PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil = major shedding?

Arwenlily
April 25th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I have read a bunch on here about the benefits of castor oil and it helping to grow thicker hair. I have been having scalp issues as well as thinning hair and increased shedding, for which I'm seeing a dermatologist about. But I thought I'd try castor oil mixed with coconut oil for a scalp massage/all over oiling for a pre poo. I applied a good amount, maybe too much of the mixture because my hair was covered in the stuff. I put a turbie twist on and left it like that overnight.

I just got out of the shower and I'm freaking out because there was double the shed hair! Maybe even more than that and I'm already shedding too much as it is. Is this the cause of using castor oil? What is going on?

Here is a picture:(right pic is normal shed amount and left pic is today's monster shed)
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/Arwenlily/rsz_shedding_zpszsvw7lep.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Arwenlily/media/rsz_shedding_zpszsvw7lep.jpg.html)

Nique1202
April 25th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Did you apply it to your scalp as well? And, do you normally use oil on your scalp? Some people do find that certain oils cause a lot of hairfall when they get worked into the scalp and not just the length.

Halliday
April 25th, 2015, 11:53 AM
i've heard of this happening with some people, i don't think you're alone. castor oil never did much to my hair.

Arwenlily
April 25th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Did you apply it to your scalp as well? And, do you normally use oil on your scalp? Some people do find that certain oils cause a lot of hairfall when they get worked into the scalp and not just the length.

Yes, I massaged it into my scalp as well. At first I tried applying it alone and it was too sticky obviously, so I mixed it with coconut oil and massaged the mixture all over my scalp and on the length. I counted the hairs from the shed monster and it was about 70 hairs! 70! I really can't afford to lose that much hair.

lapushka
April 25th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself, even the bigger bunch of hair is minimal if you compare it to what I lose. I don't think that's a lot of hair to lose at all.

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Oh, this is quite normal! When you start oiling scalp and/or massaging scalp, you get more shedding than usual. But the shedding should taper off after a couple regular oil massages. If you don't see clear reduction of shedding after a few times, then yes, I would consider other scalp oils or maybe not oiling scalp at all...

CitrusEscape
April 25th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Maybe massaging your scalp with oil is just not the right thing for your hair. Especially since castor oil is one of the heavier oils, it might not suit your hair type. I tried massaging my scalp with all sorts of oils and no matter the oil, or pressure on my fingertips, it just never worked out for me. Perhaps you can try eating more healthy fats in your diet (fish, avocado), garlic/onion, or try indian powders like henna to strengthen the roots of your hair. Hope this helped :)

lapushka
April 25th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Maybe massaging your scalp with oil is just not the right thing for your hair.

I agree. If you experience more shedding than normal, then I wouldn't do it again.

Arwenlily
April 25th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself, even the bigger bunch of hair is minimal if you compare it to what I lose. I don't think that's a lot of hair to lose at all.
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. Do you think though that you are maybe shedding more hair because you have more of it than I do? My dermatologist told me that I'm shedding more hair than average.

Oh, this is quite normal! When you start oiling scalp and/or massaging scalp, you get more shedding than usual. But the shedding should taper off after a couple regular oil massages. If you don't see clear reduction of shedding after a few times, then yes, I would consider other scalp oils or maybe not oiling scalp at all...
I hope this true but I don't know if I'm willing to take the risk. I'm so worried about my hair fall as it is and overall thinning of my hair. Much of the thinning as at the ends from damage but it is scary! Do you think I should keep trying or stop?

Maybe massaging your scalp with oil is just not the right thing for your hair. Especially since castor oil is one of the heavier oils, it might not suit your hair type. I tried massaging my scalp with all sorts of oils and no matter the oil, or pressure on my fingertips, it just never worked out for me. Perhaps you can try eating more healthy fats in your diet (fish, avocado), garlic/onion, or try indian powders like henna to strengthen the roots of your hair. Hope this helped :)

What was applying oils to your scalp like for you? How didn't it work out? I didn't know that henna could help strengthen the roots ... I have been wanting to try henna but I have no idea where to start.

lapushka
April 25th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. Do you think though that you are maybe shedding more hair because you have more of it than I do? My dermatologist told me that I'm shedding more hair than average.

Do you perhaps have an underlying medical issue? I'm just asking...

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I hope this true but I don't know if I'm willing to take the risk. I'm so worried about my hair fall as it is and overall thinning of my hair. Much of the thinning as at the ends from damage but it is scary! Do you think I should keep trying or stop?

Oh yes, if it bothers you, then by all means, avoid oiling scalp and scalp massages. :flower: Personally, I stopped with scalp oils and massages just because I got lazy. But every time I restarted after a long break, I would always get this initial shedding that would taper off after a few applications.

I definitely think a visit to dermatologist or just a family doctor could be in order, if the shedding is something that has increased dramatically for you. A health check-up is always a good thing!

