PDA

View Full Version : How is this braided style achieved?

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Hi guys! I saw a lovely and hair-friendly style on pictures of Diane Kruger (from 2012 Champs Elysees Christmas Lights Launch) (http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/IjXvI19He3nl.jpg), and I can't figure out from the pictures how exactly the looping of the braids is done, and I didn't find any tutorials...
I did see a video showing a bit of detail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99fOq0MjXZI), and the placement of braids in the back looks a bit like some triquetra ("trinity knot", trefoil knot) to me? :confused:

Could you guys please help me figure out this style? :flower:

Thank you very much! :)

Arete
April 25th, 2015, 07:36 PM
I'm confuzzled as well, but curious to see what others have to say!

browneyedsusan
April 26th, 2015, 05:44 AM
I think she's wearing a braided accessory that closely matches her hair. Her bun is very large, and the braids are.very thick. No way one person has that much hair. It's awesome, though. Looks super cool. :)

Arctic
April 26th, 2015, 06:01 AM
The braid on top of her head is fake, I'm sure (and it continues to the buns).

lapushka
April 26th, 2015, 06:53 AM
I think it's two English braids braided close to the part line (and with quite a bit of length extensions in), then coiled into a bun and the last bit of the braid is angled over the head.

meteor
April 26th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks a lot for your replies, ladies! :)

I think she's wearing a braided accessory that closely matches her hair. Her bun is very large, and the braids are.very thick. No way one person has that much hair. It's awesome, though. Looks super cool. :)

The braid on top of her head is fake, I'm sure (and it continues to the buns).

I'm pretty sure you are both right, but I'd like to figure out how it's done anyway, because it looks very hair-friendly and my hair does well with updos that start with a few simple braids twisted around. :flower:
I just don't understand the pattern of the looping/coiling done there... Honestly, I can't even figure out how many braids I should start with: my guess is, at least 3 braids or maybe 4?
For example,
1) From 3 braids: One braid for the coronet, two braids for the sides (the base of the triangle) and then the ends of those braids are brought up to make the top corner of the triangle?
2) From 4 braids: One braid for the coronet, two braids for the sides (the base of the triangle) and the top of the triangle is made from a separate braided bun?

And somehow the way the looping is done should look trefoil-like... I don't know how to do that, maybe another, smaller braid is looped and placed on top? :hmm:

I think it's two English braids braided close to the part line (and with quite a bit of length extensions in), then coiled into a bun and the last bit of the braid is angled over the head.

I'm having trouble picturing this, sorry, lapushka... :oops: Or do you mean from 2 braids, but without counting the coronet braid, is that what you mean? Kind of like Option 1 I mentioned above?

lapushka
April 26th, 2015, 03:46 PM
I'm having trouble picturing this, sorry, lapushka... :oops: Or do you mean from 2 braids, but without counting the coronet braid, is that what you mean? Kind of like Option 1 I mentioned above?

Imagine length extensions put in, or very very very long hair. Then picture two English braids done in the back, low at the nape, close to the part line. Then each braid is coiled around to form a bun, but the very last bit of the braid is left out to form the coronet style. That's where the braid/bun ends, over the head. Is it clearer now? I tried... :)

StellaKatherine
April 26th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Hmmm... not necessarely thick hair needed for this, but super long for sure ( if without extentions ). A floor lenght hairstyle ;)

meteor
April 26th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Imagine length extensions put in, or very very very long hair. Then picture two English braids done in the back, low at the nape, close to the part line. Then each braid is coiled around to form a bun, but the very last bit of the braid is left out to form the coronet style. That's where the braid/bun ends, over the head. Is it clearer now? I tried... :)

Oh yes, now it's perfectly clear! :D Thank you, lapushka! :flowers:
Wow, that would require very long hair, possibly Knee+ or longer?
I'm guessing it could also create a bit of asymmetry, if the coronet comes out of only one braided & bunned side, but not the other... :hmm:
I'll keep toying with the idea of how to recreate this hairstyle for shorter hair, but I guess it's one of those styles that would be great for super-long-hairs! :)

What I find is that braided styles are very difficult to reproduce 100%. I can do the same thing from day to day, but the style will look very different on me every day, depending on how the braids were sectioned and pinned.

StellaKatherine
April 26th, 2015, 04:02 PM
meteor, you have such a thick hair... You could braid 4 braids. From two make buns and from other two go once around the each bun and then as a coronet ?

lapushka
April 26th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Oh yes, now it's perfectly clear! :D Thank you, lapushka! :flowers:
Wow, that would require very long hair, possibly Knee+ or longer?
I'm guessing it could also create a bit of asymmetry, if the coronet comes out of only one braided & bunned side, but not the other... :hmm:
I'll keep toying with the idea of how to recreate this hairstyle for shorter hair, but I guess it's one of those styles that would be great for super-long-hairs! :)

What I find is that braided styles are very difficult to reproduce 100%. I can do the same thing from day to day, but the style will look very different on me every day, depending on how the braids were sectioned and pinned.

Yes that's what I thought, knee, at least. I fear though, this can't be done without extensions and it surely wasn't done without them.

Unicorn
April 27th, 2015, 06:11 PM
meteor, you have such a thick hair... You could braid 4 braids. From two make buns and from other two go once around the each bun and then as a coronet ?

I was also thinking the style is based on twin buns, with false hair wrapped around the buns, and forming the headband part.

Unicorn