PDA

View Full Version : Best way for a newbie to learn how to properly bun?

ZoSo
April 25th, 2015, 12:03 PM
My hair is somewhere around BSL, depending on how it's measured. I'm curly (3 something I'd imagine) & I tangle easily. I've been using Shea Moisture gold label products for a year. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week. I've never had my hair analyzed, so I don't know what my protein requirements are. I live in a very humid area. I rock my head a bit in my sleep. I've been off & on doing a top "bun" for less damage when sleeping. I have no clue what I'm doing, but it seems functional for that purpose. I lean my head upside down & gather my hair into a pony at the top somewhere close to the middle. I then twist it into a spiral that's not too tight. Next twist it into a flat circle. Then I use a mini scrunchie to secure it. I make sure there's not noticeable tension on my scalp. It makes my hair poofy in the morning, but drastically reduces tangles.

Right now my goal is Classic or longer, so I'm going to have to get serious with avoiding damage. Normally I ponytail in the same spot every day. I know I need to stop that. I've decided that I'm going to start wearing it up in buns & covered with a beenie type thing for sun protection also. If hair toys are the most effective & least damaging way to bun my hair up, I'm open to using them.

I'd like to learn the basics in how to make buns. Should a sleep bun be in a different place to avoid repetition damage?

komodo
April 25th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Gonna be watching this thread!
from what I've read, you should change the placement of the bun so you're not over stressing your hair.

cat11
April 25th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Watching people on youtube so you SEE the motion and can mimic it. Words can be rhetorical...

as for sleep buns, if you bun in the day too i'd recommend leaving it loose or in braids inside a sleep cap to rest your scalp. And definately move the bun placement. Im horrible about moving the bun placement day to day and I have started to worry about this...

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Check out YouTube, especially TorrinPaige, Beautyklove, Silvousplaits, Loepsie, Haartraum, Andrea 691, 4ypn0tica, Habioku, Pantha, Emi Longhair, Ladollyvita333, ...

They have different hair lengths and hairtypes so you may have to check out and try out different styles before you find styles that work just right for you. HTH! :flower:

lazuliblue
April 25th, 2015, 12:59 PM
This is a great video by Torrinpaige, she does four buns in it I think. Her hair is very long but the first one she does (lazy wrap bun) is the first one that I learnt to do, and my hair was just a bit longer than APL. The cinnabun is also a good one to do if you just go on YouTube and search for it.

http://youtu.be/HcSaBWbBYug

You can use a pencil or even a stick from the garden to see what kind of stick length you would need. I do change where I put the bun on my head to avoid damage.

lapushka
April 25th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I'm a iii as well. It took until waist/hip to comfortably bun. Up until that time, I wore a peacock twist - very comfortable.

teddygirl
April 25th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Youtube! Watching and practicing at the same time really helps. You can pause the video if it goes too far ahead, or rewind if you dont understand. And there are A LOT of videos out there!

Zesty
April 25th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Yep, one word: YouTube. And I'd recommend a silk sleep bonnet/cap/scarf, rather than a bun for sleeping. Gives your scalp a rest and IMO is the most protective style, if perhaps not the cutest (though I guess it depends on your taste :D).