About henna... I hear people can get increased shedding during/right after henna applications due to increased manipulation plus grittiness, as well, no? :hmm:

lapushka
April 25th, 2015, 03:51 PM
About henna... I hear people can get increased shedding during/right after henna applications due to increased manipulation plus grittiness, as well, no? :hmm:

Yep, that always happened to me, due to the mechanical manipulation (the weight on top of the head), then the mud that has to come out... somehow.

Arwenlily
April 25th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Oh yes, if it bothers you, then by all means, avoid oiling scalp and scalp massages. :flower: Personally, I stopped with scalp oils and massages just because I got lazy. But every time I restarted after a long break, I would always get this initial shedding that would taper off after a few applications.

I definitely think a visit to dermatologist or just a family doctor could be in order, if the shedding is something that has increased dramatically for you. A health check-up is always a good thing!

Hmm, I wonder if the shedding will decrease for me. Do you think it worth a few more attempts? Also, what was your routine like when you did oiling and scalp massages? Maybe I'm doing them wrong.

I am seeing a dermatologist actually. So far I'm being monitored for low ferritin levels, and seborrheic dermatitis. There are other speculations as well but we do not yet know the source of hair loss.

Yep, that always happened to me, due to the mechanical manipulation (the weight on top of the head), then the mud that has to come out... somehow.

Did the shedding stop?

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Hmm, I wonder if the shedding will decrease for me. Do you think it worth a few more attempts? Also, what was your routine like when you did oiling and scalp massages? Maybe I'm doing them wrong.

I am seeing a dermatologist actually. So far I'm being monitored for low ferritin levels, and seborrheic dermatitis. There are other speculations as well but we do not yet know the source of hair loss.

I just oiled the night before wash, twice a week, starting with putting a few drops of oil on my fingers and doing a scalp massage for a couple minutes, then I oiled the length heavily, combed out the sheds and braided hair for the night. Next morning, I washed with shampoo and conditioner.

Low ferritin and seborrheic dermatitis can certainly lead to excessive shedding, so I'd address those issues ASAP. :flower: Are you taking prescription iron? Have you tried Nizoral or other ketoconazole shampoo? Or did your doctor prescribe some medicated scalp treatment or shampoo? :)

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Oh, and by the way, with SD, I don't think that oiling the affected skin area (in this case, your scalp) is 100% safe, unless it's an anti-fungal oil, like neem or something... So I'd check with the doctor, to be safe. Avoid oils rich in oleic acid (olive, almond, argan, etc...) because they feed Malassezia fungus, which is linked to SD. It's important to keep scalp affected by SD very clean (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16382685). :flower:

That said, that shedding looks very, very minimal to me. But then again, everybody has different "norms" for daily shedding, so I don't really know.

Ambrielle
April 25th, 2015, 05:42 PM

I was thinking the same, i lose about 4 times that amount of hair whenever i oil and wash mine. :)

Saying that i do do tend to lose more hair when i oil before washing but i believe it is hair that is already ready to come out anyway unless you are manipulating it a lot while applying it to your scalp? Stick to what works for you though.

Arwenlily
April 25th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I just oiled the night before wash, twice a week, starting with putting a few drops of oil on my fingers and doing a scalp massage for a couple minutes, then I oiled the length heavily, combed out the sheds and braided hair for the night. Next morning, I washed with shampoo and conditioner.

Low ferritin and seborrheic dermatitis can certainly lead to excessive shedding, so I'd address those issues ASAP. :flower: Are you taking prescription iron? Have you tried Nizoral or other ketoconazole shampoo? Or did your doctor prescribe some medicated scalp treatment or shampoo? :)

Yes, I'm taking prescription iron and I having been using a ketoconazole shampoo. I was also given a topical ointment but it is a corticosteroid and didn't want to use it. I'm not sure what is causing the shedding but I want it to stop :(

Thank you for all of your help. I didn't realize how much of an impact some oils can have on the scalp. I need to be more careful!

I was thinking the same, i lose about 4 times that amount of hair whenever i oil and wash mine. :)

Saying that i do do tend to lose more hair when i oil before washing but i believe it is hair that is already ready to come out anyway unless you are manipulating it a lot while applying it to your scalp? Stick to what works for you though.

Really? Does it freak you out? I don't believe I massaged my scalp too roughly but I can't be sure.

CitrusEscape
April 25th, 2015, 09:29 PM
What was applying oils to your scalp like for you? How didn't it work out? I didn't know that henna could help strengthen the roots ... I have been wanting to try henna but I have no idea where to start.
When I apply the oils, I slowly and gently massage my scalp with it. My scalp will feel nice and relaxed. But my hairs will keep shedding and shedding until I stopped oiling it. It didn't matter if I used a teaspoon or several tablespoons of oil, my hair would always shed. I've noticed that the pale skin on my scalp would be more noticeable as well...
I've learned that my scalp prefers a dry environment. If I try stretching my washes for more than 3 days, my scalp will get sebum buildup, it starts to itch, little painful bumps will appear on my scalp, and my hair will start to shed as well.
Henna as well as many other hair powders strengthen the roots. But by far, henna seems to be the most powerful root and hair length strengthener for me.
You can visit the "Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare" forum to find out more information about henna. :)

Silverbrumby
April 25th, 2015, 11:33 PM
My scalp hates oiling or even conditioner on it. It feels hot and itchy then sheds like the dickens. I have a scalp fungal condition and i need to use special shampoo to keep my scalp happy.

