PDA

View Full Version : Help! Everyday has been a bad hair day lately...

Breezy
April 25th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Hi. My hair rant is this: It looks like my hair has hardly grown in 6 months. What has happend? I thinned out some of the bulk of the hair, and thought I did a good job at thinning it. the curl pattern is not the same. It has been 6 months that I trimmed it last. Do you think a trim would help now, although I'm afraid to lose length. The only way I feel I can wear it is in a pony tail every day. , and that makes me mad because I look better with my hair down, but now it looks so bad. why is my hair doing this? My hair is about mid back. Seriously, it really looks and feels bad. It gets frizzy, and just cannot make it do what I want. Does anyone know what this is like? Any advice? suggestions? do you have personal stories of "hair trauma" periods? thank you for reading this.shudder:shudder:

picklepie
April 26th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Sorry you're feeling so bad about your hair! More details will help-- how did you thin your hair? What are you trying to make your hair do, in terms of styling? What is your hair type?

lauren_alia
April 26th, 2015, 02:00 AM
Yes, I think we need more details in order to help you figure out what is wrong. In addition to the ones picklepie mentioned: What is your normal hair routine like? When was the last time you clarified your hair? Do you do any kind of deep conditioning or protein treatments?

Breezy
April 26th, 2015, 07:44 PM
My hair is really thick so I used thinning shears to remove some bulk, but that shouldn't be causing the problems. I haven't clarified or used a deep conditioner either. sorry I can't post pictures right now. When I air dry it never seems to look good or if I blow dry it turns into a frizzy mess. I hope you can help me with some ideas. thanks

swearnsue
April 26th, 2015, 07:56 PM
I would try some deep conditioning. You could try putting coconut oil on your hair a couple of hours before you shampoo and then use a conditioner after. Maybe take a break from the hair dryer for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

What is it you want your hair to do? When you say it doesn't look good, that is different for everyone, so what does it mean to you?

Nadine <3
April 26th, 2015, 08:06 PM
It sounds to me like you have curly hair. After you wash, what do you do with it? washing it, adding a leave in and then letting it drip dry without touching it. This will keep your curls/waves clumped together instead of separating and becoming floofy.

MeAndTheMaz
April 26th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Has your hair actually not grown, or does it just seem like it to you? Curly hair growing sideways is not likely to show much length.

You should be able to post pictures to a hosting site and post the link here. Pix would help.

lauren_alia
April 26th, 2015, 09:28 PM
It sounds to me like you have curly hair. After you wash, what do you do with it? washing it, adding a leave in and then letting it drip dry without touching it. This will keep your curls/waves clumped together instead of separating and becoming floofy.

I agree with Nadine. :agree: The frizz could be from touching or manipulating your hair while it is drying. Once you get it detangled and get your leave-ins in, you should have a strict hands-off policy at least until it's fully dry. If you're already doing that, and still getting a lot of frizz, it could be that your hair is dry and needing a good moisturizing treatment? Or the frizz could be the result of damaged hair. You mentioned blow drying- do you dry it on cool or hot? Do you do any other heat styling? What about dying? Either of those could result in damage that can make your hair look frazzled.

ExpectoPatronum
April 27th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Sounds to me like you have curly hair.

That's how my hair was. I always thought it was straight, maybe slightly wavy, but just frizzy and bad looking. It didn't matter what I did with it, it always looked awful. Then I discovered the curly girl method and came to see that I actually have rather curly hair. You don't need to go full curly girl, but try scrunching your hair with a small bit of cream or gel and see what happens.

Breezy
April 27th, 2015, 08:21 PM
thank you ladies for the ideas. Yes I dyed it a couple of times and I think that it is frazzled. I'll start using deep conditioner. I try to let it air dry and not touch it, but the waves just have a mind of their own. UGH! I'm at my wits end. ExpectoPatronum thank you for reminding me of the curly girl book, I had that book. Do you use shampoo at all, or just the conditioner she talks about in the book?

Breezy
April 27th, 2015, 08:42 PM
thank you ladies for the ideas. Yes I dyed it a couple of times and I think that it is frazzled. I'll start using deep conditioner. I try to let it air dry and not touch it, but the waves just have a mind of their own. UGH! I'm at my wits end. ExpectoPatronum thank you for reminding me of the curly girl book, I had that book. Do you use shampoo at all, or just the conditioner she talks about in the book?