thought

spidermom
April 26th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Could you use a bandana to keep your hair back? I agree with washing more often, even every day.

Arctic
April 26th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Hair chewing can be a form of trichtillomania, it's called trichophagia. If this is what you have, then don't lose hope. The recovery is possible even if it's not easy. We have trichotillomania support threads here, but I personally have found a proper peer support forum the most beneficial for my trichotillomania and recovery. Good luck!

I would put my hair in a pony for sleeping, and wash daily if needed. Some people can never stretch washes, me being one of them.

elvenelk
April 26th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Are you a teenager? If so Then its to be expected. You have a lot of hormones flying about. Arctic has sensible advice. Just wash daily and keep hair out of face what ever way is comfortable. Try a bandana maybe?

ZoSo
April 26th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Don't eat where it's windy. Get in the routine of pushing your hair away & back before you take the next bite. You could always wear a hat or hairnet.

-Fern
April 26th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Apparently I'm in a sports mood :laugh: So here's cannon fodder if people give you any **** for wearing something to hold your hair back.

Low-key headbands are nice because you barely notice them:
Sergio Ramos wearing a headband (http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5fk93lERk1ry8gmfo1_500.jpg)

Mauro Camoranesi with headband (http://www.calcioweb.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Camoranesi.jpg)

The nice thing about bandanas is they can also soak up sweat, which is nice in hot weather--and you could easily justify it by wearing your favorite team's colors:
Johnny Depp with chin-length hair wearing a bandana (http://mattobriencomedy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/johnny-depp-actor-bandana.jpg)

Tennis players wearing bandanas (http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/var/plain_site/storage/images/tennis/diaporamas/wimbledon-2e-tour2/llodra-bandana-avec-clement/13476860-2-fre-FR/Llodra-bandana-avec-Clement_full_diapos_large.jpg)

Ponytail, as previously mentioned, is extremely practical. Seen plenty of soccer players sporting them (and man-buns!):
Rafael Marquez with ponytail (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/33/20/94/3320947aee2c94e6d15091e95166b6bc.jpg)

David Beckham was well-known for his locks (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2evjOEM05GM/TC8mkMTo6jI/AAAAAAAAAM4/sL9IYMiu8Ug/s320/beckham_real_madrid_retuen-220x300.jpg)

Mauro Camoranesi with ponytail (http://www.gfdb.com/images/pictures/players/mauro-camoranesi.jpg)