Btw, if you really are only losing 35 hairs in a wash that's not a lot. I lose 60 to 100 most days.

I don't think I'd continue oiling my hair if i was you. Doesn't sound like it's worth it.

Arwenlily
April 26th, 2015, 12:40 AM
When I apply the oils, I slowly and gently massage my scalp with it. My scalp will feel nice and relaxed. But my hairs will keep shedding and shedding until I stopped oiling it. It didn't matter if I used a teaspoon or several tablespoons of oil, my hair would always shed. I've noticed that the pale skin on my scalp would be more noticeable as well...
I've learned that my scalp prefers a dry environment. If I try stretching my washes for more than 3 days, my scalp will get sebum buildup, it starts to itch, little painful bumps will appear on my scalp, and my hair will start to shed as well.
Henna as well as many other hair powders strengthen the roots. But by far, henna seems to be the most powerful root and hair length strengthener for me.
You can visit the "Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare" forum to find out more information about henna. :)

That sounds awful! I definitely wouldn't want that to happen. Stretching washes really didn't work out for me either. I was able to get to every 4-5 days for a wash but then my shedding increased. This also happened when I tried CO washing, ugh! I can't try anything fun :justy: Thanks, I'll take a look at the Henna threads. Something new would be nice too.

My scalp hates oiling or even conditioner on it. It feels hot and itchy then sheds like the dickens. I have a scalp fungal condition and i need to use special shampoo to keep my scalp happy.

Btw, if you really are only losing 35 hairs in a wash that's not a lot. I lose 60 to 100 most days.

I don't think I'd continue oiling my hair if i was you. Doesn't sound like it's worth it.

My scalp loathes conditioner. It builds up really quickly and makes my scalp itch like crazy. What kind of shampoo do you use?

Yeah, I don't think I will continue to oil with castor oil. I've used coconut oil with no problems for pre poo so I'll probably stick with that for now.

lapushka
April 26th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Did the shedding stop?

It was just a one-time thing, due to the henna. Not a constant thing. If it's a constant thing, you need to look at different things. But in the case of the oil, just don't apply it to your scalp anymore.

Arwenlily
April 26th, 2015, 08:26 PM
It was just a one-time thing, due to the henna. Not a constant thing. If it's a constant thing, you need to look at different things. But in the case of the oil, just don't apply it to your scalp anymore.

Thank you for your help! I'm going to look into henna, it is all very excited. On the one hand, I'd like to keep my natural hair color but with the added benefits of henna I might consider having some fun with hair color.

unicornlady
May 25th, 2015, 06:14 AM

Oddly, I did have scalp soreness because of mechanical manipulation after henna and pain in the roots, yet almost NO hair loss of henna.

However, I oiled a few times recently and after oiling I had significant shedding and scalp soreness. Not afterwards, only acutely when I rinse the oil out. I use oils of good quality, castor and Indian herbal oil mix for hair health.

Could it be that it's not so much the manipulation but that oil affects the hair growth cycle somehow? I'm asking this because I noticed that I also have new growth. Lots of little antennas :) I've also noticed more bumps on my scalp since I started oiling. Could this mean that trapped excess of sebum is being released rather than oiling negatively affecting the scalp? The Indian oil I use has amla oil in it and the manufacturer claims that the oil helps clean the scalp.

unicornlady
May 25th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Arwenlily, diet can help with seborrhaic dermatitis. Maybe you should look into this?

Fungus means that you're eating too much sugar/carbohydrates and that the yeast has overtaken the good bacteria in your body. It begins in the bowel. Yeast feeds on carbs. It can get out of control, especially if one used antibiotics a lot. If any form of fungus problem shows up, it's most likely in your bowels as well and you have systemic yeast problem.

Henna is antifungal so it should help your scalp. But for best and permanent results maybe you shold consider nutrition change.
Unadressed food intolerances and/or yeast overgrowth through too much carb can either lead to gut wall damage, so you're not absorbing your nutrients well. Especially consider diet change if you have any digestive discomfort on regular basis. :flower:

Theobroma
May 25th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Yes, I massaged it into my scalp as well. At first I tried applying it alone and it was too sticky obviously, so I mixed it with coconut oil and massaged the mixture all over my scalp and on the length. I counted the hairs from the shed monster and it was about 70 hairs! 70! I really can't afford to lose that much hair.

I've applied castor oil to my scalp a grand total of twice. It cost me a handful of hair. Won't be doing it again!

Some people just can't put oils on their scalp, and perhaps not anything rich. I shed kittens from CO washing too.